Why doesn't Jow Forums invest in things with intrinsic value? Bitcoin has no use outside of being a speculative asset

Why doesn't Jow Forums invest in things with intrinsic value? Bitcoin has no use outside of being a speculative asset.

Magic cards have play value, which ensures they'll be valuable in the long run.

Attached: qwerrr.png (1197x631, 443K)

They say
>"lol yugioh grow up user xD"
Meanwhile I've been selling mtg specs for 1000-5000% gains per flip all year

capitalising on out of print cards?
Pls explain

CryotoKiddies have moved on to CryptoKitties. They provide companionship and love.

I think MTG is entering bubble territory. The most expensive cards are needed for formats that are increasingly niche and outpricing everyone. When no one is able to play vintage/legacy, who will the cards be for? Seems very similar to the comic book bubble in that regard (investors vs. intended audience)

They'll have to rest on their collectibility rather than their playability like card prices are now. If that happens, investors underestimate how low you need to price your cards in order for them to sell, which could create an aggressive race to the bottom.

I didn't think YGO was profitable considering its reprints

imagine paying 200k usd for a stupid card lmao

Not at all.

What about an Atari system? You can still play it but it's worth fuck all.

The only reason it holds value is cause somebody else wants it. Same as everygod damn thing in the world.
The price is determined by cost to produce and market demand.

If everyone agreed that mtg was valueless it would therefore have no value. Same st btc.

MTG is slowly dying. When gen X gets a little older, many will want to sell their overpriced cards for retirement money. That's when card prices will collapse. There are not enough millennials and gen Z who care about MTG to keep the prices up so high

>play value
well this has to be the most retarded thing I've heard today. the only intrinsic value is as paper. look more into counterfeit protections on early mtg cards (protip: there arent any that couldn't be overcome by an expert) also the penalties for such would be very small if caught compared to "real" fraud. it's going to be a big problem in the future for the secondary market

No one's really overcoming them though. Chinese counterfitters don't want to pay the extra investment to really create the methods for serious counterfitting that would trick a seasoned inspector. Not a really big incentive to do so

You meant to tell us there's actually a market for these pokeman cards with serious investors spending thousands of dollars for a piece of cardboard box? World War 3 when?

Attached: 1446783513463.png (1012x1088, 711K)

i do think we'll see WOTC eventually intervene into the skyrocketing prices of most eternal playables. there are also ways of doing so that don't get in the way of the reserved list.

for instance, printing commander-specific dual lands that function just like regular ABU duals in vintage and legacy, but won't affect the standard/modern metagame.

something like:
commander underground sea
nonbasic land - island swamp
commander underground sea comes into play tapped unless you have fewer than two opponents

I imagine we might see some legendary duel lands or something like that. A weak implimentation. WOTC is too prudish to do something like let duel lands be accessible in some form to average players. That and they dont make big moves anymore unfortunately. Won't get a huge jump in card power like that Urza block ever again

I don't blame WOTC for how crazy card prices have gotten. I just don't think they should cater to investors with low print runs, etc. Very shortsighted to do that IMO.

printing commander duals that function like regular duals in eternal constructed formats, and just making them mythic (sort of like all the reprints of tarmogoyf) could probably be enough to slice the current price of most duals in half, if not more. the biggest reason is that it would show investors that WOTC has some guts, and that they might print more legacy/vintage-playable duals in the future. in other words investors and card hoarders of 3ED duals would suddenly get the memo that they don't have a monopoly over all future legacy manabases, and then collectively lower their asking prices.

but yes agreed, WOTC has shown their true colors, and also their blatant disregard towards most eternal formats by refusing to intervene into eternal cards' new role as an instrument of speculation. investment is one thing - people should expect that their decks to more or less hold their value - but rampant speculation is another.

people who play vintage and legacy (myself included) are often the oldest fans of MTG. WOTC seems to have forgotten that it's way easier to keep a current customer, than to find a new one, and by pricing people out of the most interactive format (legacy imho) they're setting themselves up for failure aka losing old fans.

there's absolutely no reason underground sea - one of the most highly played cards in legacy, often as a 4x - should cost $800 lol

i will add to this my perhaps unpopular opinion. i believe the barrier to entry of newer players into legacy should not be price-related, but a difficulty curve. legacy has the largest card pool and thus the most mechanics/interactions to memorize. legacy rewards a deep knowledge of the entire MTG ecosystem - which, quite frankly, is the culmination and the dream of any hobby company. with the legacy community, WOTC already has everything it could ask for and more in a customer base, yet for some reason it decides to continuously please investors over actual players of the game

Attached: mtg-nemesis-accumulated-knowledge-foil-D_NQ_NP_780768-MLM26615709208_012018-F.jpg (864x1200, 292K)

They won't do that. If they undermine the reserved list in any way, all confidence would be lost and players would quit in droves. What player would want to see someone else buy the same deck for a fraction of the price that they paid for?

they would undeniably make up for the few salty players who quit (and that's a dumb reason to quit a hobby tbqh) with all the new players who suddenly can afford to play legacy and switch to the superior eternal formats.

also reserved list-friendly duals like the example i mentioned wouldn't cause the price of duals to absolutely plummet overnight. at most we'd see a reset to where prices were a year or two ago. if you recall the spike in duals was due to the announcement that the MTG pro tour would be featuring legacy again, which reignited speculators' hopes that there would be a brand new market of FOMOers willing to pay $500+ for individual legacy lands. that's pure opportunism and shouldn't be rewarded - i personally wouldn't be upset if those people quit playing MTG

thats the empty thread investors have always had. Quit in droves? lmao. That's such a childish thing to say. The players are ASKING for the reserve list to be dismantled. Maybe the singles market would have some backlash but not even LGS care about reserve list, as very few if any real number of them are sitting on those cards as investment. Though I agree WOTC won't really undermine most likely.

It's been speculated that when Rosewater says he'll address the reserve list, it'll be in the way of reprints thant fullfill those rolls but aren't functionally identical.

>bitcoin
>no intrinsic value

Attached: 1526504340668.jpg (703x685, 151K)

MtG is a large-scale hot potato game
10 years from now the bubble will have popped
meanwhile Ethereum will power thousands of collectible digital card games
ether has intrinsic value, your nerd cards don't

Imagine paying $20,000 for 1 internet Monopoly dollar lmao

And there is also grown up men who watch weeb shit, can you imagine?

Classic poorfag cope

Attached: 20180502_224121.jpg (1280x720, 386K)

MTG has gone full SJW and is now bleeding because of it

>mixing the cause and affect so badly

i got three legacy decks fren
maverick, grixis control, and steel stompy
not to mention plenty of duals to my name
DRS ban has me energized about legacy again so i'm just a little more vocal/opinionated about the longevity of the format. unlike many players i'm not trying to be some sort of gatekeeper, in fact it's really important to me that newer MTG players switch over to legacy

who gives a fuck about MTG, at least Pokemon and the other shit have a following