What's the deal with American urban planning ?

What's the deal with American urban planning ?

Is it really like this?

Attached: 1543880279467.png (960x520, 814K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnbc.com/2018/05/11/how-many-americans-have-no-retirement-savings.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>20$ parking pass
thats reasonabale, rent tho ...

Is it not like this in the rest of the world?

My town is like this, minus the cheap homes and apartment, and the car dealers. Not a single car dealer here.

You woud know

>your little pre-ww2 town is turning into one of these

Attached: donald_an_hero.png (526x362, 284K)

Once you reach a certain population density, they tear down the shittiest neighborhoods and build these instead.

Rent jumps from $900 for 600 square foot (55 square meters) to around $1500. Also, a weekday lunch jumps to $13, and dinner is $25 a person before drinks.

Attached: corners.jpg (680x510, 76K)

hate this bullshit. as much as the cities suck sometimes, I'd rather live there with some character

I don't know how those streets where all the houses are exactly the same aren't deeply unsettling.

What town?

Fuck no. In places like Amsterdam you don't even really need a car. It's getting more like this in London as well. The public transport is so widely available, traffic is so bad and cars are being made more expensive that there is no point. Most people (from what I've seen) have a distasteful view of American urban living from what we've seen in media. It doesn't look comfy or interesting, it just looks very bland and unpleasant.

As opposed to what? How is having a bunch of goods and services in one location separate from housing a bad thing?

Looks nice

You don't find that inconvinient? Here every neighborhood has a bakery, a little market, and a car mechanic shop, at least. Purely residential neighborhoods, with nothing but houses, are uncommon. Only the wealthier live in such places.

I could handle the politics, crazy media, terrible race relations, high taxes for little return, etc. in America if I never had to see another strip mall or subdivision fucking again. They're not too bad at first, but it's when you take a plane from your hometown to a very far away state and see it's literally the exact same fucking shit, copy-pasted for 2000 miles, it's hard not to lose your shit. You realize you live in nicer, capitalism versions of commieblocks. Yeah you get a lawn to mow and people aren't dirt poor, but it's the same dreary sprawl, just a North American version.
I highly recommend you see the outside world for once. It really does change your world view.

Attached: Neuchatel_fontaine_banneret.jpg (1600x1041, 476K)

This is the ideal city centre. You may not like it, but this is what peak urban planning looks like

Attached: trois rivieres quebec canada.jpg (2000x1455, 2.66M)

Reminds me of oblivion in a way. A handful of buildings, assets, voice actors, topics, and things in general spread out over way too big of a space

Then go back

America (majority of) really depresses me. I dont understand why Americans defend this fuck public transport i'd rather drive 45minutes to go shoping life style. all that for a bigger cardboard box and a patch of grass? I just don't get it man.

Attached: 1535506502722.jpg (2600x1625, 1.49M)

>graffiti

graffiti will exist in every single urban area where the punishment isn't death or prison

>wtf something in the world isn't like eurpope how could this be

thats not at all what i posted.

It is though.

It's to do with the excess of land, the shitty public transport, and egregious public zoning laws meant to encourage urban sprawl. Absolutely disgusting indeed.

Attached: suburban hell.jpg (1536x1814, 1.09M)

ok. dont reply to me.

You can just fuck right off with this one. Those are max comfy

A german poster in one of these threads posted an interesting bit about how the pre cul-de-sac era of american suburbs were way better. using like straight lines and simple geometry without depending on dead-ends to generate artificial privacy at the cost of social cohesion.

if a thread about the US, yeah nah leave

Stop replying to me you ugly monkey lipped retard

>I just don't understand why someone would want their own patch of land
>Why wouldn't someone want to use public transportation

Attached: 7655.png (293x172, 9K)

You're a cunt

>Keeps replying after clearly being unwanted
Typical trash goblin

Not the same person. Just thought someone ought to call you out on being a faggot

The germanon was right. Cul-de-sacs are cancer

Attached: suburb design.jpg (934x507, 101K)

Sure thing trash goblin. Now stop posting.

>anyone criticizing my country in any way is a faggot

Attached: latest1.jpg (600x478, 171K)

obsessed

It's because Americans have a different lifestyle than Euros. Most of us have boats/ATVs/project cars that require lots of storage space, suburban houses provide that. Even if there isn't garage space, it's not uncommon to see people park their boats in their backyard. Then of course you need a truck to haul this shit, which of course won't fit in small euro style roads or parking spots so everything needs to be widened.

Attached: fifth wheel.jpg (840x280, 89K)

suburb living is godtier

muh cars has affected the entire world not just America

he's an American you fucking idiot

Why not just leave your boat at the marina/dock? Many euros have boats. We just leave them at the dock though.Your monster trucks would not fit on our roads that is true. outside of the large inter-city roads. but does needing space require horrific cul-de-sac style roads like which seems all to common in ameriland?

I agree that America is better than the euros here make it out to be and we're better than 99% of countries, but surely you guys have to realize we're not immune to propaganda, correct? We've been conditioned (as people in all countries are, except we don't get to see other countries unlike euros) to defend our own culture. Just because it's what we were born into doesn't mean it is perfect in every way

Most lakes around here don't have marinas, just a boat launch. We could build them but there is nobody to look after them, the population density is really sparse. Also Cul-de-sacs build roads like that to prevent non-residents from using it as thru-traffic.

based proxy foreign bro

What the fuck is the issue with this? It's obviously an exit on a highway. Fucking retard
Also

Another thing, Americans living 100s of miles away from any body of water own boats. They just drive to the lake, unload it, load it back up and leave.

>Also Cul-de-sacs build roads like that to prevent non-residents from using it as thru-traffic.
but this is endemic of a greater failure of urban planning. that there are needs of through traffic is because services and residential are poorly zoned.
what. but why

>ok, we just got off the highway
>better stop by the gift shop

Sure... why not? What the fuck are you trying to say? Do you see that bridge back there? That has a road on it called a HIGHWAY

Parking should be free at your home.

It's 5;30am here and I want to cook dinner but I don't want to wake up my neighbors. Despite this, i still wouldn't trade living within 100m of 3 corner stores and within 600m of 2 grocery stores and like 10 24/7 kebab shops.. maybe i should go buy a kebab...6am kebab is probably gross a.f though

If everybody owns a car, traffic will be bad no matter what. Imagine if every Bulgarian drove to work.

>Why do people living 100s of miles away from water have boats?
Because they have the money to do it.

There is always a gift shop at major highway exits in the U.S.
All highway truck stops and service plazas sell souvenirs and gifts too.

Praise Allah

>Imagine if every Bulgarian drove to work.
They pretty much do. Car culture is very western here like most ex-communist states.
Praise Be Upon Him. Inshallah. Glory in his name. We have greek kebab (Gyro) and Turkish Kebab. I prefer Gyro but they dont do 24/7 because greeks are lazy xD

I cant even tell if you're being ironic or americans actually think like this

Let's say you're driving down the highway to see someone. You want to get them a gift. There's a gift shop

its become impossible to distinguish between ironically retarded and actually retarded burgers

Yeah, you stop for gas and you look around at the stores. There's a gift shop

The Bulgarian intellectual... woah

jesus
do you also take a fucking commemorative photo every time you go through traffic lights?

Now you're just being silly

The lights take photos for them
If they go to fast through the intersection the police mail them a ticket

Attached: 655f9125-715d-4c29-aede-54113a5f7ad9-large16x9_PKGREDLIGHTCAMERAS.transfer_frame_2975.jpg (986x555, 287K)

do you get a keychain everytime you switch lanes?

Prewar suburbs were actual suburbs that grew up organically with the city. Cul-de-sacs are housing developments usually by a single developer.

>excess of land
Why can't they just leave it be? Nature is important.

>wanting services that attract ethnic minorities near your house

Because it's cheaper to buy up a shitheap of land a hundred leagues from anywhere than to knock down and redevelop a single inner city block.

If you are wondering the actual reason, most Americans hold no passport and the vast majority of their holiday travel is done in the country between states, mostly by car. Essentially every highway exit is a tourist trap that tries to sell various little souvenirs and such, mostly regional things, to travellers.
And yes, it is common for them to take commemorative photos at the borders of each state which often feature colourful Welcome To... signs.

looks like misery incarnate

the reason rents go up is becasue they are inefficient and expensive, modern urban planning should be for higher density housing with more shared services and greenspaces.

higher density also allows better public transport, lower rents, more opportunities for businesses and services.

Attached: nice country.jpg (1288x800, 1.19M)

Absolute dolt.
Thanks for sorting everything out in the first line of your spasmodic wall of text.

>Because they have the money to do it.
cnbc.com/2018/05/11/how-many-americans-have-no-retirement-savings.html
no, they don't

but they have all been convinced to spend every dollar they can and go into debt