Why is there such a huge emphasize on spelling in america?

Why is there such a huge emphasize on spelling in america?
What‘s with weird stuff like „spelling contests“? And all the pushing and pulling on preschoolers to „learn their abc‘s“?
Is it true that a lot of americans suck at their own language? Why? Is school so bad or are they just kind of retarded?

Attached: A83B3282-E89C-42F8-B790-3DFFE6D1AE84.jpg (530x604, 38K)

the schooling is absolute ass OP

It‘s very strange to me to see how parents are forcing reading/writing and numbers on their still very small kids. In switzerland you just leave the babies the fuck alone with this untill age 5 (obviously only if they don‘t show some interest sooner and ask/want to learn about something. Usually halpens when there‘s older siblings.) all the books/apps/songs/shows for playgroup aged kids are about learning shapes/alphabet/numbers/colors. It seems like complete overkill. Are kids entering kindergarden supposed to already be able to calculate and read/write?
It also seems strange that all this doesn‘t result in people having perfect spelling as adults. It makes no sense...

English has more words than any other language. Whereas other languages are generally efficient and phonetic, English isn't because it's an odd combination of Frisian Germanic and some French words as a result of the Norman invasions.

>It seems like complete overkill. Are kids entering kindergarden supposed to already be able to calculate and read/write?
>Is school so bad or are they just kind of retarded?

Painfully illogical. Children have great neuroplasticity, for example the sooner you learn how to speak and write different language, the better you will pick it up. The real reason why Americans are not educated is because of poor spending on education. There is little incentive for good teaching, unlike Europe. Not to mention that higher education is highly privatized to the extent that it is NOT affordable without putting yourself in debt or joining the military. Kikery at its finest.

Also, Switzerland is a small country. If you had the same population as the US, along with the diversity, you would have most of the same problems. I'm not saying that Switzerland isn't great, I'd much rather have been born there, but it's the gated community of Europe. Your currency is strong, your manufacturing industry is as well, and you can actually afford to pay your teachers. In Switzerland you could even work a menial wage-slave job and be rich, comparatively.

>spelling
They are fucking retard.If text say "penis", normal people spell it "p-e-n-i-s", not "pee-i-en-ai-es".

Stop saying penis to children.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 14K)

terrible schools. Also a great past time to use against niggers who couldn't pass poll tests.

Because OP, our entire school system is such trash that im suprised i know even basic grammar

>They are fucking retard. .If text say "penis", normal people spell it "p-e-n-i-s", not "pee-i-en-ai-es".
Write a sentence which is actually coheres, then we'll talk. You're the Dunning-Krueger effect exemplified.

You really can see how fucked English is by how they can not even spell each letter correctly
Most English don't know basic grammar
They don't know the difference between ye and you, they don't know the difference between thou and thee
They don't know the difference between hast have and hath
They don't know how to form new words without being dependent on Latin Compounds
Most Englishmen simply don't know English

he's talking about what you alluded to here>Whereas other languages are generally efficient and phonetic, English isn't

English is a Germanic language you fucking retard.
English doesn't need that "basic grammar" in this sense because our grammar has simplified to make it easier to understand, teach, etc.

There is no difference between ye, and you, thou and thee in modern English.

There is no difference between hast, have and hath.

Neologisms are like the one thing our poets are good at, at least Chinese poets have tonality to play with, what do German poets do? Try to arrange words so the most phloem per second is coughed up?

English has become simplified, and is better off for it by a fair margin, especially when German, the parent language, has 16 definite article, indefinite articles and 30 adjective endings.

I would rather use "have" for all cases of hast have and hath than decide which of the 60 different prefixes I need to make sure the person I'm talking to knows the table HAS A PENIS.

English has become more simple and analytical, and it's for the best. We're heading towards a non-tonal, analytical language with fewer verb tenses and minimal lexical morphology. This will make it easier on speakers and learners alike.

Sincerely, a person who's native language isn't even English, who simply doesn't have their ass so stuck up their head they can't recognize it's benefits.

Attached: mp.png (256x256, 92K)

>Blaming the Jews for your educational system.
>Israel has one of the best educational systems in the world.

Is it possible to learn to be this retarded?

Attached: tumblr_phy11vdkWa1ropk90o1_1280.png (720x960, 272K)

>our poets
>a person who's native language isn't even English
hol up

Good point. Fucking male tables is gay.

lol

I was phrasing it to emphasize the us versus them dynamic of a fluent speaker of English, me, and a non-fluent speaker, them. They complain about English speakers not knowing English grammar while having imperfect English grammar.
Thanks for your support. Yeah, I can actually hold a conversation and write emails in German, but the genders are so goddamn retarded.

why would you do that
and what's your native language? were you born in ireland or did you move there?

Because us versus them arguments are more fun. This is Jow Forums, not Jow Forums.

Born here, first word Irish, studied more Irish than English, mother didn't know English till 7, grandparents didn't know English outright. Considered a fluent speaker by native speakers, so given my background, and being an Irish native, I can say with certainty that Irish is my native language, as it was also my first.

However, due to the educational system and globalized media, my understanding of English has now exceeded it, sad. I still prefer Irish to English, and speak it with family and friends who are able, but I recognize that regardless of the history of the language, the simplicity of English makes it the best current natural language to use as an international auxiliary language.

The next closest candidates are Chinese and German. One has tone. The other has strong grammatical gender.

English has neither, so is the obvious superior choice.

>There is no difference between ye, and you, thou and thee in modern English.
>There is no difference between hast, have and hath.
Only if you have never visited the British Countryside
>Neologisms are like the one thing our poets are good at [...] what do German poets do?
For one creating actually sensible and comprehensible neologisms that aren't dependent on some dead language.
>Try to arrange words so the most phloem per second is coughed up?
Words in German are generally more concise though.
>English has become simplified, and is better off for it by a fair margin, especially when German, the parent language, has 16 definite article, indefinite articles and 30 adjective endings.
German only has 3 articles though; kein, ein and der.
All else is inflections of it.
>I would rather use "have" for all cases of hast have and hath than decide which of the 60 different prefixes I need to make sure the person I'm talking to knows the table HAS A PENIS.
looks like you don't even understand grammatical gender
because grammatical gender is not only related to the gender of the word itself but also whether or not it's in plural or singular, whether it's a diminutive, whether the word derived from of a verb or a compound and so forth

wow, that's interesting, i didn't know there were people who still had irish as their first language. or are you possibly an older gentleman?
>the simplicity of English makes it the best current natural language to use as an international auxiliary language
i agree, though pronunciation and spelling is really illogical imo, but what can you do. i don't know enough to say if it's grammatically simpler than languages with more simple and crisp pronunciations and spellings like spanish or italian and i think it also helps that media is so oversaturated with it and gets drilled into your head constantly.

i've never studied english for example. we had it in class since like the fourth grade but i've never done any homework or had trouble with tests or getting straight As, just because i was watching the cartoon network as a kid in the 90s before it was translated into bulgarian. it really seems to me like i just picked it up out of thin air and then it was reinforced by watching movies with subtitles

The British countryside is not all of England.

Latin isn't the only source for our neologisms, many come from English itself, German or French.

Sure, NATURWISSENSCHAFTEN sure is more concise than science.

>Die and dessen are the same word.
Only a German could be this dumb.

I know, I study German. It's still pants on head retarded, especially with how many other words it affects. It's a HUGE amount of complexity for very little function.

Rural British borneth and raised, thou hath talked much bollocks here ye falsifier.
Are you thinking of the 1400s?

Not particularly old, but my parents are, my mother's home village was fairly isolated. That and I take a personal interest in the language, which helps with my ability to use it.

I know three people who, unlike me, not only had it as their first language, but who speak Irish and only Irish at home, watch TG4 (Irish language TV channel.), listen to Radio na Gael, and so on and so forth, and two of them are younger than me. I also know of a fellow fluent speaker who like me had it as his first, lost it a bit because of English, and picked it back up.

Italian and Spanish have grammatical gender along with a more complex tense and case system.

And yeah your English is better than that German pretending to know what he's saying. Just make sure to press the shift key at the start of each sentence and you're better than some English people at English.

Attached: There+is+no+restraining+the+monster+_9d28e702bf5440251d82d1b19e6c7987.jpg (326x319, 30K)

Thank ye kind Brit for coming to the aide of an Irishman.

Must be a first of some kind.

We aren't ALL bastards, despite what you may have heard.

Yeah, I'm good friends with as many Brits as Irishmen. Both have their ups and downs. I don't understand the bad food stereotype either, the only time I had potatoes I actually enjoyed, they were prepared by an Englishman.

I don't understand Liverpool though, they'll stab you for pronouncing something funny but freak out if you point a water gun at them screaming "PUT THE FUCKING GUN DOWN.".

Okay, yeah. They are.

Who are what?

Liverpoolers are fucking crazy?

>The British countryside is not all of England.
Yet it shows you that what you say and pride yourself about the English language does not apply to all its speakers, it only applies to standardized humans. People are free to speak as they do and as they have learned from their elders
>Latin isn't the only source for our neologisms, many come from English itself, German or French.
If the words true meaning are only beknown to the forger of the word it denies the very basic knowledge of a language to their speakers
>Sure, NATURWISSENSCHAFTEN sure is more concise than science.
Wissenschaft is the better word, science is a meaningless word and having just one syllable less doesn't make it "the godking of semantics"
>Die and dessen are the same word.
>Only a German could be this dumb.
They are
In any inflective language the word doesn't become a new one if you change the case or sex ending.
>I know, I study German. It's still pants on head retarded, especially with how many other words it affects. It's a HUGE amount of complexity for very little function.
Well, deal with it then
Languages aren't designed to be easy for that learning.
What you find needlessly complex is so simple for the speaker of that language that he doesn't even think about it, he can only see the usefulness in it

To be honest the knifey types are probably just trying to steal your phone/shoes.

This post was a good laugh to read but of no actual value. Goodbye.
Heck, have fun stealing my crocs.

Attached: z button.png (417x299, 91K)

well fuck you too then islandmonkey

>inselaffe
>irish
Can't even German correctly.

sorry he must've been a continental irishman

interesting, must be a struggle trying to keep the language alive in your situation.
>Italian and Spanish have grammatical gender along with a more complex tense and case system.
as far as i know there are no cases in italian and spanish but they do definitely have grammatical gender.
>Just make sure to press the shift key at the start of each sentence
this is my own autistic thing, i don't like using too much punctuation or caps when i type on Jow Forums, makes conversations feel more relaxed and informal to me. i can type properly just fine when i need to or when i want to samefag lol

>What‘s with weird stuff like „spelling contests“? And all the pushing and pulling on preschoolers to „learn their abc‘s“?
a remnant from america's past, back from the late 18th century to the early 19th century when americans were obsessed with being seen as having the cleanest and most proper dialect of english, take the creation webster's dictionary for example. having perfect language--writing and spelling-- for a democratic society was the big obsession. spelling b's and other events exist because of it.

Back when you'd be able to feed a family of 9 for a nickel, when you would live to the ripe old age of 35, when you could wake up every goddamn morning with a Bible in one hand and a chicken-fried steak in the other and be proud that you live in a country that will violate MY civil rights to keep ME safe!

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 92K)

fuck off commie

Attached: 1537565428994.jpg (1776x3560, 1.96M)

It was shit when I was in and now it is even worse.
I was talking to a math teacher the county has set up all the test for her class, they are done via computer (they can do them at home so are essentially open book), are multiple choice, and they get to retake the test as long as they do corrections on the test they failed. The days of hand holding are here, they basically can't fail if they put in effort.