Some anglobro just explained the difference between less and fewer...

Some anglobro just explained the difference between less and fewer. I never think sbout stuff like this when using english, do you have more small grammar quirks that will make me sound sophisticated?

Attached: distain.jpg (1024x923, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/28/grammar-myths-prepositions/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'll give you a spelling one:
>Hoe: farming tool
>Ho: your mother

How is that useful outside translating nigger-music?

What's the diference?

much vs many
farther vs further
Use nominative for linking verbs (example say: "this is he" when someone asks for you on the phone)
correct plural form for uncommon irregular nouns
use latin expressions
that's all i can think of

fewer is for countable nouns
less is for uncountable nouns

Use fewer if you’re referring to people or things in the plural.

fewer students/children/dogs/universities

less time/traffic/money

1. Not many non-Anglophones are aware that "you" is the formal second-person singular pronoun and "thou" is the informal, so if a foreigner knows to refer to his buddies as "thou" instead of "you" they should be pretty impressed at your advanced grasp of our language's intricacies.

2. When I watch foreigners do that English "accent tag" on YouTube, I notice that they're always confused as to what is meant by "How do you address a group of people?" The correct answer (in the U.S. dialect, which is actually closer to Shakespearean English than modern British English) is either "Youse" (Northern AmE) or "Y'all" (Black/Southern AmE).

These should at least be able to give you enough pussy to coast on for a couple of weeks, maybe more if you go to different parts of the U.S.

Attached: gluecklich.jpg (1300x866, 136K)

>1. Not many non-Anglophones are aware that "you" is the formal second-person singular pronoun and "thou" is the informal, so if a foreigner knows to refer to his buddies as "thou" instead of "you" they should be pretty impressed at your advanced grasp of our language's intricacies.
That's in early modern english, not used anymore. Besides it's "ye" not "you" for nominative.
ye is to thou what you is to thee.
Also the correct singular is "thu" from proper old english. In Early modern english ye was used as informal as well, so ye could easily refer to one person in a t-v distinction.
>2. When I watch foreigners do that English "accent tag" on YouTube, I notice that they're always confused as to what is meant by "How do you address a group of people?" The correct answer (in the U.S. dialect, which is actually closer to Shakespearean English than modern British English) is either "Youse" (Northern AmE) or "Y'all" (Black/Southern AmE).
It's you for plural and you for singular. You can add another noun to make it plural, but they're the same word.

Ignore this retarded faggot Everything said is 100% correct

samefag who doesn't know english

everybody just so you know there is currently a misinformed troll in the thread

address now
let's fight.

Ignore this retarded faggot Everything said is 100% correct

>Use nominative for linking verbs
So are "that's me" and "me on the left" wrong?

I mean, everyone says it, but yes, it's wrong.
>haha i'm being stupid ironically
address or gtfo

In English you often have different words that have the same meaning. Usually from different language families. Germanic-origin words are most likely used in informal, everyday conversation. These words are generally considered simplistic, low class. Romance-origin words are more formal and used in professional or intellectual contexts. These words are considered fancy and "superior" to their Germanic equivalents, even if the Germanic words are easier to understand for native English speakers. So, if you want to appear intelligent and cultured you should make use of the Latin derived vocabulary. But if you want to appear down to Earth and humble, stick to mostly Germanic words.

true but it also can change the function, so you can't always follow that rule
example: cow is germanic because all the farmers were english in norman england.
beef is french/latin because all the nobility who could afford it were french in norman england.

Say "I wish I were" instead of "I wish I was" like 99,9% of plebs (even natives) do here.

Study the subjunctive mood.

never end a sentence with a preospition
bad: "what are you using that for?"
good "for what are you using that?"
also learn how to use whom to avoid using prepositions at the end. eg
"with whom did you stay"
rather than
"who did you stay with".
also use x instead of c, like connexion instead of complection, that's some old English shit. Also you can use the ash istead of ae sounds, like æther instead of ether. t. norf whose vocab comes from norse

preposition*
oh also never use "I like X better" it's stupid yank shit that implies you are better at liking something (e.g. 'I verb X better), use "I like X more" or "I prefer X"

>never end a sentence with a preospition

Why not?
In many cases it's actually preferred and avoids awkward sounding sentences.
Even Oxford and Cambridge grammar guides indicate this.

blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011/11/28/grammar-myths-prepositions/

>never end a sentence with a preospition
>bad: "what are you using that for?"
>good "for what are you using that?"
having a preposition at the end is a unique trait that's pretty rare for languages, when you put in the beginning it sounds esl.
>"who did you stay with".
I don't get it, it should be "whom did you stay with".

the preposition thing is more of a meme that is a class marker, it comes from a forcing of bad latin rules into english but still has some usage if you wanna be fancy
with is a preposition

You could also say
"With whom did you stay?"
Could you not?

yeah, but my point is it's whom not who.

'whom did you stay with' is okay but sounds clunkier than 'with whom did you stay' perhaps because of the ending preposition

I read somewhere that native speakers found "whom" to sound too formal but I can't vouch for that. Also, many non-native speakers didn't know how to properly use who/whom so they just reverted to "who" and that made it more common too.

>Youse
the fuck nigger? am i some sort of black and white era new york city goon?

if you take this guy's advice you're going to sound autistic to the average every day english speaker
no one says "for what are you using that?"

maybe, i'd never put with in the beginning, but that's just me.
yeah, most people don't use whom in most contexts.

If you want to sound specially British say
"in hospital"

idk maybe it's different across the pond
what else would one say?
oh yeah, you can use one as a generic pronoun

I genuinely do not believe "for what are you using that" is commonplace in the UK, I would have surely heard it at some point and thought it was bizarre

This is where prescription says something, but the rules internalized by the speakers say another.

I think the current usage is something like "use I/he/she/they if it's the beginning of the subject; otherwise use me/him/her/them". This explains cases like "you and me should talk a bit" and "it's me, Mario!" well.

Note terms like nominative and accusative don't describe well English pronouns anymore. They did it in, like, 1400?

>what else would one say?
Americans say "in the"

>less vs fewer
Don't worry, the overwhelming majority of modern-day anglos are too fucking retarded to actually know this.

people also say "at the"

>also learn how to use whom to avoid using prepositions at the end. eg
This is hilarious from a historical perspective - English always used those dangling prepositions, like other Germanic languages do. And not even archaisms like "whom" can save you in certain situations.

Let that sink in.

we say we're "at the hospital" if we're visiting someone who's "in the hospital" as a patient

sometimes we drop the "the" because it's unnecessary

For generic statements use the pronoun "one" instead of "you".
So instead of:
>You do not simply walk into mordor
Say:
>One does not simply walk into mordor

Don't listen to these assholes

bit posh

That's the point of the thread isn't it?

No one talks like that you faggot

maybe not in the US

>farther vs further
Ah yes, American English