Ok, if you think you're good at English answer this:

Ok, if you think you're good at English answer this:

>Unfortunately, the person (who, whom) Luke believed (was, to be) a member of the Imperial Senate proved to be his sister.

Attached: soyboy_apex_legens.png (1058x1058, 419K)

the who/Whom distinction is archaic and no one really cares any more

It's still used in more formal contexts

Unfortunately, the person who Luke believed to be a member of the Imperial Senate proved to be his sister.

>whomst've
>wasn'tve

My 2004 grammar book says differently?

if you say
>Unfortunately, the person who Luke believed was a member of the Imperial Senate proved to be his sister.
its more natural and like a conversation you would have with a friend IRL.
if you say
>Unfortunately, the person whom Luke believed to be a member of the Imperial Senate proved to be his sister.
its sounds more professional and probably is the grammatically correct version. nobody cares either way tho so you can just say whatever sounds good, thats the cool thing with english we got so many damn words you can just mix and match and sound fancy.

It's proper grammar but almost no one understands the rule and you won't get castigated for breaking it.

whom to be

you sound like a pretentious idiot. don't talk like this.

*Use the subjective case of the relative pronoun “who/ whom” as the subject of a verb or after a finite form of the verb “to be”; use the objective case of the relative pronoun “who/whom” as the object of a verb, the indirect object of a verb, the subject of an infinitive, the object of an infinitive, or the object of a preposition.*

The correct answer is “who”: it’s the subject of the verb
“was” (not, incidentally, the object of the verb “believed”).

lol shut up nerd

Nobody uses whom anymore. And the second one is "to be"

A native speaker >>>>>> any grammar book

There's no such thing as proper grammar.
I don't understand why krauts on here get so obsessed over correcting us when we're using our language, than he pulls out a book that he used to learn english to "prove" us wrong

>German zoomer making Jow Forums do his English homework

autist, youre missing the point.

what we are saying is sure one of them is more correct, but nobody cares and you can say whatever you want. both options are socially correct. there is more than one correct answer.

maybe back in 1880 there was an wrong way to say it but english has changed you fat fuckin german retard big

I don't trust fake English with my grammar.

when you master english, english-native people will laugh at you. learn to talk slang like a local and people will tell you that you have good english.

if you still disagree why are you still posting here?

Unfortunately, the person whom Luke believed were a member of the Imperial Senate proved to be his sister.

Btw I was trained at an English public school in Surrey, A* in English GCSE

hahaha no no no no please. you have no idea how silly you will look. trust me no body will be impressed.

whom
to be

No theyll judge his class. The better his diction and grammer, the more theyll think highly of him. Just look at William Hague, Jacob Reese Mog et al.

UK is class based and people can tell by the way you speak

It's only archaic if you're retarded. He/him who/whom was that so fucking hard?

The only instances where i found whom are in Dickens books and generally works dating back to the previous centuries. Modern speakers don't really make a distinction between the two.
The second part should be only ending with an infinitive clause (to be) as it is a noun phrase but i can't remember whether using was is also acceptable or not.

people within a small group of elitist snobs that sniff their own arse will think more equally of you. if you don't learn to adjust your diction contextually, you are doomed to be ostracised by others and keep shit company.

>who
>to be

According to linguistic academic cucks there is no correct English, just more and less socially acceptable form. Therefore even abominations like ebonics may be considered English in all respects.

Yes, ebonics is considered correct Black American english, but is different from standard english
Just like Italian and Spanish are both correct in their own way, but different

whom and to be
or
who and was

the fuck you be callin my language an abozinazzion white boi?

You can't truly learn English until you learn the Anglo art of half-assing things. You have too much Ordnung.

>needing help with your homework
You can tell your teacher directly from a native English speaker that we don't give a shit whether it's who or whom.