/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences. Also: Hot ladies.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Don't dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previously:

Attached: 1459109467910.jpg (640x480, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/questions/478162/how-to-break-a-bash-script-initiated-with-xbindkeys/478169
brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2019/09/23/tecnologia/1569199028_533823.html
stackoverflow.com/a/10204989
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

$ echo "I'm a bit confused. How can I trim multiple spaces to a single space using sed and why is this the result of my commamd?" | sed 's/ */ /g'
I ' m a b i t c o n f u s e d . H o w c a n I t r i m m u l t i p l e s p a c e s t o a s i n g l e s p a c e u s i n g s e d a n d w h y i s t h i s t h e r e s u l t o f m y c o m m a m d ?

| sed 's/ \+/ /g'

Is any of the puppy flavors even light anymore?
it must properly run on 512mb ram

Attached: file.png (618x347, 41K)

To clarify: * matches 0 spaces and more, + matches one space and more.

Comfiest distro for desktop use?

Damn how do you autorun xrandr scripts on startup on kde

Attached: 1568575127272.png (379x492, 221K)

all of them are very light, thing is they have very poor driver support and the installer is dogshit
for me, debian xfce installed from the 600mb iso works pretty much the same but all of my hardware is properly detected and working

windows 10 ltsc

Debian

Thanks

This is what I'm using now; thought I might give Linux another try and see how it has progressed.

Thank you for the recommendation, I haven't used Debian since Squeeze.

Seriously, Debian is the way to go.

What beginner friendly distro is best for privacy? Been using Ubuntu, thinking about trying Mint or Manjaro.

Attached: 1568689046155.png (754x719, 608K)

trisquel

only because it's the abyssal void of lonely weeb NEETs who use it and even a third world hacker knows there's nothing of value to be gained from harvesting their information lmao

ok, install hardened gentoo :^)

>oneliner
shntool ... flac && ffmpeg -y ... output.mkv
second part is executed when first part was successfull

what line do i need to add to config to execute a bash script in xbindkeys?

i just add to ~/.xbindkeysrc
"scrot.sh"
Print

do i have to specify a path to scrot.sh or is there a folder where xbindkey searches for these like /usr/local/bin?
sorry bout dumb question

you could specify the absolute directory e.g. /home/user/scripts/scrot.sh
for me it's in my $PATH
you can add to $PATH by adding something like this to your ~/.bash_profile
PATH=$PATH:~/scripts
which appends the ~/scripts folder to $PATH so the executables in there can be accessed directly from bash
check your $PATH with
echo $PATH

okay one last question if you don't mind, what would be the best way to end the script? it's a script for recording sound from the sound card so it has no specified length and i'd like to end it with a keybind, is there a smooth way to end the script non-forcefully? i found
unix.stackexchange.com/questions/478162/how-to-break-a-bash-script-initiated-with-xbindkeys/478169
but can something like this be bound to the same combination as starting the script or is that impossible?

actually the pkill doesn't seem to work at all, the mp3 file gets really weird doesnt seem like it stops recording at all

what program is doing the recording?

ffmpeg, i run ffmpeg -f pulse -i 0 -map '0' file.mp3

Stallman se demitiu. Seus casos de cantadas inconvenientes e flertes insuportáveis eram conhecidos naquele círculo. E também suas esquisitices. Há no YouTube um vídeo com mais de 600.000 visualizações em que ele cutuca o pé e come uma bolinha de sujeira. No longo e-mail que enviava às instituições onde dava conferências, ele pedia que não dormisse em hotéis —para que as autoridades não soubessem onde estava—, listava os formatos em que podia-se gravar sua palestra (.ogg) e dizia que gostava de “papagaios amistosos”, caso alguém tivesse um.

Google Translate:
Stallman resigned. His cases of inconvenient singing and unbearable flirtation were known in that circle. And also your oddities. There is a video on YouTube with over 600,000 views where he pokes his foot and eats a ball of dirt. In his long e-mail to conference institutions, he asked that he not sleep in hotels — so that the authorities would not know where he was — list the formats in which his lecture (.ogg) could be recorded and say he liked it. "friendly parrots" if anyone had one.

brasil.elpais.com/brasil/2019/09/23/tecnologia/1569199028_533823.html

Attached: Capturar.png (678x597, 299K)

weird, i actually have scripts that do exactly that and it works.
#!/bin/sh
ffplay /dev/video0 &
ffmpeg -y -s 1920x1080 -f x11grab -i :0.0 -f pulse -ac 1 -i default out.mkv &

#!/bin/sh
pkill ffmpeg && pkill ffplay

try sending a different signal
stackoverflow.com/a/10204989

also to have 1 key do start and stop, i would make a script that checks if ffmpeg is running and then either kills it or starts it.

pkill ffmpeg works, thank you very much

Does every partition of every device have its own root? What does (gen)fstab do?

My shot in the dark summary:
genfstab identifies every partition of every device in the scope of the blank here
_______ >> /etc/fstab
and finds their UUIDs and displays how their roots have been mounted with respect to the primary system's root/file tree

also how do you format text to show as code (lol)

DEBIAN 9 they really fucked up 10 performance-wise (spectre mitigations) that you might not feel on a fast machine but its noticeable

Does Xubuntu actually feel more windows like than MATE?

Thoughts on nextbrowser?

Quotes!

no not every partition has a root.

sda 8:0 0 167.7G 0 disk
─sda1 8:1 0 191M 0 part /boot
─sda2 8:2 0 16G 0 part [SWAP]
─sda3 8:3 0 151.5G 0 part /
sdb 8:16 0 238.5G 0 disk
─sdb1 8:17 0 238.5G 0 part /home

In this, sda3 is the root partition, with sda1 and sdb1 being partitions "mounted" on the file directory.

pretty sure gen-fstab (at least the arch script) just formats text to be suitable for /etc/fstab. The text that it formats is probably just a sed or grep command.