Can someone seriously tell me why I need a fucking blockchain to track food?

I mean seriously why the FUCK would I care if I am not some california hipster with SJW friends and is a normal guy with a family?

Attached: 1459231199621.png (396x385, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cnn.com/2018/07/14/health/mcdonalds-cyclospora-parasite-outbreak/index.html
youtu.be/tfR7aixh1MM#t=13m40s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's a meme.

It's not about you or me. I remember EU passing some legislation on food delivery, stating the condition of it must be tracked, so the shops recieving it can check where it went wrong.

So on bigger picture that is completely fine to do, since services will provide higher quality and throw away food that goes to shit during delivery.

I don't really care about the whole thing, but that's how I remember things were in November 2017 when I was checking up what Modum does. Now the new crypto is Ambrosium I guess?

tl;dr you don't have to care about it, it just goes hand in hand with EU legislation and blockchain tech can handle this shit, even though we don't need it.

So why would they need an expensive blockchain for this? Don' tell me "Hurr durr no manipulation", since of course the worker scanning something can manipulate the input data anyway.

>So why would they need an expensive blockchain for this?

They dont, but knowing EU Gov they'll probably buy that shit anyway

You don't need blockchain tech for this, as stated. However, why the fuck not and try do something like this with it. It's still young and has a lot of development in future. Nobody really knows when new Vitalik is going to be born and actually do something sweet.

>the worker scanning
The worker scanning will be a robot in almost all instances.
The worker programming the robot to falsify data would be participating in a large scale manipulation scheme and risking sanctions for the company as a whole.

Everything still fine before those retard ultility coins show up and claiming that they are sovling some problem but in fact there wasn't any problem from the begining.

"will be"? says who? amazon is very hi tech but still use a lot of workers

this stupid "In 10 years X will occur" thinking hurts blockchain space

Fake Chinese honey needs to be checked, honey gonna be a big business in the future when most bees die out and it's seen as a luxury item. Most honey in the US is Chinese and mixed with sugar/corn syrup, only a few "organic" ones are from American beekeepers.

Similar for fish, seafood will be hard to obtain past 2050 without paying a high price. A lot will be contaminated with plastics or other shit.

Do you want horsemeat in your lasagna?

It would be a terrible idea because then people for example Quality Control technicians couldn't fudge their numbers. And boy, do I know something about number fudging....

AMBGANG AMBGANG AMBGANG

problem not really blockchain, having turn key giant immutable ledger for whole supply chain makes sense

The real ??? Is why you need a supply chain coin for this

you dont

The all knowing Google AI god needs your data to take care of you. What did you eat, where are you going, what are you thinking. everything will be tokenized blockchain data. You cannot escape your fate, warriors of purgatory.

food is tracked already with pieces of paper which is then typed into a computer, or maybe even with barcodes which are scanned at different points.
the blockchain is just a unalterable version of this.
when an animal is killed it is recorded on the blockchain, when it is transported it is recorded with the temperature of the van and the journey time recorded. when it is processed the batch numbers of the meat is recorded and the length of time it is not in refrigeration is recorded. the journey to the supermarket is recorded. every part of the process is recorded from field to shelf, so that if something goes wrong it can be tracked back and other potential sources of things going wrong can be found. a few years a go there were green peppers int he USA which caused an e.coli outbreak and hospitalised people. if the food blockchain existed and everything were on it then the Food Health Agency or equivalent would look at the code on th packet of green peppers, know when and where it came from, who touched it along the way, what other batches were in contact etc, and who had bought them, so they could issue a health alert/recall to specific places instead of saying "don't eat green peppers for the next month" to the whole of the USA. it isn't really for direct consumer benefit, but to meet government traceability regulations. a burger from McDonalds goes through all this shit too as well as prime Wagyu beef. if you haven't worked in the food trade or food retail, then most people have no idea about the regulations that must be met and recorded.

so why not just a write only centralized database with private keys ?

You can just use a private ledger for that.

>he doesn’t know about the billions lost in counterfeiting and the trillions in antitrust litigation that happen every year.

user you’re not going to make it. Supply chain management is a huge deal. Everyone should have some Cardano in their portfolio.

not saying SCM is not a good idea, I wonder why a stupid blockchain with it's own fucking token is needed

I guess it's possible to make an argument for different governments that want to use different regulations and shit independently of who's updating it? But then you're back at the start because it can make sense for someone for whatever reason to fuck things up by spamming or whatever.

Gutter grease.

The end.

People nowadays want to know where the shitty byproducts are coming from...being able to track down every single shit to charge and blame anyone who fails...but i see it a good opportunity / use case in art, luxury goods like watches and shit.

cnn.com/2018/07/14/health/mcdonalds-cyclospora-parasite-outbreak/index.html

Because it's more cost efficient for companies to at the same time:
- have a standardized common database
- not having to host their own tracking database

The real question is: why do you need a token for that? Especially when it's based on Ethereum.

Because you can have stakers running nodes making sure that you can constantly and instantly update the ledger with no server maintenance in an irreversible fashion that is utterly invoice free. Blockchain supply management is one of the most obvious use cases of the tech that is superior to what exists. The problem with biz is thst it is too busy looking at moonshots and niche use cases and it just ignores the obvious big project,Cardano. Jow Forums is the guy that will skip the Uber ipo because he’s waiting for Juno to launch.

I think its more about quality control and they are just shilling the "where does your food come from" to normies. Most farmers get contracts based on the quality and consistency of foods produced. Changing temperatures, pesticides, sustainability agricultural practices etc all have a effect on the taste and quality of the food. If you could control and pay.

For example:

Some vegetables get "shocked" with fluctuating temperatures and produces as bitter taste as a result, if you could verify the entire process the food went through you could essentially eliminate having "bad" vegetables in you store.

Did you ever hear of virtual machines? Just run 3 AWS nodes doing this. Still no answer to why a token is needed, just sign a message on ethereum ?

OK, still don't understand why a stupid token is needed.

There are many countries where amazon can not operate senpai.

Lol IDK you asked a different question originally.

ok so use what can operate there. Mysql clusters bro

Lots of work fren. A decentralized blockchain makes it uniform across everywhere. That’s the value.

if youve ever had salmonella you might see the value. in the US, outbreaks basically dont get sourced until all the damage is done

Blockchain actually can't ensure that there is no fraudulent behavior along the supply chain, how exactly would it do that?

A blockchain is a closed system, in which transactions are proofs, and where new proofs are derived exclusively from existing proofs. A previous transaction commits to a carefully-crafted number, and a future transaction reveals an associated number that can only be produced from the knowledge of a secret hinted at in the commitment.

This mechanism -- this axiomatic system -- has turned out to be eminently suitable for monetary systems, i.e. cryptocurrencies.

However, it proves claims only about itself.

Cryptocurrencies demonstrate nicely that the essence of money is purely an abstraction, i.e. money lives in its own abstract world.

However, a blockchain will never be suitable to prove claims about the real world, if only, because it is impossible to prove anything about the real world.

Billions of dollars are being wasted right now on blockchain projects that attempt to prove claims about the real world. By adding just one real-world data element into a blockchain, it will no longer prove anything anymore.

It's all a big meme.

i got something for you user... you ready?

... decentralized oracles ...

To elaborate, here in the UK there was a scandal a few years ago when it was found that the "beef" in some of our food was actually horsemeat from Romania.
Cant really see how blockchain tracking would have prevented this. The Romanians would have still lied about the meat content.

Yeah, guess what... humans still have to interact with them for them to report any data anywhere. You think an oracle can actual confirm the origin of something being shown to it?

>how would a decentralized oracle system prove the origin of data gathered from web APIs?
lol

DT engineer here. Do you actually know anything about the subject matter? Sounds like you're just parroting buzzwords you've heard in youtube videos.

For example, when you say "data gathered from web APIs", if we apply that to supply chain for food, what actual data is being reported via these APIs? Think about the actual data structure. What information is being conveyed? And how is it originally inputted into the system?

We're talking about FOOD grown on a FARM at some point, picked up by human cargo traffickers and transported to various distribution centers where they are handled by human beings. Every stop is going to be recorded and verified by human beings, and each one of those hand-off points introduced new threat vectors.

Data engineer**

there was e coli in the romaine lettuce early this year, got a ton of people sick.
if the transactions were signed and immutable, they could track exactly where it came from down to the supplier by just looking at the blockchain. instead it took them 3 weeks to figure out just the general area and in the meantime you just couldn't buy romaine for fear of getting the bad batch

shitters who don't understand computers happen to also be the ones trying to tell others how computers work.

why did you think i was talking about human input lol

>just run 3 aws nodes
and if you lose connection to the nodes? if the nodes get hacked or ddos'd? if you don't want to rely on amazon?

>why do you need a token
because running a node costs money
if you take away the token you essentially wind up with a private centralized network.
the whole goal here is the supply chain is transparent and highly accessible

>the real question is why you need a calculator when people can add with pencil and paper just fine

all of this is really day 1 of intro to blockchain 101.
>the problem with biz is thst it is too busy looking at moonshots
for 95% of coins in the present crypto market, the investor himself is the product. they focus on marketing vaporware, doing """airdrops""" and announcing """partnerships"""

>cardano
yes, it's over half of my portfolio.

Where do you think the data comes from

>impossible to prove anything about the real world

you're a data engineer but probably the stupidest person itt

Attached: 1514438145162.jpg (1024x681, 114K)

The idea is that, as of now, say a disease outbreak occurs. By the time it is traced to the source the damage has already been done and on top of that people can just falsify info. With a blockchain people could still falsify info but it will Ben immediately traceable. So and so says meat is good, turns out the meat is bad, instead of it taking a week to track this shit down and figure out where the falsified info was given you can immediately track it on the blockchain and see where someone haven bad info. Or, due to the sensors, you can see how it was improperly transported if that's the case.

>recorded
how do you know the data input is legit?

This is exactly what I'm trying to get across.

People think "putting shit on the blockchain" somehow proves anything about that shit.

For this to "prove" anything, the system would need to have tamper-proof machinery and sensors that did the entire job of farming the food from scratch to delivering it to a store shelf. The ENTIRE PROCESS would have to be done without human input by a closed-off system that could account for each step in the process.

This is not realistic.

Watch this guy speak, he gives a great example of how it's already worked. If I time-stamped it wrong start @ 13:40

youtu.be/tfR7aixh1MM#t=13m40s

crypto is a scam if you didnt already notice

it is, in about 75 years

BLESSINGS

Because it's on the blockchain! If the data isn't legit you can see who fucking gave you faulty info immediately and make them pay a fine or whatever. As of now the system is so shit it takes forever to find where the faulty info came from and by the time you find it it's some fucking Venezuelan scam artists that don't exist anymore. With the blockchain this shit won't happen because they'll be found out immediately. They'll say "hey this meat you sent me is trash but you put it was fine and the sensors picked up nothing weird en route so you obviously falsified this data". How do you guys not understand this.

I totally understand your theoretical idea, but the real world is so much more complicated than this, qnd you really don't understand the technological hurdle required to make something like that possible. A distributed database and some sensors aren't enough to stop people from finding ways to cheat the system... and anyone in technology can tell you that.

thats the average dude getting JUSTed by Vechain and related chinks scam. Technologically illiterate and too much money to throw around

You ever hear an e.coli outbreak you fucking tard. How about figuring out the source of the e.coli outbreak in seconds and tracing all the food distributed across the country that came in contact with the contaminated sample.

Jesus you kids are fucking idiots.

seriously... at best, these ideas can reduce some overhead in the processing of information, but it's not going to guarantee the integrity of that information

use database ?

see you can do that already
there are many national and international players in this field
its completely segmented even inhouse-solutionwise
yes, qa and supply chain in general is a interesting usecase for blockchain applications
but none of this retarded scamcoins and their conman leaders will break into this market
forget it
t. qa-engineer

The database as of right now is literally fucking trash it's like you guys have no idea what you're talking. Right now tracking that info down in a WEEK is considered fast, with blockchain it will be traceable in seconds. Current supply chain method is half recorded on paper and half on a computer and it's 100% inefficient.

If this is true then how come these outbreaks still constantly happen and the person to blame isn't found for a fucking month. If the system needs no upgrade then why has this shit been happening over and over again?

because shit happens all the time and a "blockchain" won't prevent a worker from coughing on your spinach
the fucking month is only the time until it hits the media due to legal covering etc
we know the source of the outbreak very fast
in fact, we are required by law to do so
most of the total shitshows are in shithole countries or farmers market style hippie productions

The blockchain won't prevent the bad product, no. It will just make finding the source for it much much easier. The way you say it all of the info on current supply chain issues is just blatantly not true I guess? Where do you work where you know so much more than the people trying to revolutionize supply chain methods? Why have I read information that says currently it takes a week to find who's at fault when really according to you it is already known instantly?

>Where do you work where you know so much more
i work for one of the biggest multinational food retailers and worked as a qa-consultant for one of the biggest consultant companies before that
>than the people trying to revolutionize supply chain methods?
who is that? scamcoin ceo's? they want to sell you something
>Why have I read information that says currently it takes a week to find who's at fault when really according to you it is already known instantly?
because they want to sell something i guess?
if we would need over a week to find the source of contaminated meat for instance, we would be broke a hundred times because of the lawsuits and bad pr following that incidents

listen, there are many players advertising their solutions with big backing from important national and multinational industry stakeholders
there is a lot of competition in this field even without scamcoin solutions
i don't say blockchain is useless for this matter ( in fact the opposite)
just saying you won't become rich from a amb/tefood/whatever scammasternode

>I work for
Then say who. You're giving out no confidential information and you're anonymous. No reason you can't say who you work for. I'm as skeptical as anyone when it comes to these solutions actually being adopted and used, but to say it wouldn't improve the process is ridiculous. Also first you say it's not needed, now you say it's beneficial. Maybe IBM or whoever will just take over and dominate this shit, so be it. You have been saying blockchain is pointless for this but now you're saying it isn't but scamcoins will make no money anyway. Just confirm you are a larper and a fudder.

i don't have a vps here so i won't give out personal information
and of course i don't give out confidential information, i'm not crazy
qa is all about risk avoidance, maybe i'm marked by my profession
i really don't care if you believe me or not since i have no interest/nothing to gain from you buying or selling whatever, i really don't care
just giving a small insight from my professional experience
i never said blockchain is pointless, just that there are already widely used solutions without a blockchain who work good enough for most players
you have obviously no idea how segmented this industry and the stakeholders are

The question isn't whether the "widely used solutions without blockchain" "work good enough." It's whether an alternate solution using blockchain will increase efficiencies enough to cause a paradigm shift based on economics.

>ITT incel neets and McDonald wagies stuck into everyone is le brainlet but me mindset struggling with the concept of business assurance

just create a public API with JSON response ?

>to cause a paradigm shift based on economics
sounds smart but again:
>you have obviously no idea how segmented this industry and the stakeholders are