/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Sumpf-Swedish
>What language should I learn?
Platt-Swedish

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: kattströ.png (1080x810, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key#US-International
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key#Common_compose_combinations
vshare.eu/640yi7nnrfae.htm
svenskaspraket.si.se/skandinaviska-for-nyborjare/
languagejam.net/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Been away for reasons. Thanks for looking after /lang/ for me.

Attached: Peepolove4.png (112x87, 25K)

I got a call back from the interviewer. Once I finish my background check, I can start the internship

I can't wait to be a normie

I got an offer letter today as well; I just have to finish filling out my background check. I should start Monday.

Post "Long cat is long." as best hou can in the languages you are learning.

notice me

>Det här är en docka.
Correcto.

>Idag är het.
Det är varmt idag. We use het/hett too for things, but I never hear it in the context of temperature.

>Jag älskar kall natter.
kalla*
You could replace 'älskar' with 'gillar' here, since enjoying something doesn't necessarily equate to loving it.

>Jag tyker om Australisk kultur.
tycker*, and lowercase australisk (remember nationalities are not capitalized in Swedish) and you're good to go.

>Summoning Sven
I am finally here.

Attached: PeepoTeacher.png (120x120, 15K)

>notice me
I did before even making this new thread, don't worry.

Attached: PeepoCheer.png (112x112, 9K)

Based noticer and correcter

>het/hett
So is it used for hot things, like food? Examples tack
>gillar
New word learned
I forgot that you don't capitalize nationalities. Old habits die hard.
>I am finally here
yay

>no Umlaut
Pro-tip for all learners of German and Germans themselves who don't want to play piano while programming due to the AWFUL German keyboard layout:

If you enable the "en-us-international" keyboard layout, you can write Umlaute super easily:
ä=AltGr+q
Ä=AltGr+Q
ö=AltGr+p
Ö=AltGr+P
ü=AltGr+y
Ü=AltGr+Y
ß=AltGr+s
There's no uppercase Eszett, unfortunately...
Q, P and Y are being used here, because A, O and U are already used for á, ó and ú (fuck you) and Q, P and Y are physically right next to them on a QWERTY keyboard.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key#US-International

"en-us-international with dead-keys" is a better layout, because your quotation-mark key and some others become modifier keys (dead keys):
ä="+a
Ä="+A
ö="+o
Ö="+O
ü="+u
Ü="+U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#US-International

And then there's also the compose key, where you can combine tons of letters (doesn't work with dead keys):
ß=compose+s+s
ẞ=compose+S+S
ä=compose+"+a
Ä=compose+"+A
ö=compose+"+o
Ö=compose+"+O
ü=compose+"+u
Ü=compose+"+U
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compose_key#Common_compose_combinations

Attached: 1280px-KB_US-International.svg.png (1280x427, 72K)

very nice, but why do germans say "dies sind meine freunde" and not "diese sind meine freunde" is the latter incorrect ? i thought diese could be used as a plural demonstratives

the former is the correct one. the latter sounds very weird without a following noun
>diese Leute sind meine freunde
>diese Menschen sind meine Freunde
>diese Tiere sind meine Freunde
>diese Schusswaffen sind meine einzigen Freunde und ich werde sie bald verwenden

should i learn danish?

NEIN

Attached: lexical-distance-among-the-languages-of-europe-2-1-mid-size.png (1853x1642, 1.06M)

hmm I see

¿Es feliz el gato largo que es largo?

you should follow your heart

Attached: bb.png (569x486, 101K)

"yes"

长猫很长

IO IMPARERÒ ITALIANO

Dude i've been fucking shilling for german for a month now but I guess I will again in case you didnt get the memo

German is the master race of the germanic lanuages why? because of it's grammar, it's orthographie, it's relation to other german tongues, and ironically because of it's difficulty

if you learn German and become fluent you will be able to learn every other germanic languages in incredible speed. Danish you ask? you can learn this halbinseldeutsch of a language in 3 months after becoming fluent in german , are you interested also in Dutch aka sumpf deutsch dialect? Hell you can learn this also in 3 months . Ive done it already

so no dont learn danish learn german

Attached: deutsch mind =blown.jpg (484x750, 45K)

>So is it used for hot things, like food?
I think it's more so that English uses hot to mean "very warm" as well as "hot" (and a synonym to "sexy"), whereas we just say something's warm. Varm and het are synonyms for these instances really, but the default native choice is almost always varm. When it comes to food, spicy/hot food is usually just called "stark mat" ("strong food") because of the intense flavour that spices and chilies create.

>Examples tack
Det är en varm dag = It's a hot day
Spisen är varm = The stove is hot
Den är glödhet = It is super hot
Elden brinner het = The fire burns hot
Varmluftballong = Hot air balloon
Maten har en angenäm hetta = The food has a pleasant heat [to it]
Min panna är varm, jag tror jag har feber = My forehead is hot, I think I have the fever.
Det är det hetaste modet = It's the hottest fashion
Det är så varmt och hett = It's so warm and hot

>New word learned
Based learner of new words.

Attached: thonks.png (112x112, 17K)

See Do it if you want it. We can't make the decision for you, that is yours and yours alone.

(or learn Swedish :^))

Attached: PeepoEvil.png (112x112, 18K)

Based example giver
>Swedish
This is a good idea.

Honestly I wouldnt mind swedish, my linguistics professor told me swedish and danish are just dialects of each other so learning one is like practically like learning the other but danish just have a different counting system is this true?

Please learn the difference between its and it's.

Wir sind auf Jow Forums grammatik ist doch egal (ausser language challenges)

it's've

Im watching who am I after a german user so nicely recommended it. I cant help but see the similarites in style with this and fight club , did the director do this on purpose?

I've never heard of that movie. Do you have a clip of it?

how is portuguese closer to french and italian than spanish lexically?

reposting my challenge answers
Easy
>This is a doll
Questa è una bambola.
>It is hot today
Oggi fa caldo.
>I enjoy the cold nights
Mi piaciono le notte fredde.

Medium
>I like Australian culture
Mi piace cultura Australiana.
>Where have you been in the world?
Dove sei stato nel mondo?
>Why is it so hot?
Perchè fa così caldo?

Hard
>It feels like a desert outside the cooled rooms
Sta come un deserto fuori delle stanze (what's the word for cooled here?).
>I wish I was freezing to death right now
Desidero che sono gelo alla morte subito.
>Hopefully it rains sometime this week
Si spera che pioverà (sometime) questa settimana.

nigga i got the whole movie, get comfy

vshare.eu/640yi7nnrfae.htm

Based. I'll give this a watch when I have time.

lo puoi fare, amico mio!

Attached: 1535514958610.jpg (413x459, 55K)

I am learning French currently and I need help with present -ir and -re verb conjugations and imparfait verb conjugations (the latter excepting etre, which I understand)

C'est une marionette
Les temps sont chauds
J'aime les nuits froides

J'aime culture Australienne
Ou vous etes alle dans la monde?
Pourquoi est les temps chauds?

I can't do the rest

>Skandinaviska för nybörjare
>De flesta som bor i Skandinavien förstår varandra över landgränserna. Svenska, norska och danska har nämligen ett gemensamt ursprung, och är så lika att vissa språkvetare ser dem som dialekter av samma språk.

translation

>Most people who live in Scandinavia understand each other across land borders. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish have a common origin, and are so similar that some linguists see them as dialects of the same language.
I just found proof evena scandinavian admitting their "languages" are considered dialects by the the experts

How will sven ever recover?

are you stupid? look again

svenskaspraket.si.se/skandinaviska-for-nyborjare/

link

ich werde davon halt hart getriggert, wenn Leute, insbesondere Amerikaner, ihre eigene Muttersprache nicht beherrschen und ich dann diesen Durchfall lesen muss... JEDEN VERFICKTEN TAG

How is Lexical Distance calculated?

make a reverse image search, find the reddit thread where it was posted first (there are a lot of reposts, but the author often finds those and replies) and read how it's calculated... I think it was posted on Jow Forumsetymologymaps or Jow Forumseurope
>inb4 >reddit

Stupid chart.

English is closer to French than German.

Attached: 1549499709893.jpg (997x934, 208K)

The chart is a bullshit lie.

WE WILL BECOME NORMIES AND GET JOBS AND GFS

I'm so excited, I'll be able to stop using language learning as a way to stop my depression and start becoming a functional member of society

Only if you look at total vocabulary and not at vocab frequency. Of the 100 most used words in English all are Germanic. (I, you, he, she, it, that, then, there, what, who, or, and etc. are all Germanic)

A language is a dialect with an army, so who cares.

That stupid meme.
What is like quoi of French and que of Spanish.

You don't even know about Gaulish/Celtic influences on English.

>longcat is long
طولانیگربه طولانی است
>long cat is long
گربه طولانی طولانی است

>What is like quoi of French and que of Spanish.
What's your point?
"What" is a Germanic word derived from Germanic languages, that's not debatable. You can look it up in a dictionary if you want.

It is debatable.

Fucking Nazi!

Learn some damn Latin!

Attached: 1494787262546.png (2000x1800, 806K)

бaмп

Attached: 1479811133918.jpg (391x604, 39K)

what's to be, will be

Ο μαkρή γάτα είναι μαkρή.

Are there even any Greek posters on this board?

Also, fuck, was supposed to be "Η μαkρή...".

>Are there even any Greek posters on this board?
Yes. None in /lang/ though.

>μαkρή
**μαkριά

And there we have one. Absolutely based.

Attached: PeepoCheer2.png (112x112, 19K)

I did my Duolingo

Attached: Untitled.png (848x692, 32K)

Μπέισντ.

based owl fanatic

Everytime I try to use Duolingo I get bored with how slow it is. I once kept up a seven day streak of about 3 lessons minimum and it was still asking how to say "I am" or "He drinks".

The page before seven is allegedly page six.

slow and steady wins the drinking race

today is wednesday, meeting day.

Hi lads, i hear that learning some language is easier/better with using schoolbook for native speakers?
What can you say?

that will definitely help. Though I would also use a basic language learning textbook along with the native schoolbooks.

>You like languages, you like the mysterious but quite honestly, you can't just add another language to your daily schedule and you wouldn't know which one to begin with?
Why not let me choose a language for you to study for one weekend?

languagejam.net/index.html

For any of us a bit bored with their current language or those searching for a new one.

>notte
*notti, plural
>piace cultura
You forgot the article, "la cultura"
>Sta come un deserto
Either "Si sta come in un deserto" or "Sembra un deserto"
>fuori delle
Fuori dalle
>cooled
Rinfrescate
>I wish I was freezing to death right now
Vorrei morire di freddo in questo momento
>(sometime)
Prima o poi
Buona fortuna con l'italiano

>Australiana
Forgot to mention: nationality adjectives use lowercase letters.
When it comes to nouns, the plural can employ the uppercase, but that's usually reserved for ancient people, especially to distinguish them from their modern counterparts: "i Romani" vs "i romani".

>muttersprache

Nicht meine

Any recommendations for a Polish audio course?

>page 7

Warum denn nicht einfach "Das sind meine Freunde"
"Dies(e)" in dem Kontext gibt's in informeller Sprache nur sehr selten

BASED

>gf is finnish
>keeps telling me i should learn it
>Every time I try speaking some she just laughs and corrects me in a really patronising manner

Non anglos don't understand the pain and shame of learning another language

Attached: sadboy.png (314x363, 13K)

help me out anons

my dad told me the story about how he got a degree in translation cause he took some test translating stuff and if you passed you got a degree, no need for enrolling or studying for years or whatev

this was like 30 years ago BUT recently some italian user told me something similar that apparently is still going on?

I cant find anything on the net tho. Am I too stupid for the internet or did I dream it

>she just laughs and corrects me
Hot.

and its supposed to be offered by universities??

be quiet, mutt

We can't all be purebred like you, Ahmed.

>page 8

>page 7

So sleepy but still must go to meeting

Caffeine, my fren.
t. pro non-sleeper

I want to convince people I'm a vampire. No memeing, where do I start with learning Latin?

Learn based Romanian instead

>Latin

Yeah if you want people to think you are a paedo. Akkadian is the language of vampires.

No you guys, it's gotta be latin. Dead language and all. I'm trying to be on that "I'm hundreds of years old ama" type shit

You know there are other language than Latin that are old and dead, right? And Latin is older than your "hundreds of years", so why not pick a language that would correspond with your fake vampire age? Besides, why would a vampire speak Latin?

Some how nodicks aka nordics cant grasp this concept

You might be able to convince them you're a tard

Should I convince my gf to become an italki teacher ,she hates her job and attractive women sometimes make well over 30 dollars an hour on that italki site , she's already a german teacher but I cant help but think im pimping her out for other guys to check her out on cam. I mean im not making any money from it so maybe not

With Akkadian you get to say you are thousands of years old (4500!) and you get call anyone who doubts you an antisemite.

BTFO

If no one else will make a challenge I can.

Ez
>I am eating bread.
>What did you do at the hotel?
>I love books a lot.

Medium
>Jow Forums is thw ultimate safe space.
>If you don't give me enough time I'm going to explode!
>This shit doesn't make any sense.
>I will get enough of you when you're done with this challenge.

Hard
>According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that I can make an original prompt that isn't based off a dead meme.
>Calculus can get hard and complicated, I just wish it was easier.
>The pale anteater summons great demons from hell that tear apart the world like a piece of paper.
>If I were you I would solve all the world's problems, exhaust all possibilities of them coming back, and let them come back anyway.

If this challenge is too retarded or something feel free to make your own challenge.

I'm going to try polish on duolingo

Attached: 6bb32eaebfdd1e90d45f504da78ddaa4.jpg (236x190, 9K)

Alright, well because 1. it's sexy 2. it's in my heritage 3. i already speak spanish and sometimes convince myself i'm learning italian 4. "vatican vampire" just rolls off the tongue, and is also some lvl-20-rogue shit

Akkadian sounds cool, and the fact that you can learn it is pretty dope, but that's way too big of a role for me

Sorry sweetie but vampires speak Serbian