Unregulated, unacknowledged, and highly lucrative. This is MTG, the next hot asset

Unregulated, unacknowledged, and highly lucrative. This is MTG, the next hot asset.

Attached: 2ed-233-black-lotus.jpg (672x936, 286K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/userlint/status/1003782499275702272
youtube.com/watch?v=geIEzopYa8o
twitter.com/AnonBabble

based. I don't pay taxes on my gainz of this shit.

Pic is a Chinese counterfeit

basically the only problem, but it's a huge one.

Attached: 1529149791695.jpg (400x600, 74K)

Oh shiii black lotus brother. Reminds me of high school

And to think in 7th grade I brought Mirage and Ice age over revised :(

Attached: CEerOQU.jpg (500x500, 80K)

The game is dying and the cards are very highly priced compared to similar collectibles (e.g. Pokemon). Look at Wizard of the Coast's sales. A lot of

Magic: the Gathering >
Hearthstone >
Cryptozombies

Baseball cards continue to go up in value despite the fact that no one under 50 collects them.

Comics continue to go up in value despite the fact that sales are rock bottom, DC is on its deathbed, and the only thing keeping Marvel alive is Disney and their MCU.

So, your point?

mtg cards are shit

I like my buddy's version better

twitter.com/userlint/status/1003782499275702272

Nice. Me too.

The reserved list is all that matters long term. everything else pumps and dumps. Just be super careful of chink fakes

>Chinese counterfeits are getting so good now its making autism paper worthless

Everything is a bubble now because there's too much liquidity from QE.

thanks, just sold 100k

>And it's making my cube awesome

You don't get it. Anyone new to magic wishes they can get their hands on a black lotus one day. Same for other cool vintage cards that aren't printed anymore. Those will keep rising forever.

But of course, that's just 0.1% of the cards. The rest will keep getting reprinted, or cool new cards will replace their effects.

crappy card game no.1

MTG finance is great, lots of quick 10x flips and its not even very risky, puts crypto to shame other than its less liquid

The only reason it's not that liquid is because it's not very well-known. Once people catch on, I guarantee MTGFinance will be the Swiss Bank Account that Crypto WAS before the Government started trying to regulate it.

post your /Cardfolio/ itt

Attached: 9872531432.jpg (982x575, 46K)

stupidest shit ive read all day congratulations

It's pretty obvious that Wizards is in panic mode with the amount of constant reprints they're doing. They hit the power ceiling so they tried to tone down standard and everyone hated it. It's apparent that they're aware the game is going to start to tank soonish so they're artificially increasing interest by reprinting notoriously hard to get cards.

What are you going to do when they get rid of the list? It's going to happen, so whats your exit strategy? When they announce it it'll automatically cause a ripple in prices dropping due to panic selling.

>wizards of the coast will become the world central bank

Attached: reserve_currency_2070.jpg (500x433, 50K)

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHA

>NUMALES

youtube.com/watch?v=geIEzopYa8o

literally the same FUD that has been spread for decades.
original printings from 93/94 will retain their value due to the fact that they cant be accurately reprinted to look like the originals and they will still have an extremely low total supply.
old school is on the rise and the genXers are the next to start retiring, this shit will be popping off especially within the next 20 years, its still early

No, WoTC has been reprinting cards more often lately because Modern replaced Extended. If you invested in Modern and got burned, it's your own fault, WoTC made it clear from the beginning that they would mass reprint the staples to "keep them as accessible as possible". Look at Tarn. That $70 price tag would be more like $200 if not for reprints. And honestly, without reprints, Modern probably wouldn't have survived as a format. Invest in RL, or accept the risks and don't cry when you lose.

>FUD
>Go back 12 years, Blizzard literally does the exact same thing with type 2.
>MTG starts to die
>Panic ensues
>Light Reprint
>It's not effective
>Aesthetic changes
>It's not effective
>2 years pass and MTG is almost dead.
>R&D decides fuck it, time to pull a gambit and ruin the integrity of the game by making ridiculously OP cards in a block and call it Eldrazi (originally going to make a whole different color.)
>It works, increases interest the game
>!0 years pass
>Literally the exact same cycle has began.

There is no saving it this time, they can make cards only so powerful before it's boring/stupid. I give it 5 years. They've double downed on reprinting this time hoping that will solve the issue and it will for a little while.

I love MTG, but I know what I'm talking about.

see

True to a point, but don't be deluded.

Do you actually think Wizards would admit that they're struggling? It's no secret that standard is tanking.

MTG's power level isn't even close to Yugioh yet. Yet Yugioh is still somewhat popular even today.

ok all of that is true but we are still going to make gains off of the reserved list and original printings for the next few years at least no? why are you such a salty nocarder

>Doesn't answer a simple question
>Instead, get triggered because he somehow views my rational question as a personal attack and has to insult me

You're never going to make it user. You're way too stupid.

Different groups of gamers.

Yugioh has easier rule set and attracts a younger game crowd. Because the game is easier to learn people are more willing to learn how to play.

Magic is more difficult and Wizards has said that getting new players interested is their biggest hurdle.

I have a black lotus and some other cards from around that period. They would be well used from playing with them and god knows what time has done to them, they'd be basically worthless yeah?

You know a tcg is dying when you can barely find anyone under the age of 25 following it.

You don't know what you're talking about. You talk as if I'm buying the top when most of my specs I've sold to 10x, 20x 50x, gains etc

Classic Yugioh is simple. Ever since Synchro, Yugioh has becoming progressively more complex.

That's why Duel Links exists. Konami knows that everything after GX was a mistake, so they're phasing out the paper TCG in favor of Duel Links. And it's working; Yugioh's finally getting new players after half a decade of stagnation.

Post good standard and modern specs.

exactly, youd have to be retarded to get into any of these stupid card games now, you're 10 years too late to the party.

nobody cares anymore, and its just a bunch of old guys trying to sell a bunch of worthless pieces of printed paper that nobody is stupid enough to buy anymore.

The flaw of MTG as even garfield admitted is the lajds system. Just retarded
Hearrhstone-like systems are just the way to go.

Standard: Any of the Tribal stuff from XLN block. They will get way better with Vehicles, Fatal Push, and most of the good red cards rotating.

Modern: Devastating Summons - has been consistently topping MODO leagues in a Goblin deck.

Thx dude gonna look into it :)

can't wait for the red mage 1 drop, hazoret and glorybringer to rotate btw

>Still hasn't answered simple questions
>Somehow talking about his past success is relevant to my questions about the future

You are seriously one of the dumbest traders I've talked to and I frequently play with TCGplayer (formerly brainburst) employees.

Enjoy whatever windfall you can for now, you obviously have no plan and are incapable of thinking beyond the present.

The land system, while being a flaw of MTG as a game, is also one of the 2 main things (the other being the Reserved List) that makes MTG such a great investment. The fact that everyone needs lands, and most of the best lands are rare, means that they are virtually guaranteed to always go up in value.

the shift in profit margins is toward the online platforms but they will never match the experience of actually playing the old cards with friends

Kids these days don't have "playdates" like they used to. Now they have digital hangouts on their Discords.

No, even the damaged ones are worth thousands of dollars.

wait a minute, is this thread just hasbro submarine marketing?

Attached: 1527210588860.png (713x611, 26K)

Magic cards are pretty easy money once you know what you're doing. You can make some nice, easy shekels just by knowing a bit of the meta and micro 101. Plus the game is actually pretty fun

Pic related is a card from a known combo deck. The 2nd card of the combo got reprinted and pic related happened in like 2 days.

Attached: ss+(2018-06-25+at+05.07.39).jpg (981x386, 98K)

The game is significantly less fun than Hearthstone, but at least you make money instead of losing money.

Think of MTG like grilled chicken, and Hearthstone like fried chicken. The latter is far more pleasurable, but the former is healthier.

>Opinions
I tried both and honestly the RNG over RNG layers in Hearthstone turns me off a lot. You already have a deck of cards man. Shit's even justified by the devs because RNG bullshit makes for "stories to tell your friends". Fucking bullshit.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying that, but Magic is a game where you play on the opponent's turn, where you discard their key card or counter their key spells, or Aggro them down on 3 turns, or revive a really busted creature turn 2. Even decks which lock people out of playing anything exist. The ammount of bullshit you're allowed to get away with is way, way bigger. The devs just try to sugarcoat Standard and Limited, but the real fun is on the eternal formats, where you're encouraged to make everyone else feel bad so (You) can feel good, exclusively.

[spoiler]Also last time I played HS they nerfed my Hunter, and I bet it was because the deck I had required no Legendaries to be good and relied on one 8 mana Epic to work. Still mad.
[/spoiler]

RNG makes it more fun imo. Magic is a game is far too complicated to get into for anyone with an IQ below 125. Combine that with the absurd price barrier; and you need both a high IQ AND a high net worth to really get into Magic.

That's why I really only get involved in the finance/investing aspect of MTG. It's away easier than actually playing the game, with much higher reward. Besides, I have average intelligence and only make $42k annually at my dead-end job.

Magic cards get most of their value from how good they are in the game, not from collectability

So? Baseball cards get most of their value from how good the players are/were, how popular their team is, and how early in their career the cards represent. Hence how the most valuable cards are rookie cards of Hall of Fame Yankees.

Not to mention Modern is a way better format than Wild. Modern is amazing, Wild is a huge shitshow. Shows that WoTC is way better at planning ahead with their card designs than Blizzard.

Oh look, it's a printed tulip.

Because the cards valuable for their playability condition is much less a concern compared to other collectibles

Until they reprint

Yeah. The difference between a HP Base 1st Ed Zard compared to a PSA 10 is around $300 to $30,000. It's absurd. Yet even the worst condition Alpha Lotuses can go for upwards of $10,000.

That's the range from a damaged Revised Volcanic Island and 2 Alpha Black Lotuses. Let that sink in; THAT'S just how condition matters for things like Pokemon and Baseball that are valued mainly for collectibility.

That's your answer, stake your tokens, receive new cards as staking rewards.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 18.16.39.png (1802x964, 258K)

TCGs aren't dead; they've just experienced a major demographic shift over the past decade.

Now, instead of being marketed for nerdy kids, they're for wealthy adults.

Magic The Gathering Online Exchange was hacked and their dumps will kill biz

Reserved List will never be reprinted.

Reprints aren't indicitave of the game dying; WoTC reprints more now because Modern exists. When people bitch about reprints, what they're actually saying is "I invested way too much $$$ hoarding hundreds of copies of Modern cards and now I'm salty I'm not going to get rich off them".

Reprints keep Modern alive. In fact, if WoTC DIDN'T reprint, you'd have lost way more money, as Modern wouldn't have survived, and the your Modern cards would have become completely worthless. At least with reprints, Modern is still able to stay alive, which keeps the staples fairly valuable.

If you hoarded Modern cards early on, you should be fine. Instead of crying that you're not going to become a millionaire off them, you should be happy you made money off them at all, which you wouldn't have if not for reprints.

That's why the Reserved List exists. We have a whole list of cards that will never be reprinted, so don't cry when cards that can be reprinted inevitably get reprinted.

Modern is incredibly fucking gay beyond measure. Gloating 45yo finance nerds whip out their $5000 decks to jerk off over their 1turn retard combos.

Normies will buy whatever tolarian community commie tells them too.

That's Nonproxy Vintage, not Modern.

>tfw your two legacy decks skyrocketed in value over 100% when they announced the legacy pro tour news
>tfw your MTG value has outperformed your crypto portfolio in 2018

>started playing Unlimited/Revised around Antiquities/Legends/The Dark
>stopped buying new sets after around Homelands
>have no fucking idea how to play the game anymore with all the new crazy shit they've added/changed
>sold what was left of my cards about 4 years ago, kinda regret it because it was legit fun

Crypto has gotten hammered in 2018. From Bitconnect, to BitFinex, to regulation efforts, it's not looking good. But I'm sure it will start going up again soon.

Yeah. Next year

you think it will take that long?

No, this shit is dead in the water. I like that psychopath gay card game guy 'Alpha Investments' or w.e the fuck his channel is called. Saw it randomly once in a biz thread and yeah, hes passionate about his manchild hobby which is admirable... but he is a psychopath for sure. You can tell within 5 seconds.

But yeah, all games like this are long gone. I dont even think gaming (as in, video games) will continue the way it has been recently.

tell it to the nerds at games workshop you sweaty old boomer

Video games will continue. But console games a la Playstation/Xbox won't. The future is PC Gaming, and gaming tablets like the Nintendo Switch.