At what age did you become fluent in English? Also, do you guys hear your own accents?

At what age did you become fluent in English? Also, do you guys hear your own accents?

Attached: Untitled.png (368x372, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0vF7us5teNU
youtu.be/Yo1W47yu5fw
vocaroo.com/i/s0D9uFRyvuRc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By fluent, I mean knowing our proverbs and slang. Not the shit you learn in school.

I'm a fully grown English man and I'm still not fluent in English

I know you aren't, since you can't understand what "For those that don't speak English as their first language" means. XDDDDDDDDDDD

14 or 16

22-23 Right after I returned from my overseas scholarship, I guess that's the point when I became flooint in Engurissu. I do hear my own spic accent but I find it funny and it's never been an issue to talk to anglos or other peepul so I'm not going to try really hard to talk like somebody from Southampton or Nigcago

I watched a shit ton of American movies and series so i got an extremely obvious 'merican accent

I'm the only one on my dad's side of the family that isn't fluent in Italian. My dad came to Canada when he was 6 was always embarrassed speaking Italian around his friends when he was growing up, so he didn't teach my Italian from birth because he felt that I'd be embarrassed, too.

He basically fucked me out of my free pass of bilingualism, which sucks because I've always been fascinated by languages. We are forced to take French class in Canada from I think grades 4-9, but none of us remember any of it.

The fact that even though we have mandatory classes for a different language, yet we don't retain it, while the rest of the world actually retains the English they learned makes me think that people learn English out of necessity.

But I've only spoken English all my life and haven't been in any environment where English wasn't an option, so I can only assume these things.

My dad learned English through TV as well. He fucking loved cowboy shit when he was a toddler.

16 pretty much desu

They don't teach shit at school here so the only thing I took away from it is the alphabet. I started actively learning english in 2010-2011 (19-20 at the time) by watching random youtube memes, reading Jow Forums and chatting on skype.
In about a year I stopped actively learning it and switched to the passive mode. Still had to look up a shitton of information, so I'd call it a semi-passive mode.
By 2013 I could somewhat decently understand most of the content in text and anything with the american accent. I still haven't spoken even once in english by then.
Since 2013-2014 I'm in a full passive mode. Currently I'm fluent (highest TOEFL score), but until a few years ago I still had very little experience actually talking. I was already at the C1-ish level, but at the time I had only spoken in english for less than 10 times in my entire life, outside of the school lessons where they force you to read shit.
A few years ago I found some people online who I'd play with and gradually I went from very short and modest callouts to proper conversations. Then I also found a remote job in the US where we had briefings every morning and I also had to talk quite a bit there. So I finally got the vocal part figured out for me.

The accent is still there. Haven't worked on it at all, but it's not extremely thick, and doesn't sound like that stereotypical russian accent at all. Most people can tell that I have an eastern slavic accent, but usually can't pinpoint which one exactly.

It took me 20 years to understand my Nonna's accent and she died shortly after.

I had to google what 'C1' meant, which makes me realize I should have asked people what they'd rate themselves. The way you type is at an extremely advanced level, and honestly would have doubted that you actually are European if it weren't for the flag and your story; you're better at English than most of the people here. I've read that in Japan, they (millennials) are all pretty fluent in English when it comes to reading it, but because of the way they're taught in school, they aren't adept at communicating in person. The reason they all give is because they don't get any practical experience with speaking it, which sounds similar to what you were getting at. Grats on figuring all this shit out from basically nothing. :~}

Thanks. English education is the same around the world, I've asked people from many other countries about it. They all try to teach you the grammar first. And obviously without the actual use cases or proper practice it creates a huge entry barrier, and is essentially useless knowledge.
For example, here they'd teach you the "to be" verb and all its nuances before they even tell you how to say basic things.

I'm more leaning towards the school of thought that believes that you should learn languages the same way newborns do it. Nobody teaches the grammar. In fact, you can be fluent in your native language and be a complete shit when it comes to grammar.
They learn it through hearing and mimicking. They'd associate objects, actions and events with certain words, and build their vocabulary this way (instead of grinding anki decks for instance). They'd adopt basic sentence structures and use them as a template to express themselves (instead of grinding grammar).
It's very difficult to do it this way, but I believe that it's natural and much more practical. I'll be learning my next language in the exact same way.

when I was about 10
I learned most of it from Dexter's lab on cartoon network

Attached: 1393756663353.jpg (943x1280, 198K)

i dont know when exactly i became "fluent" but i could speak it really well at like 7-8 even if i only used the basic stuff like present simple i was able to express whatever i wanted to say, but i became completely fluent later at like 12

also, i learned it mostly through Club Penguin and then Minecraft, and a bunch of other games i played, plus i didnt have any friends so i was talking to people online a lot and somehow moved from there to only talking to foreigners through the internet, dont know how it happened exactly desu

>At what age did you become fluent in English?
Never did.
>Also, do you guys hear your own accents?
vocaroo.com/i/s0vF7us5teNU

I didn't, my english is shit.

Nobody retains school education. I was studying in a school that had 6hours of english and english literature a week starting right away and I didn't learn anything from it other than literal basics. Only got better because I was leading raids in WoW for 3 years.

around 12 i became top english speaker in my class. my english teacher hated my guts because i was somewhat of a chad in my shool and i would skip classes all the time, but she could never punish me by giving me a bad grade
don't know what my accent sounds like, it definitely doesn't sound eastern european at this point, tho. i've always been curious how it sounds to natives.

youtu.be/Yo1W47yu5fw

why am i not learning japanese when i watch anime?

I am really bad in english, I can understand simple things but is very difficult to me make my own prayes ( for example I had to translate the word prayer and own to write this)

That learning "to be" shit is exactly how my french class was in middle and high school. They focus so much on it being the "root" verb to everything. I firmly agree with what you are saying in relation to learning languages. You don't learn from straight repetition, you learn from association. If I show you an apple and tell you it's pomme, you will associate that word to the apple and retain it much easier.

I'm still learning British English crap with linguistics. I wish it was as easy as learning the language itself but it isn't.

I'd say at around 16 or 17 when I started talking to americans, aussies and brits online. Before that, I had formal knowledge of english, and I was already consuming a fair amount of content in english, but there's nothing quite like talking to a real person to learn a language.
As for my accent, it is downright terrible, as I just can't make certain sounds, like "th" which gets replaced by "v" most of the time, or "r". But when I speak in english in my mind, I have a fairly standard american accent I'd say. I certainly don't speak with my weird accent, which caused me a lot of trouble when I began talking in english to other people.

First language was Japanese, became proficient with English around 3-4.

Proficient for someone my age, I guess, but I obviously didn't know anything complicated because I wasn't in school

Why are you creating prayers?

My English isnt fluent but i can write in english very good. I dont have any accent i just speak as shit. I learned english when i was 15 years old.

I don't know when exactly but I played a lot of vidya, watched Simpsons, Family Guy and English-speaking movies so I knew some stuff early. I hate it when people literally can't understand a single word of English because it just goes to show how retarded they are

Attached: ourgirl.jpg (225x225, 11K)

sentences* (this is an example of my bad english)

Grew up speaking a little English (private school) but started speaking more fluently when I moved to a English speaking country, where I've been living for over a decade. Ive generally adopted the accent in the country I currently live in but still retain remnants of my samoan accent when I say certain words

Moved out of my country of birth when I was about 10

Surprised this thread isn't dead, but I figured it was random and fit the initial goal of Jow Forums pretty well. :~}

Anyway, I always assumed that you guys in Europe were always just stuck with shitty dubs of popular movies and shows, so I don't have a realistic grasp on how much exposure you guys get outside of Jow Forums and multiplayer games.

One thing that just occurred to me was the proximity of European countries:
I'm from Ontario, Canada, and I'm only ever match made with people from Ontario, Quebec, and some Northeastern states. I'm only ever exposed to English since the majority of my continent is English.

If somebody was playing a game in Austria, they'd be surrounded by countries like Poland, France, Italy, so I'm assuming you guys would be thrown into one server.

Do you guys all just speak English to each other as a common language?
Oh yeah, and: There's nothing more humiliating for an English speaker than not being able to understand somebody else's accent. We feel like complete fucking assholes since you know that it's not their first language and they're doing you the favour by speaking English.

vocaroo.com/i/s0D9uFRyvuRc

Where you trying to say "cheng chong"?

around 8
and yes i can hear my accent, its gay and british and IT JUST OWONT STOP AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Between 12 and 14.
I used to play World of Warcraft and I'd say that helped me a lot.
Although before that I used to watch documentaries on discovery channel and national geographic.
We get a lot of American television here, it has subtitles but it's almost never dubbed.

And when it comes to my accent, yes I can hear it, it's strange though, my American friends tell me I have a German accent.

at about 9 or 10 when my spanish stepmother moved in.. over time my english voice became more and more british, but i wouldnt say its quite like an accent

brappapapapppppapaoaapapppp

Attached: E859968F-7A7F-4286-B0E4-A799658D6319.jpg (1280x960, 130K)

aXXo,Yify,ETRG and Ragnarok Online

wasted my youth and early 20's on movies and online games.

About 14, but I still suck at accents.

show bobs yuuka

6 didn't know much Spanish to begin with so it wasn't hard. Sound like any other Floridian.

About 11 or 12. I didn't learn it from movies or shit, I learnt it from the Internet. I can't recognise any accent except for British and Australian. People tell me my accent is all over the place. It's generally Slavic, but I say many words in the only 2 accents I recognise.

I learned english mostly from pokemon and harry potter, i was fluent when I was about 12. I have an american accent.

lol imagine ACTUALLY like ACTUALLY having to learn AMERICAN because we are so much better than you lamao

>At what age did you become fluent in English?
I didn't. Can only type.
>Also, do you guys hear your own accents?
I could hear my own accent, If I spoke native before and then suddenly realised that I'm actually slav.