/lang/ - Language Learning General

Well rested edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the wiki before asking in the thread
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Modern Greek
>What language should I learn?
Cypriot Greek

Attached: morning_pepe_by_rpglord-dbbus2k.png (400x400, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lingojam.com/CalconianLanguage(KalkonNépras)
micronations.wiki/wiki/Calcontian_language
youtube.com/watch?v=jdSEKZJ1yT4
youtube.com/watch?v=zkYJYrYFVz8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>page sven

slow day today eh

I'm gonna write up a challenge to start the thread off

based burger

rip

Attached: rip.jpg (341x1005, 117K)

A challenging challenge:

Some would call this easy
>The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
>She hit the cow.
>We washed the dishes.
>The vending machine is broken.
>Please sit down.

Some would call this medium
>He hit the shark in the nose, stunning it for a moment.
>I can't feel my legs.
>I overslept and missed the train.
>A caterpillar turns into a butterfly.
>I stood in line for food.

This hard, right?
>The Ides of March is a day on the Roman calendar that corresponds to 15 March. It was marked by several religious observances and was notable for the Romans as a deadline for settling debts. In 44 BC, it became notorious as the date of the assassination of Julius Caesar which made the Ides of March a turning point in Roman history.
>A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr phrase for "I don't understand you." According to this legend, Cook and Banks were exploring the area when they happened upon the animal. They asked a nearby local what the creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature. This myth was debunked in the 1970s by linguist John B. Haviland in his research with the Guugu Yimithirr people.

F

Some would call this easy
>The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Lejonet, Häxan och Garderoben
>She hit the cow.
Hon träffade kon.
>We washed the dishes.
Vi tvättade tallrikaren.
>The vending machine is broken.
varuautomaten är trasig.
>Please sit down.
Sitt ner tack.

Der Löwe, die Hexe und der Schrank.
Sie schlug die Kuh.
Wir haben das Geschirr abgewaschen.
Der Automat ist kaputt.
Setz dich bitte. / Setzen Sie sich bitte.

Er traf die Nase des Haies und betäubte ihn deswegen für einen Augenblick. (???)
Ich kann meine Beine nicht spüren.
Ich habe verschlafen und den Zug verpasst.
Eine Raupe verwandelt sich in einen/zu einem Schmetterling.
Ich bin Schlange gestanden, um Essen zu kaufen/holen.

Die Iden des März ist ein Tag im römischen Kalender, der dem 15 März gleicht. ...
Ein häufiges Missverständnis ist, dass der englische Name des Kängurus eine aboriginale Redewendung war, die "ich verstehe dich nicht" bedeutet. ...

>Lejonet, Häxan och Garderoben
You don't have to capitalize the nouns (expect at the beginning of the sentence). Otherwise it's fine.

>Hon träffade kon.
Hon slog kon. Träffa means meet.

>Vi tvättade tallrikaren.
Vi diskade tallrikarna/disken. Tvätta means to wash something in a washing machine.

>Sitt ner tack.
This is fine. If you want to, you can say "Sätt dig ner" as well.

Good work. Keep it up!

Thank you for the corrections. The first one is meant to be the title of a book. Am I allowed to capitalize it then?

Just curious, but how long have you been studying? Or are you a Swedish person currently in Iran?

>The first one is meant to be the title of a book. Am I allowed to capitalize it then?
Oh yeah, the Narnia book. I didn't think of that. I think either way is fine then.

>Or are you a Swedish person currently in Iran?
Yes, I'm a native Swedish speaker.

That's cool. What brings you to Iran, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry, I don't want to be rude but I'd rather not talk about it. It's cool that you are studying Swedish. Is there any particular reason why you choose that language?

No problem, you don't have to say. I chose Swedish because I was interested in learning a North Germanic language, and I have a few particular interests that are related to Sweden.

頑張れ!

Attached: believe.jpg (225x225, 9K)

reading a lot (translating as you go. easier level and raise as you progress) + watching videos (with subtitles) + broken speaking/typing is the only way to learn. Prove me wrong

>Some would call this easy
>>The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Το Λιοντάρι, η Μάγισσα kαι η Ντουλάπα.
>>She hit the cow.
Αυτή χτύπησε την αγελάδα.
>>We washed the dishes.
Πλύναμε τα πιάτα.
>>The vending machine is broken.
Ο αυτόματος πωλητής είναι σπασμένος.
>>Please sit down.
Κάθιστε, παραkαλώ.

Might do the rest later.

My English pronounciation is horrible. I always get mocked for it by my friends, so I never speak unless it's really necessary. It really is a vicious circle.

/lang/-friends, what are some good ways to improve your pronounciation?

>what are some good ways to improve your pronounciation
talk into a microphone with replay

I barely practice Japanese
Their culture is just so damn boring

Learn IPA and see how words are pronounced more easily. Like for example

"example" -> /Jɡˈzɑːmpl̩/
"accompanied" -> /əˈkʌmpənid/

repeat what a native just said when you're watching/listening to stuff.

Hỉo ka. Mả chủfāq tỉ sa pó mí Tỏaq ga pỏq moq? Jảq pủjāo lú sỏq pủjūi hóa dêoq sa rái tì ní nò hói tỏaq da.

wtf, why does 4channel change pic related into a J

Attached: IPA.png (800x1693, 5K)

Thanks, guys! Solid advice.

I am still too stupid to do these in French :c Kill me please or pray that I improve in French.

What is the difference between a and ʌ, exactly? The example on Wikipedia makes ʌ sound like ə but those examples all sound off anyway.
I read some articles where linguists theorised about the presence of ʌ in Slovene but came to the conclusion that it's there but nobody can hear it (which raises the question of what the point of it is, then) so it's a mystery sound to me.

Amazing this hasn't been bumped off due to all the new Zealand threads

Does anyone have experience with Assimil Dutch with Ease (or Assimil Niederländisch ohne Mühe heute for that matter)? Are there any Dutch learners here?

Ye irooni ki hollandi yad migiri? Salaam, chera holandi yad migiri?

Sorry, I don't speak Dutch. Just thinking of learning it after grasping German a bit better. Swedish is my mother tongue so it seems somewhat easy to learn to read. Speaking it is surely a whole other matter.

Nor do I speak Farsi. Silly mistake. -_-

My bad, flag memed me, didn't read earlier post. Also that's not dutch, that's persian
>An iranian who learns Dutch? Hello, why are you learning Dutch?

Attached: only the dead.jpg (251x241, 14K)

Yeah, I'm dumb. Sorry. :-(

Anyway, how well do foreigners generally pronounce Dutch? Seems tricky to learn.

They tend to do ok, though accents generally are noticeable. As for tricky to learn, you might be better off asking others who have learned or are learning, since being raised with it kinda skews your perspective.

From the easy challenge:

>Wuhêheq, dêhekpi kuna, bis todehig wumas.
>Vã hêvbi behekeq.
>Vaš demmik eki na lêpito.
>piši ki ni vogred.
>Meqa, kinato avar êg.

What language is this?

It's Calconian or Calcontian, my own made-up conlang

>lingojam.com/CalconianLanguage(KalkonNépras)

>micronations.wiki/wiki/Calcontian_language

>start learning language
>contemplate my choice the next day, stop learning and have another 3-month session of trying to decide which one to learn

Attached: eb7.png (638x359, 247K)

What would have guessed? I would like to know.

I was also the 102827772 ID btw

For some reason I first thought Kurdish, but then I figured it may be a Native American language. I googled one of the words and there were no results.
Êg qodim eto.

>Êg qodim eto.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

what does افا انت هنا خخخخ mean

'if you don't reply to this post your mother will die tonight'

Can someone explain to me how "based" is related to "good"?

>Hon träffade kon.
Depending on what 'hit' means there, this could be correct. Otherwise you have 'slog' like Iran-user said.

>Vi tvättade tallrikaren.
Vi diskade tallrikarna.
Although tallrik is dinner plate, so maybe we want a word for dishes in general (aka including glassware and silverware etc).
>Vi diskade disken.

>varuautomaten är trasig.
All correct but I've never really heard that word before. They're usually just called whatever they contain+automat, or simply automat. Which means colloquially it'd be "Automaten är trasig".

>Sitt ner tack.
Sounds a bit rude almost due to being so short and each word being a single syllable lel. I'd say something like "Var vänlig och sätt dig ner".

>Träffa means meet.
Not only. The actual gloss for 'hit' is 'träffa' (as well as 'beat' for 'slag'). The cognate and gloss of 'meet' is of course 'möta', even though 'träffa' is more colloquial.

>Tvätta means to wash something in a washing machine.
No, it simply means wash. You don't stick your car in a washing machine, do you?

Attached: skeptical thonk.png (112x112, 14K)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

>No, it simply means wash. You don't stick your car in a washing machine, do you?
Yeah, you're right of course. Thanks for pointing that out.

I wake up
Should I study German or go back to sleep like the neet I am?

Thank you for your corrections. That's interesting with the "automaten". I saw that word come up in my research but it just sounded wrong, and it wasn't in the official dictionary.

I'd like to apologize if my "corrections" made you confused. rightfully points as some mistakes I made. I guess it's harder to give proper feedback than I first thought, huh.

>we will never know what east germanic sounded like

I've been told my German sounds Dutch.

No worries. I appreciate you trying to help me.

Easy:
лeв, Beдьмa, Шкaф
Oнa пoбилa кopoлy
Mы пoмыли пocyдy
тopгoвый aвтoмaт cлoмaлcя
cидeтe пoжaлyйcтa

Medium:
oн пoбил нa нoc aкyлy, пoэтoмy oнa зaмepлa нeмнoгo вpeмeни.
Я нe мoгy чyвcтвoвaть cвoи нoги
Я пpocнyлcя cлишкм пoзднo и нe пoпaл пoeзд
гyceницa пpeвpaтитcя в бaбoчкy
я cтoял нa oчepeдь зa eдy
Hard:
No

that's what I would do if I had a time machine. I'd record old languages

You can actually find recordings of remakes of east germanic on youtube, how accurate that is, we dont know , and not sure how they actually remake the sounds from old texts

>page 8

Hanzi and Kanji aside, which language has the most complex orthograpy?

>I will never know what Jersey Dutch was really like
youtube.com/watch?v=jdSEKZJ1yT4

Attached: 1532637523137.jpg (794x751, 166K)

Fuck English. Why is there no you plural

>current year
>not saying "yous"

It's not normally an issue until you're looking up a translation and it gives you the plural when you need the singular or vice verse.

y'all, if you're southern.

we don't like your kinduh people heer, pardner

Attached: 1549653873022.png (675x675, 394K)

most importantly we will never know what east frisian sounded like since its been replaced by platt deutsch

that didely feelerino

youtube.com/watch?v=zkYJYrYFVz8

i dont know why but east germanic sounds greek

A lot of Gothic writings are translations of Greek texts and feature many Greek words, and the syntax often follows Greek patterns too

You is plural, thou ignorant bastard.

It's both

He was making a joke

Takes a slav to get a slav joke, huh?

No shit??!
I knew americans are kinda thick but c'mon

He's making a historical joke, you was the plural and formal role and thou was singular and informal, that's why he called referred to him using thou

>role
>called referred
I mean form* and referred* of course, I am phoneposting

>I am phoneposting
reee outta muh /lang/

Le lion, la sorcière, et la garde-robe
Elle a frappé la vache.
Nous avons fait la vaisselle.
Le distributeur automatique est cassé.

Il a donné un coup au nez du requin, l'étonnant pour un moment.
Je ne peux pas sentir mes jambes.
J'ai surdormi et raté le train.
Une chenille se transforme en un papillon.
Je fais la queue pour la nourriture.

bump

what's the best and most productive way to learn german

Not listening to C1 master race.

Attached: Lul.png (112x112, 20K)

thanks for the introduction sven cuck

and the answer for me was books, college textbooks to be exact, I used "treffpunkt" and "wie geht's " . write out all exercises and hear lots of german on easy german, write down words you dont know put them on anki . simple as.

Yeah I know we are in 2019 someone telling you to use a book sounds old fashion but theres no simple way around language learning.

CHINA

duolingo is only useful for learning the basic of the basic of the basic

What word does tvätta come from? Why do other Scandis say vaske?

who is qter, Heiko or Julia?

Attached: Untitled.jpg (1892x798, 344K)

>What word does tvätta come from?
Två, from Old Swedish 'þva', which is also whence words like 'tvål' (soap) and 'tvaga' (wash/clean) come from.
Root-cognates in other languages are for example Old English 'þwean', German 'zwagen' and English 'towel'.
Originally 'tvätta' (tvaga) seems to pertain to using hot water specifically to clean something, which is what you used for clothes with time so it stuck I guess.

>Why do other Scandis say vaske?
I'm not sure why they didn't develop a form of 'þva', so I can't say. But we of course have 'vaska' as well, and that is as old as PGmc; *waskaną ->
Old Norse: 'vaska' -> Swedish/Nynorsk: 'vaska', Norwegian/Danish: 'vaske'
Old English: 'wæscan' -> English: 'wash'
German: 'waschen'
etc
So it seems there are simply two forms, etymologically meaning different things (clean (water not implied) and wash (water very much implied)) but which have either become synonymous or been led on to completely new meanings, in Germanic langs.

Attached: PeepoDetective.png (112x112, 16K)

based and historical linguistics pilled

Ic þancige þé, fréond.

Attached: PeepoCheer.png (112x112, 9K)

Thanks for the (Þú) fren

Attached: vargpepe.png (439x346, 86K)

Oko me boli desu

>page 9

hi everyone I just stepped by to say that Dutch is a beautiful language

C1 master race can lick my balls

Attached: 1430984331031.jpg (231x244, 16K)

On Monday the Long march to JLPT N3 begins, got my practice test results and study plan all set, it's going to be a busy 8 months

Attached: DzdD73aVYAARCXA.jpg (648x932, 108K)

weeb

Just need a new challenge

Even If I was a fag like you, it wouldnt be possible to lick your non-existent balls

I hope you will socialize and go out this weekend and not shut in and study like a nerd