Met a Normie today. Told me she doesn't like Bitcoin because MUH environment

She read that Bitcoin uses too much electricity and bad for the environment.

>Mfw this level of FUD actually works on people.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0M_pcoXBg
climeworks.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I mean what can you really expect from a normie?

It is bad for environment though.
Most people here just don't care.

I'm not super bullish on crypto but the environment is the least of my concerns.

Got some normies as well annoying me with that shit. How do I btfo them with arguments?

why tho?
I don't want them to buy in.

Attached: coolpepe.jpg (222x216, 8K)

what is proof of stake?

fucking normies are dumb

Attached: 1521972628282.png (900x900, 410K)

They're right though. Proof of work as a concept is not sustainable - and not just in the environmental sense of the word.

> bad for the environment
> factories that pollute the air and pay chinks pennies on the dollar to make bullshit material goods for her to spend her money on
> but muh bitcoin is bad for the environment

Wow user you sure showed her

>normie stacies eternally btfo haha god I'm so alone

Just explain to her that Facebook alone uses 1000x the electricity of bitcoin and that the complaint isn't up to the proportions.

> Source youtube.com/watch?v=Qk0M_pcoXBg

That's coming from an environmentalist too. I completely relate to her there. In fear of /Xfags crawling out of their holes I'm going to say that yes, actually global warming is a threat.

But you know what's better than using less electricity? Syphoning CO2 out of the atmosphere and selling it like this Swiss company already does.

climeworks.com/

We already have the technology to solve this problem, and it's more profitable than extracting the shit and shipping it all over creation. Because currently the way we get CO2 for our industries is to burn oil and collect the gas as it separates. With a syphon every industry could instead produce their own CO2 on site.

We could also you know, supplement with nuclear reactors and give uberfunding to fusion energy instead of bombing the shit out of each other all the time. Because once fusion happens post-scarcity economies are viable and humanity actually gets to ascend to the space faring race of gods it was always meant to be.

Under capitalism the zero marginal cost of production in a fusion empowered world makes everything but the most luxury products so cheap to produce that it doesn't make sense to charge for them anymore. In the same way you don't buy the air your breath now people won't buy food or clothing in the future.

And if a monopoly tries to charge for them, they'll face the same fate of companies who try to sell music when business models like spotify exist. If they are corrupt as fuck and use the state to artificially prop up their monopoly we invoke revolution, simple.

But no, that would be too easy.

Attached: 1524534488251.jpg (686x686, 175K)

Bitcoin's total electricity consumption is similar to that of Chile. And you better believe most of that electricity comes from burning Chinese coal.

They’re right. At the very least, it’s not a positive for Bitcoin. It’s one reason to not use it as a global standard currency/store of value/commodity/whatever the hell it is, but sure there are lots of reasons to use it too. I think it’s preferable to adopt one that doesn’t use use up a massive amount of electricity if given the choice (and these early days does give us a choice), between Bitcoin and one that’s more sustainable (like say XLM).

Both of those are true though.
POW is also less secure than well designed POS due to POW miner / mining pool power consolidation over time (every time). ASIC intellectual property certainly doesn't help matters either.

There is also the problem of being able to 51% attack a chain so long as you can mine a competitor chain afterwards with the hardware. Most relevant examples right now are BTC vs BCH and any smaller regular gpu mineable cryptocurrency aside from ethereum.
If you ruin a blockchain with POS, then your asset that you stake becomes worthless, and the asset that you might gain becomes worthless too. With mining, you still keep your mining hardware after fucking up everything for everyone else and ruining trust in the chain.

because bitcoin and other proof-of-work cryptos demand high electricity usage, miners will inevitably get to the point where they're developing things that we may imagine/interpret as on-site, small-scale failsafe nuclear power reactors that generate the electricity that they use for mining, as it will be much cheaper to do this than to move entire operations to places where (((taxes))) may be high but energy may be cheaper
such a device, having been conceived and created, could be reproduced and sold to consumers for any application that they may need; competition to produce a device at smaller and smaller levels would lead to breakthroughs in the scaling of such devices
now everyone has access to limitless, very efficient, low-waste and high-energy nuclear power
capitalism 101—if actual capitalism is allowed to play ball for once

Attached: 1521394963242.png (1542x594, 96K)

Did she walk away while checking her iphone

the consolodation of hashrates into a few mining pools will inevitably ease up with the coming of new ASIC manufacturers. we're really only eight years into bitcoin; to expect that one or two enterprises that will lead the way won't reign supreme in the initial stages of anything decentralized and without a lot of governance, *especially* with—as you may agree—the truly stifling intellectual property laws abound is, for better or for worse, off the mark.

In most places, coal is relatively expensive. Most BTC mining in the world is using hydro power

Jesus people, listen. Electricity is on the market. If somebody sells it to me, I'm gonna damn use it for what I want as long as obviously what I'm doing itself doesn't break the law. If the electric company didn't sell it to me to do something productive that creates economic value then some fat hog would be using it to run the AC and cool the cottage cheese between her thighs. You don't like that, pass a law so the electric company can't sell the electricity and watch them go out of business. Then fucking imaginary internet coins will be the least of your concerns.

Resources exist to be consumed. And consumed they will be, if not by this generation then by some future. By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright? None I say! Let us take what is ours, chew and eat our fill.
CEO Nwabudike Morgan "The Ethics of Greed"

Attached: morgan.jpg (205x245, 6K)

kek

electric cars use electricity they are bad for the enviroment

There's something called law of conservation of energy.
Power plants don't run constantly at the same rate, your mining rig actually causes them to start consuming more fuel.

We also have the responsibility to leave them some leftovers. Everything else is coping with its own greed

Yeah just like everybody else. If Laquita can run her 2000 watt AC 24/7 to cool her thighs, I can run my shit to help secure the blockchain and make a few shekels in the process. Don't like it, ban me but at least release how arbitrary you are being.
I'm pretty sure there is plenty of planet left for the next generation to fuck up.

This is what I don't get about you children. You either don't realize the enormity of the earth, you don't realize the level of advancement that is actually happening right now in creating the means for renewable energy and the increases in efficiency for the energy we do have, or just like every generation since the beginning of time, you are arrogant enough to believe "this is it". The world was just waiting on little old you to go belly up. Doomsday shit literally since human beings could speak. Narcissistic bullshit. You are not special, the world will move on during your lifetime and will happily move on when you're gone. Then the next horde can come on the scene with the same shit. Please, children, get the fuck over yourselves.
You are 2018's pic related. It came out in the sixties with the same kind of doomsday prepped bullshit. The worlds still here

Attached: E52F1742-107E-414F-B805-1652FC933776.jpg (795x1344, 691K)

We don't inherited this world of our parents, we are borrowing it from our children.
If we don't try to make it at least a little better than what we received we are condemning future generations to live worse lives than the ones we had.
I don't want to be the new boomer generation.

Then do your part by using renewable energy, recycle, reuse. Don't be wasteful, don't trash the place. Nobody is saying just run roughshod over the whole place. What we're saying is continue the economic expansion that has lifted 100s of millions out of poverty worldwide and continue the acceleration of ever more efficient and powerful means to achieve our goals. That's the way to a better future. The fruitcakes that try to stop technical progress in the west are just condemning us to a backwater while less scrupulous societies pull ahead and do 1000x more damage than the boomers ever thought about.

Based. I was too much of a brainlet to get good at alpha centauri but I tried.

To be fair there is always uncertainty to the future at any given time, that's just the way of it. As you said "every generation since the beginning of time".

checked

Ask them how much electricity Banks and their thousands of offices waste everyday