How similar are Romance languages?

If you speak one of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Catalan, French, or Romanian, how much can you understand of the others? When I hear Spanish spoken, I can kind of catch like every tenth word.

Attached: 200px-Romance-procents.png (200x167, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sulaandjohn.com/files/users/e/535D6469E2612048E040A8C0AC002D4E/Mutual Comprehension.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you speak Portuguese you can easily have a full-on conversation with a Spanish speaker and vice-versa

I can read /esp/ aan /luso/ well enough, I still need to translate some words but 80% I can understand, /fr/ as well because I took french in middle and high school. When spoken I can understand portoguese the most. Spanish people talk too fast and french is fucking hard to hear.

Attached: doubt.png (300x162, 29K)

That's actually true, to some extent

You can understand any of those, perhaps not in conversation, but most definitely in written form. The extent is arguable

Pretty easily while it's written down but when spoken it's a bit harder.

I probably couldn't have a full on conversation with a Portuguese speaker, but I can definitely understand more of that language compared to the others. Fairly similar words and pronunciations in my opinion.

it's true
they are very similar languages that are pronounced very differently

is true.
When you try to communicate with a brazilian bro you change into portuñol mode and you can have a full-on conversation.

Know a lot of Spanish. So Portuguese is the closest and sounds like Spanish but with strange pronounciations. Can understand some French as well, Italian not so much and Romanian I can understand only a few words from Latin root.

I guess he's talking mostly about natives

I heard once that it is harder to spanish speakers to understand portuguese than vice-versa. Is it true?

French and Spanish at least are nothing alike.

Probably

I could see that as true, mostly because of the dialects though. In written form they'd all have the same level of difficulty/ease

That's not true, you can have a basic conversation. A "full-on" conversation would requise some previous learning.

I can easily comprehend most of a text written in spanish or french, I never trued with portuguese desu, romanian is unitelligible to me. I can also understand, more or less, when a spaniard or a french talk if they don't speak too quickly

>spanish
>not spoken too quickly
impossible

I proofread and I spelt awfully many words, it's half past 2 and I don't want to correct them all

I can decipher Portuguese a lot of times without actually knowing Portuguese desu.

I speak Portuguese and I can speak and understand Spanish; understand Galician (easily) Italian and Catalan (if they speak slowly)
I can't understand French or Romanian

>I'm bilingual, I'm fluent in Spanish and Portuguese!
You have no idea how much this makes me want to genocide all L*tins.

Attached: lexical-distance-among-the-languages-of-europe-2-1-mid-size.png (1853x1642, 1.06M)

It's not true, I can kinda understands some sentences and words but I wouldn't be able to have a conversation with them, unless they speak ver slowly and emphasize every word, and it's still a maybe.

Is Spanish easier or harder to understand than, say Venetian? Or Lombard? What about Sicilian?

Portuguese and Spanish are like 81% mutually intellgible

A Mexican told me you guys understand them but not vice versa

>Australian education

Se tu sabes espanhol com certeza compreendes este post

I can read portuguese, italian and some french
I understand brazillians only when they are speaking slowly, same with italian, and I catch some french words

Really? I guess it could be true, but in my experience with South Americans (Paraguayans, Argies, Urgayans) we have been able to communicate easily

There's actually been experiments conducted on the mutual intelligibility of the Romance languages.
sulaandjohn.com/files/users/e/535D6469E2612048E040A8C0AC002D4E/Mutual Comprehension.pdf
In the test, which used Spanish speakers from South America and Portuguese speakers from Brazil, Spanish had 58% intelligibility for Portuguese speakers, and Portuguese had 50% intelligibility for Spanish speakers (Jensen 1989). This stands to reason, given popular stories about Spanish speakers being able to ask directions of Portuguese speakers but not being able to understand the response. Portuguese is harder for Spanish speakers than vice versa. Combining the two gives us a figure of 54% intelligibility between Spanish and Portuguese in real life situations in South America today (Jensen 1989), in terms of speaking. In terms of writing, well, the languages of 89% lexical similarity, which suggests that both language's writing would be more or less mutually intelligible. The test attempted to factor out exposure to the other language and decided that Spanish and Portuguese have about 45% inherent intelligibility or comprehension of those speakers not previously exposed to the other language (Jensen 1989).

Esto, no tiene idea de lo que está hablando

People from Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia and Peru kinda can due to our shared border and closer ties to Brazil. Pleople from other spanish speaking cunts might have a harder time. Spaniards and Tugas can do it as well

As native spanish speaker:

French: i don't get most of this, rarely can understand
Italian: i understand most of the half without even learn it.
Portuguese: i understand even more than italian (Because we have brazil near, so i spend a lot of time with brazilians playing)
Catalan: like %40 i can understand
Romanian: never tried

This is only an Argentina-Brazil-Paraguay-Uruguay thing... those anglobitches and rest of burritos won't understand it.

Attached: 1511570318663.gif (500x559, 824K)

I understand over 90% of newspaper Catalan, less than half for spoken, but you can still get an idea of what they are talking about.

I speak portuguese and can understand most Spanish (I speak a little too) and some Italian

I play a lot Left 4 dead 2 with latinobros

I was born and raised in Veneto, surprisingly Spaniards understands when you talk to them in venetian. Generally speaking, as the distance from your region grows, the dialect become less intelligible. Anyway other dialects are easier to comprehend than other languages, if they talk slowly enough obviously (I had to watch Gomorra using subtitles for instance).

All that time playing with brazilians

Attached: x1.png (430x126, 98K)

Is there any paper like this for the italian language?

>portuñol
Quiero uma cueca-cuela :^)

Che, dame uma pasoca :^)

Yesterday I said french is the closest language to english and some amerimutt muh heritage'd me saying english is a germanic language and is closer to german syntactically. Of course he doesn't speak any language other english.

Not to my knowledge, sorry.

?qual é la senha del way-fai?

He's right though.

imbluelabadibidudaba123456

The closest language to English is West Frisian.

Portugal is a non-country that should become a province of Spain. Prove me wrong

Attached: smug pepe close.jpg (358x373, 22K)

good chart

Attached: happy frog parade.gif (400x215, 944K)

Portugal is a non-country that should become a province of Brazil. Prove me wrong*

fify

MY MAN

>tfw no language considered mutually intelligible with English
Except for Sc*ts I guess but that doesn't count.

They're actually very similwr, it's very easy for us to understand Spanish, at least in written form.

>Italian
written down, most of it is intelligible
you can figure out what's being spoken too, more or less
>Spanish
>French
you could probably understand bits when it's written down or spoken slowly
>Portuguese
close to nothing but it sounds more similar to Romanian than the rest if you ask me

For French, it's fucked with anybody else since our pronounciation is so different to every other romance language.

It's easy to read other Romance languages. I have a Portuguese online friend and we used to talk to each other in our languages and we understood each other perfectly. Romanian is the only exception to this because while the Latin roots are obvious it still feels different.
Oral comprehension is a whole other beast. For example, I think Spanish people from Madrid speak way too fast. Spoken Italian is the easiest for me because they don't speak too fast and it's supposedly more closely related to French than other Romance languages.

>Portuguese sounds more similar to Romanian
this but mostly like the eastern dialect

>Portuguese, Italian, Catalan
Very understandable, you can communicate with them with minor issues. The vast majority of words have the same root for both languages.

>French
Much harder, you can understand some words by themselves and that's it.

Romanian
Sounds similar to Italian but it's not understandable at all.