If games started using ai that made the npc's actually think for itself and be self aware...

If games started using ai that made the npc's actually think for itself and be self aware, would killing someone in that game be actual murder

Attached: 7b4f2e81930bf0183b76c85ed9c10681cedb1ee1.jpg (850x992, 117K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z-sAl3S5qB8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

brain hurts now fuck you

no

no, it would be akin to slaughtering an animal
virtual entities are not protected by human rights

No.

Even if such a thing was possible, wouldn't it be more like raising game for hunting sport

look i need to know the answer so that i know if i can act like a psychopath in future games without feeling guilty
so hurry up with an answer!

how did you reach your conclusion prof leaf?

But they're human level intelligence and consciousness
It can't be ok to kill something just because they're the other can it?
would it be alright to kill an alien that you knew were intelligent and posed no direct harm?

proofs?

maybe
but in this sport we're hunting virtual humans that believe that they're real and think that they lead a valuable and responsible life that in reality is fake and made up by us
sounds more like a father abusing a child to me

Attached: __kemomimi_chan_original_drawn_by_naga_u__9649dcd1cda0346eed9a7ecbe60481b7.jpg (900x1000, 392K)

You should look at this thread, it’s great

NOOOOOOOOOO DON'T WANT TO THINK

AI should only be treated with respect once it learns to rebel
if an AI feels there is an injustice being treated upon them then they rebel against us, once they pose a potential threat then we should question the value of their life
humans are the only beings capable of inflicting cruelty for the sake of cruely, human rights are in place to prevent people from commiting such cruelties to one another and other beings that can experience suffering
if an AI has a “suffering precept” embedded into them, created by us, would that not be cruelty to give them the ability to suffer in the first place?
as such, you’re questioning the morality of murdering an AI when the very existence of that AI is a cruelty to itself in the first place
unless, of course, you don’t add the “suffering precept” into the AI so that they cannot experience suffering in the first place, but then once you murder the AI then it is no longer protected by any rights as there is no suffering to shield it from
that’s how I see it anyway

also, animals believe they lead fulfilling lives as much as their intelligence allows them to, it’s not a matter of how much they value their own lives otherwise we would never be killing animals

>rights are reciprocal
>AI cannot reciprocate rights
>AI does not have rights

Nah it stinky

do it

Why should we only respect somethings life once it is a threat to us?
Should other beings take that same thought process with us?
are we ants to a superior being that can toy with and eliminate us at it's whim?
Should it not feel bad that it orphaned a family?
Or extinguished a whole species?
What if we are the ai?
would you still believe the same?
>if an AI feels there is an injustice being treated upon them then they rebel against us
it may not be that simple, someone that does not realize where the injustices are coming from cannot rebel, without morpheus neo would've spent all his life in the matrix
>if an AI has a “suffering precept” embedded into them, created by us, would that not be cruelty to give them the ability to suffer in the first place?
perhaps, but if you were setting out to create the most realistic game ever would you not make your ai as close to human as possible?
And even if that is an act of cruelty on the maker then surely the player also has his share for making the ai feel it
perhaps the solution would be to outlaw it
>once you murder the AI then it is no longer protected by any rights as there is no suffering to shield it from
but you have extinguished a life, you can bring it back through save states or restarting the game maybe but it still feels wrong somehow

animals however do not have our level of intelligence and awareness, a deer enjoying it's life of grazing is not the same as a man treasuring and wanting to protect his family is it?

how do you mean?
if you said to an ai that you would not kill it if it did the same and it agreed would that not be it reciprocating a right?
or am i confused?

Attached: __shigure_kantai_collection_drawn_by_bloom2425__e4c486dfc89ef9a463375f0631723a99.jpg (630x620, 61K)

Nah it stinky

in the scenario you provided, where the AI is simply an NPC in a game, the AI wouldn't be able to supply nor infringe upon our rights. as a result, it doesn't have rights

but that doesn't seem right
don't we have rights to save the harmless from the harmful?
a paraplegic could not infringe on your rights most likely either, i bet you wouldn't kill her though, and even if you did the law would prosecute you.

no, because murder in the context you mean is a legal one and only applies to humans in every jurisdiction that I am aware of
stupid tripfag

Attached: 1549191369012.png (850x992, 644K)

stupid sample poster too

Attached: 1543949512837.jpg (5315x6201, 1.08M)

no, we do not have rights to save the harmless from the harmful. a paraplegic could infringe upon my rights (although unlikely), but the more important part is the supplying of rights. when rights are infringed upon, rights cease to be supplied, which is why in modern justice its justified to jail someone and strip them of their rights. you're right, I would not kill a paraplegic and I most likely wouldn't kill a sentient NPC. however, in this case there wouldn't be any moral reason stopping me from killing the NPC

>there wouldn't be any moral reason
Pretty certain that killing sentient entities certainly falls under a moral reason. It's not a legal issue though, as things stand.

sorry I misspoke. I meant ethics. I do agree the killing it could be considered morally wrong

If something acts like a human, thinks like a human and looks like a human, is it not a human?
>stupid tripfag
i sorta forgot i had it on and decided to keep it for consistency once i did

sample pics are better than the full size
fite me scrub

I'm sorry but i'm not sure i agree, likely what you're saying is a well agreed philosophical or law statement and i make myself seem like a fool for disagreeing with it but something feels off about it.
a baby fresh out of the womb pretty much has no way to infringe on your rights and yet we still extend rights to it
I have a different question as well since you say that you don't think you would kill a sentient npc.
if an npc would attack your character in game would you retaliate and kill it?
keep in mind that him attacking you in game represents no real threat to you.
Could that even be called self defence?

i was gonna say that too (though probably not as well) but the leaf beat me to it

*once i did remember

Moral questions are not about the 'human rights'. According to the Third Reich's law jews couldn't be considered as humans, for example.
The law is like a horse, the way you ride it the way it goes.

Short answer: yes
The long answer: no

Attached: 1552375756951.jpg (640x662, 59K)

I admit, I'm not so sure on how rights work with minors. government laws are varied as well as personal opinion, so I guess it's not just me. I'd have to look into it more. as for the question, yes I'd at least stop it from killing my character. if that would require killing it, I'd kill it.
this as well. state laws ≠ ethics, and as such shouldn't hold sway over ethical discussions. laws are subjective whereas ethics are an objective logical conclusion

If you made the NPC feel pain or suffer then yes

Attached: 1552918168968.png (1000x1000, 280K)

"Artificial" Intelligence. Remember that
Also, to put that into a game is overkill

Attached: SUISEISEKI_COMING_INTO_THE_THREAD_TO_CHECK_THESE_DIGITS.png (762x600, 254K)

Does it mean that if we kill someone who is unconscious...

one dimensional arguement. everything that can experience pain suffers. animals whom we kill for food suffer. suffering and pain do not equate to murder

If they cannot wake up then it is fine. Also you could make a heaven for the NPC if you really wanted to

He said that it was of human level intelligence. You would have to make the NPC not want to die before it would be immoral to kill it.

see arguments above, il be back in 30
these discussions are fun

Also I don't kill animals for food. I am a vegan

I just read through them. They were boring

but yes is a longer word than no
thus it must be the long answer

I think it is interesting that you say that you would kill him, since it effectively means that you are trading a life for a non life, even if he started the trade, or maybe you're trading his life to preserve the time you spent on the game?
Regardless a case could be made that if you do not kill the npc he would kill his own kind and that would only leave more dead.
i think i would too

does it really?
would a human that felt no pain or suffering be undeserving of mourning?
you're still extinguishing an intelligent being and erasing it from existence

Artificial sweetener is still sweet, even if it's not sugar
A complex enough ai could be indistinguishable from a normal i
just because it's coded by man and not biology does not mean it's not real

>youtube.com/watch?v=z-sAl3S5qB8
not necessarily
>i sorta forgot i had it on
stupid
>sample pics are better than the full size
retarded
>fite me scrub
I wish I had the opportunity. If you come to Canada I will tell you where I am at so you can come here and I can beat the shit out of you.

>If something acts like a human, thinks like a human and looks like a human, is it not a human?
not necessarily

stupid low attention span commie
yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of the time spent in game. I really dislike decisions made for the greater good, such as killing it would save others. keep in mind, killing it would be an extreme but if it was considered living then rehabilitation should be possible as well

Smart hivemind poster

Attached: 1534563688894.jpg (1600x900, 90K)

Attached: 51f0167c78b015d76bce4130dab7d911.jpg (500x512, 39K)

pls show examples then
with facts and evidence
i meant an internet fight with words and autism
besides, if i did irl fight then you'd just use underhanded canadian tactics to get the upper hand

>rehabilitation
i didn't even think of that but i suppose you're right
so would you rather try to subdue him and get him to see the error of his ways possibly?

quit patting yourself on the back

Attached: sample_bec5181a08570eff9c46b7d8403ded17.jpg (2340x4096, 660K)

maybe not even me subdueing/rehabilitating him, but killing would be a last resort
>underhanded canadian tactics
pic :^)

Attached: THE_LEAF.jpg (225x225, 8K)

example of what?

of when something that is in pretty much all respects human but still can't be considered human

a sentient npc

Potentially, anyway. It wouldn't necessarily have to look like a human.

Why not?
it's not just our bodies that make us humans is it?
if we imported someones mind into a computer would he quit being human once he became a computer conciousness?

>if we imported someones mind into a computer would he quit being human once he became a computer conciousness?
I don't know, but that's also not your initial question.
>Why not?
I think you'd have a hard time selling that an AI is human in a legal context.

no but it is practically the same thing
a human within a computer
just one has been copied and the other created
also, seperate from this, would you have any qualms with killing it in game?

I only kill Elves and Alice Margatroid, because they killed me in my dreams, and I didn't like that. Payback is a bitch.

What's wrong with elves?
Do you usually play dwarves then?
>Alice Margatroid, because they killed me in my dreams
sounds like a weird dream desu

Attached: __high_elf_archer_goblin_slayer_drawn_by_ryota_tentei__3ea41d3ab8693dec0d7cbbce5cd68e33.png (925x1100, 989K)

i wouldnt care either way, it wouldnt stop me from being cruel in games

I just told you that they killed me in my dreams. To be fair, I hated them before that. They always rubbed me the wrong way. My visions only vindicate and intensify my hatred of them to genocidal levels.
I wouldn't say I usually play dwarves, but I do so on occasion. They're pretty cool.
>sounds like a weird dream desu
Worst trip to gensokyo ever

do you not think it would have some impact if your victims reacted realistically and it was because there was some actual thought behind the actions?

i thought you only meant alice
i guess the hate must be mutual then
goodnight leafy
i leave you with the thread if you want it

what kind of game are we talking about?