How common are loanwords in your language? Are they used because your language doesn't have words to describe the same...

How common are loanwords in your language? Are they used because your language doesn't have words to describe the same? Or are they used to describe words that already have an equivalent in your language?

We often use english words to shorten current spanish words.

Correo electrónico - e-mail
Pasatiempo - hobby
Perforación - piercing
Qué triste - Qué sad
Este tipo - Este men

Also some media is pushing many retarded trends like dreamers, influencers and startupismo. Not saying loanwords are bad but each language should put a little more of effort on preserving words or even creating new ones instead of just borrowing them.

Just loanwords related videos

youtube.com/watch?v=vDSn1HWY8J8
youtube.com/watch?v=88Nh0wvQGYk
youtube.com/watch?v=i_WPrTiKtAw

Attached: ocelot.webm (640x640, 1.79M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

that's a man btw

Why would I want two holes if I only have a penis?

English is mostly loanwords and corruptions of foreign languages
My favorite is the name Shawn. Which is an English corruption of the name Sean, which is a corruption of the French Jean, which is a corruption of the Latin Johannes, and finally that is a corruption of the Hebrew Yohanan.
Yohanan is the name where we also get John from, though it split at from the French Jean.
So Englishmen translated a name they already had and fucked it up more.
It seams this is also the most common corruption there is
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes
Everyone has their variant on it
Eoin was Irish direct corruption of Yohanan, which interestingly enough has nothing to do with the English Owan which a slight corruption of the welsh Owain, itself a corruption of Eugene, itself Greek.
There is hardly a native English name left

proofs?

>How common are loanwords in your language?
Quite common.
>Are they used because your language doesn't have words to describe the same? Or are they used to describe words that already have an equivalent in your language?
Both, which is irritating.
>Also some media is pushing many retarded trends like dreamers, influencers and startupismo. Not saying loanwords are bad but each language should put a little more of effort on preserving words or even creating new ones instead of just borrowing them.
Agreed, but people are lazy and take the easiest road.

There are too many. Most are from French, German, Greek, Latin. More have started to come via English and kids these days will favor the foreign-rooted words over the native words because of this. This has been shown to decrease their scores on the SATs severely, where Swedish language comprehension is a major component.

Why did you post a webm of me

> More have started to come via English
All the languages of former viking lands are dying slowly, revenge for coming here, slaughtering our women, raping our sheep, and killing our babies. 1000 years ago we cried "save us or lord from the wrath of the northmen" and he works in mysterious ways.

>we

There's quite a lot because no one else in the world, except for Estonians, speak our weirdo language.

English speakers; We came from that island, only reason we aren't a part of England is because of a war over 200 years ago.

Very common because we lived under foreign rule and were in constant contact with other languages for so long. They tried to get rid of a lot of them in standard Slovene from the 19th century onwards but there are a lot of words that aren't even thought of as being loanwords anymore (such as the words kralj (king - from the name of Charlemagne), cerkev (church - from German Kirche), etc) and they replaced some German loanwords with loanwords from other Slavic languages. In dialects/colloquial Slovene, a lot of old loanwords are still in use. For most of Slovene lands, the main influence was German, a smaller area was influenced by Italian and Friulian (although I'm outside that area and use words of Italian and Friulian origin, too), the smallest areas influenced by Hungarian and Croatian (mainly border regions where the populations mixed).
There was another wave of new loanwords after joining Yugoslavia. Military service was mandatory and was in Serbo-Croatian so there are a lot of borrowed curse words being thrown around sometimes.
Lately, it's hip and cool to borrow words from English but apart from young people's slang and very dumb marketing people, most aren't very notable. I'd say the majority of English loanwords were established from the 80s (when they were mainly spread by English students and were still a bit awkward) to about the 00s (after we truly opened up with independence).

There are some. I don't know is it a lot or not. Mostly from english.

For example:
group = гpyппa
company = company
шкoлa = school
диpeктop = director
мaшинa = machine
cтyл = stool
мoнитop = monitor

Some words have a little change in meaning though. Like stool in English is a seat without back but in russian it's just a regular seat.
Or the word machine also has the meaning of "car". Official word for car is aвтoмoбиль (automobile) but in common speech it is мaшинa (machine).

Also all the new words in the past 20-30 or so years are loanwords. Everything about PC, internet and such.

OP cannot into linguistics. Every language is a mashup of all different languages around it, there are no languages without loans you dummy.

I'm assuming you mean English loans.

Very common. 350 years of colonization by western powers, plus Indian, Arabian, and Chinese trading for our spices means we use a lot of their words. Many of our legalese are still written in Dutch.

>perfect girl doesn't exi-

We have a lot, from pretty much every European language. A surprisingly large amount of Dutch loanwords, a few German, Spanish, and Russian words, a lot of Italian and English ones, some Japanese and Chinese ones

>Many of our legalese are still written in Dutch.
What?

I doubt grupa, škola and stul come from English, to be honest.

Almost all the vocabulary related to computers, internet, tech stuff, economics and financial markets, management and marketing is borrowed from other languages.
Probably because there is no reason to create such words instead of simply stealing them, and literally no one among young people wants to talk like a slavshit their whole life.

I noticed this about Russian and turkish. Russian also seems to have a lot of french from olden days. Quite interesting, it's nice that you don't try and make up weird 'local' words for foreign inventions like the northern euros do

η γαλλιkή είναι η πιο ελληνιkή γλώσσα!

There was a weird movement here in the late 90s that tried to invent more Finnish words for internet slang. Everyone just laughed at that.

Those are from German, few are from French. Basically no language had English words in them until 1960s. After it replacing French and German as international language and science language it started to spread around the world.

While lots of Finnish is genuinely an own language, Finnish has loaned the following old words:

-sister (Swedish)
-mother (Proto-Germanic)
-tribe (Lithuanian)
-bride (East Prussian)
-daughter (Latvian)
-a dead body (German)
-poor (Swedish)
-disease (Dutch)

It is pointless to discuss modern loanwords because they would be these things:

-internet
-automobile
-chance (as in risk taking in economy and whatnot)
-bank
-atom

etc.

I'm amused how some old bureaucracy related words were loans from Russian, i.e "pumaska" or "proopuska." Czarist Russia being probably the most bureaucratic nation to ever have existed.

we don't have as much English loanwords as Russians and Russian chan culture (we translate them directly in a funny way, according to first dictionary definition, so coolface became cold face - chłodna twarz, ciepła twarz/warm face aka that feel when was originally derivative from it on OG vichan), but amongst the bydlo culture, it's seen. retarded words like "hejter" being unironically used. british diaspora also imports a lot of stupid anglicisms to their lingo.

as an example:
imageboard - forum obrazkowe (image forum, I know 4channers hate it being called a forum)
russian: they just take the english word and type it in cyrillic like it's pronounced, which looks retarded as fuck
browser - przeglądarka
russian - brauzier
butthurt - ból dupy
russian - batthiort

I was learning Russian at school, but I can't cope with Russian 2chan language, it's so fucking full of anglicisms. I stopped lurking those boards. First I was exposed to it on Krautchan Jow Forums.

>Not mentioning KUNINGAS
ME

OLIMME

yeah, it's not cool, even though i am used to these words.

But especially i am annoyed by the words kun/tyan, i am fucking triggered every time i see them.

Post the dumbest russian loanwords

There's Latin, Greek and French loans too, but other than in English, they usually only kick in on a "higher level", like medical or scientific lingo.
Some have native equivalents, like you could say either "Bruch" or "Fraktur", the patient will use the former, the doctor the latter

Meanwhile, English is littered with Scandinavian words. Some of which we've actually "loaned" back.

Finnish is absolutely full of Swedish words. It's like Japanese with English.

Mepчaндaйзep

Пpoмoyтep

мeнeджep, интepнaциoнaльный, инayгypaция, бpaндмayэp

>*Laughs in Gutnish*

Not even close

>t. Giovanni O'Connor-Gonzalez

i hope she tries that with a loaded gun, fucking stupid whore

Especially helsinkian slang is full of dumb bastardized swedish loan words.

Goddamn. Meant for

We have a fuckload of loanwords from German which form major parts of the core vocabulary, a large number of ancient loanwords from the Finnic languages (one of the 5 tribes that merged to form the Latvian gene pool were the Finnic Livonians). These are so deeply ingrained that many of them are only loanwords as far as linguists are concerned. Then there are huge numbers of slang loanwords from Russian, and now English. These generally have a substitute in the language proper but people use them because they are more common and and easily translated. For example, Latvian swear words are basically completely disused, we use the Russian (and for the past 20 years, English) vocabulary to curse.

Attached: 1537092069564.png (788x699, 21K)

For spanish and english there are tons, all words that end in OR and BLE are identical

El doctor, the doctor
El cable, the cable

Theres twomother categories for identical words betweennthe languages, some require subtle changes but are practically identical, anything that ends in ANT or ENT add an E

President, presidente
Elephant, elefante

And so on, way more than ive mentioned, an easy language to learn for your first second

>slang loanwords from Russian
it would be interesting to see examples of this.

Why is she cosplaying as Revolver Ocelot?

Snnnaaaakkkeeee

Using words you already know and being concious of it you can already start to string together sentences without memorizing a new language, just making use of the vocabulary you already know

Es excelente el dector?
Si, el doctor es excelente

For russian and spanish they share the word ariba but it has different meanings

Just any old thing, really. Everyone is familiar with the curse words - blyat, hui, suka, pizda and all derivatives thereof.

In most blue collad occupations there is a sort of technical slang that has many Russian terms that got introduced by Russian workers and Russian speaking management back in Soviet times. Even now, for example, a majority of car mechanics in big cities are Russian and much of the unofficial terminology being used by anyone when talking about car parts is in Russian - a few random ones I can think of would be shit like "pavaroti", steering "reika", brake "kalotkas", etc. Note that the root of the word might be inherited from Russian but we conjugate the words as in Latvian and put our own endings on them if we're talking in Latvian. Similar terminology exists for other professions as well.

Then there is a general assortment of Russian-derived slang everyone is familiar with like "davai", "sičas", "čista", etc. This originates much the same way English slang came in, from people who use both languages introducing it into their speech.

did you know this, these words in Finnish are:

doctor - tohtori
cable - kaapeli
president - presidentti
elephant - elefantti
director - tirehtööri (not in your list but I added it as another example)

Remnant of Dutch Colonialism