Discover Pandora, a moon on a planet on the nearest neighboring solar system

>Discover Pandora, a moon on a planet on the nearest neighboring solar system
>Technology has advanced to the point traveling between Earth and Pandora is practical enough for commercial mining
>Still use helicopters

I know the movie is more fantasy than sci-fi, but this shit still bugs me.

Attached: AT-99_Scorpion_Gunship.jpg (852x480, 40K)

What do you think they would use then? Helicopters are ideal for rough terrain

Attached: d496ebd.jpg (1200x1598, 167K)

If you've developed a propulsion system efficient enough to make interstellar travel feasible, you've developed a propulsion system far more efficient than a helicopter.

You'd have to come up with some really convoluted reason why it couldn't be scaled-down to propel an aircraft.

atmospheric propulsion != spacecraft propulsion

Navi are xenos and xenos are scum.

Attached: MEgVf.jpg (1024x576, 91K)

Unless they ever bothered to explain their space propulsion, there's no reason to think it wouldn't work just as well in an atmosphere.

Disagree. Xeno pussy is the best.

also shouldn't the weapons be controlled by drones with artificial intelligence and aim bots

Also true. A bunch of flying drones with guns would be a lot better at fighting than those mech suits, but the suits are also basically space suits since the atmosphere was toxic or something. The helicopter thing just bugs me because it's an easy fix, with something like a rocket VTOL instead of propellers.

Attached: deus-ex-the-fall-0016.jpg (1920x1080, 239K)

i feel like western media really gets cucked out of practical and good sci fi.

i dont think avatar is very hard scifi to be fair.

It's likely a cost analysis. Even if the space-travel technology has been standardized to the point that it's cost efficient, doesn't necessarily mean that it's worth using for grunt-tier military operations.

Helicopters are cool, faggot

maybe i just want novel and different things. I dont get the feel of sci fi in films that i get out of it from books usually.

Ya as an audience we can be more charitable in our assumptions such that it makes more sense

That's because practical immediately reads as boring to your average movie-goer. Most scifi movies care more about using scifi for spectacle than anything else. Science-fantasy like Star Wars really crapped on the scifi genre by just taking a fantasy story and painting 'science' over most of it and far too many movies have copied that formula.

generally space propulsion is far weaker than atmospheric propulsion, as it is not required to defeat surface gravity and the craft can just build up speed over time

i agree
I also think actual sci fi not the fantasy crap is more controversial and edgy when translated into film.

I don't think you understand that if you want to get out of the solar system and back within your lifetime, you're going to need a shit-ton more power than the space propulsion you're thinking of.

I think the problem isn't the controversy, it's the audience stupidity. Originally The Matrix was going to involve human brains wired together to create a supercomputer, but some exec thought audiences would be too stupid to get it, so it was changed to robots using people as batteries.

what is a solar sail?
the time it takes to accelerate really doesn't make much of a difference in interstellar travel, it's going to take an extremely long time regardless
that's why they freeze themselves for the trip

again star wars isnt really sci fi its more science fantasy. its magic knights in space first and foremost and space with magic knights secondmost if you get me. its very soft scifi

Part of my point is that scifi has gotten so soft over time it's all basically just science-fantasy these days.

>atmosphere is 3 times thicker than on earth
>low oxygen
Jets would be pointless while helis would be literally 3 times as effective as they are on earth.
>they produce shit with 3d printing on pandora cause hauling shit from earth is superduper expensive
>probably can't reproduce ultra hightech stuff and assemble it on the spot
>helis are easy to build
Its really very logical only thing I see wrong with it is why didn't they just use flying stones for producing means of transportation but that can be explained by tech not being advanced enough as well.

also people keep missing elephant in the room
they literally had tech for uploading consciousness on harddrive, why the fuck didn't they use it in the first place instead of getting fuckton marines to pandora is a mystery

besides what he said another problem is the cost of fuel: A helicopter engine needs less fuel than a propulsion engine.
In addition, how do you plan to apply space travel technologies in an atmosphere with atmosphere and friction?
The absence of these 2 factors is the basis on which the engines operate In the space.

Attached: 1564929873932-bant.png (700x1500, 1.57M)