What do people in your country think of british literature?

what do people in your country think of british literature?

Attached: lotr.jpg (1703x2560, 834K)

i'm currently reading the history of lord of the rings books
very comfy

Attached: 0b4ddd7.png (322x345, 156K)

When i was younger every single girl in my class loved Harry Potter

Personally? Love Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton.
But most Amerimutts doen't read books.

I've been fascinated by it since childhood. Now I'm reading "Surprised by Joy" by C.S. Lewis.

Attached: P_20190206_231742.jpg (4608x2592, 3.64M)

based

it's for kids or manchild

tell me more

Shakespeare and Tolkien is rather good. But i do actually prefer French and German literature.

reading is so fuckin boring dont know how u nerds do it

I used to think the same when I was addicted to instant gratification type entertainment. I had to wean myself off shit like anime to come to appreciate it

i'm a grown man so fantastic and magician stories aren't that appealing, read french or russian litterature instead if you want to be enlighted and not just entertained.

>Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - C.S. Lewis
You aren't wrong, some are children's books, and there's nothing wrong with reading books for children.

The best British author is actually a Russian called Joseph. And this tranny who called itself George.

I've read a fair amount of French and Russian lit but I wouldn't consider it more enlightening than books from anywhere else

anyway I think the idea of reading fiction should be for fun, I read non-fiction when I want to learn things

We only know

Perv Priest
Jane Austin
Greek Fanboy
Greek Fanboy's friend
Greek Fanboy's friend #2
Greek Fanboy's friend's wife
Gayboy

Ive read all of them, Roald Dahl, the 7 pence coin

Dahl is based

here's a poem for you
poo poo bum
willy willy bum
poo on my bum
willy bum bum

dangerously redpilled

It is good, but I think that Britons put too much emphasis on Shakespeare (who was trash) and overlook many other works. Same with Spain and Cervantes.

>It is good, but I think that Britons put too much emphasis on Shakespeare (who was trash)
How is he trash, exactly?

Do you have the 13 volumes of The History of Middle Earth?

i guess its because there is no value reading shakespear when you have classic greek dramas.

I prefer Shakespeare because it's not a translation for me

You mean Joseph Conrad? He was a Polish Tatar

the most based poster on this board

Amateur.

Have you read The Silmarillion? If not i recommend it.

no, but i'll buy them all one day

Nobody in this country even knows it's own literature.

Ask the average person to name 10 English authors and they'd get to Shakespeare, Dickens, Bronte and then stop short.

I did it when I was a kid. I want to read it again, but in english. I've been looking for a nice hardcover edition, with an illustration by Howe or Alan Lee. But I haven't found anything.

Attached: P_20181029_064829_1.jpg (2592x3865, 1.68M)

Utterly based.

Where have you been looking? There's an art book by John Howe sold that's really good, its called A Middle-earth Traveller: Sketches from Bag End to Mordor.

You're a top lad, i hope you find what you're looking for.

>There's an art book by John Howe sold that's really good
I received it two days ago.

Attached: P_20190211_021145_1.jpg (3608x2706, 2.56M)

tolkien was a hack that stole everything from icelandic mythology

And Kalevala :^)

In Japan, Sherlock Holmes and the Lord of the Rings are popular.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Gulliver's Travels and A Christmas Carol are popular for children.

It's OK. Indian literature is better. Tolkien is good because of Kalevala. Goethe did a better Faust than Marlowe.

You should read Indian literature. The Bhagavad Gita is a good start. You can get one from your local Hare Krishnas.

>best British writers were a Jap and a Pole

Unironically good books tho.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (182x277, 7K)

And Harry Potter too

Idiot.

We are more into American in schools and have a Mark Twain monument

Personally I like Victorian classics/poets and some modern writers (A.S. Byatt, Ian McEwan etc)