Tell me honestly please, have you non-Japanese never really had trouble distinguishing Ls from Rs in English?

Tell me honestly please, have you non-Japanese never really had trouble distinguishing Ls from Rs in English?

I think I'm actually pretty good at speaking English for an East Asian monolingual, but still, when it comes to hearing new English words or made-up words that contain either Ls or Rs in the spelling, it's still quite hard for me to discern which is used.

It makes me sad as I love English.

Attached: 728a77a1d3c6422189684a8ec30cf4a4.jpg (1024x683, 202K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1ZevbcXyR9w
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_of_English_Jow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If there was one thing a Jap could do to set their English skills apart from their peers, it's to learn how to pronounce the letter L.
It's extremely noticeable, and if you were able to do it you'd have better English than 99% of Japs.

Hi English teacher.
I see you're enjoying life in Tokyo, good.

Im sorry I know its common but how the fuck do people mix L with R?
With L put your tongue on the roof of your mouth just behind your two front teeth. R is nothing like that motion

I've got no issue pronouncing the letter L.
Ear is the problem.

I couldn't pronounce R as a kid and had to go to a speech therapist a few times.

No problem at all.
Many people here have problems with it, though. Mainly because boomers speak Chinese natively and zoomers like me speak English.

If someone isn't speaking clearly or something I guess it could be possible to mix these up but generally no, they sound very distinct.

Yeah I understand they are pronounced very differently with different tongue movement but for some reason they sound almost the same, at least to us...

Don't rest on your laurels :^)

That's why we call it EngRish.

Usually I solve the english "R" problem with simple pronouncing english words with finnish rolled R.

I'll occasionally mispronounce and L as an R and I don't know any Asian languages. Maybe it's a somewhat natural thing to do like having a lisp or speaking like a child.

I have no problem distinguishing Ls from Rs. Can you distinguish "su" from "tsu"? They sound the same to me

vocaroo.com/i/s1ZevbcXyR9w

Say Tlaloc.

Try making the "r" at the end of "your" more drawn out, seems like you're saying "yo"

>speech therapist
No such thing exists in Japan. Interesting.

They don't have tu or ti sounds. Tsu is their replacement for tu and is more plosive than su.

Do orthopedicians exist in japan?

Attached: Bowlegs Japanese.jpg (480x360, 40K)

But isn't it the American-only R sound?

Probably you have them. They're called logopedist. Don't you have kids that stutters in Japan?

haha, we of course do although few go see a doctor to have their bowlegs fixed.
Like Africans got dark skin to adapt to the brutal sun heat, our legs have evolved for our sitting-on-floor culture, maybe.

Kawaii uguuuu~
There are your bowlegs.

Attached: sitting.jpg (300x225, 21K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perception_of_English_Jow Forums_and_/l/_by_Japanese_speakers