Buffett specifically recommends them as a way to boost retirement savings...

>Buffett specifically recommends them as a way to boost retirement savings. "Consistently buy an S&P 500 low-cost index fund," he told CNBC's On The Money. "I think it's the thing that makes the most sense practically all of the time."

This growth can't be sustainable, can it?

Attached: S&P 500.png (1282x943, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-13/what-can-qe-tell-us-about-qt
aaii.com/journal/article/stock-market-retreats-and-recoveries.touch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

As long as it is denominated in dollar, it can.

short term, no, we are about to get shit on and it is going to be a really wet one.

long term, absolutely, the economy will grow. how profitable it is relative to other investments really just depends on how long you plan on living

As long as a trend continues, it tends to continue.

As long as earnings expectations remain in good form, it will continue.

As long as China doesn't steal too much of US Intellectual Property, the trend, on a multi-year time frame, should continue.

>i'll have one million dollars once i turn 75 and I'm too old to do anything with it
fuck that

Why do all you fucking morons only look at the past 10-20 years? you realize it has system right? It does infact go up forever over time

You're assuming the $USD survives the next shitstorm.

so what. that just means that when you sell your shares you will be paid out in some other form of currency, crypto or otherwise

zerohedge.com/news/2018-07-13/what-can-qe-tell-us-about-qt

Also HODLing is a terrible idea because most of the time an index goes up, it’s retracing losses from steep drops. Adjusted for real returns after inflation, these indices basically leave you at break even unless you’re timing the markets and selling at the right time before rebuying. Anyway, this time the fed is about to take a massive steaming shit on equity markets

It sustained itself for the past 100 years.

this is absolutely fanfiction. it takes on average 2.8 years to recover from a correction of 10-20%. those corrections happen how often? every 20 years? come on.

aaii.com/journal/article/stock-market-retreats-and-recoveries.touch

Attached: 10056-figure-1.jpg (998x594, 40K)

not every 20 years. there have been 21 in 80 years. read the article. still, super profitable.

Never post here again you absolute mouth breathing retard

the great depression also happened in the within the past 100 years though so theres that. time in the market is more reliable than timing in the market. but wouldnt it be great to have good timing when you need good timing and to hold your bags when you need to hold your bags.

It took 4 years to recover from the depression.

It’s such a sad thought that some people plan like this and then they die shortly afterwards. And that’s life...years and years of working to make some corporation rich and you get your prize right before croaking.

Tax cut fueled stock buybacks is the only thing propping this up right now

cool. so sell before and buy back in at a lower price point, then hold for the next 70 years.

>so sell before and buy back in at a lower price point
And how do you know when that is?
Fucking retard.

math and living in reality

>passive cuck holding

Ok sweetie :))

Attached: AFD8B398-43CE-4D4B-A9BA-7998C2B41F6B.png (599x643, 195K)

Yeah. I've bet you sold in 2012 waiting for the "imminent" crash and missed out on 200% gains since then. I'm sure you know better than the math PhDs with supercomputers on Wall Street.

>ignoring dividends
Nice meme.

im literally willing to bet that those math PhDs with supercomputers on WallStreet are about to cash out. i dont know better than them. but they arent special. they just respect numbers. clearly, you only respect your own opinion

If that was the case, it would already be priced in :^).

>haha, jackpot! I get to wait a couple of years less!
Enjoy holding the bags on the way down, honey :))))

Attached: 98B3F819-A17D-4D41-BADF-8A71FE82A3C4.png (659x444, 32K)

and i was graduating high school in 2012. didnt have any investments to cash out and wouldnt have if i did. things have changed in 6 years.

financially illiterate people like you are also priced in...

Friendly reminder that Trump won and youre seething :)

Oh they’ve left; everything that is left are corporate buybacks funded by debt and short squeezes. The fed is now going to shed their balance sheet by $50B from this month on compared to 10 since November

>literally 4000x gains over the past 100 years
HAHA what a cuck!
The time frames aren't even correct. The 2nd and 4th periods clearly get back to even halfway through.

friendly reminder that trump won and the market is losing steam

Forgot to include this chart too to demonstrate that institutional investors are out of the game

Attached: 21DB71BF-A1BC-4117-A095-266A69275015.jpg (890x468, 59K)

You think what individual people do in their retirement accounts have any significant impact on the market compared to institutional investors? What makes you think you know better than they do?

I love Trump as much as the next guy but you faggots need to get off the election high and open your eyes to macro picture. If anything, the elites would want a market plunge to blaim him and cost him an election or something

at this point it's guaranteed Trump will be presiding over the huge market crash coming later this year, or early next year

Why not crash it before the midterm then?

that extra liquidity will be sitting in rothschild's money pool by the end of the next business cycle.

Ok, let me see you put your money where your mouth is. You must have a 10x leveraged short on the market if you're this confident right?

>I have 100 years left in me to invest on the cusp of a major market downturn
>t. 176 year old boomer

>I'm going to buy Bitcoin, it's definitely the future
>t. 18 zoomer who bought in at 15k

dude. you need to see a doctor. i think you may be in a delusional psychosis. or i think you may be on somebodies payroll. or i think you may be a boomer

seeeeeething first year traders
Retards, you dont know jack shit about the spx so shut up

Attached: 1509749882008.jpg (125x120, 3K)

We have till November for those. If the fed is cutting its balance sheet at 50 billion per month versus 10, it’s going to get really rocky, especially after they have reiterated they will continue raising interest rates. Corporations are once again at record level debt which they took on in order to do stock buybacks. This debt will begin to cost too much and they’ll stop, and market will fly through the ground

you do realize that these charts are around for everyone to see. like...google it or something. numbers exist for a reason. it has already started. and plenty of people in this very thread are trying to help you, not hurt you

>buying internet meme money

Do you really think anyone who comes to discuss stocks is retarded enough to gamble with crypto?

nice fud. where'd you get it, Target?

You Peter Schifftards have been preaching this shit since 2012. We're always on the verge of collapse. How much gains have you missed out on so far?

off course, market crashes are a thing of the past they will never happen again this time its different

dude. again with the reference to 2012. its 2018. move on. nobody cares about 2012 and the majority of people here probably werent preaching shit 6 years ago

Made good money on the Canadian pot bubble and the NASDAQ so don’t you worry about me; the February crash caught my attention and realized it’s just the FANG stocks leading the market with buybacks. Without them, the market is moving sideways all year (see NYSE Composite)

See:The 10 year bull run is over. Trump kept the markets up a little longer with his tax cut acting as QE when the fed was going into QT

Judging by this chart, the current bull market which started in 2009 has a long way to go before it ends.
Super bullish for stocks.

That chart is there to show the significance behind how costly holding can be, not timing the market itself

Did you also think that the 10 year bull run was over during 1990 when Bush S.R was facing increasing government deficits and increased unemployment? If so you missed out on 4x gains during the 90s. Even if you "bought back in" right at the perfect time after the dot com bubble, you missed out on 2x gains.

did all the moontards from crypto come to stocks? Yeah I'm new to stocks also but I'm not bullish at all. I'm gonna be using my wagie checks to buy puts

ya because the economy of 1990 is the same as the economy of 2018 guys

He's right, most of the people should just buy a low cost index fund consistently over market cycles.
You can keep buying monthly with the same amount of cash for decades and don't spend a big lump sum at once. This way you buy more at the bottom and less at the top and you can ignore the timing in the market cycle.

This is called dollar cost averaging. Some people say it's a meme, but it delivers great results for passive investors. If you do this you basically don't even care what the market does.

But it was over, there was a correction in 1990 ending in 1991

It was only a 20% correction from the peak. If you truly thought the economy was crashing you would not have bought in.

...............brainlet

It was caused by the Invasion of Kuwait, as soon as America cleaned house it was perfect safe to invest, not sure what the problem here is

You mean besides the increasing unemployment numbers and crashing interest rates?

Unemployment due to what? More cost effective ways to produce things? And low interest rates mean it’s cheaper to invest by borrowing. Right now they’re rising which is rattling the market; almost every single time the fed raised rates, a crash proceeds after

Wait for the crash (2020)
Buy an index fund at a 70% discount
Enjoy

how long did it take you guys to learn to roll cigs well