Jow Forums occupations thread

post your age, occupation, and current pay, also if you could, give some advice about your job.

>21
>apprentice electrician
>22$/hr

This job rewards hard workers, if you try to play it like a sport and hone your skills you'll do well in it.

Attached: I+figs+dis+me+mayk+u+nise+to+muma+u+_b8b3c240e1ea918170c0a00e5249f795.jpg (957x621, 61K)

>24
>Custodian
>$10\hr
>Long hours repetitive work.

how did you end up landing that gig?

>boomer (29)
>production coordinator (commercials)
>37.5/hr

Film/tv industry is all about long fucking days and getting along well with your coworkers. If you can put the time in and be a cool person to be around, you'll make it.

>21
>welder
>500k

Are you that one guy who works as the custodian for his old high school?

whats the hardest part of your job?
Sounds pretty lax

do you go to school first for like a year or something before you start work as an electrician? or do you just go apply with no knowledge and hope they take you in and train you? how does the apprenticeship work?

>25
>Night Operations ASM at Home Depot
>$100k/yr
It's really cool actually. Most of my team is immigrant mexicans but they love me. Now. At first, for the first few months, they hated me and intentionally didn't do work so that I would look bad. Then they hired someone else and they did so poorly that the team was begging for me to come back, and ever since then they've loved me. The hours are cool too, 9pm to 6am, so I always get to enjoy the mornings. It's a very fast paced job since we are a 20 man team and a $80M/year store.
I'm a college droupout and I started at Home Depot as a part time cart-pusher so I'm pretty happy with where I ended up.

>90's kid
>junior lawyer
>85k/yr but cause i work 20 hour shifts i get less than minimum wage/hr

plumber helper
1000 every two weeks
honestly idk how apprentices get money like you OP. teach me the way.

It's getting to the higher positions if you didn't go to school for it. I did a year of community college and was already getting work so I bailed.

The only tangible benefit you get from going to school for this field is a network of classmates who will probably form the foundation of your career. Everything else you can teach yourself.

Coming at it from outside of that system just means you'll be doing the grunt work for maybe a year longer than someone who just graduated (probably a year or two for them) but your results may vary.

I've met people who brute force their way into the industry just by the simple virtue of having money.

So yeah, getting there is that hardest part. Now I get to sit on my ass and handle paperwork, hire crew, and manage budgets all day instead of running around in the heat getting people water.

Also buy a Mac even if you hate apple. It's a necessary evil to get any office jobs.

>26
>security guard and bus driver for retarded kid at a charity center in my country.
>work for free cause i already made it with two mil.

>30
>Chinese fighting ants farming
>More than I can count

>25
>Full stack developer
>98k

General interest in computers and enjoying problem solving is really all it takes to make it far in this job.

>24
>e5 in navy
>~42k/yr after taxes

If you map everything out you can make decent money in the military fairly quickly (I made e5 in two years) but it's most definitely not worth staying in

>24
>hotel receptionist
>7,89€ / hour after tax

today we have hot chicas from spain in our house

Attached: images[1].jpg (251x201, 9K)

>25
>junior software engineer
>60k for 4days/week
>studying CS part tine

film director / cinematographer / editor
4000usd minimum directing projects
1800usd x day as cinematographer
1000usd for editing a commercial

im my own boss, except for my clients which are my boss in a way.
also i got to pay for my own editing equipment, we are talking +10k usd computer.
cinema cameras normally I just rent: 600-700usd day

>27
>R&D process engineer in microelectronics and MEMS
>22€/h (around average wage in my country)
I am in charge of 25% of the cleanroom processing steps. Most of the developpement is already done but there's always tweaks to be made to improve perfs or new materials, chemicals or integrations to test.
The job is technically demanding in problem-solving skills. It also demands being capable of keeping up with a dozen of different projects at once. Also I work with very big silicon valleys companies since they outsourced us most of their R&D.

HAHAHA

or not.

kill me now plz. both you and me know that there are so many snakes... once a snake always a snake...
I stopped doing commercials because of this. Im doing my own stuff now with my crew just getting clients on our own.

lead hand at winery
24/hr

writer
if you wait until what youre writing is good enough for you, youll never publish, be lots of pen names one for each genre, pay a good editor, write every day

>21
>architecture intern (getting fired soon from market downturn though)
>$20/hr after tax

Focus on getting VERY good at Revit and Dynamo. Design skills isn't something that can be learnt through your shitty 5 year degree

That's fair and you're totally right, I've run into tons of them. The first lesson I learned was that people will almost always over promise and under deliver. Nobody makes good on their favors but when you finally find good people you stick to them like glue. I'm working with a couple great teams now and it's truly been a fucking time getting to this point. Where are you based out of?

What kind of writing do you do? Fiction, non-fiction, etc?

move to canada, and get good at what you do

air traffic control
~$55 hr

bro this isn't 1954...you think writers get paid 100k? nice larp faggot

>90's kid
Why do you use that fucking term it's disgusting

>20
>Special Ed Kinder Aide
>$13/hr

Easy gig, every day is different, can take lots of sick days, no benefits, learn CPR and CPI

It's a great job to have while I finish my degree. Plus I get summer off.

Either this is a disgusting LARP or the US truly is the best country in the world, hands down.
There's no way a college drop out assistant manager would make even $50k anywhere in Europe, let alone $100k per year in a home depot.

Forensic accountant [CPA]

250/hr but expecting a pay raise, I also do overtime for extra $$$ plus bonuses

I'm not here to trade crypto, I just like looking at the large scale fraud that is the cryptomarket

>24
>anesthesiology resident
>40000
To anybody else wondering if it's worth it. Not it's fucking not.

hows that suicide rate going

I may contribute if nurses don't stop trying to steal my job.

>29
>software engineer
>INR 36k/month

If your gonna off yourself, quit instead. Fuck the medicine industry, one of the dirtiest [legally] i've ever worked with. Fucking oil companies have better morals than pharma firms

>23
>Data Scientist at a large insurance company
>Around €3.2k per month

Started around 2 months ago.

I figure I can put up with it enough years while aggressively saving so I can retire early. By the way, some advice for anyone in the thread: always ask to meet the surgery team before you go under. These days nurses think they're real hot shit and are competent enough to properly anesthetize you and keep you alive if shit goes sideways and they aren't. Take responsibility for your life and get to know the people who are going to take care of you. Don't let someone you don't trust or who is underqualified keep you alive.

Cyber Security Manager
$170k package

>21
>student accounting
>deejay
>€350/h

Is ATC as stressful a job as I hear?

wtf explain yoself

20 year old cashier. (USA)
10$/ hour, and about 30 hours a week before university starts up.

Attached: Kickass+fact+comp+58+text+border+black+big+if+you+d+like+a+citation+to_2926c5_6279788.jpg (620x330, 78K)

>31
>Indie game developer
>approx 60k a year

I'm not rich, but I work for myself from home doing shit I like, so I'm happy enough

sounds chill af, so are you one of those guys who make those bizarre steam games?

>26
>Video game writer
>Used to be 25k+, now I'm looking for work

It's really hard to get into this gig and find a steady job if you can't work at a massive developer or publisher. Like any writing discipline, make sure you read a lot or listen to a lot of audiobooks, and have a good backup plan if you find yourself out of work.

Give some advice how to get from 0 to 10k and from 10k to 60k as an indie gamedev. Shit seems really tough.

>27 year old Boomer
>Software engineer
>Overall 400k

Still can't find true love :-(

Train driver

I took home £5100 after tax for the previous 4 weeks.