What do programmers do on a daily basis?

Say you have a programming job, what do you actually do on a day to day basis? I don’t really know what programming is tbqh, I only took an entry level CS class in college and we learned Matlab, I literally didn’t attend one lecture so I don’t really know what programming is.

Is there like a new project everyday? In my Matlab class we had to create a “script” that would take in a list of materials and their associated hardnesses and densities and then a user would input the parameters they wanted for a material and your program would return the name of the material. Is that really all programming is? What’s a database? What’s SQL and PHP and all these other words people use? Can someone just explain them in normal words instead of weird jargon that I always see people use online?

Attached: FF7D1E62-79A1-4F02-85C1-C5D2757AF97F.png (225x225, 20K)

> I only took an entry level CS class in colleg
> I literally didn’t attend one lecture
There's your problem, moron.

You mainly close tickets, do code review, and report items to QA.

Stick with small companies, you wear more hats.

Programmers are as easily replaceable as the code they write.

how much time is spent actually writing code?

>Programmers are as easily replaceable as the code they write.

Lol no, uness you want to hire pajeet shitskins who write pajeet code.

We don't get paid $100k/year because we're expendable you cuck.

>can someone just explain an entire profession in normal words instead of weird jargon

lmao you are one dump ass fucking brainlet.

>he only gets paid 100k a year

Maybe in companies that only do consulting work. Companies that only sell a few products usually don't replace their programmers frequently because it takes time train new hires to know the codebase.

you are fucking retarded, just kys

Maybe don't skip lectures brainlet

I get paid 200k+ to build and maintain robust software systems for one of the largest tech companies.

It's boring, you write a bit of code but mostly look in to other people's code trying to find where they fucked up some logic.
>SQL
literally an excel sheet. each column represents some type of data. for example you have a "person" table with "age" and "name" columns. you can write SQL commands like "give me all entries with names starting in 'A' and age above 30" etc. Basically querying entries in a database.
>PHP
retarded language to write server side code (the code that gets executed when you send requests to servers - for example every time you click a button on a website some code is executed on a server that then responds by showing you a different page or something)

I never report shit to QA. Bugs are not my fucking problem.

>SQL
You would be suprised how many coders cannot write even the most simple queries...

>CS
Programmers did CE

desu sql queries are different than standard programming in the same way functional languages are different than imperative ones, so no wonder. It goes take some experience to get used to it.

Yes, it’s me who is dumb for asking a simple question and not expecting 400 weird acronyms in the answer because programmers can’t seem to communicate like normal humans. Fucker.

Well I read the textbook and that also contained fucking zero insight. The teacher was autistic as fuck and weird, I knew people in the class as well as people that took it before me and he wasn’t helpful because they knew less than or the same as me about programming (meaning zero).

Depends on the company, usually in an agile workflow you will have specific items to do each week - Development of a feature, bug fix, code review - and there is a short planning every morning to keep track of progress, impediments etc.

Ultimately though, you just spend a lot of time in front of the computer coding.

No one can do what they haven't learned in the first place.

its boring if youre a programming employee*

because then youre not an artist. youre a cog.

its not boring though if youre doing your own side projects. youre literally creating things from nothing, howevery you want

It's true to some extent. Working on your own projects is way more fun, but there's always plumbing and piping to do in any serious project so it can still become dull and boring.

sit in meetings and surf on reddit and tell PMs they are wrong

write 50 lines of code maybe

>what is an ORM

Attached: 1528603493010.gif (499x499, 1.03M)

>CS course in matlab

Literally all gui

Seriously?

They build what their BA tells them to

>it's boring [...]
4 u.

Meetings.
Code 40% of the day.
I work on the LAMP/LEMP stacks at agencies.
You can't do much productive PHP without knowing SQL.
You don't get to make things you want.
You have an estimate/deadline you have to hit.