What do they think of each other?

Attached: Flag-Pins-Spain-France.jpg (400x320, 64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gascon_language).
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_Parliament
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

nothing

we don't think about each others and it's perfectly fine like that.

They used to bully us pretty bad back in the day.
>Philip II of Spain was a Roman Catholic king who hated Protestants, including the French Huguenots, and considered them heretics. He ordered his troops to kill any they found in the colonies. Therefore, in 1565, troops under Pedro Menéndez de Avilés notoriously massacred hundreds of Frenchmen around Fort Caroline in what is now Jacksonville, Florida. After capturing the fort and slaying nearly all his prisoners, Menéndez hung their bodies on trees, with the inscription, "Not as Frenchmen but as Lutherans." The massacre aroused indignation in France among Protestants and Catholics alike. The French king sent complaints to the Spanish court, but Menéndez and his associates, instead of being punished for the deed, received rewards and honors.
>Embittered by the cruelty and indignity that he had suffered from the Spaniards, de Gourgue determined to avenge the murder of his Protestant compatriots, though he was himself a Catholic. He sold everything he had and borrowed money from his brother Antoine to recruit a crew and charter three ships. He sailed to Cuba with two hundred men, never telling them the goal of their trip. Once in Cuba he made his intentions clear, and his crew approved his choice of revenge. Gourgue then moved to attack Spanish-held Fort Caroline, which they had renamed as Fort San Mateo, enlisting the aid of Fort Caroline's old allies, the Saturiwa and Tacatacuru clans of the Timucua Indians. The fort soon surrendered to de Gourgue's forces. The French and Indians killed the Spanish prisoners in retribution for Fort Caroline and other massacres of Protestants. They hanged the prisoners with the inscription, "Not as Spaniards but as murderers."

They ignore us, we envy them and have insults for them, like gabachos.

We don't think about each other much. Boomers wish we were more like the French, though.

We don't really think about them, compared to say Germans, Italians or Brits

we have better relationship with Portugal or Italy

we don't think about those either
have you ever heard someone mention Germans, Brits or Italians in real life, outside of say, Brexit?

you sound like a lower class person

I've been in spain twice and people were nice
Would like to come again

Yeah

you sound like someone who doesn't actually interact with people outside of Jow Forums

I like them

Don't like them. Africa starts at the Pyrenees.

what do Catalans in spen think about Catalans in Roussillon?

>spen
That's cute

I guess separatist catalans may have a mixed opinion of them, for once they want to unite all Catalan speaking people under one flag, they call it the "Països Catalans" but then French Catalans don't have any strong separatist movement so they probably think they are alienated.
Non separatist catalans probably don't have a strong opinion of them.

for some reason French Basque people also don't really have strong regional identity + the proportion of the population speaking it is far less than that of Spanish Basque.
are you Catalan too?

Never ventured further in Spain than Barcelona, but I enjoyed my time there. But yeah, I don't know if the locals enjoyed it as much as my friends and I.

Any Spaniard worth its salt pretends to dislike France in public but loves it secretly and would fight to protect it against *nglo invasors.

>but loves it secretly
nah

Pretty much this

Don't like them. Africa starts at the Pyrenees and ends at the Rhine

>name
opinion discarded kill yourself gomez no one likes you

I like them. I live near the border and visit them every summer.

Why though? Is there some kind of social stigma around the country of France? I know that Italians do the same thing, whereas people in France are very open about liking other countries, including Spain and Italy. I'm also pretty sure the ratio of people who choose Spanish over German in school is like 9 to 1.

No I'm not Catalan, but in Spain there's a lot of exposition to Catalan separatist thinking because they won't shut the fuck up the annoying faggots.
France after the French Revolution has always opted for centralism, the southern half of France didn't really speak French by the early XIX century, now the languages that were spoken there are dead or almost dead, France for example didn't allow education in another language that wasn't French, only by now some people are trying to support the regional languages of France, for example, the Gascon language is a regional language of France and a little tiny part of Spain, but it only has official recognition in the Catalan autonomy in Spain (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gascon_language).
In Spain, except under Franco, regional languages have been allowed to survive, in fact the Spanish speaker of Catalan and Basque region are relatively recent inmigrants there, because the industry was set up there during the XIX and XX, the local population never stopped speaking their language, and only when a lot of people inmigrated there and were kind of forced by Franco Spanish was spoken in Catalonia.

I fell in love with a French qt who died from a rare disease

Attached: 1552083281370.gif (500x223, 495K)

I truly think that all comes from the napoleonic invasion and all the changes that occurred in Spain derived from it.

Nah you're just not allowed to like countries that you're culturally close to you but also more successful than you, Portugal goes full tsundere with Spain too.

F

the best ally of Spain is latin America, except med the others around are enemies

My region belonged to Spain for a while but there's no traces of it

My condolences.
Makes sense, I guess. French speakers in Belgium hate us for similar reasons too.

LOL

shut up , i bet you are a catalan mutt asqueroso

Roussillon? Or one of the southern regions that were under the influence of the crown of Aragon?

yeah my prof said even naming children Catalan Basque names was prohibited under Franco and yet they were still secretly taught their languages.
>the Gascon language is a regional language of France and a little tiny part of Spain, but it only has official recognition in the Catalan autonomy in Spain
sad

Yes, most Catalan people changed their name to the Catalan version after Franco died, and they used the Catalan version in their daily life anyway, for example Artur Mas, a Catalan separatist politician still had his legal name being Arturo, the Spanish version, until recently but everyone called him Artur Mas.
Regional languages in the end can be a pain in the ass for many things, considering the money France has now I think they should step up and conserve their cultural heritage, but I can understand why French politicians pushed for centralism in the XVIII, XIX and XX century.

ye agreed, l can understand their "an indivisible Republic" policy and Japan doesn't really have a high ground when it comes to conserving regional languages though.

Attached: Abbé_Grégoire_by_Auguste_Bry.jpg (479x498, 191K)

>an indivisible Republic
"one indivisible Republic" seems to be a better translation

Franche-Comté

you guys never been to this places
>French Basque people also don't really have strong regional identity
are you fucking kidding me
french basques are chechen-tier tribals, they hate absolutely everything that doesn't comes from their mountains specially spanish basques and their gascon neighbors they are very anti-french but they know that without france their mountains will be a third-world country and they don't want to be stuck with their "brothers" from the other side of the frontier

same for catalans, they hate spanish catalans, they hate their languedocians neighbors, they always claim that roussillon "is not france" and shit but when they go in a foreign country they self identity themselves as frenchs and they will feel insulted if you say they are the same as spanish catalans, they see them

Thank god for Bodin inventing modern day sovereignty

My spanish bro, great post

Ah, lel. Of course.

>rousillon
>catalan identity
The only thing that could be described as remotely catalan on the french side is the cuisine, virtually noone younger than 60 speaks catalan and I haven't heard catalan in my village in years, thoose who try to larp about their catalan identity are just after either local politics or gibs from the local politicians.

Attached: 1549854084924.gif (396x216, 1.04M)

and how does it makes it different from spanish regional identities apart from the language ?

you can say that to all western country

The spanish catalans are serious about it with a non zero % support in the opinion.
The french version of the movement is composed of 3 and a half larping retards with virtually no support whatsoever.

How does the average person from Roussillon feel about being part of France though? Are they explicitly against independence?

Its not even that, the possibility of independance on the french side has never even been raised, literally noone gives a fuck about catalans and their catalunian project, doesn't help that the french side is like 30% imigrants.

I see.

please don't forget l'm comparing it to the Spanish Basque case, where their identity is burning to the point ETA was quite active, far more people speak the language, and regionalistic right parties account for almost half of their parliament
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_Parliament

what about the French case? firstly yes l remember people in mountainous areas still predominantly speak it, but as for those in cities people who can speak it is less than 10 %, although l don't exactly know how many live there but naturally many people are supposed to live in cities. their nationalist parties are almost meme tier, winning roughly 15 % in each election according to wiki. and yes l've been there. are you from there?

Fucking kino

The punchline is "his name? Albert Einstein"-tier, but it's something that actually happened, so yeah quite kino

Everything is kino, the brotherhood between protestants and catholics, the revenge expedition with the guy telling the crew at the last minute, the Indians joining in, and of course the punchline at the end.

Mm. Sucks that the brotherhood didn't actually exist outside of this one example and we ended up forcing our protestants into exile.

>3 and a half larping retards with virtually no support whatsoever.
/ourguys/

They could stop burning our trucks

Protestants aren't people.

>the brotherhood between protestants and catholics

do you mean that brotherhood that killed 2 million people in France?

>proceed to massacre the proddies yourself during saint quentin's day
What did the french meant by this?

> w-we hate the spanish basques
>provides safe haven for eta terrosists
Why did french basques mean by this?

Meant saint bartholomew massacre, got it confused with the battle where we cucked you lads.