/lang/ - language learning general

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the wiki before asking in the thread
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Wolof
>What language should I learn?
Plattdeutsch

Attached: latin quo.png (832x769, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sVnjumhrOQ8
youtu.be/rqwNuw_b38w
youtu.be/Xp0o5_Ae3VY
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
youtube.com/watch?v=zxTLz5Z7dPA
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Who put the orthography shit in the German page? I wanna kick your ass

Zeige dich!

I want to learn French, especially quebec style French. Can I and is it worth it?

Most of the resources out there are for French French, but I'm sure there are resources out there for learning Canadian French. One thing to keep in mind is that the formal forms of Canadian French and French French are virtually identical other than a few differences in vocabulary; the main differences between Canadian French and French French involve traits of informal Canadian French.

Anyone know the translation to these lyrics? Possibly with the lyrics themselves? Couldn't find any resources for them. Really liked it.
youtube.com/watch?v=sVnjumhrOQ8
Afaik, it's in Hindi.

qui, qua, quo
quorum, quarum, quorum

Fuck me, high school latin PTSD is gonna give me nightmares tonight. Fucking shame that I've suffered for 3 years and couldn't translate anything but the most basic texts these days..

polanon reporting in

Attached: i-think-its-the-greeks-angela-middle-finger-trojan.jpg (735x480, 96K)

a fucking leaf reporting in

>just learnt you can do tests to skip entire levels in duolingo

Attached: yeet.jpg (297x202, 4K)

finally I can stop saying "I am x"

Attached: yeet2.jpg (317x533, 16K)

What are you learning?

Italian

I'm taking a whack at Japanese, what order do the words come in? It seems like it's in a random ass order not intuitive to me

In english it's adjective noun. In spanish it's noun adjective.

What site is this?

duolingo

Why aren’t you learning Southern Sami?

>he only studies living langs
yikes

>he only studies natural languages

Attached: apu_apustaja_action.jpg (705x527, 247K)

Assume that I'm able to spend every hour of every day I'm not eating, sleeping, showering or shitting studying languages for 70 weeks straight, and partaking in intensive Chinese courses which take up 8hrs per day 5 days per week.

Do you think it would be possible to spend two additional hours per day studying Russian, one in Italian, and one in Swedish over these 70 weeks, and reach a decent level of proficiency in all of them?

Afer meus

Attached: 1550041182702.png (2000x1800, 806K)

Why is German considered harder than French for an English speaker? From what I can tell German is much more similar to English and it's hard for me to believe that the German case system is a bigger obstacle overall than French pronunciation. Is it just that English has so much French vocabulary?

Attached: 1506837718154.png (483x470, 184K)

is there someone here learning a language with no interest in visit/culture/people/cuisine of those countries where the language is spoken? You like only the language. Maybe you saw an interview, heard a song or whatever. How is it going?

I did not care about Wales until I heard Welsh. Then I immediately became a Walesboo desu, it's my favourite language

youtu.be/rqwNuw_b38w

Probably not an answer you wanted, but I started learning Esperanto on a whim, without any cultural or political motivations. I just came across it a few times in various media and got curious. I didn't realize how fun it would be, and before I knew it I was hooked. Learning it has been fun I think it's going well, considering how lazy my practice has been.

Based. I think Welsh is very pretty language. It's on my "want to learn but probably wont get around to learning in any real capacity" list. Then again, my dad's side of the family is welsh. Apparently my great grandfather used to read a local welsh newspaper over here in states. My parents have a recording of my grandmother singing a song he used to sing when she was little. She only knows it phonetically (and probably mispronounced everything). She was told never to sing it to a welsh person though, so I'm really curious what's in there. One of these days I want to see if it can be translate.

100% based and redpilled

Oriau Cymraeg priodol, fy cyfaill
youtu.be/Xp0o5_Ae3VY

German has some odd grammar rules that is unique to it's language. Which makes it harder when it comes to more complex sentences.

French is slightly easier because English shares a lot of very similar words, because a large amount of the English language has some romance roots.

Attached: familiarwords.png (1305x731, 493K)

Damn, quite easy to read in German

eh depends on the individual, i've heard people from both sides say the other was easier for them.

I don't know any French but I am learning
German, and I read the whole page easy peasy
I was thinking 'aloud' is all

French pronounciation is not difficult.

It is good to hear your German skills are really good, some people would love to be able to pick up German that easily. I think German tends to be a more consistent and "obvious" too if you get what i mean.

How long have you been learning French for? How do you find it?

Attached: 1549568671934.png (785x847, 287K)

I am retarded and pressed enter, I meant to say I am learning German

Ah i getcha now yer no worries, still good to hear your German is getting more solid tho

thankslad

Attached: 1491480901282.webm (648x414, 903K)

French pronunciation isnt much harder than correct german pronunciation, they both require you to use the gutteral R. The only thing "hard" about french pronunciation are the nasal sounds

>German is much more similar to Englis

I take it youve never studied German, yea there are similarties ans cognates betweent the 2 langs but french and english share so many cognates that makes french appear more familiar than german

Also what the australian said

German must be a brainlet language for slavs that speak in 50 cases

>The only thing "hard" about french pronunciation are the nasal sounds
Probably this. I've heard people who spoke almost perfect french, almost without foreign accent, but still couldn't get those nasal sounds quite right. There's a lot of those in french and I guess they're pretty unnatural for foreigners.

God I wanna give up lads... why is listening so difficult.
>"Just like listen to comprehensible audio bro 80% and above!"
Im a beginner... so nothing is comprehensible.. I can't even recognise single words.. :(

wot do.. sorry for blog post.

>listening to pimsleur spanish
>yo nordeamerikano
this sounds stupid and retarded

Tfw I miss all the free time I had to fuck around with Dutch, Swedish, Danish, and Old Norse

What lang are you learning? You should slow down the speed to .75x on Youtube and keep replaying segments

But I always hear that you should only listen to native speed because that's what your gonna end up hearing all the time... 한국어 btw

You have to actually have a base of vocabulary to have hearing comprehension , which requires actually reading

I know around 1k-1.5k words.. but then I hear that you shouldn't read too much at the start because you can fug your listening skill up.

Why is so much dogma passed around in language learning ㅜㅜ

These things take time but don't get discouraged. I remember being elated when I could pick out single words. Now I can passively understand like 80% at normal speed, more if I focus. And as a bonus, lately when I listen to other languages that share words I can pick out a few here and there, which was a compete surprise. Overall, it's been very rewarding.

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Honestly, it's not the speed, it's the distortion. I have a _harder_ time listening at the x.75 speed, because its garbled and metallic sounding. Maybe is you use the high quality slowing on audacity or something it would be worth it at like 90%.

and also.. how do I read without knowing words :(
is this a catch-22 :(

Wenny Weedee Weechee

Work on them at the same time. Read, watch some stuff, try to speak, go back to reading, etc. I would personally say it's never to early to start listening. Your brain needs to get used to picking out sounds, because it's build to ignore "noise". The less the language is noise to your brain, the fewer sounds it will filter out, the easier it will be to pick words out.

Unironically listen to kids stories / songs. The words are simpler and they usually speak clearer. As an added bonus they usually cover things like colors and counting, which is the same stuff a beginner would cover.

I've been pretty much exclusively listening only korean audio 24/7 for a month.. And it all sounds the same still::( I can pick out the super common words obviously but anything more and it just sounds like slurred garble.

and I can't enjoy any content yet because I just can't understand what's going on.. I am a brainlet and a memorylet which doesn't help.

Try songs then. They're not always the most clear (a lot of singers morph vowels more than you would assume), but you can find the lyrics and try to pick out the words you understand within the song. I found it less boring when I could only understand one word here and there. You said you're studying Korean? Here's an artist I found that you might like:
youtube.com/watch?v=zxTLz5Z7dPA
Just be careful with songs and don't spam the same artist/style because you're likely to pick up slang/idioms once you start understanding more. Imagine someone who learned English through gansta rap.

> I can pick out the super common words
This didn't excite you at all? It's not easy for anyone, especially when it's a completely foreign language from across the globe. Just remember it takes time and be proud of what you've done.

>Why is so much dogma passed around in language learning ㅜㅜ
This isn't exclusive to language learning. I would say fitness is _way_ worse. With both though persistence pays off way more than trying to micro-optimize your routine. Chances are if people argue over which way to do something so heavily the difference between doing it one way or not isn't that important. This is such a well-known phenominon in software development that a name was coined for it -- bikeshedding: en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bikeshedding

Yeah I listen to about 8 hours of songs a day.. always got my earphones in. It doesn't excite me picking out the super common words because it doesn't lead to any more understanding than 0 words :/ I guess I just gotta listen more.. but I mean I've been listening to korean music daily for almost 5 years now.

Are you looking up the lyrics too? Listen to a song, look up the lyrics, translate the lyrics, then go back to the song again and listen a few times. It's a lot easier to pick words out if you've done the translation, and now your brain is associating the sound of that word with your translation. Even now if I listen to songs passively my brain picks out very little.

No I've never looked lyrics up.. I've heard the grammar in songs is a lot different to actual speaking so I thought I could teach me bad habits?? I don't know :( I don't think I have the skill to translate an entire song.. would probably take a whole day up haha

>1711
What?

>I thought I could teach me bad habits??
Yes, it might. This is why I wouldn't over do it.

> I don't think I have the skill to translate an entire song
Do a verse of a children's song then. I'm not familiar with korean so I can't help you locate a good one, but I'm sure there are some quality ones out there (which will cover topics like body parts, colors, etc, and because of their simple nature likely have less slang in them). But you're right that it will take time and effort to do it, but so does learning a language. This is why those "learn x while you sleep" tapes were a scam. You don't learn that way. Just like if you can talk you're not exercising, you're not learning if you can shitpost while you're trying to listen to it.

thanks for getting me out of my 1 hour depressive rut fren :( I feel somewhat motivated again

sorry for clogging the thread with my pitty posting everyone :D

Eh, don't be sorry. You're posting on-topic content in a general that needs to be bumped to life several times a day. It might not be a sexy topic, but it's no less important. Just remember that I'm not an expert. I'm just sharing what I felt was helpful.

Immo, ille *memator stultus est

Bump

>

we were on page 6 but now we're on page 7. before that we were on page 5

this

Fuck those filthy diacritical marks, ruining the purity of the alphabet! Rate how I'm going to write my Esperanto from now on

Attached: 20190215_123717.jpg (1266x720, 518K)

Attached: 1544540568475.png (700x553, 127K)

bump

Vietnamese would like a word with you.

>before that we were on page 5

Why not "before that we had been on page 5"?

What is the reason for the existence of past perfect tense?

Attached: sp4KH.png (962x211, 12K)

The breve over 'ŭ' is supposed to bend the other way, friend. Also, I aesthetically prefer the hat over the stem of the h, but your way isn't incorrect by any means.
Your post means we're up to tri eperantistoj in /lang/ now, as the other guy I spoke to here is Australian (assuming that wasn't you under a proxy or traveling.) Bonege!

Idk, once you get that many it starts looking cool again.

Oh wait, I just understood what you were asking about. Degeneracy. If you're going to do something so disgusting, just use the 'h' system instead, which is (slightly) less degenerate.

>he doesn't study dark languages

Attached: 1522883084762.png (804x876, 456K)

I'm not sure what exactly caused your sudden wanjo de koro, but what I've shared is simply my own solution for being lazy and only wanting to write single, non-accented letters

>he doesn't study a language whose very existence is disputed

Attached: confused stock photo.jpg (275x183, 5K)

>he doesn't make his own languages

You can do whatever you please, but nobody is going to put the work into understanding what you mean. It's less legible than just leaving the marks off and hoping people can tell from context what you meant.

That's probably right, and I'll probably use the formal characters when actually communicating with it. But I will bide my time, user. I will make a single-character Esperanto alphabet a reality...

Here is a non-retarded version, for posterity

Attached: 20190215_133717.jpg (949x560, 333K)

> single-character
Better get rid of j then, as it's just i with a mark on the bottom. And G is just C with a mark on it. Oh, and don't forget that w is just two v's glued together, so it's gotta go too. :^)

>̨̘ͫ̇h̵͉̤͚ͬ̋ͧͦ̇̌̔̈́̏e̢̺ͤ̇͠ ͇̳͚̩̤̘̟̐͟d̘͖̊͠o͓̯͔̖̻̙̥̝ͣ́̈́ê̖̌ͧ̔̌͂̈́s̜̦̮̖̼͙̣̼ͬ́͛̕n̴̤̜̖͕͍̥̯ͭ͜'̴̡͙̪̦͖̼̄ͧ̄ͅt̩̯͔̖͇̳̔̓̈̓̿̓̋ ̘̼̖̥̙̰̻ͤ̊̾̿̉̆͡͝ş̱͔͖̺͍̒́̄t̪̙͎̟̠̻ͪ̎ͤ̓ͭ̚͘u͚͕͙̘̗̪͗̎̈́͛̽̈̀̋ͅḋ̼̱̠̋̏́ͬ́̚y̴͎̘ͮͤ̎̿ͮ̐ ̤͓̍ͧͯ̈́̀̕t̨͔̳̮̣̟͂̾ͦ̀̽́h͉̖̝͇̩̆ͣͮͅa̷̞͖͎̜̥̮̍̔ͤ̇̋́͊t̡̟̮̜̘̘̱͒̾̒͛̕ ̙ͪ̾ͪ͝w̶̦̮͕̹̜̹͋̆͐͊́ͅͅh̟̳̭̯̟̣̺̍̊͋i̱̹̓̈́͒̈́ͭͩͮ̊̕͡c̶̛̜̻̣͚͕͉̹͖ͯ͒̓̔h͇̮͙̥̤̄͒ͯ̂̿̃ͫ͒ ̠͖̩͓̣͎̏i̖͈͕̋̀ͅs̷̰̰̫̦͔̝ͦ̌ͦͣ͟ ̛̖̱̘̜͚̣̩̄̔ͫ̎ͭḇ̝̯̣̯̟ͯ̇̋ͭ͆ͭ̌ͬͪè͇̜͍̼͈̗͙̚y͎̜̯̐̎̓̑ͨ̈́͛̽̚̕ơ̦̻̥̱̄ͯ͊ͭ̏̋́͠n̴ͭ̇̈́ͅḑ̤̖̣̼̤͛̔͟ͅ ̛̣̬̱̯̠̥̘̫͚̓ͮͭ̐͌ͪ̈́ḫ̵̬̳̮̳͈̪ͦͪ̐̄͆̓̾͐u͚͎̦̟ͩ̇̿ͬ͗ͯ́͂͘m̻̗̝̭͎ͬa̰̖͚̳͕ͯ̂̄ͤ͢͡ͅͅn̺̹̗̤̩̗̎͐̋͠͠ ̶̛̼̙̹̯̱̬ͩͧ̔̓̎̿̉͂č̴̜̰͉͈̜̭̔̊ͮͨ͟ͅo̹͙̪͕̯̫̥̜̞ͮ͂m̷̰̝̪͕̗̜͋͑p̸̡̫̤͐ͬͦ̑̿̊ͬͤ͝r̢̩͓ͪ͝e̺̭̞̿́̆ͬ͘͜h͙̠̮̬ͦͫ̄̕͠͠e̡̙͎̯ͩ͢ñ̙̟̗̘̌̃̽̕͜͞s̟̗̞͎̘̍́́ͨ͜i̱͍̦̰͖̠ͬ͊ͮ̾̉͊̀ơ͖̑̎̌ͩ́͛̀͝n̬̈̇͛́́͠

Attached: AAAAAAAHHHHHH.jpg (487x364, 18K)

lol nice

I know how beneficial it'd be to do just an hour a day each day. Literally all it would take would be an hour for both my languages, so 2 hours or day, or shit, even 30 mins for them.
Yet I don't always do it, why not? I don't know.

How do you do it /lang/?

Attached: 1539845599275.jpg (683x683, 68K)

nevs

>page 7

PAGE EIGHT

>before that we had been on page 5?
That works as well, but it sounds a little awkward if your not referring to a specific time frame.

this thread is fucked....

Attached: irritation.png (1110x660, 692K)

>Ayi pagenah pagenah pagenah pagenah pagenohara bumpi yute
>Shrita sevenii sevenii-sevenii sevenii-sevenii kara bumpra-vrte

Attached: Wojak meditating to a stotra.jpg (500x637, 107K)

I thought this was sanskrit when I first looked

Well, it's based on it, but I memed it as bumping page 7. :^)

It's verse 11 from the Bull Demon Destroyer Hymn- uh... I mean Mahishasuramardini Stotram.

अयि सुमनःसुमनःसुमनः सुमनःसुमनोहरकान्तियुते
श्रितरजनी रजनीरजनी रजनीरजनी करवक्त्रवृते ।
सुनयनविभ्रमर भ्रमरभ्रमर भ्रमरभ्रमराधिपते
जय जय हे महिषासुरमर्दिनि रम्यकपर्दिनि शैलसुते ॥ ११ ॥

Attached: Shakti.jpg (353x465, 82K)

based
are you learning sanskrit?

>are you learning sanskrit?
It's one of my target langs but I haven't started learning it for real yet, more like backlogged it to pick up when I'm done with the others. But I have listened to a lot of Sanskrit and at this point I dare say my pronunciation is not perfect but pretty good and I notice pronunciation differences between reciters from different backgrounds (like they read different vowels because of their expectations on the script or something) and when people make mistakes or pronounce it downright horribly. :^)
Like plain s for ss when it should be the 'sh' sound, or '-a' or '-e' when it should be '-i' which is a common mistake it seems like, and variations on vowels and and inconsistencies with [v] and [w] for ⟨v⟩.
Although I know serious reciters try to mimic Sanskrit-speaking scholars as best as they can, so props to them for trying and making cool music with it instead of simply reading it plain.

(but I guess my pronunciation is probably still horrible to actual speakers lmao ;_;).

the stereotype about french being the most beautiful language is true isn't it

>What language should I learn?
>Plattdeutsch
BASIERT UND GIGAROTGEPILLT

You're called the eternal anglo because you're eternally cursed to be a monolingual forced to share communities with amerimutts

Finnish, english, norwegian, japanese I can bot write and speak.

German a bit of speaking, read it ok, french I can read. Have two books in esperanto, read them somewhat. Always learning new things. Each new day is a new challenge.

When do you know when to use "voller, voll, voll mit" in german

One can says es ist voller menschen, es ist voll wasser, es ist voll mit schleim

Many people study swedish and norwegian here whos existence as
Langs are disputed because
They are dialects of danish

french sounds gay though
sounds like a european hebrew/arabic. disgusting to my ears

not at all

I feel like creating a whole fucking language