Can they understand each other when they talk in their native languages?

can they understand each other when they talk in their native languages?

Attached: Belarus-Ukraine-Russia.png (1356x800, 19K)

A bit
Easier if its written instead of spoken

so it's not as close as Serbian and Croatian are to each other?

we understand phonetics, I mean in songs but don't understand some words.

In Polish at first we don't understand phonetics, I guess, but can learn it fast.

t. learned Polish

I wrote this earlier, I think it should explain you, at least a bit, how different are our languages are (or not different).

me (in one case)

standart Russian (phonetical) - minia (m is soft, n too, i shows it, you should read it as m'in'a). We write it as "mienia" in Cyrillic - мeня

dialectial Russian (southern and south-western) - minie or mianie

standart Belarussian - mianie, they write it mianie in their's language

Ukrainian - mene, both m and n are hard

Polish - mnie, n is soft.

In Polish sometimes I still can't understand a word in song at first, but if I see a text I can understand it, without vocabularly. So probably I'm right about phonetics.

But I learned Polish by myself, and mostly just by listening music and talking in /polska/

Not always.

I meant not "can't understand a word", I meant - can't understand one word, or several.

Now I'm going to understand lyrics in polish songs, by hearing.

what would be the English version of Polish to Russian?

>lives in Ukraine
>not always

How? Or you mean one/two words?

German or Dutch

Krim has the wrong colour. Ukranians are well understood by Croatians, less well by Russians AFAIK. Some languages are nearer, some closer. Polish is (apart of the psssss sound, very close to Russian. I found Czech to be very far. Bulgarian is quite close in sound and pronounciation but differs in quite some words. Do not know about slovakian. In average, Russian is not pronounce in the same in the north (harder) than in the south. In the south they tend to pronounce 0 as 0 but in the north e.g. okno = window is pronounced akno. Oleg = Aleg. Gorbatchew = Garbachov. Bielorussian should be close to Russian, but that a Russian can answer more easily.
The relationship of all these languages is no dissimilar to the German, Platt, Dutch, Flemish, Danish and Swedish, maybe Norwegian. Were Tschech would be Norwegian (far) and Dutch could be e.g. Polish. It is actually very funny. A Polish would ferocely deny all similarities.

polish and Russian is that different? that's interesting.

Don't understand the question, but by the orhography modern Belarussian is something middle between Polish and Russian.

Belarussian is also closer to Russian by phonetics and by "the language logic", I mean stress system and etc, but closer to Ukrainian by vocabulary.

But orhography in Belarussian is really different than in Russian.

>so it's not as close as Serbian and Croatian are to each other?

that's like saying English and Australian are close to each other

we understand russians without any problems but those buttheads claim they don't understand us.

Russian has different dialects. Standart Russian is different, but some dialects can be closer, a bit.

Belarussian has the same "logic" of language, but in standart Russian non-stressed phoneme turns into "i" while in Belarussian it's going into "ja"

Russian - nivo (him) - we write it as niego - нeгo

Belarussian - niaho

or jaho

don't sure that "niaho" exists in Belarussian

but I just want to explain the differences

Polish has fixed stress in words and has nasal vowels. It's the main differences.

When I didn't know Polish and listen a song in Ukrainian I thought that "nikoli" is a name of man.

I'm serious.

Polish is a West Slavic language, Russian an East Slavic one
German and Dutch are both West Germanic languages, and they're very similar (like very heavy dialects)
You can understand ~3/4 of Dutch if you know German I'd say

>t. learned Polish

Attached: 1535037070857.png (733x464, 125K)

This. Traditional Belarusian (Tarashkevica) was generally closer to Polish. I'd say it was the closest language to Polish aside for Lower Sorb.
Narkomovka, the modern standard, Belarusians tell me was artificially modified to be closer to Russian. It get its name from Soviet commissars I believe. Strange.

Russian dialects are different by phonetics too, and northern used to had similiar features as Polish had.

They even had long vowels which later transformed into "open".

Polish literally had the same.

Southern dialects are closer to Belarussian, and de facto it's united group of dialects.

>artificially modified
Croattians did this respetive to Serbian for political reasons after the secession war. They created words to be different.

Not only to Russian, to Ukrainian too.

Also there is no need to make Belarussian "closer to Russian", because Belarussian has the same features, but in a different way.

Also Narkomovka is more adequate system for Cyrillic, except no difference between h and g, while Tarashkevica is better for Latin.

pretty sure they mostly just borrowed words from old Croatian books

Narkomovka still uses ć except t'. It just doesn't show so much patalisation as Tarashkevica does.

If you learned a little German you'd be amazed at how close to English Dutch especially is. Frisian is our sibling language though. It's very similar.

Don't know about Dutch, but in Afrikaans you can read -y just like in English.

What about Russians along the border?

>when I didn't speak Polish and listened a song in Ukrainian I really thought that "nikoli" is the name of man

fixed

Yes, because they all have one native language - russian.

I heard of that. Bosniaks allegedly invented islamic terms from Arabic.
But Croatian is more Slavic now than Serbian. Like names of the months for example. Even Russians uses English ones.
I don't get the purpose of it, Serbo-Croatian is one language, it's based on the same fucking dialect. There are like 4 main dialects of Serbo-Croatian, should Croatian, Bosniak and Serbian be all based on different one?

Russian in Ukraine sounds a bit different, but 100% understanble for a Russians from Russian.

Also in ukrainian Russian people can use contructions which is in Polish, I heard twice how two different journalists from Ukraine said "minia bolit" or something like this, the same exists in Polish "to co mnie boli" and means "what I'm worry about" I guess

How different is Trasianka and Surjik, and what they speak in Don/Kuban, generally, from Russian?

By the way, have you heard about Iazychie?

>which are existing

>I don't get the purpose of it,
dividi et imperat

>Bosniaks allegedly invented islamic terms from Arabic.

Maybe, but for the most part they simply didn't purge as many Ottoman terms from their language as their christian neighbours because unlike them they didn't value Otto culture negatively.

>Like names of the months for example.

we've got those too, somewhat different names than in Croatian, but nobody remembers them and they're not used in speech or in print.

Trasianka is something between Belarussian and Russian, Surjik is between Russian and Ukrainian.

I took 2 semester of German in college and sometimes lurk on /deutsch/, Dutch is definitely closer to English. I imagine low german would be as well.

With native Russian and learned Polish you can understand Belarussian, Ukrainian, some of written Czech and Slovak, and even some from southern slav languages. I really understood a simple sentence in Serbian.

>English ones
They're Latin.

They literally are though seeing how a australian and a english man can hold a conversation

That's what he's saying, they're the same language.

>Bosniaks allegedly invented islamic terms from Arabic.

Not from Arabic, it was Turkish. But a lot of Turkish words also come from Arabic and Persian. They're the same ones typically used in Serbian like hajde. It was mostly done so because they didn't have those words before and they're typically new inventions or concepts that the Ottoman scholars would name. Therefore, a lot is obscure advance terminology which gets shared with slavic origin ones since all ex-yu countries are going to share research.
Even within Bosniaks there is division between those around Sarajevo and those from the Northwest. For example, these are from the Bosanska Krajina that's like 95% Bosniak.
Mom- mama, mati
Dad- tata or babo, otac
Grandma- majka, nana (rarer)
non-related old lady- baba
Grandpa- dido, djed
Bread- kruh
Pretty- Ljep
etc.
Central Bosnia would have different words for these, at least from my experience online and the one time I went to Sarajevo.

Attached: main-qimg-d7137a8b5a287e813323d94e78f05792.png (572x409, 178K)

I can’t understand Ukrainian, not familiar with Belarusian, so I can’t say if I understand it.

bump

Ukrainians and Belarusians can, because everyone knows Russian or even speak it as first language. Russians not so much.

In Ukraine it's actually a usual thing people communicating with each other in whatever language they are more comfortable with, and understanding each other perfectly fine. But again, it's because of exposure to both languages.

Is this the case in Western Ukraine as well?

>be russian
>do not understand Ukrainian/Belarusian
dolboyob tier.

For the most part, yes. I usually speak with them in Russian and they understand.

If they are drunk? Yes.

They all speak russkie.