/lang/ - Language Learning General

>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Norwego-Swedish
>What language should I learn?
Dano-Swedish

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: based and redpilled.png (582x522, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bmh3CITB!2fTp9NFf3vMrLB-YO43pLoCyHMQHXjDM5wnGilUgD2w
youtu.be/c3ZvjTHpb1A
pastebin.com/T7ur3HRp
youtube.com/watch?v=NiTsduRreug
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_orthography_reform_of_1996
youtube.com/watch?v=ajgcXZS7wUM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reminder that Danish, Norweigan and Swedish are different languages.

An understanding of spoken language:
>Norwegians understand 88% of the spoken Swedish language and 73% of the spoken Danish language
>Swedes understand 48% of the spoken Norwegian language and 23% of the spoken Danish language
>Danes understand 69% of the spoken Norwegian language and 43% of the spoken Swedish language

An understanding of the written language:
>Norwegians understand 89% of the written Swedish language and 93% of the written Danish language
>Swedes understand 86% of the written Norwegian language and 69% of the written Danish language
>Danes understand 89% of the written Norwegian language and 69% of the written Swedish language.

Attached: 1503749880564.png (383x279, 59K)

>Why yes, I'm Norwegian...

Based.

Attached: gigachad staring at you.jpg (1080x1266, 85K)

if you consume anime you almost certainly do not have the resolve to learn a language

I'm the user working on the Classical Chinese deck from a thread ago. Here's my deck prototype for anyone interested. It presumes a little bit of background in Mandarin and goes up to the first line of the Analects: you should be able to use it if you have around 500-600 characters and very comfortably if you have 1000 or more. Let me know if there's anything I could improve.
mega.nz/#!bmh3CITB!2fTp9NFf3vMrLB-YO43pLoCyHMQHXjDM5wnGilUgD2w

Whats a good place to start learning finnish

A little statement on intent. I've tried to get all the grammar needed for the first line of the Analects and most of the grammar needed for the first chapter into 40 easily-digestible cards (presuming some modern Chinese background.) Each concept should have more than one example illustrating it, and that fortieth card—the first line of the analects—should be fairly transparent by the time you get to it. Let me know if anything's unclear at all.

Xth for reaching C1 in Old English should be our goal

youtu.be/c3ZvjTHpb1A

Attached: F-f-f-f-f-forward, lads.jpg (911x553, 54K)

bumper

Also, here's my source, if anyone wants to convert this to another eastasian language, which would probably be pretty easy:
pastebin.com/T7ur3HRp

I am not learning Chinese, but respect buddy.
Are you from China?

I'm not, but I'm HSK6 certified with a degree in Linguistics (I know, I know, rest assured it's not my only degree,) and I've gone back and forth through the Chinese classics. Nonetheless, recognizing my own fallibility, I've tried to use extant material rather than writing things in myself where I can.

很黄很暴力

Cool, good luck with creating your deck.

What level of proficiency do you think Assimil will get me to in German?

Based
Cringe

>a Crote in the thread
Based

hope you've all watched based Steve Kraschen
youtube.com/watch?v=NiTsduRreug

what the hell mann
are you the fella that's trying to learn like 4 languages
how do you manage

Attached: 1448297820893.jpg (543x499, 15K)

I hope you're using 1950's Assimil and not modern, super-slow paced Assimil. Might as well use Duolingo instead of Modern Assimil.
The answer, like any other textbook, is that it'll provide a comprehensive basis for you to keep learning. That basis will be better with Assimil than elsewhere, but real natural comprehension and production will come only with extended exposure.

I am not lmao, I am learning one and maintaining two while trying to learn about the historical details of one of those I am maintaining

sven cuck btfo by based dinaric bull
reminder that no matter how many times you say it, it wont become true.

Attached: Lexical distance scandinavian dialects.png (697x355, 81K)

what is your opinion on "anglish" bascially autistic lads who try to make modern english have only germanic words?

>reminder that no matter how many times you say it, it wont become true.
Exactly, languages won't become dialects just because you say it often.

they say B2 on the cover sheet but most likely A2 kek

t. french learner using assimil at the moment , still on the passive phase

I own the spanish to french 1950s assimil , i read a few pages i dont see how the old one is faster paced

>reminder that no matter how many times you say it, it wont become true.

Not just me saying it, people who study langauges for a living say danish, swedish and norwegian are dialects of each other.

I've given you proof before , youve given me your butthurt

Attached: norway confirms soydish dialect.png (990x141, 17K)

Not my cup of tea desu fren, I dislike all forced purism and reforms. But I have nothing against people doing it as a conlang or a what if project

There's no significant difference with the Spanish one. German, Russian, and French, however, have a pretty big difference—just count the number of times you see the subjunctive in the newer ones. The older Russian one outright gets to Chekhov by lesson 70 or so.

>I hope you're using 1950's Assimil and not modern, super-slow paced Assimil. Might as well use Duolingo instead of Modern Assimil.
I just """""legally obtained""""" "Assimil - German with Ease". So 1, you're saying Duolingo is better than Assimil? And 2, how exactly is it slower? I plan on doing at least 1 lesson tonight and I don't want to end up using something ineffective

>Recent study lexical distance results show, Norwegian to have have the lexical distance to Swedish of 1.4.
>To put that into perspective the lexical distance from Spanish to Portuguese is 11
>Although we do acknowledge that lexical distance isn' t the only factor regarding the distance of a language
>The strength of this study shows us that even hearing comprehension was extremely high among Scandinavian dialects

fucking hell, what is there to even argue about

Look for German without Toil (the old assimil) instead, user, do a quick a/b comparison, and thank me later. It's easy to find with just a google search: it should be on the first page.
I was being facetious about Duolingo. The new Assimil's still probably better than that.

Will I end up sounding like German Boomer using the 1950s version or is it all pretty much the same still?

You're not going to end up sounding like anyone or anything until you actually start speaking the language actively, so don't worry. Maybe some casual language has changed, but that's really not what Assimil teaches.

How do you get yourself to start working through a book...

>>Swedes understand 48% of the spoken Norwegian language and 23% of the spoken Danish language
Not really, I don't understand norwegian at all

wait up lads, i dont want to be the honey bear of bad news but germany had a spelling reform in the 90s , old assimil german probably and worth it for that reason

Are you deaf

No, it just sounds strange and annoying.

I don't tolerate anti-Norwegian sentiment, hell seger

but it clearly shows how Norwish is superior

Attached: 1447890637428.png (237x332, 91K)

>typical sven cuck defending his dialect by pretending to be a brainlet that cant understand another dialect

meanwhile in real life...

Attached: Norway confirms swedish to be a dialect.png (1274x425, 46K)

I want to learn the clusterfuck of a language that is Polish.

How do I go about this. What are the best resources to use?

Ok, then it's based
Yeah and our dialect is the superior, get fucked Sven Göran

So basically just use new Assmil.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_orthography_reform_of_1996

My plan is this though:
>Do Assimil and Duolingo at the same time
>After I finish both courses, start reading/watching German media
>After that, start speaking with Germans through text and skype

Attached: Capture.png (1714x443, 73K)

basado y rojo pastillado

>I've given you proof before , youve given me your butthurt
You've given me opinions of people, most notably yourself, not facts.
>hurr some linguists think this and that
Yeah, great fucking proof. Meanwhile, other linguists, as you can see better such (otherwise the classifications would change), as well as people actually studying any of the languages, and the Scandinavians themselves, are in agreeance that the languages are just that: languages. What goes wrong in your head is thinking that a decent amount of mutual intelligibility somehow erases that fact and that the languages are suddenly dialects. Along with that, you evidently lack the understanding of what a dialect is to begin with since you even make this weird ass claim.

Whereas I on the other hand have explained exactly why you are wrong but you refuse to listen every time. If you were right, you'd be able to break down my explanations and counter what I say, but you don't because you can't. All you do is strawmanning me and posting screenshots from Jow Forums and links to a literal Sweden promotion agency (Svenska institutet) website.

I'm really tired of you, and maybe that's your goal with spewing this garbage; to annoy me. I don't know, but if so then you have succeeded. Congratulations. You managed to piss off one guy in /lang/ for no reason whatsoever.

Attached: about Scandi.png (1609x304, 39K)

Watch based Steve Kraschen. As much comprehensible input as you can from day one is the best idea. Don't rush speaking.

>It's another dialect episode

>le norwegian is west norse bedtime story

No just no, and it hasnt been since denmark colonized norway, now stop using this argument as a reason why Norwegian is it's own language.

Also I have yet to receive a single article from you written by a linguist claiming swedish, norwegian and danish are indeed separate languages.

I’ve even posted a picture from a book I have
It argues that Danish and Swedish’s shouldn’t be regarded as “nabosprog”
It focuses on Danish and Swedish though

See, this is exactly what I mean. You don't give a shit about anything anyone says to counter your bullshit, you just pull a strawman and continue on. And that is why we are done here. Goo- no, actually... bad day to you, sir.

Attached: tired.png (128x123, 17K)

ek Anonastiz Anonijaz posta tawidō

Attached: Proto Norse.jpg (1026x419, 96K)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

I gave up on trying to learn new languages.

I will not stand for learning abitrary, illogical grammatical genders - they're so fucking stupid and pointless. I'm also not interested in learning the tongues of backwards ass countries and places that I disrespect and would never wanna live in, like China, the entirety of Africa, the Middle East, the Americas or Southeast Asia.

Which leaves me with what? Stupid, worthless micro-states with meme languages like Finnish, Estonian or my own. All because I have SOME standards, but not a whole lot.
This world is a disgrace.

Attached: 1509843488571.jpg (600x600, 88K)

Then why are you here if you're too weak and unwilling to learn?

Attached: image0.jpg (684x547, 55K)

nords mostly claim their languages are different because they desire to inflate their language count

Attached: 10401f78.jpg (1800x1578, 160K)

Nice flags

Thanks frend

Attached: porin.jpg (3667x2750, 2.55M)

Decided to learn Arabic.

Well I was willing to learn, but as I was studying German earlier, I realized just how little I was enjoying myself and how intensely frustrating the entire process was. Then why do it at all? Just because I have a knack for learning languages?
Shut up, I hate you Finns. Your language would be perfect to learn, but you had to live on the fucking north pole. Your people are probably cold and distant, impossible to befriend, like all Nordics. Your cuisine is likely bland and joyless, and I could never make my home there.

Hard to befriend but once you do it's a lifelong genuine commitment. We don't like "disposable friends", we don't like anything that's done in vain. Finland in the summer is excellent, you should give it a try. That's the only time of the year we have to be lively and alive, usually so much so that we need the long and dark winter to recover and refuel.

Attached: 1551078404397.png (1169x1080, 81K)

Never mind height, I wanna know /flag/'s dick sizes (no homo). Who has the micro dick?

>tfw wrong general

based. that's on my to-do list.

1. Finish up Russian
2. Finish up spanish
3. Arabic
4. Mandarin

>page 9

this is what I mean you just get butthurt and call me names, lel, I give you links to studies and articles and you just complain like "but why dont you take me seriously wahhh!!'' , simply because i take only facts seriously not just something butthurt sven says. until you provide me with proof Im not going to listen to you simple as

Asked in the nederdraad but they‘re a bunch of useless friendless unpleasant attention whores
Hope there are dutchfags or dutch-speakers who don‘t post in nederdraad:
Why is it called het erfelijk materiaal instead of het erfelijkE materiaal like het mooie huis? Thank you so much in advance, heard this is only non-cancer general so I‘m praying someone will explain.

bump

Where are the Israelis reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

hiding

>he doesn't learning langs solely through reading bilingual texts etched on granite stone millennia ago

Where is the new challenge?

How can the difference be so big?

You want a challenge? As you wish:

Easy for me
>I like this flavor.
>Never mind, I hate it.
>I ran out of coffee.
>The light is off.
>The window is open.

Medium for you
>You get what you pay for.
>His mother is mad at him.
>You're going to miss me when I'm gone.
>It's too late to apologize.
>Swedish is a popular language to learn among cool people.

Hard for everyone
>The Trans-Siberian Railway is a network of railways connecting Moscow with the Russian Far East. With a length of 9,289 kilometres (5,772 miles), from Moscow to Vladivostok, it is the longest railway line in the world. There are connecting branch lines into Mongolia, China and North Korea. It has connected Moscow with Vladivostok since 1916, and is still being expanded.

Attached: Golden-1-featured-400x250.jpg (400x250, 46K)

Why are people here so autistic? I can understand Norwegians and my Swedish is far from native level.

Here’s a little interview where two people speak their Scandinavian dialects and understand each other perfectly. Honestly though, it’s just Greta Thunberg being much more intelligent than the average s*etoid.

I'm watching this Mumin video and the narrator makes Swedish sound like Finnish

i cant even translate the "hard for everyone" in my mother language

Easy for me
>I like this flavor.
Jag tycker om den smak
>Never mind, I hate it.
Aldirg, jag hater det
>I ran out of coffee.
Jag sprang ut äv kaffe
>The light is off.
Ljuset är avstänged
>The window is open.
fönstret är öppet

även the aliens lära sig svenska nu?

*lär

ayy lmao vi är de nya vikingarna

Fennoswedish sounds like that lmao.

Lär sig till och med utomjordingar svenska nu?*
:^)

>question mark flag
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

>Jag tycker om den smak
den här smaken*
also would have personally used gillar here 2bh

>Aldirg, jag hater det
Glöm det, jag hatar den. (assuming that 'it' pertains to the flavour in the previous sentence)
Glöm det means 'forget it' and is used for both that expression/command and 'never mind'.
Also, some typos you made: aldrig*, hatar*

>Jag sprang ut äv kaffe
Jag fick slut på kaffe. Springa means run, the physical movement.
Also, it's the second time you spell 'av' with ä, lel.

>Ljuset är avstänged
Lyset är släckt. (assuming light pertains to lamps or other lighting devices)
Colloquially you could still use ljuset though.

>fönstret är öppet
gorrecto :DDDD

Attached: apusmug.png (112x112, 19K)

What's the difference between "även" and "till och med"?

Additional note: avsky ("despise") might be the better verb when it comes to hating flavours/edibles/drinks, but that's just me, hata still works just fine.

Attached: aputhonk.png (112x112, 15K)

based
youtube.com/watch?v=ajgcXZS7wUM

what are your guys' favorite historical sound changes in a language or group of languages?

Till och med is like 'even' in English, whereas 'även', despite being a cognate, is more like 'as well', save for in expressions where it functions identically to English such as "även om" ("even if").

thank you based Swede. I looked at your example and I was like "wtf "to/for and with"? the hell is this" and then realized "ah it must be one expression"

But as I post this I see that med can have the meaning
>2. including, containing, with; in addition to

and I looked at wiktionary and it says that "till och med" can have a meaning like "up to and including"

I still know nothing

Attached: a.png (553x569, 101K)

>Easy for me
>>I like this flavor.
Μου αρέσει αυτή η γεύση.
>>Never mind, I hate it.
Δεν πειράζι, την μισώ.
>>I ran out of coffee.
Ο kαφές έχει τελειώσει.
>>The light is off.
Το φως είναι σβηστός.
>>The window is open.
Το παράθυρο είναι ανοιχτό.

No spellcheck so accents are probably very off.

>thank you based Swede
np lad

>then realized "ah it must be one expression"
Yeah, till och med is a single phrase, often misspelled by natives as tillochmed because of it.

>and I looked at wiktionary and it says that "till och med" can have a meaning like "up to and including"
Yeah, often used with timeframes. Example:
>Jag är ledig till och med vecka 38.
>I'm free/available until week 38.

>I still know nothing
You should try some challenges so I can see how you compare to the other two learners in here.

Attached: apujoy.png (128x81, 12K)

>see how you compare
I learn shit in the wrong order. For example, I know that löpband is treadmill but I still can't count to 10. I'm just learning as I go

i-umlaut
>mouse / mice < mús / mýs < *mūs / *mūsiz
>dryht < *druhtiz

u-umlaut
>n. faðir /g. föður < n. *fadēr /g. *fadurz
>n. sg. stjarna > n. pl. stjörnur

lowering of stressed *u to *o
>daughter < dohtor < *duhtēr
>horn < horn < *hurną

*rhotacism /z/ > *Jow Forums
>were < wǽron *< wēzum
>n. genus > g. generis

loss if */z/ in West Germanic languages
>day < dæg < *dagaz (cf. Got. dags)
>son < sunu

loss of FINAL */z/ is what I meant at the end and rhotacism to Jow Forums, without the *

>eating the dessert before the entrée
Mirin taste in learning.

Always happens when you consume a lot of media in target lang. As a kid I knew the English names of every weapon under the sun before I could name vegetables other than carrots and cucumbers.

Not dutch speaker but I've heard it's normal to drop the -e when the adjective-noun phrase stands for a concept in itself and not just the composition of the adjective and the noun