Hippies

A question to Americans, but if somebody else has any thoughts on the topic, feel free to answer. How do you feel about the hippie movement of the 60s and the people and culture it left behind? I’m very envious of you growing up in a culture like that, yet it seems like Americans don’t talk about it much nowadays, or at least not in a positive light (e.g. hating baby boomers). I’d really like to go back to that time.
Funnily enough, we had a sizable hippie movement in USSR inspired by yours, and there are still remnants of it here represented by our boomers.

Attached: 3D21C06D-0201-41E4-B16B-8076FB455B8A.jpg (300x300, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VEligJuZjJY
youtu.be/VlIExbHPWtw
youtu.be/8i-4HbMvEFY
youtu.be/hnP72uUt_pU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

New age movement is a disease that died out but remnants of it still impact our culture today

Are you sure the hippies of the 60s and the trans-leftie-vegans of now are the same thing? I don't think so...

They ruined everything.

>be america
>lose a war against poor rice farmers

>Funnily enough, we had a sizable hippie movement in USSR inspired by yours, and there are still remnants of it here represented by our boomers.
How the fuck was that even possible? Weren't all soviet citizens kept in the dark by the state?

same difference

We had a colorful underground counterculture.
youtube.com/watch?v=VEligJuZjJY

So... Janis Joplin? Jefferson Airplane? Jimmy Hendrix, Grateful Dead? Bob Dylan? Do you not feel like this is a part of your cultural heritage?

That's boomer culture and it'll be forgotten when they die out.

youtu.be/VlIExbHPWtw

This is sad. What is your culture then?

chicano

huh, I guess chicano does apply to zoomer culture

"Boomer" music was still way better than what you have today.

Obesity, decrepit abandoned strip malls, a prescription medication crisis, government surveillance, etc.

They were never completely isolated from Western culture and there were always elements of it that seeped in, for example in the 50s they had a version of James Dean greaser culture and there was a Soviet jazz scene and rock bands (later on a punk and metal scene).

so maybe boomer culture is something to look up to

That's comfy as fuck. Man i love the old camera filter. Thank you Rusbro

>ThEy DoNt MaKE goOd MuSiC aNyMorE

Loosen the headband on your fedora. It's cutting off the blood circulation to your brain.

Glad to hear that, serbbro

Boomer culture is preferable to ours

rate my taste
youtu.be/8i-4HbMvEFY

This but uronically

holy shit the hippy movement ruined this country. people like to say it was the immigrants, but it was the hippies who let them in

there's plenty of good music you just need to know where to look you dunderhead

Good music is being made, it's just.. not getting popular. The average person has dumbed down, the average taste has gone down, that's undeniable. The complexity of the music alone, the instruments used, it's all down man

Somebody make a Chad hippie vs. Virgin SJW picture

You mean Denmark or USA? I'm not aware of hippies leaving a significant mark in the politics of any country.

I think there it is not the quality of music that decreased but the quantity that increased. It is much easier to make music by yourself and get popular but it is also hard to find the good music under the larger pile of bullshit

I WANNA HOLD YOUR HAND

I WANNA BE YOUR DOG

ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOOOOIISSEE POLLUUTTIOONNN

Nah.

stiffy go the iffy uh

As an US counterculture it was great, movies and music too. Then there was also cults, shitty new age and idiots.

I grew up in 2000's french middle class and there was still people in high school which were hippie larpers, psychedelic rock fans and obsessed by this subculture, 60's 70's "golden age". We didn't listen much electronic music, Other rock fans were into metal and gothic genres.

Also in France the hippie era was linked with the protests of may 68, most of our left politicians or liberalist thinkers are ex hippies, and they are still pushing the era into legend.
Many conservatives believe 68 is when the country fucked up.

I tied LSD a few years after, and still thinks this experience had a big influence and is still a comprehension key of the movement. It may be the why they were attracted by India and Buddhism. Some hippie clichés come true during 6 hours, it may be true forever, maybe not.

I wish I had the chance to fuck Janis Joplin.

>most of Sweden's political class is composed of 50-60 yo farts
>boomers didn't affect them.

My gf is unironically a 150cm reincarnation of Janis Joplin, and is the reason I became enamoured with hippie culture

The concept of a 'dirty hippie' was created by Richard Nixon to smear antiwar protesters and drive a wedge between young people and other conscientious objectors like Quakers. That's also why drug use was turned from a public health issue into a criminal one.
The same thing is happening today, ironically enough from boomers toward millennials.

Call it if you will a reaction by the youth population against the regimented statism of the mid-20th century, because my grandparents' generation had been shaped by war and thought the world had to be run like the Army. So the boomers said nah fuck that, we want to have a good time.

>Then there was also cults, shitty new age and idiots.
Unfortunately as Charles Manson proved, there are always a few lunatics out there willing to take advantage of something for their own sick purposes.

the hippy movement was stronger in scandinavia than america

Jelly tbqh. Janis was adorable.

Attached: janis_lgb_still5-adjusted.jpg (1200x745, 157K)

Hippies are literally the worst thing ever
Anytime I was taking a history class growing up and it got to the 60s, kids in my class would always get so pissed off at the faggots that we had to learn about and watch

Yeh the 70s was when nudist culture was really big in Germany and Scandinavia.

boomers still run around naked on some beaches, and then helicopter parents rant on facebook about their children being exposed to perverts

Attached: yWRigl6B_400x400.jpg (400x400, 21K)

>go on beaches in Europe where there's 70 year old Germans tanning nude

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (610x364, 45K)

Old people do that here

Attached: 7[1].png (797x1140, 145K)

Insecure gay boys afraid to show their dingaling aren’t exactly role models

ah-hem
youtu.be/hnP72uUt_pU
based

groovy old men

america was born in the 60s and died in the 60s
may it rest in peace

nudity and sex being taboo is a really bad meme

based old farts
this

I want to hear the Glenn Miller Orchestra and see how the cops beat up hippies!

Attached: OpaSims.jpg (590x441, 37K)

I've been a debauched, pot-smoking listener of guitar solos and figerpickin' goodness for many years. Lately, embittered by the mess I've made out of my life, I've been digging the Dead's breakthrough single 'Touch of Grey' cause it's so washed out, world-weary and cynical that it just speaks to me, myan. Also, it's not country. Thanks for listening.