/smg/ - Stock Market General Thread

Gold Bless America - Happy 4th Edition

Popular brokers for stock trading:

Robinhood
>commission free and no minimum to open
robinhood.com

> How is it free?
Robinhood earns revenue by collecting interest on cash/securities and fees from their Robinhood Gold service

> When is it coming to my country?
The only "plans" are on an Australian and Chinese beta. Neither of which has gained much traction.

Interactive Brokers
>$0.005 commission per share (minimum $1 per trade). $10k minimum to open. Lowest margin interest. Free API access
interactivebrokers.com

TD Ameritade
>$6.95 commission per trade. No minimum to open. Fantastic data/charting through their free ThinkorSwim service
tdameritrade.com

Degiro (Cheap broker for Europeans)
degiro.eu

Educational sites:
investopedia.com/
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain
khanacademy.org/economics-finance-domain/core-finance/stock-and-bonds

Free in depth charts:
tradingview.com

Premarket Data:
nasdaq.com/extended-trading/premarket-mostactive.aspx
money.cnn.com/data/premarket/
cnbc.com/pre-markets/

Earnings Report Calendars:
biz.yahoo.com/research/earncal/today.html
earningswhispers.com/calendar

Biopharma Catalyst Calendar:
biopharmcatalyst.com/

Pump and Dump Advertising:
stocktwits.com

S&P 500 VIX Futures (For SVXY/UVXY, higher is better for UVXY, lower is better for SVXY)
investing.com/indices/us-spx-vix-futures

Basic rundown on options:
youtube.com/watch?v=TBAQtjyqNHw
youtube.com/watch?v=SuTTzfa4ePE

Previous thread:

Attached: ArtistsRenditionofChristfinalizingthedealwithPajeetandGoldstein.png (1154x886, 1.23M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCyHBlT16Zd1arzSCwFoThNw/videos
finance.yahoo.com/quote/sxs.l/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

weed stocks missed you burgers today. Not much action aside from someone whale buying Aphria with a market-on-close order.

Attached: 000CoffeeCat.jpg (400x558, 29K)

The market is inflated.

yur mum is inflated

Isn't today boxing day or something in Leafland?

That would be a surprise considering she died over a decade ago.

No, we had leaf day on Monday as a stat holiday even though leaf day was technically Sunday. No holiday today.

Buy BEP

what time is the special comfy bodcast

Probably whenever his mom wakes him up

Wait, there's a Jow Forums stock market general podcast? Anyone got a link?

HMNY $2.50

youtube.com/channel/UCyHBlT16Zd1arzSCwFoThNw/videos

I agree enough that I've started unwinding some of my equity positions and am accumulating cash.

Happy birthday America. Love you and your sweet economy that allows me to make consistent financial gains.

Better move onto China mate.

>youtube.com/channel/UCyHBlT16Zd1arzSCwFoThNw/videos

Bretty neat, thanks man. Whoever is behind this - keep it up, it's cool.

God Bless

Newfriend here

where do I practice with paper money?

just do a goggle on investing practice account. there are a bunch of different sites that offer it. Recommend you play with high volatility stocks, including crypto, when paper trading for practice. High volatility means more swings and more scenarios you will experience in a shorter span of time. You don't learn much paper trading blue chips that putter along at +/- 1% a day.

>China
better use stoplosses m8

Dont waste time paper trading
Just use small amounts & plan 2 lose them

I don't even understand half of the terms you guys use or about the chart patterns. Why would I do that.

then read books
rkg is right tho
the important part thats actually hard to learn is managing risk and emotions when you got real money on the table

None of those things matter anyways

You need to learn how you act when making / losing money asap

One thing I never understood is why people sell their stocks if they break the support line, why not keeping them to see if the price goes up in a month or so?

like what? Give us an example.

Also I guess I'll put 50 bucks and see if I get at least 1% profit.

I don't understand what candlesticks mean and I just can't understand the concept of short selling.

>One thing I never understood is why people sell their stocks if they break the support line
hence why putting real money down is important to learn

if youre trying to learn derivatives, thats another thing. in that case, definitely papertrade.

dasitmane
shoot for 5%
take note of how you feel when your down tho

go through those vids in the OP

WHY

Trading is about making consistent gains, not large gains on swing gambling. All trades should have a defined risk, entry, stop and exit plan. Stick to your method and ignore the emotional aspect of losing money. All traders lose money, in fact most blow through WHOLE ACCOUNTS MULTIPLE TIMES before learning discipline. The professional traders all all go through it, but they have learned how to stick to a plan.

Your most difficult part of trading should be looking for the right setup and waiting for it to come to you, then you let the trade go to your parameters wihout changing anything.

Sometimes the best trades are the ones you dont even take.

Fuck you, that's why.

I have 500 useless shares bro
I want to have something to hope for
pls

When did you get in? I've been holding since $0.65.

Attached: AAAAAAAA.png (400x504, 294K)

>shoot for 5%

Is that possible when I'm only able to do 3 trades a week due to that law I don't remember the name?

Is the US stock market open tomorrow or are these faggots taking 2 days off?

thats 3 day trades that you arent allowed to do in 5 rolling business days. PDT (pattern day trader) laws (SEC mark of the beast).

shouldnt matter unless you daytrade a lot, which you shouldnt anyways, as youre a beginner

I have a Robinhood account.

Am I only allowed to trade 3x a week?

For example, I buy one day, sell next day, buy again the day after that, then I'm done for the week'?

>When did you get in?
Way too high
>I've been holding since $0.65.
Add a dollar to your average and you're me

Attached: suicide.jpg (750x500, 43K)

I heard that a day trade is considered buying and selling.

So you basically can make 3 purchases and sell 3 times per week.

Really sounds fucking stupid desu, been trying to find an answer why this law is there and only thing I found was a government page saying that its banned because it is as risky as gambling and it pictures it as just popular because a few people were lucky. But I guess its all just bullshit so I don't scape the shitty system's plan.

they block you from doing anymore daytrades (unless you have over 25k in). kind of a bitch imo

but better than what happened to me. my broker doesnt stop me, so i accidentally went over it because a stop loss got triggered, then when i came back, my platform was telling me to deposit 15k into my account before i was allowed to even place a trade. had to remove my margins, and it fucking sucked and scared the shit out of me

>So you basically can make 3 purchases and sell 3 times per week.
no
a daytrade is a buy and a sellon the same ticker in the same market day. the way to get around this is to buy on the closing bell and selling the next day (wish id known this when i started lol)

I think with a big enough bank roll you get more/unlimited but it's like $25k

I've been way off my game lately, so I can't make any promises, but I'm pretty sure it's going to run up to $2.50 and then $7. The $7 run definitely happens after the reverse split, but I'm really thinking $2.50 happens before. If this is the case, then the first one is actually more impressive since that $7 is actually multiple shares combined (however many they decide to consolidate by for the reverse split, I'm thinking it's going to be 6, so that $7 is actually just like $1.15). So basically you're fucked if it doesn't run to $2.50 before the split.

Attached: Confused Rabbi.jpg (1750x2500, 383K)

Oh, so I can buy and sell a ticker on the same day 3x on Robinhood?

Man that ain't that bad desu senpai.

It's trades in the same day. You can trade the next day just fine. Plan ahead. If a stock you know does well had a bad day buy it up. Pharmaceutical companies are great for that. Look at IPOs and see which ones are doing well. Wait for a flat day to get in.

yes, but then you have to wait 5 rolling business days (so on a short week like this on it would be a week and a day. this is what happened to me)

>So basically you're fucked if it doesn't run to $2.50 before the split.
You couldn't be more correct, but that's what I get for having faith in a penny stock. The rest I've got are blue chips and fortunately all my HMNY losses are negated by my single AMZN share.

Wow, futures dont budge without the US markets

anyone have experience with companies that give you money to invest if you can prove you know how
to invest in a simulation?

Saw ads for one on fb awhile back but google can't find it

Sounds sketchy

dont do this

Doesn't sound legit. And even if it does, they probably take a large chunk of any gains, and you'd owe them for any losses, plus interest on their "investment" in you.
Don't do it user.

There are dozens of these, am get pitched new one each week

They all scams
A legit firm would require you have trading cert

Bought 20 @ .50
Basically gave up all hope of see money again when broke .41

Gonna go full cuck & ride out 2 split
Technically guess that means me still have hope but whatever >_>

Attached: 7154bda9b4e9ebd3227f468e97f9c728.jpg (700x482, 134K)

I'm guessing their business model is:

1) Have lots of people play their simulation. By dumb luck, a few people end up doing pretty well.
2) They loan those people money to invest for real, with added fees and/or interest.
3) People inevitably either lose money or fail to make nearly the same profits because their initial success was mostly luck. They are now on the hook for loaned amount plus interest.

where do i sign?

What really get me about HMNY pure mean spirited cynicism wall st.

Yeah there alot of millenials/ young people who bought HMNY.
Yeah crash price as expected of wall st.
Big deal if me have wait year for double money whatever!

But assholes cant even allow that. They have do ponzi scheme stock split to make sure me lose 100% of money. THEN they will pump.

Attached: 20180528_070712.png (482x580, 106K)

I bought 50 shares at 65 cents. I have no idea what's gonna happen to it, but now that I only have $10 left in that dogshit, idgaf lel.

How long does it take for my robinhood account to be approved? I have no credit score.

Is there a way to get a cert without paying someone for one? Can't your record speak for itself?

theres no free lunch either

So... GBR. I'm fairly certain it will go above 6 soo if only on the rebound since it was so popular. I'm thinking of putting my limit at 5.70 if it does and then raising it if it goes higher. Like 30ยข buffer to make sure I'm not one of those losers stuck with an 8 after it peaked at 15. From what people have told me there is no way it won't go up but I don't believe it will be worth more then 8. I bought at 4.25 and my sell is 4 so there's that too.

>So... GBR. I'm fairly certain it will go above 6 soo if only on the rebound since it was so popular.
What the fuck why?

dude its dead move on

i missed the pump of my life, if i woulda parlayed my fucking uso calls into gbr on thursday id be at the motorcycle dealership right now. such is life.

I WAS AWAKE VERY EARLY, THANK YOU

Also the bulls will win tomorrow

Attached: 1530052766876.png (434x341, 34K)

Doubt it. Failed to bounce back at all Tuesday.

What motorcycle would you get?

Yeah pretty much this, GBR was nothing but a pump and dump. No way that piece of shit company is even worth that much, just look at their 5 year chart.... Every once and a while it bounces like a dead cat.

ive got a klr650 but and i love her but shes a thumper. ready for some street action. 900rs or maybe the yamaha mt-10

hoping for a bit of a pump on HUSA tomorrow, if theres no action im gonna bail on it and just hold some cash until i see a shot i like. only been at this game about 2 weeks and im up nearly a grand. looking for that next big pump to get me up to around 6k.

Attached: mqeb4nfv.x0j.png (2000x1123, 411K)

The key to the pump and dump is the dump

A company called Mint Brokers International dumped about 114,000 shares on the market this month after the pump, equivalent to 1.3 million dollars.
Really makes you think when the original market cap was 4 million dollars.
R E A L L Y
M A K E S
Y O U
T H I N K
that all this was a giant set up. I wonder if Big 5 actually works for mintbrokers

Attached: lol.png (1322x511, 198K)

Turns out Mintbrokers is a weird division/shell/cover for a company called Thornbridge. I'm bored so I'm going to email them about GBR

Attached: 1523391312452.jpg (720x717, 67K)

Comfy, did you do your homework on put spreads?

Copper bear market
Damp it

Attached: copperdead.png (1005x718, 64K)

I should be asleep. Tomorrow is gonna suck.

Kneepads if a guy wanted to send you a get well card how would he go about that, without doxxing yourself of course.

Kind of, I decided to wait to see if IV goes down and just buy calls on it

Does it matter if she doxxes herself at this point?

Must be due to china dump. Maybe now the copper theives in my town will go fuck off somewhere else.

Try it for a while. Just try it. Eventually you are holding onto a bunch of losing trades. You cut your losses ASAP and hold the winners. It's a numbers game. That one stock price might come back up, but if it doesn't things only get worse. It's how you behave over the course of dozens or hundreds of trades that determines success.

The best times to buy options are after earnings and after major market moves have settled. Friday is going to be a shitshow if tariffs go in.

bagholders report your holdings

>Altria

Attached: tim shrug.gif (499x315, 481K)

>bought SPY a few months ago
>still holding it
>literally exactly 0% gain
>made a few paltry dollars from dividends

alright, i'm fucking sick of this shit. i plan to sell SPY when markets open tomorrow and go balls deep into the new hot meme.

what do you suggest i buy, and why?

Attached: 1530386332745.gif (500x281, 445K)

Who else /virgin sparklers/ tonight while neighbors are blowing literal bombs

Attached: sparkler.png (480x554, 151K)

the thing that confuses me, is why then is there a 300% increase in institutional transactions within the past few market days?

Attached: GBR finviz.png (1424x239, 34K)

Short IQ, BABA and every other chinese company into the basement where it belongs.

unfortunately robinhood doesn't let me short

fire ban in alaska, too light out for anything to be seen anyways

looking at that SQQQ again...one of these weeks shes gonna tumble down. I plan on being ready to buy the first real dip of my adult life.

The only legit one is Quantopian and by "know how to invest" there means literally having a winning algo running.

IQ if you want the easy mode of stocks. Also they gave it a very rare double up and only the very best stocks get it.

Any cheap easy picks for the morning? Ranges or anything?

this pls help MU raped me on Monday

Attached: 25C6587B-7652-4193-A402-3CD93981899A.gif (450x450, 1.91M)

Their are only a few recorded institutional buyers, I'm not sure which is moving shares

Attached: th.png (901x416, 31K)

Just kidding I do know which institution is playing it, it's virtu. They are a high frequency trading firm, probably pumped and dumped this bitch hard. Not sure if it's related to Mint Brokers, but some big bois definitely broke GBR

Attached: boosterseat.jpg (900x1200, 129K)

Attached: 85020331.jpg (600x663, 81K)

so should I swing tradeing until I break the 25k pdt barrier and then start day trading? Ive seen people doing live trades and they do 5 to 7 trades in a single hour.

Haha, stupid Chinese. USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Attached: c2936664-2253-4abe-9233-00e6bdc4f7dc[1].png (634x816, 463K)

futures look like shit again, and volume will be shit since it's the day after a holiday, Friday will be no different.

fuck trump
fuck holidays

Attached: 1381895055985.gif (256x256, 1.5M)

you guys are fucking retards! learn how a corporation works then come back to trading you fucking newbs! GBR is getting bought out! they need the vote, to insure their yes vote they are going to buy up all the issued and out that they can! stop being fucking faggots because you missed out on huge gains.

GBR is a long term play, the oil market is bulish and GBR going for a buyout is HUGE fucking news, if you dont see how that is then i suggest you step away from fucking trading for awhile and learn how business works!

Let GBR dip below 3.50 and buy it all up, HUGE buys went up to $3 pre market last week, that gives a good indication of support

FUCKING NEWBS!!

you forget something about the share structure Big5Guy (for you)

this thread is just retarded as fuck when it comes to corporations and how they are structured, they think all the answers are in some random youtube video but yet they never want to actually look into how corporations work, an investor coming in buying 50% more restricted shares than what the current issued and outstanding are is huge! people that think it is just a p&d have no clue on how macro economics or corporations but yet they have a bold opinion about it... fucking sickening this thread.

What does /smg/ think about this stock?

finance.yahoo.com/quote/sxs.l/

I'm negotiating compensation with one of their subsidiaries and am wondering how much I should ask for in terms of salary vs. RSU equity. It looks like it had insane growth right after 2008, but it's looking very sluggish now. With a market crash possibly around the corner, what should I do?

Attached: 1530212112949.jpg (574x382, 44K)