How difficult is it to learn Swedish? Norwegian?

How difficult is it to learn Swedish? Norwegian?

Attached: grandoisa.jpg (300x168, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4OAuZBHxZag
youtube.com/watch?v=pIc6e4PBsPk&t=5s&list=LL3xbY0w9HrbLyHgVy2HLBZw&index=4
youtube.com/watch?v=5hxF-Z7ayaY&index=2&list=LL3xbY0w9HrbLyHgVy2HLBZw
youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c
youtu.be/i17_UPl30k8
youtube.com/watch?v=cENbkHS3mnY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shouldn't be too hard.

it's impossible because they are too autistic to help and when they sense one slight accent they switch to english. You might as well learn a useful language.

I have to take a foreign language course, it's between those two languages but I can't decide which. I think Swedish might be more enjoyable

They are both dialects of each other so equally the same level of difficulty, but both swedish and norwegian are about as hard as learning spanish or french so brainlet level of difficulty

norwegian is much easier than swedish and both are like adding numbers while spanish and french are multiplication

dumbass just pretend you dont speak english, that's what i did when I went to germany

i don't know i've never tried

>They are both dialects of each other
What? Is that true?>

in what way is norwegian easier? and in what way is spanish harder than norwegian?

choose norwegian because with this dialect you will be able to understand swedish and danish more than if you just learn danish or swedish. also reading norwegian you will be able to read danish no problem

>bunch of Americans discussing Norwegian/Swedish
It's all so tiresome, just leave us alone

both languages are easy to learn for native english speakers.
i think only dutch and afrikaans are easier to learn for people with english as their mother tongue

You should learn Spanish instead, those primitive languages are going to be eliminated from human knowledge sooner or later.

no one likes you or your misreable little existense you should feel happy a random big strong cock american even cares about you or your language now clean my house peasant and bring a cheese slicer i seem to have misplaced mine

You should learn norn. It's by far the most usefull variant of scandinavian

I took 4 years of Spanish in high school, if I wanted to Spanish again I would have to take advanced Spanish which I really do not want to do.

yes but because they each have a country they pretend their dialect is a real langauge

>Given the aforementioned homogeneity, there exists some discussion on whether the continental group should be considered one or several languages.[25] The Scandinavian languages (in the narrow sense, i.e. the languages of Scandinavia) are often cited as proof of the aphorism "A language is a dialect with an army and navy". The differences in dialects within the countries of Norway, Sweden, and Denmark can often be greater than the differences across the borders, but the political independence of these countries leads continental Scandinavian to be classified into Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish in the popular mind as well as among most linguists. The generally agreed upon language border is, in other words, politically shaped. This is also because of the strong influence of the standard languages, particularly in Denmark and Sweden

Scandinavians have no trouble traveling to each others countries and communicating with each other. this is unheard of in actual different langauges

Why so rude? That's not how you learn Norwegian. You need to be friendly 24/7.

>now clean my house peasant
Just use Mexicans or polacks, they cost less.

the absolute horror to my ears, a yank speaking swedish.
for fuck sakes, our languages are related yet arabs speak swedish way better.

based muhammad

a swede wanting that arab cock, never change sweden never change

just kidding yeah we sound like shit speaking german too

youtube.com/watch?v=4OAuZBHxZag

norwegians understand swedes and danes easyer than the other way, if that matters?

sadly true. but we are used to talk with foreigners on english all the time, its almost the primary language on some worksites.

you have never heard a d*ne speak

Can someone double blind test me if I really can spot the difference of norwegian and swedish girls?

holy fucking shit

Attached: 1520271141064.jpg (659x535, 64K)

Incredibly easy, both are very close to English since they're both Germanic languages and have similar words.
Getting the accent is probably the hardest part, you just need to listen to alot of the natives speaking the language to really pick it up.

Ahhhhhhh

I understand 0, none, null?, nada of spoken Danish.

Attached: 65578_binary_484192_full_article.jpg (1024x512, 335K)

Attached: Sara_Tunlid-675x800.jpg (675x800, 64K)

>le potato in le mouth meme

nice try fag ,everyone loves to exagerate the differences in dialects to make themselves feele special, it's like me complaining about a man with heavy louisiana accent sure Im not going to get every word but the hick is still speaking my langauge

Like ive once said no other "languages" is it possible to hire actors from different countries , and have them speak their own """language"" to each other with no problem

proof

youtube.com/watch?v=pIc6e4PBsPk&t=5s&list=LL3xbY0w9HrbLyHgVy2HLBZw&index=4

vid of danish and norwegians speaking their own langauge and able to communicate just fine .

If I had to guess, this is the Swede because she is orange

Can't you choose a useful language? These 2 are about as useful as modern day Gaelic or Welsh

Attached: 15102305353.jpg (637x650, 54K)

the mutual intelligibility is more or less a swedish and norwegian thing. danish has for some reason devolved into some sort of crypto dutch-german crap

I have to wait for the norwegian to answer

The only other classes I'm interested in are German, Japanese, or Mandarin. But they all have awful class times, and Mandarin involves literally going to another fucking campus

see

and again youre lying mate

proof:

swedish women in norwegian film speaking swedish to a norwegian and both doing just fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=5hxF-Z7ayaY&index=2&list=LL3xbY0w9HrbLyHgVy2HLBZw

trick question,both swedish

swedish or norwegian?

Attached: 11986535_908841149190114_7999514321447804881_n.jpg (613x960, 64K)

Fuck off fat retard

Attached: 7dca4657-620b-4123-990e-9a0e544ec33c.jpg (685x457, 32K)

I understand Norwegian, I even met one earlier last month, but Danish is a whole other coin, I just don't understand.

Sami

Since the Norwegian havent made a reply, first one is Norwegian, second one Swedish.

swedish is mostly easy to understand, except for some dialects in southern sweden. danish is a lot harder, but if you listen very closely you will understand 50% of it

I feel you man I cant understand this , dialect

youtube.com/watch?v=le_uNGdpa4c

but they are still speaking english

I can't understand Danes and no meme videos are gonna change it
>You do understand it, you just don't know it yourself
Christ, there's a reason Americans are so widely hated on int, that's just retarded

>this is a 9/10 in mexico

We are the rich fags here. We don't clean houses, we have americans to do those jobs for us.

This but worse, and their Anglo loan words.
>Det blir wicked party på weekenden, mand!

>Like ive once said no other "languages" is it possible to hire actors from different countries , and have them speak their own """language"" to each other with no problem
This isn't true. Most Swedes and Norwegians have some problems with Danish, but we can overcome them with a fair bit effort.

Danish is a bit like this to us, but it's not nearly as charming as Scottish.

STOP PICKING ON HER. at least she is fluent

You can't ignore that you'd have a much easier time getting used to writing Danish opposed to Swedish. I can't even into how to bend "är".

difficult, but Swedish

Inexusable offence, but I was led astray by your flag

>Af alt bestik jeg har, er der ingen lille ske

Pretty easy, I have never practised Norwegian my entire life, and yet I am fluent!

nice way to discredit actual proof you fraud, you just dont want anybody to know your speaking a dialect of danish.

Like i said I cant understand some english dialects like thisbut they are still english

Where are you studying where Norwegian and Swedish are both available options for a language credit?

hey north mexican, keep your opinions to yourself!

Kek

>but they are still english
are they really though?
its like pissing in a bowl and calling it soup

I can order a beer, but when checking into a hotel they switched to English. Actually had a easier time with my non-existant German in Austria

Attached: cat_gun.jpg (720x726, 23K)

>This isn't true. Most Swedes and Norwegians have some problems with Danish, but we can overcome them with a fair bit effort.

>we can overcome them

how ? I doubt any swede traveling to denmark is going to pay to take proper danish classes mate.

pretty much good rule of thumb is if you dont need to take a class in a language to understand it , it isnt a language but a dialect.

If i were to move to scotland after a while i will get use to knowing what they are saying without having to study their dialect

Nice conspiracy theory bro

>You can't ignore that you'd have a much easier time getting used to writing Danish opposed to Swedish. I can't even into how to bend "är".
Of course. You wrote Danish for centuries, whereas we've developed our writing independently. If anything, we influenced Danish (and subsequently Norwegian) orthography.

>I can't even into how to bend "är".
There aren't any cases for är anymore. You might say äro if it's plural (e.g. bockarna bruse äro tre) AND if you want a poetic or old-timey color to it. Dialects will do their own thing, but that's what they do.

Hard to imagine this is what Danish could have turn out to be instead of the mess it is today
youtu.be/i17_UPl30k8

A big public university in NYC. They actually only offer Swedish, but there is a Norwegian course available at another campus that I am allowed to take, since my Uni is a part of the larger system.

We can overcome it if they speak very, very slowly. Not to mention we constantly encounter words we don't understand at all so you have to know their meaning beforehand.

>but they are still english
That's Scots, actually.

nice argument fraud

weird flex but ok

>how ?
using english when its needed helps. thats at least how me and my friend solved the problem when we were at his family's summer house and had visitors from denmark

Learned it when i was a child, so id say pretty easy.

so this is the power of scandi humor huh

that isnt scots thats scottish english

yeah i can say the same about scottish english when i was there, they also have their own unique words for things as well

That's really cool. I'm a 38 year old boomer and our selection of languages was pretty basic. My uni taught Japanese and Mandarin but I don't think Russian and Arabic were even available there.

>how ? I doubt any swede traveling to denmark is going to pay to take proper danish classes mate.
With great effort. You need to listen carefully and they ideally don't speak so quickly. Some people have more trouble with this than others.

Also, some people do take Danish classes if they intend to work there or something. Not to speak or write it (that's far too unpleasant), but to at least understand it.

>pretty much good rule of thumb is if you dont need to take a class in a language to understand it , it isnt a language but a dialect.
I don't believe this is how linguists do it. Anyway, there is a lot of philological study into our languages and their history that you're just discounting.

What did you end up taking?

this is scots

youtube.com/watch?v=cENbkHS3mnY

Don't learn Norwegian if you can't easily roll your R's.

Oh, I was thinking more in the direction of "att vara, är, var, har varit". How do you differentiate "a car" and "one car"?

I did not mean trigger a huge argument between Scandis with this thread, but I guess I should have expected that

Japanese. Yeah I was a weeb in those days. Fun language anyway, though.

>I don't believe this is how linguists do it. Anyway, there is a lot of philological study into our languages and their history that you're just discounting.

but all philogical studies point that your dialects derive from the same source

And linguists actually only use the criteria of mutual intelligibility to determine between langauge or dialect, it isnt perfect but its all they use

This. My friend's mom used to work with Danes down in Copenhagen and she had to take classes.

Except all the words are different just not some. What I meant are words that are so different you have no idea what it means. I recently learned what sjovt and drenge for example means after seeing Danes use it a lot. Sure, it's similar but not the same like you claim.
For example, "not" in different languages
>Swedish
Inte
>Norwegian
ikkje
>Danish
Ikke
>Faroese
Ikki
>Icelandic
Ekki

My uni teaches everything except the language I want. Shit sucks.

Well you did start making a bunch of outragous claims and try to be condescending. Honestly, what did you expect?

Amerimutts are not allowed to learn scandi.

>Oh, I was thinking more in the direction of "att vara, är, var, har varit"
Right, I guess you meant to ask about "att vara". I think it's virtually the same in both languages. Might be some differences depending on dialect.

> How do you differentiate "a car" and "one car"?
I don't believe we do it in writing, but spoken we do it the same as you do, more or less. Short vowel vs long vowel.

What outrageous claim did I make?

>Except all the words are different just not some

there's a difference between writing them differently and pronouncing them differencing,

is the sound of ikkke and ikke really so different for you? no it isnt

just think of what you told me , all you need to do to understand danish to have them speak slow, this isnt possible in actual languages m8

>now clean my house peasant
are you sure? they are very expensive

this desu. tell them to learn Spanish instead

Formally its actually "icke" here.

Which one?

Depends on how you define difficult. Learning language in general is tedious and at times really boring, and unless you have some use for the language socially or professionally, it's hard to learn one, even a joke language grammatically and phonetically like Norwegian.

>inte
In Sweden, we say "icke" and "inte", depending on which type of negation you want. Icke is much more common than you might think.

Also, we do say different things depending on dialects as you do. I know many say "itte" like you would in Östfold or something.

But it's so fucking easy for us.

Ignore the burger claiming our languages are dialects. He's defiant as all fuck and reasoning with him is like talking to a brick wall. Just ignore him.

Not "formally", but it's used as a negating prefix which makes it seem more formal I guess. It's kind of semi-archaic too, if you don't use it as a negating prefix.