Why is Linux so broken? You have windows binaries compiled 10 years ago which still run...

Why is Linux so broken? You have windows binaries compiled 10 years ago which still run, good luck having an executable run on Linux compiled 6 months ago.

Attached: pepe.jpg (2560x1707, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/phusion/holy-build-box
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you have no idea what you are talking about
Stop now before the ridicule haunts you forever
and you then have to activate your safespace card and
need therapy for years to come

oh oh, see what I mean, I think I see Doug Stanhope coming and he will laugh at your spastic awkwardness

Because Linux has a retarded file system where everything depends on each other. For some incomprehensible reason they actually think this is superior than being able to isolate programs and all their files in one folder. They always say that “Linux is better because you aren’t getting multiple of the same dependencies” as if having to have multiple of a 2kb file for different programs is actually a big deal. The Linux way of structuring files is complete trash and everyone knows it, everyone knows that organizing files by program is simply better and more intuitive and you don’t have to feel like everything depends on each other. Linux users will pass themselves out trying to come up with absurd reasons how they actually like all the files associated with a program being spread about amongst dozens of folders

it really is fucking broken
>windows
>double clicks an *.exe from 2003
>it works flawlessly

>loonix
>can't install a package made for a slightly different version of loonix
>can't install most loonix software without special adjustments to the package or even recompiling
>requires hundreds or thousands of developers just to repackage and maintain software for 1000+ pointless distros that are functionally identical yet require a different packaging format/structure
>can't even just install a program, it depends on 10+ different pointless packages that it utilizes 5 lines of code from
>to do this pointless task it also requires a package manager, a useless peace of software that's only job is to manage this autistic mess
>this is somehow seen as "better" by the retarded developers and bafflingly defended

The only compelling reason for this is when storage space was a problem, Linux is a deprecated operating system that retards defend because they are commie cucks.

So don't use Linux. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Everything in linux ends in a file, everything in linux ends in a file, repeat after me, everything in linux ends in a file.
Do you know what that means. It means even the output to a terminal is captured, in a file somewhere on the system.
the fact that there are dependencies in Linux is no more relevant to linux than it is to windows. Windows also has dependencies, you cannot do any networking in windows without invoking a virtual server host that spurns a lot of dependencies that more than one program relies on
Your anser, in short, is merely that of someone who knows nothing

the downside of having things the windows way is that buggy software survives in linux it get orphaned and removed out of the repos this results in an overall better experience.
If you let users run 10 types of dbus 6 curls shit wont work properly and eventually crash your whole system

So you literally have less freedom with Linux.

Ahahahha, god you're all cucks.

Doesn’t matter how you try to argue its the same on windows, clearly not true if the user experience is entirely different

>files
its actually a mere illusion, everything is managed by a process i can open a file and it could be invoking a process that pretends to be a file.

well we have specialized software to run old apps in containers probably windows does it to, and for libs with different version number you can install them but no one does that, sometimes by making a soft link its enough.

>windows
>turn on ASLR
>nothing works

>linux
>ASLR on by default
>everything works unless you shouldn't be using a computer.in the first place

You're always free to compile from source and do whatever the fuck you want. It's just, being retarded in this situation takes a bit more effort than Windows.

Blame glibc!
Real men compile their shit statically (preferably with musl).
Static ELF binaries from 1995 still run on the current Linux kernel.
Compiling statically would also solve the dependency hell.

>wanting to run an old program is being retarded
cool story loonixcuck

No it isnt. Most things on a windows system ends in a machine only readable file, while most processes on a linux machine end in a human readable file. Face it, windows is for dummies who want microsoft to fix the problems while linux is for people who dont have that much patience, and have a good deal of experience that allows them to fix things themselves. If you dont like linux dont fucking use it. If you cant understand linux, dont fucking use it. If you like windows or apple or some other system use that. Nobody is asking you to use linux, in fact most people will tell you, if you dont know much about the way operating systems work dont use linux. Linux is an experimental desktop operating system but the most stable server system because most qualified server administrators do not need a crummy desktop environment, just the command line

Dealing with a few desktop Linux shortcomings is still better than forced updates that take 2 hours to install for some reason always at the worst possible time

>Static ELF binaries from 1995 still run on the current Linux kernel
I got news for you.
I know a guy who is running a company worth millions of dollars
on databases he wrote in the 1970's on Unix, he transferred those databases with no problem to suse Linux about 14 years ago
they are still running now

>if you're running windows it just works
>if you're running linux you are expected to fix and compile shit yourself
sounds about right

> windows
> just works
Bwahahah.

>no it isn’t
>now let me tell you how it’s entirely different because windows is for retards

Attached: sz6wdwxjjge21.jpg (378x378, 31K)

Nobody gives a fuck about those networking dependencies. The dependencies get annoy when separate programs you use all have to rely on them.

>I know a guy who is running a company worth millions of dollars
lol no you don’t

>windows just works
Until an untested forcibly installed patch breaks it

you misspelled linux

If compiling from source is so easy then why the fuck can’t the devs just do it and put the whole application in a tarball so everyone can use it regardless of distro

Honestly I don’t know how people use windows. Nothing works at all, it’s laggy and bloated, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a less consistent interface.
>plus in usb drive formatted in FAT that works on both OS X and Linux
Windows literally crashes
>turn on tethering on my phone and plug it in the USB port (works and both macOS and Linux automatically)
Windows does.... nothing. No network connection.

And so on. Everything “just werks” in Linux and OS X but not windows.

Okay, Jow Forums, whenever you see a post like this? It's Microsoft paid shills. So this is basically paid advertising and trolling.

REPORT ALL PAID MICROSOFT SHILLS
IGNORE ALL PAID MICROSOFT SHILLS
REQUEST THAT Jow Forums BLOCK MICROSOFT IP RANGE TO PREVENT PAID MICROSOFT SHILLS FROM POSTING

Microsoft liquidated their QA department. You are the QA now.

>no argument against OP.
>insult people who won't spend hours attempting to fix problems which shouldn't exist to begin with.

Yep, Linux users in a nutshell.

I don't run an OS so I spend my time learning how to fix it, I run an OS to get work done. And that means running windows.

I installed it in a vm the other day to test something and noticed the install takes 20 GB.

>install fedora
>everything works out of the box
What the fuck are you talking about?

>lock screen
>get up and take a piss
>windows interprets the locked screen as computer not in use
>reboots and hangs on installing updates for 3 hours
This is what wincels call productivity

Literally /usr/sbin or /usr/bin. Dilate

Windows
>registry settings and config files shitted everywhere
Linux
>typically a single binary

>Try to install Opera 12.17
Windows
>double click .exe
Linux
>libgstreamer0.10 not available

Why are you just straight up lying? Linux is the epitome of files being shitted everywhere. On windows you can choose to install a program anywhere and almost all relevant files go there

>On windows you can choose to install a program anywhere and almost all relevant files go there
this used to be true, these days most programs are spread across like 5 places
>program files
>program files x86
>program data
>documents
>3 different appdata folders
>tmp
>multiple traces, enteries and edits to the registry
truly removing a program on windows is almost impossible now

Just static link everything when compiling

Linux is not an operating system
You can't read kek desu
Lolwut?
>he doesn't even know what he's talking about
Compiling from source IS using code packed in tarballs you fucking wangblows pleb.
Can't disagree there. Been forced to use windows fairly recently and on fairly recent hardware, W10 was the most infuriating, unintuitive fucking thing i'd ever used. There was a reason I switched to BSD 10 years ago on desktop and GNU+Linux a little bit later on laptop

BASED user.

Attached: sage.jpg (240x225, 9K)

That’s an exaggeration, usually like one file might end up in appdata or something, and even then it doesn’t come close to how Linux puts files everywhere

Windows has like 10 layers of backwards compatibility

name one program that uses more than 3 of those

>truly removing a program on windows is almost impossible now
how about use the uninstaller

actually, yes I do, in fact I know several, since I maintain all their client/server/cloud/hosted-web-sites for them

>he's too stupid to resolve dependencies on his own.
This is what your typical windows shill trying to use a real OS looks like.

>Linux
It's GNU+Linux or GNU/Linux. Linux is a kernel, and cannot function in any usable manner on its own.

Attached: 1445336527470.png (806x938, 951K)

That's more the programmer's fault.

At most any well designed program should use program files/x86 (depending on what bit OS you have), appdata and the registry. Ideally your program creates it's own directory that holds anything and everything

>double clicks an *.exe from 2003
>it works flawlessly
Only if you're VERY lucky.

any web browser?

how can a kernel put files everywhere?

flatpacks and appimages solves this problem. they are fuckhuge compared to the packages from official repositories though.

>>requires hundreds or thousands of developers just to repackage and maintain software for 1000+ pointless distros that are functionally identical yet require a different packaging format/structure

biggest oof we really need to standarize

Fuck off reddit wintoddler. You and your 60 IQ crew needs to stop spamming this board

why the fuck a standard user need to know how to resolve dependencies, i know freetards want
everything harder and "customizable", but force it down to everyone's throat???
even sane programmers would call you a retard
everyone here are stating real problems when using gnu/linux. sorry if insulting is your only
way to cope that this community is beyond repair

Most software in Linux shares a bunch of system libraries with other software.If one shits the bed, others might. This is called a "dependency hell.

Either they all stay static, or they all upgrade/downgrade together. The innovation of Free Libre software as a whole as harmed by this as well.

Attached: 25923982390.gif (258x303, 3K)

windows actually uses shared libraries to a limited extent, some software more then others but it keeps legacy ones for much longer.

Linux is a constant cycle of death and rebirth, it's not the kernel. it's the system libraries to blame.

Your "issues" are over exaggerated and your examples are needles hyperbole that shows you never used any Linux distro in your life. Fuck off

>even sane programmers would call you a retard
God dammit user, you made me choke on my food. fucking kek
>why the fuck a standard user need to know how to resolve dependencies
You don't. This is literally the function of a package manager. If it misses one, big deal.
You said it yourself:
>>libgstreamer0.10 not available
In reality it'd probably be bitching about a specific shared object, but nonetheless for this example you'd just look for that package and install it. It's not hard unless you're a complete oaf.

If GTK3 was stable for 5 years or so it would be much lower filesize as you could make PROPER USE of dynamic linking. The gnome dev team loves arbitrary innovation. Updates that provide no value to the user and break compatibility for fun. They view the users home computer as a bug testing ground. These updates maltreat the user and make it harder for developers to learn the Linux ecosystem.

A kind developer might want to contribute to Linux by porting his/her software to the platform. but historically he/she couldn't with all the competing frameworks and updates breaking things. Now he/she can just provide the app image and the source code. You bastards should be grateful indie devs are going out of their way to use these tools to benefit GNU/Linux.

this, you can't even reinstall ganoo licucks without losing installed programs

Sane programmer here, he's a retard
user shouldn't have to care about dependencies, everything that's needed should be installed with a program like it's done on kikedows

>how about use the uninstaller
>depending on the vendor to uninstall cleanly

dnf install
so hard

Fucking please. Linux repos carry so much fucking shitware it's astounding.
Behold, the power of Linux repos.
I mean, technically it's not buggy shit. But it's so inferior to what you can have on Windows that it's just... why even bother.

Attached: ace-minesweeper.jpg (405x454, 86K)

GO THE FUCK BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS CONTAINMENT THREAD. SHILL

Attached: tux.jpg (900x600, 70K)

Try harder. Your "arguments" are fucking terrible

>thepiramideoflogicalfalaciesbitwithcallingopponnentsargumentsbadwithnojustificationorcounterpointatthetop.png

this ain't reddit buddy

Attached: .jpg (306x423, 31K)

well fuck, i cant run a 10yo binary if it's stuck at 26% on updates for 4 days can I?
just installed arch linux like you faggots recommended. it's about 50% faster than windows - i have a 14 year old machine, so it's an accurate estimate - before uou faggots start sperging out. i know the difference if it boots in 20 or 40 seconds. the only thing i'll miss honestly is ahooting tethered to captureone but that's a /p/ thing.

Linux just works, try CloverOS Minimal my man

Attached: desktop.png (1366x768, 487K)

They are still too stupid to make appimages a standard.

>Windows
>Blue screens, some with no fix
>Debian
>No kernel panics
>No time wasting
Yeah, Windows is broken you mean.

>everyone who isn't an autistic loonix fanboy is a shill

ok

>windows 10
>blue screens

Sorry but that's bullshit. Every single piece of software I have run in the last 10 years on windows worked perfectly.

>frogposter
>completely fucking retarded
like clockwork.

So the question is how can we force the free tardiee to fix their os?

why isnt there a cloverOS iso with pre-riced i3?

It's to save memory, not storage

Fixing these. On Windows, I can have portable programs that store their data their folder, so I can put them wherever I want and they just work without shitting up the system. I can also get some games from 1995 working without emulation.

it has nothing to do with the file system
it's the libgcc that has different versions across distributions

why are you so mad?

that's also the reason why WinSxS and dlls in System32 never gets updated

because it's not the standard

Not as broken as you, dumb frogposter.

For a desktop I don't need 10 year old software. Though boomers seem to disagree

T. Installed QuickBooks 1999 for a retired CEO a couple months ago on Windows 10

Firefox 69 just recently broke compatibility with the long discontinued Ubuntu 12.04 (April 2012).

I got a static link of Firefox 68 esr and Thunderbird from Mozilla's website and they still work on Ubuntu 12.04!

Mozilla's static link download of Firefox shows evidence that Linux is capable of long term compatibility. 7½ years and + 1 if you consider the ESR's life span.

There is no excuse why we don't have real LTS distros on Linux that get updated software. These machines are capable of so much more then being slaves to repos.

also bonus for how light the old Lubuntu was

Attached: 12.png (1600x781, 254K)

The Linux standards are garbage.

i get win10 bluescreens all the time

Why should freechads cater to faggot retards like you? Fix it yourself if you have a problem with it

its actually funny when you try so hard every day. youre still a retard though.

Attached: tenor.gif (492x342, 781K)

The RETARD BOOMERS from the 80's thought, (as some RETARD CNILE NIGGERS still do), dynamic linking was a good idea.

EVERY OTHER responses to this thread is INVALID. FUCK I HATE THOSE LOW IQ CNILES.
Every single day I have to deal with people and their shitty distro breaking API dependencies as a developer.
I'm not tempted to REVOKE all the other means of manual compilation and start distributing using snaps. FUCK!
Have a nice day.

If you want executables that work forever just use static linking. Don't complain about large file sizes though.

Not if you take care of your build chain
github.com/phusion/holy-build-box

What part of 'reinstall' don't you understand? It's like wipe-all, clean-slate, tabula-rasa. If your shitty OS lets you keep shit around, it's not reinstalling, just refreshing. On a grown-up system, you'll know enough to save off the configs in /home/whoever and pick up from before the REINSTALL. Fuckin' n00bs and winshills...

Falling for the misperception that linux users are hurting because the market share is not as good as it could be. WE DON'T CARE! Get up to spees, ask for help when you need it once you've tried to work shit out for yourself, and stop whining. If you want everything to work out of the box, buy a Mac. If you have a tiny bit of whereithall, welcome to the community. but don't fuck around with Ubuntu. Try a real distro tjat's not catering to Win refugees...

It's your fault for using proprietary abandonware