Smart Contracts vs. Currency

Which do you see surviving long-term in the blockchain scene, smart contracts such as Ethereum, or currency such as Bitcoin? My money is on smart contracts, but I'd love to hear other opinions

Attached: smart-contract.jpg (578x302, 124K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/@jimmysong/the-truth-about-smart-contracts-ae825271811f
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Both but they need working decentralized oracles unironically

Attached: C71079D9-5BC4-420A-8414-EBA76A66A6F6.jpg (750x824, 509K)

Ethereum can do everything bitcoin can and more. There's literally no need for bitcoin.

pretty nice hookah

Smart contracts are pretty retarded

Let's see what your blockchain looks like in 2025.
It's already hard to sync it.
In less than 10 years it will be completely centralized, and also within those 10 years a gobernment will say fuck you ethereum.

Attached: 1519843328369.png (774x506, 16K)

And read this and tell me where he's wrong about smart contracts being retarded.
medium.com/@jimmysong/the-truth-about-smart-contracts-ae825271811f

BCore, Monero, Ether and a few select low-no-hype altcoins that extend the use cases of smart contracts (LINK, ENG, maybe ZIL, maybe QSP, etc). Everything else is going to implode in the next 6 months. 90% of dotcom startups folded in the aftermath of the first tech bubble, it will probably be an order of magnitude higher for ICOs (98-99%... there's 1600 fucking cryptos out there and I genuinely would not be surprised to see less than 3 dozen of them still existing this time next year).

Hahaha.
His first problem is with the literal words "smart contract". He thinks anything described as "smart" should be intelligent, like some sort of AI system. This can be disregarded.
His second problem is that smart contracts are hard to write correctly. No shit. Regular contracts are hard too.
His third problem is that oracles are centralised. HMMMMMMMMMMMM!?

I can see the author of this article saying that nobody will ever want to use a computer at home... or that hard drives will never need to be bigger than several KB... or that Bitcoin will never be valuable

Such a ridiculous lack of foresight

>oracles are centralised
EOY 1000

Attached: wikishh2.jpg (600x600, 178K)

Just bought 100k link

Reached the same conclusion here.
The liberal amount of ebin comics doesn't help his case.

Attached: perfect union4.jpg (736x1112, 338K)

Attached: 12.jpg (1024x1024, 197K)

smart contracts and daps

currency coins will die out
They provide no value

Coins that actually have utility will do well long term. Blockchain technology is not just for digital money and we will see that in the coming years.

Ethereum isn't a smart contract: it's a platform that can run smart contracts and there's a huge difference. Ethereum is more like an operating system or network that you can trade access to while Bitcoin is money. I see examples of both ironically surviving for different reasons. I do believe that almost all currency coins except for maybe 10 or less will die off in the next few years as people adjust to crypto and stop chasing "the next Bitcoin." Currency coins that don't get adopted as currency are worthless.

Will Monero make it?

Attached: IMG_2016.jpg (750x150, 17K)

Yes, terrorists will always exist.

Currency coins will all die out. Bitcoin isn’t really currency though so it will be fine.
>muh digital gold meme
Bitcoin will be a hedge against inflation and to preserve value during times of economic downturn

Smart contract platforms will be tied to performance of the overall economy since, after adoption, their usage is determined by the amount of business being done.

So they are equally important and somewhat uncorrelated long term so you should hold both. Fuck currency coins though

both if link

Agreed, BTC is a store of value, I think ETH will be the top dog platform.

I think so because there will always be criminals who need privacy and it's already becoming the currency of choice for the darknet markets as law enforcement becomes better at tracking bitcoin transactions through the blockchain. However, Monero might find itself replaced by something better down the road if they offer better privacy and speed, or if Monero somehow gets exploited by law enforcement.

The only way that Bitcoin ever becomes a true "store of value" or a "hedge against inflation" is if the volatility in it is reduced to near zero. If your Bitcoin can drop 10% overnight or stay down 20% from what you paid for it for years, it's not much of a store of value compared to the USD and other established, first world fiat currencies unless we see a literal apocalyptic failure of governments worldwide. Right now you're much more likely to lose a shitload more money on an investment in Bitcoin than you'd ever lose at even 4% annual inflation because of the market's volatility combined with the entry points when you likely buy in.

Attached: wiki1.jpg (600x600, 189K)

>And in this light, Oracles are just dumbed down versions of judges. Instead of getting machine-only execution and simplified enforcement, what you actually get is the complexity of having to encode all possible outcomes with the subjectivity and risk of human judgment. In other words, by making a contract “smart”, you’ve drastically made it more complex to write
>>>>>>>>>>>>while still having to trust someone.
Hmm.

kek smiles on delphi

Can I get a quick rundown on this? I know what the Delphic Oracle from Greek history is but what is Wikileaks referring to here?