What are some things that are unique to Australia and NZ and that have no equivalent in Europe or the US/Canada?

What are some things that are unique to Australia and NZ and that have no equivalent in Europe or the US/Canada?

Attached: australia_nz_pins.jpg (400x320, 68K)

The way they pronounce the endings.

Kangaroos and Kiwis.

Wildlife, chicken salt, accent, meat pies in 7/11s... Bunning snags, biggest prison in the world... I never left her so I don't know what I'd miss if I left.

Largest english dispoira in the world?

What are salt chicken and bunning snags?

effortless success

The US has more, unless you mean only people with British nationality

Chicken salt is a flavoring you put on chips, and apparently no where else in the world has it for some fucking reason, and Bunnings is a hardware store that sells sasuage sizzles out front during the mornings run by volunteers, so when you pick up some lights and some wood, you usualy pick up a snag for you and your mates back home.

British nationality, you know people actually from england, haha.

Our Canadian Tire shops usually have a hotdog stand outside, though not manned by volunteers as I understand.

Also, utes and property auctions. US and Canada are into purpose-built pick-ups, and pretty much all home sales are privately done through a broker.

You're kidding me, no other places in the world have chicken salt?
that's fucked

We have something really similar, but it doesn't exactly have a name. The spice mixture is pretty close, but it's just "fry spice" here.

So there are a lot people who just wake up in the morning and randomly decide to run a hot dog stand for free?

not sharing land borders with any other country is a pretty big one
everytime i look at the Mediterranean map and seee that its theoretically possible to just walk from europe to the middle east or africa it feels strange to me, I guess because they are completely different places in my mind so I dont associate them being right next to each other
being able to drive to another country is such a strange concept for me

also we're sick cunts

Attached: new zealand cuisine.jpg (1031x1168, 462K)

nah its usually people who are fundraising for something like a charity or event or whatever

So they talk to you about whatever cause they're promoting while you buy a hot dog?
How do you move between the two main islands?

Nz maoris are probably the only natives that weren't totally fucked

The snags aren't free, so they use the profits for whatever they needed.

You get to keep all the money you make?

>So they talk to you about whatever cause they're promoting while you buy a hot dog?
nah they will just give the money raised to whatever they were raising it for, maybe sometimes they will have a sign like "help get our group to america" or "help raise money for the poor" or something

>How do you move between the two main islands?
a plane or a ferry
the plane is quick and cheap and the ferry usually takes all day but it has restaurants, arcades, playgrounds etc on it so you can make a day of it if you're travelling with a family and also you can take your car with you

I guess so? I've never actually asked, I just buy my snag and move on.

>"help get our group to america"
For like a school trip?
>a plane or a ferry
Would it be possible to build a bridge or a tunnel to connect the two? Or not really because of the earthquakes?

Interesting

>never enslaved
>never genocided
>never massacred
>never lynched
>never forced to hand over land
>never forced to learn european language
>never forced to convert religions
>still have their language taught in schools/displayed on signs/forms etc

you wouldnt know it from the way they act though, everytime they get in shit for something they act like they were american blacks in the 1700's

Australia
>like summer never ends, always warm
>cheap to travel around with a campervan and english everywhere
>wildlife you literally cant find anywhere else
>outback is like being on an alien planet but without having to risk getting kidnapped by a cartel or murdered by a paramilitary group
>crops you dont find in other western countries

NZ
>Maori are probably the only first nations type people who didn't get decimated and there is still tons of cool maori history
>only place i've been where literally in the same day I went to a hot water beach, wine tasting and then climbed a snowy mountain
>isolation from the world
>when driving on the south island literally every time I turned a corner I was in awe at how beautiful it was, legitimately the best natural beauty of any country in the world
>glow worm caves

school trips, sports events, academic group, some other competition or tournament, things of that nature

>Would it be possible to build a bridge or a tunnel to connect the two? Or not really because of the earthquakes?
bridge - no, simply because of the distance
tunnel - yes absolutely, japan has ones connecting their islands across a greater distance and they are in an earthquake zone as well
we just dont mainly because we dont have the money/resources to do it and because >90% of our population live and work in the north island so it wouldnt see enough usage to justify it
maybe if we got a higher population in the south island and built up infrastructure more then we could have one and that could expand employment/education possibilities as people could live, work and learn on different islands
right now our roads and general infrastructure are pretty poor (mainly because with such a small population we dont need a lot of it) so to get anywhere within NZ (keep in mind we are smaller than italy and japan) you need to take a plane (or spend all day driving).
I think we are pretty much guaranteed to build an underwater tunnel connecting the islands eventually its just a matter of when, hopefully we will follow japans footsteps and also put highspeed trains throughout the country

now that I did some googling I think the distance is not an issue for the bridge as there are longer ones
however i still think the rough waves of the cook strait would make it too hard and the bridge would constantly be getting hit by them but maybe they could do it

The cook strait is hell man. Even when I took the ferry there it was getting tossed around, you could feel every bump

>no where else in the world has it for some fucking reason
What the fuck?
How bland it must be for them.

Good wh*te people

>never massacred
>never forced to hand over land
>never forced to learn european language
>never forced to convert religions
Didn't those things kinda happened

we are situated between australia and antarctica so obviously when the water and wind form those 2 places meet things are going to happen
im honestly surprised we dont have shitloads of tornadoes and hurricanes everyday to be honest, we just have retarded weather where it will be 24 degrees and hailing then stop and 2 hours later start raining then stop after 20 minutes

the town Im in now is built around a river and there is a part I walk across everyday which is about 5 meters deep - 40 or so meters wide and I have seen it flooded to the top and completely dried out with nothing in it ON THE SAME DAY ONLY A COUPLE HOURS APART

>crops you dont find in other western countries
Like what
I've read that the South Island used to have a majority of the population. What went wrong?

It's nuts there, everyone always says there town has all 4 seasons in one day but when I went to the northern tip in NZ and went to the lighthouse where you could see the two seas mixing together it was crazy. It hailed, was sunny, then pouring rain, then clear, then raining and then a little overcast all in a 12 hour span. When I traveled NZ it was crazy, I went in your end of Winter/Spring and everyone said I was crazy but I would literally just wait for the weather to change to clear skies and it did every day despite the forecast saying it was downpour all day.

>Like what
Lots of tropical fruits you can't find in europe or US/Canada. I saw banana plantations, mangosteen, rambutans, star apple etc. It's cool, when you got north of Cairns you pretty much enter the jungle/rainforest. It's like you're in the amazon.

no
there was conflict between early settlers and natives obviously and the initial new zealand war but after that even in the early days they lived together relatively peacefully and we signed an official treaty with them which to this day is still treated as the founding document of our country

europeans brought land of them, they were neevr forced to hand over anything and it wasnt even like an american-indian deal where we tricked them to trading it for something worthless like beads, they always got a fair amount of money, medicine, firearms etc for whatever they traded to euros

there was no forcing them to learn english, they kind of just did to trade with us easier and also to work with us (it was pretty common for euros to take maoris on their ships and teach them how to sail and let them work with them as whalers)

religion, mate if you think latin americans are into christianity you should see pacific islanders, they fucking love it, they took to it super fast so it wasnt even necessary to forcefully convert them

there was never even any segregation where they had to live in certain neighbourhood or couldnt use certain public facilities
we have legitimately never done anything wrong to them

the maori language is a compulsory subject at school for christ sake and their are entire channels which are just in maori

>cheap to travel around with a campervan and english everywhere

Do you mean the people or the language because, besides Chinatowns, there is no other language showed off.

>I've read that the South Island used to have a majority of the population. What went wrong?
that was during the gold mining days, once that dried up everyone went north for work
also the capital city used to be auckland (in the red in the middle of the bit that branches off) but they moved it to wellington (literal bottom of the north island) because they thought new munster was going to declare independence so they wanted a more centralised capital to manage the country from so everyone felt included and they could deal with any south island insurrection faster (to this day auckland is still our biggest city singlehandedly having almost 50% of our population)

Attached: Provinces_of_new_zealand_1841.png (405x590, 17K)

I mean compared to Europe you can get by on literally just English. Europe still has a bit of a language barrier. Also Canada and USA don't have nearly as many hostels and campervans. There are dozens of campervan companies in Australia where as in Canada they really only have like big RV's you can rent and then that shitty company wicked campers. The backpacking culture is just much bigger in Australia.

You are probable right, because I know kids leaving high school who already own camping equipment, and I live in the city.

Your country is also awesome for getting around and you got lots of cool beach towns and little touristy areas. It's pretty much flat north of brisbane and your highway forms a loop (well almost) around the entire island. Dumb tourists from europe still don't get how big the outback is but besides that it's really hard to fuck up a road trip in Australia.

Bidi bidi bump bump

Last bump

Attached: 1068222157001_5084533354001_Chris-Harris-HSV-Maloo-GTS-1422.jpg (1422x948, 162K)

It has a third of the population user. Half would be 2.4 million people

America has cars like that, too