Are business and economics majors worth it?

Are business and economics majors worth it?

Attached: D335A645-903D-4948-80FA-97FFC93DFC5D.jpg (334x465, 57K)

never.

Not sure, I'm going for econ degree... I'm debating between quantitative and general econ.... GE will get me a paper saying I'm worth more then $25... where as QE is much harder.... but i will have a greater understanding....

All depends on what you do with your time at college and how you want to develop a more specialized skillset.

My friend banged out his Economics degree in 3 years (try hard) and then got a helpdesk job when he graduated. Slaved there for like 3 years and hated life by the end when he quit. Now he's kind of directionless, considering pursuing more education.

Takeaway from this story is, those types of degrees can be very general so it is up to you to ensure you are developing some kind of specialized experience through an internship or cultivating your courses so that they are associated with a certain topic or field.

This way, when you hit the job market, you can search for actual job titles like "Product Development Analyst" or "Business Intelligence Analyst" rather than not having any idea what particular job title you can attach your degree and skillset to

Go for Quantitative, especially if you have a proclivity towards tech and can navigate computer programs and comprehend logic and code. Analytics is a really cool field for which there is plenty of demand and exciting new technologies to learn.

I am having difficulty finding a job with a finance degree, but all depends where you live and who you know.

It depends on what you want to do. Quant/analytical will always be better than general or but if you were wanting to be a lawyer then policy economics would be a good option.

Economics bachelor here.

Fucking useless degree unless you are doing the heavy math stuff in which case just scrap the econ bullshit (save for the 101 macro/micro classes) and go straight for hard math & statistics.

I wasted my time on my degree and had to teach myself hard maths on my free time to be competitive in the job market. Plain econ is as directionless as any other liberal arts degree

Wow this is such a fantastic post that basically summarizes college in just a few sentences. Someone screencap this for future reposts, I'm too lazy and already finished college so I cant be bothered, but this is the most solid advice you will ever get about college as a whole.

Of course.
Without them my local starbucks would all be empty.

I'm thinking whether to get an economics degree or compsci. Thinking of going with compsci since there's a shortage(wages are like 2-3 times higher than average) in my country(Estonia) and I heard they hire you during university so I can potentially move out quicker. Already know some coding so I don't think it's gonna be too hard.

Although I think I'd like to work at a bank meeting with important clients, but I'm thinking that comes after many years of slaving.

Accounting is the only correct choice if you want to waste your time there. At the very least you can slave yourself in Big4 for 1-2 years and then hop into mid-management doing shits.

economics bachelor here. I get $15 an hour

Economics is all about knowing how to solve real world issues, but with no one giving you the tools to do so. Instead, corrupt (((politicians))) who clearly know nothing about economics or who have vested corporate interests make all the economic decisions

Attached: 1529529764179.png (720x513, 504K)

Thank you all very much for sharing your insight and experiences. In your experiences, what are the most practical majors to go for? Does it really come down solely to being able to make connections?
I really appreciate your response. Even though I’m still in college, I’m able to see a lot of truth in your post

I have a marketing degree. It's completely useless. If you're thinking about business maybe do Finance (even then the industry and getting in is very hard). Otherwise, forget it.

push for interest

In business the more specialized you are the better. General Econ, finance, marketing wont get you shit unless you have had a hot internship or good connections. Double major in a field that will enhance your business degree and skills, like an engineering degree (sales engineer) or law degree (business contract law). If you are good enough at what you do companies will literally bid to hire you and through that you can work your way into very high paying consultancy.

I'd say so, I'm working with Schwab now with an Econ BS. Specialized in markets and institutions.

Better to do a stem major and do an mfe or MBA. Or do business at a tier 1 school and pray for internship, good luck though unless you're stem nepotism is going to fuck you.

The Big4 likes to hire the cream of the crop, of my former classmates that ones that were hired by the Big4 were the most focused and diligent ones, including attending all the schmoozing "socials" that effectively weed out those not willing to go the extra mile.

Natural Resource/Environmental Econ major here w/ a minor in geology. I built my degree to aim at the energy industry and I feel like my education has given me the correct mindset and skillset to problem solve in an economic setting.

That being said I was a physics major before and already had super advanced math (calc 3/linear algebra).

Tl;dr push yourself, take the hardest econ classes available. Take a lot of math (through calc 2, linear algebra, applied stats). Quant isn't necessary but it will get you the math if you can't/won't do those classes as electives.

The degree is easy by itself. Make it hard and you will do well.

what about business admin with minor in financial analysis? asking for a friend hehe

That'll do, make sure your GPA is high (3.5+) and join a few clubs (econ club, investment club etc.) plus points for leadership roles in them. As you move towards graduation network HARD. Get coffee/info interviews with anyone that will take your call. Like a company? Get in touch with someone that works there and pick their brain. Networking will get you a job, degree and GPA are simply boxes that need to be checked.

Awesome thanks user. I feel like I can make it oneday

This is some solid advice. Can confirm this (economics undergrat, banking & finance masters's degreen now working in PE 2nd year). Best way is indeed to specialize (to some extend) and then do internships to see which facet (asset management, trading, m&a, consulting, etc.) you like most.

They are fucking useless. They aren't going to teach you anything you can learn yourself.