Country

Country
What are you reading Jow Forums? Where's the koreanon who rates other's books?

Attached: P_20190110_165324_1.jpg (2029x3607, 1.98M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vQQ9jboEyV8
youtube.com/watch?v=4YcswLRbSy8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXHXo4fReY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

USA
Jow Forums

I'm trying to get into reading. The next book I will be reading is Crime and Punishment. I hope it is good.

Flag
Dis
It's very good

Attached: agusud.jpg (177x284, 13K)

Flag.
Just finished the Odyssey and starting on the Holy Bible (Authorized Version).

>reading anything other than Wikipedia and popular science articles

lmao fucking incel

Attached: IMG_8583.jpg (331x500, 23K)

Brothers Karamazov
Fuck me he likes to ramble. Feels like reading Trumps tweets at time.

youtu.be/vQQ9jboEyV8
I literally can't stop watching her videos, I'm in fucking love, she is my ideal girl.
Her voice is so beautiful, but all I have to understand is the shitty auto-translate which butchers her beautiful words. Can some of you who know Korean add proper captions?
Fuck the fact that I'll never spend hours discussing literature with her makes me want to off myself.
I WANT LITFU SO FUCKING BAD AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: SAVEME.jpg (970x545, 50K)

Infinite Jest, I think /lit/ tricked me.

They did.

How far are you?

>I read books

Attached: soylord (1).webm (400x400, 1.94M)

I'm reading the Bible.

what a chad

Attached: 0393355624.jpg (342x515, 43K)

For me it's Hannah
youtube.com/watch?v=4YcswLRbSy8

Attached: 1542257585282.jpg (711x620, 52K)

Reign of Madness
Kel Kade

I'never witnessed a bigger Gary Stu character. It's pretty garbage, can't recommend.

>pops
AbsolutelyDisgusting.jpg

Based but before I can say redpilled are you using the KJV?

It's great

Fucks with you more than a horror story honestly
Had a soft spot for ww1 soldiers but fuck man

Attached: 61Th52ZG+vL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 49K)

Only like 2. At least it isn't like this.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXXHXo4fReY

Literally the only version I know

very early on, the last thing I remember is the druggie called Gutley, very hard to follow book, but there's some interesting reflection here an there

Patrician taste my friend.

Attached: 1544720275845.jpg (334x506, 42K)

>Infinite Jest,

Attached: 2ec.png (327x316, 208K)

I honestly couldn't imagine reading it another way, I know enough ye olde english that I don't get confused often but even when I do I can't imagine it being nearly as compelling as if I were reading it in a mundane modern translation.

It gets easier to comprehend around pages 250-300, and then in retrospect the earlier pages will make more sense.
I felt similarly when I read it, didn't really get it, nothing was making sense. Then it picked up and I couldn't put it down. And ironically despite its length, it's still the only book I wished was longer when I was reading, I wanted it to never end.

But it's very divisive, you may never end up liking it. But I'd say to keep pushing on

I like it for memorizing scripture. It feels like it has a certain authority to it that other translations don't.

USA
Pic related
Really enjoying it.

Attached: 51R8NiSBUkL._SX289_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg (291x499, 25K)

Knausgard
Min kamp 3

It's unironically the best novel ever written, although if you're just "trying to get into reading" then I don't know if I'd recommend starting with that. It's long and dense and it being an 19th century Russian novel means that every character has multiple names depending on who is talking to them, so it can get very confusing.

Attached: th[1].jpg (2048x2048, 174K)

I'm waiting for some history books I've bought online to arrive. In the meantime I started rereading The Lord of the Rings last night. Knowing just how slow-paced and sometimes difficult it is to get through has made me more patient with it, so I can just sit back and enjoy the slow, leisurely pace and relaxing atmosphere.

"The Fourth Geopolitical Theory" by Alexandr Dugin in Polish.

Attached: Kot Dugin.jpg (605x807, 68K)

Attached: 41RqrjJqWBL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (330x499, 30K)

Attached: 51x8FktwncL._AC_SY400_.jpg (251x400, 20K)

It's a pretty bad book desu. The other two anons probably haven't read it. I can explain to you why it's terrible if you want to

Is it interesting? I always see them sperging out in public, it's cringeworthy.

>although if you're just "trying to get into reading" then I don't know if I'd recommend starting with that
I've read other stuff recently. I read a lot of Greek mythology (according to /lit/ you should start with the Greeks because they're the foundation for much of western literature, dunno how true that is though) but now I want to start reading some actual novels.

that's quite the title

I'm reading pic related (ebook)
not the best cover but luckily I don't have to see it either

Attached: Dostoevsky, Fyodor - Crime and Punishment (Penguin, 2014).jpg (512x768, 204K)

Looks interesting. Amazon Japan ran out of stock, tomorrow night I'll drop by Kinokuniya Books and see if they have it.

Flag
Runaway Horses

Even when it was slow it was comfy for me. I watched the movies first so I was impatient with how it wasn't moving at all like the film but eventually I appreciated how vividly I could imagine while reading it.

You'll be fine for it I think

why desu

>I can explain to you why it's terrible if you want to
I think I'll pass because of spoilers.

I dunno if it's just the antique language but yeah, it definitely feels like you're reading something more profound than if it were in the same language I use shitposting on Jow Forums. Much more poetic?

It probably helps any quote from it is invariably from the KJV. so there's that familiarity.

It's quite good. I got into it after watching the TV series based on the book, but, as is so often the case, the book is far better. It's even gotten me interested in more of Dan Simmons' material.

Alright, but I can tell you this without spoilers: During the book you will eagerly wait for the ultimate answer to Raskolnikovs moral crisis, but the answer, which is given in the last chapters, is not very satisfying, because he doesn't explain why it is the answer.

I was just very dissatisfied with the ending. Raskolnikov goes through a moral crisis, then invents his own personal moral system, acts upon it and is catapulted into a new and severe moral crisis. While reading this book I was eagerly waiting for the answer to moral nihilism, but a well-explained answer is not given. He falls in love with beautiful Sophia, who is a Christian, and then decides to become a Christian himself and that's the ending.

I like the glass castle by Jeannette Walls. Does anyone know the book?

>While reading this book I was eagerly waiting for the answer to moral nihilism, but a well-explained answer is not given
That's because Dostoevsky strongly opposed nihilism and thought it was a worthless attitude to have and thus could not be justified or explained.

>He falls in love with beautiful Sophia, who is a Christian, and then decides to become a Christian himself and that's the ending
Dostoevsky was a devout Christian and believed that it was the path to redemption and satisfaction in life. It's a perfectly reasonable ending to the story (even though if it ended as soon as he turned himself in it would have been a much more impactful and memorable ending).

It's about life in suburban America, a personal diary

>Borges - Fictions
love the guy, I read a story before bed if I'm tired
>Malaparte - Kaputt
absolutely based

>Stearns - Dancing in the Glory of Monsters
been doing some reading on Africa lately, it's an interesting book

is it actually good? I fukken loved the tv series

It is perfectly reasonable that he became a Christian. I mean it was quite clear from the beginning that he would end up becoming Christian. I was , however, waiting for an explanation for this transition, but he doesn't give one.

Ive read it, liked it a lot. essential hobo-core. the sequel is trash tho, don't bother

Sure he does. Simply because you might get away with a crime, much like Rodja did, doesn't mean it won't stop eating away at your soul - like it did Rodja's. Because he knew, deep down, from the get go, that what he had done was wrong and that ultimately his rationalizations of his actions were bad.

Finn here, reading pic related. Just finished part one, and I'm very excited to continue reading. The father is/was hilarious.

Attached: TBK.jpg (1513x2322, 1.19M)

Dostojevsky probably wouldn't have cared when a black was being discriminated, and neither would the vast majority of people at that time, but nowadays it's one of the worst sins. Nowadays, people feel, "deep down", that it's wrong. "Just listen to your soul" is a retarded answer to the moral question.

No. He tried to justify his actions by saying that everything is meaningless anyway, since there is no transcendental morality. Then he acted upon that idea, and it all fell apart. Because there is a transcendental morality.

That was not my argument retard. I was giving an explanation as to why Dostojevskys answer to the moral question was retarded.

Very soon dune again. I also wanted to read god makers from frank Herbert but I can't find it in a book store, I'll have to get it from eBay.

flag
pic related

Attached: images (1).jpg (260x336, 21K)

oh I remember you and your shit taste in literature
also pic related

Attached: 71nBWJXx5cL.jpg (1051x1360, 187K)

Attached: finsk_bok.jpg (2220x2903, 852K)

Oh no, I'm going to cry.

It's a beautiful book don't listen to that swiss idiot

good

B A S E D

A

S

E

D

How was the Odyssey? I'm reading Aeneid and its great

Jfl at you low IQ. You don't understand genetic evolution, nor do you understand the gene-meme relationship to have a discussion about the moral question. You are utterly worthless

just finished reading this

Attached: 693251E4-4F39-4C26-ADDC-9375036BD20A.jpg (339x500, 39K)

And it was wrong to discriminate against blacks even then, even if people didn't think so.

And "just listen to your soul" is pretty much what he warns about with nihilism... You need to read that book again, clearly.

Attached: index.jpg (251x201, 10K)

USA
Pic related. It's an ethnography focuses on the relationship between adivasi (tribal) communities in India and Maoist insurgents. Pretty good read.

Attached: book.jpg (384x800, 52K)

Right now it's this.

Attached: books.jpg (600x600, 40K)

how do i thumb up

>And it was wrong to discriminate against blacks even then, even if people didn't think so.
KEK. Do you unironically think that your personal moral system is objectively true? Moral standards deviate radically from century to century, from country to country, from individual to individual. Hell, even we two have a moral disagreement. I don't believe that discrimination is bad.

>And "just listen to your soul" is pretty much what he warns about with nihilism... You need to read that book again, clearly.
Now you are contradicting yourself, Sven. I recommend that you read one of your previous posts. Raskolnikov, deep down in his soul, always knew that his actions were wrong, however, he was able to create a new moral system through his great intellect and rationalization. This new moral system was in opposition to his conception of Good and Evil which he could feel in his soul. When he acted upon his new moral system, it destroyed him internally. His true moral system, which he felt in his soul, rebelled and eventually he dropped his new moral system and returned to the one he internally felt was true.

Frederik, bist du es?

You're right. She has a really good voice and speech.
t. saw her lecture once irl at my univ

and she is a singer-songwriter.

Im reading
Oriental Sacred Place
Visionary Fairies in Shrine
Wild and Horned Hermit
Steel Ball Run

No but sorry if I called you a idiot. Your point of view is interesting. And de gustibus non est disputandum

Attached: swiss.jpg (656x492, 90K)

All of them at the same time?

Yeah

Attached: 1544761635651.jpg (1200x848, 174K)

Unironically reading a song of ice and fire. Despite being a reddit show, the book is actually quite fun

Those are manga not like they take great effort to read.

Yeah, I've read the first three and agree. Need to reread them before I delve into the 4th and 5th, though. How far are you into the series?

I'm on the second book only

>What are you reading

Attached: porsche-956-and-962-owners-workshop-manual.jpg (800x800, 137K)

Ah, I thought those were books. That reminds me that I have to read Batman Kings of Fear.

Recommend me some books from your countries

"Die Panne" by Friedrich Dürrenmatt.

Alejandro Dolina (Crónicas del Ángel Gris, Cartas Marcadas)
Enrique Medina (Las Tumbas, Las Muecas del Miedo)
Sergio Aguirre (Los Vecinos Mueren en Las Novelas, La Venganza de la Vaca)
Liliana Bodoc (La Saga de Los Confines)

Attached: images (16).jpg (872x352, 43K)

La Pelle - Curzio Malaparte
The Nonexistent Knight - Italo Calvino
A Year on the High Plateau - Emilio Lussu
A Violent Life - Pierpaolo Pasolini
The Leopard - Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
The Day of Judgement - Salvatore Satta

Gravity's Rainbow

Measuring the World, by Daniel Kehlmann
The Tin Drum, by Günter Grass
Steppenwolf, by Hermann Hesse
The Clown, by Heinrich Böll
Thus Spoke Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche

Meme list desu

True, but I think they're good starting points for German literature, especially if we're talking about only from Germany and not German language in general.

I can't think of any good German book desu. I enjoyed The Trial, but he's Jewish and not German.