/lang/ - Language Learning General

Scandinavian languages edition.

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
New Swedish
>What language should I learn?
Old Swedish

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: 1549764495550.png (735x1102, 137K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8qNeKJopor8
radioambulante.org/transcripcion/transcripcion-alias-el-condor
youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-zEhOO8ow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Reposting.

Kind of Easy:
>She met me in the city.
>We rode in a car everyday.
>I want to leave tonight.
>Come with me.
>Let's swim in the sea.

Kind of Hard:
>We can do anything if we put our minds to it.
>I want to start a new life with you.
>My old friends are now my enemies.
>I remember falling in love with you.
>Those are my most precious memories.

first for svenska and stolen infographics

Hope /ourguy/ laoshu is doing well

Attached: fullwidth.79ebed71.jpg (970x595, 336K)

Look at the German I wrote

> Viele kleine Blattläuse sind unter dem Blatt und auf dem Trieb.
> Manche Blattläuse sind grün. Andere sind bräunlich oder gelb.
> Blattläuse ernähren sich von Pflanzensaft der Pflanzen. Blattläuse lassen klebrige Belag, oder Honigtau, auf den Pflanzen hinter.

> Many small aphids sit on the leaf. There is also an aphid on the stem.
> Some aphids are green. Others are brownish or yellow.
> Aphids feed on plant sap of plants. Aphids leave behind sticky topping, or honeydew, on the plants.

Attached: ladybugs-on-leaf.jpg (2121x1414, 1.43M)

Learn Norwegian, not Swedish.
Learn German, not Dutch.
Learn Spanish, not French.

>Learn Norwegian, not Swedish.
Wrong.
>Learn German, not Dutch.
Correct.
>Learn Spanish, not French.
Questionable.

Gonna learn all of them so

based

Inb4 espérant-o posters.

Fuck espérant-o!

Attached: get this fucking noob out of here.jpg (253x199, 6K)

Attached: PepePartyhat.png (103x128, 17K)

Cute bugs

For me, it's Norwegian.

>want to learn Italian for the arts
>know in my heart that mandarin is infinitely more useful
I have to pick a class eventually

Learn Russian, not Ukrainian
Learn Finnish, not Estonian
Learn Xhosa, not Yeyi

När är din födelsedag?

Checked.
Based!

>Learn Russian, not Ukrainian
Correct.
>Learn Finnish, not Estonian
Correct.
>Learn Xhosa, not Yeyi
Uh...

Cantonese is more useful.

Attached: 54911fdc-483c-41a9-8068-018e84e43187_x365.jpg (365x300, 17K)

learn an endangered language

Attached: languages.jpg (624x489, 81K)

>Sardinian
Isn't it considered among the closest languages to Latin?

that would be a massive waste of time and energy. the only languages worth learning are those that are commonly used in the modern world, such as spanish.

What would you even do with such language?

Brag about it?

Yes, you would get all the girls at the party dripping because you are so smart and worldly and educated

Imagine what a girl would think if you knew Sardinian, one of the closest living languages to Latin, one of the most prestigious languages in the world

As a 40 year old virgin, I don't need to learn endangered languages to impress women lol

>Oromo
Since when was that endangered?

Ikh lern mikh yiddish itst. Keyn andern?

>Learn Norwegian, not Swedish.

He's actually right, norwegian is the dialect you want to learn to more easily understand the other two scandi langs swedish and danish

Okay, let me try to clear this up a bit.
Norwegian, Danish and Swedish share a common ancestor, Norse. The very early stages of each one of them were of course just dialects of Norse, in the case of Swedish it evolved into East Norse. So the early stages can arguably called dialects. The interesting thing here is that Swedish, for example, is of even another subdivision within the Norse branch than the others, having a distinctly different grammar than the others. Over time they of course grew to other languages that just work differently than one another in various aspects. Mutual intelligibility does not imply tha those languages are just the same and everything's just a dialect.

Here's an analogue example:
Low German is a language of the Germanic branch, it's roughly between Dutch and High German in terms of consonant and vowel shifts, it's mutually intelligible with German and to a good extent also with Dutch, in some regards even more so, especially phonology. All three can communicate with one another if they slow down just a bit. Exactly like Scandinavians. They do, however, of course not speak the same language, they're distinct in their idiomatic expressions, high frequency words that just function differently, their grammar, just about everything varies either more or less inbetween them. Having the same ancestor language does not mean that the dialects thereof do not grow to be different languages but rather stay dialects, that's absurd. As a metaphor, Danish would be Dutch, Norwegian would be Low German and Swedish would be High German.

Same deal with Scandinavian languages. Norwegian for example has a whole nother grammatical gender, Swedish grammar overall is far more complicated than that of Danish or Norwegian.

However, you could argue that Norwegian Bokmål, to some extent (God forgive me for saying this), is more or less a Danish copypaste due to 400 years of Danish rule. Unlike Norwegian Nynorsk. That's about it.

>dialect

There's only one language, love

English is a German dialect desu

This is only if your a native/very fluent speaker of Norwegian thats not how it works for a second language Norwegian learner .

I mars.

>Hon träffade mig i staden
Say 'på stan'.

>Vi åkte i en bil varje dag
Technically correct, just sounds off because it doesn't sound like something anyone would say.

>Jag vill lämna ikväll
Should prolly be "jag vill åka ikväll" for a general leaving statement, or "jag vill lämna [whatever place they're at] ikväll".

>Kom med mig
Alri

>Vi kan simma i havet
You could just 1:1 that one as "Låt oss bada i havet". Simma is a correct translation of the verb itself, but in this context we use 'bada' (cognate English 'bathe').

Am tired so I could probably explain more but I don't have the energy. I also have a hard time focusing on correcting this since I'm in voice chat with a Pole speaking Norwegian lmao.

Attached: ThinkingWat.png (112x112, 8K)

No worries man that's alright.

Have you ever learned some technic/trick/method through books? I wanna learn more about how to learn a language by reading. Some good books about it?

>This is only if your a native/very fluent

I dont see a problem here

95+ percent of people who learn a second language never achieve complete fluency, enough to make the mutual intelligibility work. Couple this with the fact its notoriously hard to practise Norwegian because you have to be in Norway to learn it as well as find someone willing to speak to you often without switching to English which they are very proficient in

Teach yourself what a dialect is before opening ur mouth.

Also while we're on the subject lets talk about something sven said in the previous thread

>This is the last time I'll say this.
Mutual intelligibility TO A CERTAIN EXTENT between languages does NOT equate to them being identical.

First off i never ever said scandinvian dialects are identical, and you accuse me of strawmaning?

However Mutual intelligibility to a certain does qualify certain languages to be grouped as dialects of each other which is what swedish to norwegian/danish is, a dialect with its own country and borders

>page 4 and dropping

>95+ percent of people who learn a second language never achieve complete fluency, enough to make the mutual intelligibility work.

Those are some big assumptions there, who's to say if you reach a humble b2 on norwegian dialect you wont be able to understand most danish and swedish?

> Couple this with the fact its notoriously hard to practise Norwegian because you have to be in Norway to learn it as well as find someone willing to speak to you often without switching to English which they are very proficient in

You can just use the internet to find people to speak to or pay people to speak to you using italki

Shh, the Swede you're talking to likes diapers + has turned this general into his own blogposting safespace.

He's also touchy af about any negative statements about Sweden. All it takes it some rainbow flags or mention of Islam to buttblast him.

It's real autism hours now

Posting in an American thread now

Attached: 00094309.jpg (640x480, 79K)

>Couple this with the fact its notoriously hard to practise Norwegian because you have to be in Norway to learn it as well as find someone willing to speak to you often without switching to English which they are very proficient in
Uhm... not really. I'm voicechatting with a Pole whose Norwegian is almost native-tier rn. It's always better to be among natives for immersion of course, but you don't need to be in their country for that. Chatting with natives online is good enough apparently considering how well this dude speaks the lang.

Attached: detective.png (112x112, 36K)

>12 phrases in swedish
The only things I need to know are blända upp and refugees welcome

It's because your scandi langs are primitive af and easy to learn

>primitive af and easy to learn
t. monolingual

blanda upp*
flyktingar är välkomna
amerikaner är besatta av hanrejeri

Are you fucking retarded?

Its true.
Your languages are fucking baby mode

Yes, just like English.

Je vous en pris

Beautiful flag. Still waiting for the Icelandic course for Duolingo.

Part of the reason it's so popular around the world. I certainly wouldn't want to learn Icelandic lol

I respect icelandic for being the only western indo euro lang harder than mighty German

Attached: image.jpg (400x643, 77K)

The flag is as uniquely hideous as all the other scandi flags

Crosses have always been aesthetically pleasing to humans. You're just weird.

You're in every fucking /lang/ thread with your endless shilling and defense of Swedish. Just accept your country is gonna move to a pidgin of English and Arabic within your lifetime, and maybe get a hobby that isn't shitposting here every waking moment of your life.

>maybe get a hobby that isn't shitposting here every waking moment of your life.
cringe

M8 come on, no need to be hostile, and this is coming from the swedish is a dialect guy. Lets just talk about langs and have fun

>You're in every fucking /lang/ thread
I'm usually alone in most threads when it comes to my flag, so I don't think that applies to the user you are replying to.

>he's taking these threads seriously
>actually being angry
Oof, maybe you should take a break.

Kind of Easy:
>She met me in the city.
Ella me conocio en la ciudad.
>We rode in a car everyday.
Montamos en un coche todos los dias.
>I want to leave tonight.
Quiero que salir esta noche.
>Come with me.
Veni conmigo.
>Let's swim in the sea.
Vamos nadar en el mar.

Kind of Hard:
>We can do anything if we put our minds to it.
Podemos hacer cualquier cosa si ponemos nuestros mentes [Couldn't figure it out].
>I want to start a new life with you.
Quiero empezar una vida nueva contigo.
>My old friends are now my enemies.
Mis amigos viejos son mis [something] ahora.
>I remember falling in love with you.
[No idea]
>Those are my most precious memories.
Esos son mis memorias mas [something]

my time to shine

Attached: hp.png (885x626, 82K)

how much have you actually read in what amount of time? I see you here every once in a while

True autism is unproductive. Reading is good.

German language challenge

youtube.com/watch?v=8qNeKJopor8

> Lolle's Mom: Willst du etwa mitfliegen?
> Lolle's Dad: Ja, ich ... hab hier auch ________.
> Lolle's Mom: Ihr könnt mich mal!

I've read the first 2 Harry Potter books in 8(ish?) months, just started the third, I'm on chapter 2. Before that I read through like 16 episode transcripts of the podcast Radio Ambulante like radioambulante.org/transcripcion/transcripcion-alias-el-condor
I'm not as studious as I'd like to be but I try not to worry about it

Attached: lwt.png (1454x758, 110K)

Zum fenster? I Think

Sie hat mir in der Stadt getroffen
Wir sind jeden Tag in einem Auto gefahren
Ich möchte heute Nacht gehen
Komm mit mir
Schwimmen wir im Meer

Wir können alles tun, wenn wir uns darauf konzentrieren
Ich möchte mit dir ein neues Leben beginnen
Meine alten Freunde sind jetzt meine Feinde
Ich erinnere mich daran ...?
Sie sind meine wichtigsten Erinnerungen

and what does ihr könnt mich mean in this context

бaмп

Attached: 1479762336234.jpg (604x453, 49K)

>page 7 before I collapse from like 37 hours of nosleep lmaooo

>mfw I sniped Sven's bump
Go to sleep btw

Attached: 1422574408599.jpg (285x303, 22K)

Enjoy a preview of Berlin, Berlin

youtube.com/watch?v=Vx-zEhOO8ow

>too scared to learn Mandarin
i must conquer these fears

Think of how cool it will feel when you know a scary language like Mandarin

>Enjoy
I don't lol

True, I plan on starting after I get French off the ground

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

NICE digits but who is CHINO?

His wife, dummy. Try to keep up.

Okay I can't stay awake any longer. God natt.

Good night friend

I got a phone notification that tonight, the girl I have a crush on posted another Instagram story.

HOWEVER
HOWEVER
HOWEVER

I did NOT open Instagram. I know it will be a recap of her date night with Chad boyfriend, and it would make my feel jelly and shitty.

Now I will go to sleep, without feeling jealousy and resentment from Instagram.

Turn off push notifications from insta

Nobody fucking cares, this isn't your blog

dit

dit is MIJN blog
ik ga lekker bloggen over mijn nieuwe bureau als ik wil en over mijn kut buren en over weet ik veel mijn gedachten over maatschappelijke kwesties en het stand van zaken in deze wereld
er is maar een simpel regel
als je blogpost, paal maar in je godverdomme doel lang idioot anders ben je zo'n kut aso die nergens anders kan palen of met iemand praten en dus paal je je onzin hier
dit draad en dit boord is niet bedoelt om iedereen een plekje te vinden, ga maar lekker naar /soc/ of maakt mij geen reet uit waar als je over echt nonsense wil palen
weet je als je een beetje het over praat zou dat ook beter zijn in plaats van gewoon over je kut saaie leven palen, ik haat dit stomme enkel weg manier van schijtpalen
wil over iets praten, goed, gaan we over praten
wil je maar je onzin ergens dumpen, optyfen ergens anders

goedemorgen allemaal

At least blogging in your target language is thread relevant, he's just using it as a dumping grounds and shitting the thread up

Welsh is the most beautiful living language in the world and I wish I lived in Wales
/blog

precies mijn punt
ik zie dit vaker op Jow Forums, mensen die nergens anders kunnen gaan om over zijn leven te praten, dus palen ze gewoon hier, maakt niet uit hoe off-topic het is

goed dat er zijn andere mensen die het zelfde denken
ik wed dat zwedem zou ook mee eens zijn maar hopelijk slaapt hij nu
of ligt hij dood

Man I can actually read like half of this just because of German

same the other way around
pretty neat huh

this is what dutch looks like to me

>Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, naal ok zin los vahriin, Wah dein vokul mahfaeraak ahst vaal

t. reddit

that's some klaatu barada nikto shit there my main man

here's a 120% true boomer reference as well
zoomers will have no idea what this is without looking it up

Attached: file.png (636x361, 589K)

Would making Flashcards out of the most common words in your target Lang be useful? Or should I just use words I come across?

Attached: 3F3FBD1C-9AC3-4F2C-B7CE-925C6253145C.png (750x1334, 1.51M)

If the cards are used in a sentence it's probably fine, don't learn them out of context

Tell that to the fucking diaper swede first

>the man in charge of who is subhuman
oh no no no no no

Attached: Absolutely Sweetie.jpg (1200x900, 337K)