How are toyotas so reliable?

I've seen toyota daily driver cars still running from the 90's with the original engines. These cars have reached 1 million miles, and they have been shown to go against the odds.

Attached: come-at-me-bro.jpg (700x450, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

autonews.com/article/20071029/ANA03/710290344/company-s-quality-crusade-was-launched-by-an-american
motor1.com/news/306814/toyota-supra-2jz-swap-kit/
google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-toyota-truck-looks-like-after-1-000-000-mi-1776141464/amp
farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=646
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>How are toyotas so reliable?
1) actual engineering (not "designing")
2) quality control (not "assurance")

/Thread

Both of mine were reliable but literally rusted apart, could see the road through the little floorpan hole on my corolla in its last few months

not your personal adspace

Wash your car you mong.

My 96 Camry wagon pulled my 98 4runner out of a ditch the other day.

The 3.0 litre in 80's-90's trucks was the biggest POS ever.
Toyota had a good run with the four bangers like 22R and had advantages like drain plugs on the diffs and tanks in case you forded a river.
But even then the 80's Toys had shitty birfield joints, bad coil ignitors, charge/alternator issues and rust issues. The firewalls rotted and cracked fucking up the clutches and radiators rotted too early.
Toyota is not the holy grail, and even the reliable ones still had issues.
We call them Birfield road Blocks.And the 3.0 V6 is the biggest junk engine ever.

My Toyota drove me from Damascus to Homs and back

Good tolerances. If you keep a toyota's oil changed it will go 300k easily.

>tfw you don't get the Hilux in the US of ZOG.

Attached: Sad_cat.jpg (500x426, 28K)

Still have a Toyota truck from the 70s on the farm, works perfectly

Frames cracked at the leaf spring mount. The only trucks Ive seen snap in two were all Toyotas

>works perfectly
Until the niggers get ahold of it....

There was a class action lawsuit and a recall iirc.

Was driving on a dirt road, after it rained, once in a brand new Toyota Prado. Lost control of it and went off the road and through a farm fence. Toyota camry came strolling past us 10seconds later lol

My 05 is running like a champ shes got 350k miles but I have found that the heat core is going out since I am loosing coolant there.
Damned japs put it behind the dash in the middle with no easy access panel.

No nigger in the northern cape, plus the farm is to far from everything. One family member of a worker came to visit a few years ago, walk from town (very far), went missing and we found him dead a few days later, died from dehydration

The tercel wagons SR5 were great. They had an extra low gear. Mine would fit between gates and rally the ATV trails. I filled the coil springs with tennis balls and on mustang Island my 85 tercel did a filmed 100 foot jump between sand dunes, and a week later ran a 18 second quarter mile at the track. The tercels were tough. ugly but tough.

3.4 is god though. Just gotta stay on top of rust by washing the salt off your vehicle like a thinking man does.

I think everyone does that now. Not an excuse though. Fuck the asshole who started that.

>3.0 liter shit
What did he mean by this?

Attached: Charming-Toyota-Supra-2jz-71-With-Additional-auto-car-wallpaper-with-Toyota-Supra-2jz.jpg (1920x1080, 547K)

subaru justy is all user needs

I had a tuned 3.4 in a T100 and it would smoke any SBC. The 2.7 and 3.4 are the best engines toy made indeed.
but even in Colorado toys rusted with no salt and a dry climate.
I just drug in a blue 85 xtra cab with 22R. It is the least rust free toy ive ever found and I live in a mudhole that salts everything. I dunno why some rust and some dont.

Lmao I was just asking because I have a 2002 camry v6 engine that still runs that bought used and the only shit I have done to it is change the fluids and right now I have to change the struts because of pos roads over here. Literally there are potholes almost everywhere. I learned my lesson not to take the small roads which have horrible pot holes and stick on highways which have better roads.

I watched boost logic smash the record in a supra.
The 3.slow was a V6 with head gasket issues and you couldnt adjust the valves. The 3.0 V6 is maybe the shittiest motor ever. But 1988 was the "year of Power" if you need a 3.slow.

Diesel mercedes are the best to hit 1,000,000 miles. Its extremely common for them

That's because your car was exposed to a salty climate which will rust any car you fucking sconce

Toyota's quality is compliments of American Autism
autonews.com/article/20071029/ANA03/710290344/company-s-quality-crusade-was-launched-by-an-american

Attached: 20181115_080656.jpg (4032x1960, 3.32M)

>3.0 shitty
>Makes over 1,000 HP

pick one

>blocks your path

Attached: xjrocks.jpg (1024x680, 243K)

>Transmission gives out

Attached: 1542144695948.jpg (807x802, 74K)

Strip all the old paint off down to the metal. Patch and re-weld the rust holes. Now you can spray some epoxy primer over the entire body and every tiny place that never got proper rust protection. Then spray a coat of urethane primer over that, and then put your paint on.

It will be better than factory now, because newer cars bodies are now dipped in large vats of epoxy before they are painted at the factory. This cuts down on rust drastically.

All Classic Car restorations now use epoxy as well. Cars from around 1993 and older did not have epoxy primer usually.

I have a 94 Dodge Ram 12 valve cummins with
91K original miles. I like to keep her under 100K. I pride myself on having the freshest motor not the most worn out.
I work on Mann, Detroit, CAT, Lugger, Komatsu, JD.
Perkins and Cummins hands down the best squeezers made.
I have a 8v72 DT Im trying to get running now
And I have no clue its 20 years older than me.
Komatsu is a Cummins clone so they are the best Jap diesels.
Perkins and Cummins hands down best motors made still today.

>French engineering

My 80 series with the 1hz is still going strong . Based nipponese automotive nerd burglars

You do know the 2jz is a straight 6 you fucking prance?

>not having a 5 speed

Ive got a Jeep too. The Aisen transmission in jeeps is Japanese.
Jokes on you mine has 222K miles and still going good for a 500$ beater Jeep.
German getrags are the throw away tranny.

>How are toyotas so reliable?
The better question would be how is it that after 110 years of development automobiles are not more reliable than they are?
110 years...

Ummmm...... The 4.0 was basically a 1960's AMC design.

Was looking at dropping Cummins QSB/C motors in a boat I was working on, sexy as fuck. Current boat has 6cta 220kw twins. Reliable if old...

The Ford 4.6 engine, the crown victoria's and grand marquis usually hit 1,000,000 miles before they are taken to the scrap yard after serving the police department, and then the taxis services for years.

If it ain't rice, it ain't right.

Obviously. I go to SEMA every year and sell parts for them and rent a race track to test supras.
The 3.0 V6 is in trucks. It runs about as well as you then it grenades.

I have a 03 corolla with 130k on it , saw another guy with 500k on his recently. Glad I don’t have to fall for the Jewish auto loan scam and have to buy a new car in the next 10 years +.

Underrated

Find an old bread truck with a 4Bt. But in a boat you need different cam and timing.
Just find a boat motor with the wet exhast and right parts.
Get a Komatsu Lugger if you are going on the water.

Cars are a lot more reliable than they were because of the use of roller camshafts. Older cars from the mid 80's back to the 1920's usually used solid lifter camshafts which would wear out prematurely because a flat surface of the lifter rubbing against a curved surface tends to create friction/ wear out quicker.

planned obsolescence is a thing and all manufacturers- unless military grade- practice it.

Fuel injection is when cars got more than 100K miles. even carburated 22r's died early. carbs sent too much raw gasoline into the crankcase and the benzine ate the babbits.
Soon as the early EFI, TBI, MPI, TPI came out cars and trucks could go 200K+

Nah I’m good. The other one I’m driving has a Gardiner 6lxb, and about to start on one with N14s. The 6cta is fully marinized built to purpose . donk

so apparently there is already an aftermarket 2jz swap in the works for the new supra!

motor1.com/news/306814/toyota-supra-2jz-swap-kit/

>military grade
You mean lowest bidder?

Woops, and so are the qsb/c series ones I was looking at. They ended up with reco Yanmars. Pieces of shit. Can’t even pull down the intercooler

Was the shittiest car I ever drove.
On the other hand, I was rear ended by two people and they just bounced off me with their cars totaled and my tow hook was just scratched, so there's that.

what is the consensus on the new supra? does it capture the sexy style of the 90s supra?

Attached: newsupra.jpg (930x620, 120K)

>radiator explodes

It seems it was Fuel Injection, but upon closer inspection you'll notice that's the exact same time they started replacing solid lifter camshafts with roller camshafts.

You can carb a roller camshaft engine, and it will last just as long as the fuel injected one unless you run ethanol through the carb, and let it sit there to eat up the Aluminum bowls.

Pretty fucking sexy if you ask me...

East coast fag?

All Japanese cars have this issue but it’s not really an issue Because it means they last so fucking long. American cars won’t have this issue but the engine gave out at 200k.

Realy loose tolerances and no intentions of high performance makes for incredibly reliable cars that may not be able to go past 90 mph anymore but will still run at 65 just fine.

I think a lot of people are upset about it because it didn't end up looking like the concept in the photo you show. Also, people complain that it shares a chassis with the new BMW Z4, and the cars were developed jointly. In my opinion I think this will make for an excellent car, even if it doesn't satisfy original Supra fans

Absolute Brainlet.

AW4 and AX15 some of the most reliable transmissions of the 80s and 90s.

You're on the wrong board buddy.

It looks like a BRZ with an aftermarket bodykit. It looks alright I guess, but I like the MK4 supra much better.

im not a big fan of the front end styling

Attached: 2020_toyota_supra_1.jpg (1240x865, 411K)

Toyota is the best because of their company culture. They invented the concept of LEAN manufacturing. Every business in the world should study them and take note.

Based and six-sigma pilled

kind of looks like a miata to me

>Was the shittiest car I ever drove.
You've clearly never daily driven a HILUX with a 22r.

Million mile Tundra

google.com/amp/s/jalopnik.com/heres-what-a-toyota-truck-looks-like-after-1-000-000-mi-1776141464/amp

Shit bait user.

At least raise a genuine issue like poor exhaust design meaning overheating problems.

Japanese cars are built with much thinner metal. That's why it's illegal to import most Japanese cars because they do not have the structural support required by US law. Early Honda's, Nissan's, and Toyota's are notorious for thin metal. It saved on their production costs, but restorer's have to pay out the ass to get them fixed.

Checked

Yeah, let’s have no quality assurance you absolute moron. You need QC and QA. Why are we talking about outdated cars anyways. Tesla’s make all other cars obsolete.

4.7 V8’s are good for 400k

Not politics. Sage.

1.7 Million Dodge Cummins

farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=646

I hunt up K motors from caprices. Ive put carbs on roller Cams and still burned them up. One gasoline gets past the rings it eats the soft babbit antimony and they spin a crank bearing.
Roller cams have been out a long time. They did switch from solid lifters to hydraulic lifters when gasoline went no lead. That helped, but fuel Injection could triple the life expectency of engines.
The early TBI's had issues dripping gas and running too fat and even a K motor with a full roller cam would die.

t. toyota advertising faggot

kys

>Japanese cars are built with much thinner metal.

Fuckin boomer shit

>"yeah that guy Mickey I work with at the still mill bought one of them rice burners. A few of the guys picked it up with the crane and put it right into the furnace and told em to buy a damn 'merican car"

The transmission in my nip car died at 90k miles. The only reason I was able to get it refurbed, and am not financially fucked because of it to this day, is because of some class action lawsuit. Sure there are anecdotal stories here and there about them being long lasting, but the same goes for any brand. For my part I'm never buying another jap brand car.

>BMW engine and transmission
>no standard transmission option
>electronic E-brake
Zero fun. Why even bother??

>20% higher vehicle purchase price
>3x the maintenance cost of a gasoline engine.

Nah. Only if I'm regularly pulling over 7k.

No one is going to believe me but I had a 97 Chevy Malibu when I was in high school and I broke a million miles with it. The head gasket blew not long after, though.

Enjoy your 14mpg

they weren't built by women or designed by s 0 y b o i s

Kek'd wish somethijg like this really happend. Can already imagine it.

You're never going to get another analog animal... it's just not going to happen. Preserve the ones that already exist and guard them jealously.

91 pickup 4x4. 230k miles. Champion class.
Turning it into a trophy truck a little at a time.

Things a beast. been pulling Jeep's, f150s and Silverados out on the trails monthly lol.

Hello Isis

My 99 RAV4 is still going strong after 300k miles. Should really take this to /o/ though.

Imagine driving a million miles and looking like a faggot driving a malibu the entire time

Kek

Anyone who works in manufacturing knows how legendary Based Toyota is. Making reliable, cheap cars unlike Am*rican shit.

The classic Japanese cars are indeed built with thinner metal. Any restorer will tell you this, as we are the ones who have to weld the panels back together. I love the old Datsun 240z's and Fastback GTR's. However the metal is a lot thinner than comparable 1950's and 60's American cars with much thicker metal.

You've got to be careful welding classic Japanese cars, because the metal is very thin.

I'll make your prostate think its at Summer Slam

Yeah the engines outlast the bodies lol