What's a food that is unique to the region of your country that the rest of the country (or world) may not quite get...

What's a food that is unique to the region of your country that the rest of the country (or world) may not quite get the appeal?

In MN, it's hotdish, basically a casserole with tatertots. Peak Midwestern American comfort food. Haven't met anyone that thinks the idea is gross, but nowhere else seems to really like it either (in the US).

Attached: hotdish-forkinthekitchen.jpg (1200x1103, 295K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbp9cda1V78
bigoven.com/recipe/cottage-cheese-roast/168064
healio.com/hepatology/viral-hepatitis/news/online/{3acbbbb1-a340-41e5-996e-7bcd4aa1c409}/high-hepatitis-e-incidence-in-germany-linked-to-raw-pork-intake
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

dont have any regional but some personal cultural things
peanut-butter & apple sauce on waffles
nuteena & pickle sandwich

family was seventh day Adventist, you may remember them from that christianity offshoot that the branch-Dravidian were
(though these days I'm not so sure that the salacious allegations against waco group was in any way real but rather a group character assassination to make average joe not give a shit that law enforcement set a group of white christian separatists on fire)
anyway. SDA folk are largely vegetarian... lacto-ovo/peskitarian vegetarian. they have a lot of recipes w/ some kind of heavy ingredient to deal with the fact they're probably craving meat

try peanut butter & apple sauce on waffles/pancakes/toast - it gud.
nuteena is a textured peanut / vegetable protein loaf... can't really recommend if you could even find it

Attached: nuteena.jpg (259x194, 8K)

That's real interesting, never even heard of Nuteena before. Gotta admit it doesn't look appealing.

>having a skillet that's shaped like a state
how impractical

Feijoada, probably. Putting large amounts of pig meat with tons of spices into a cauldron of black bean soup cannot be understood. After we also eat oranges.

Is this a thing outside Brazil?

Attached: unnamed (15).jpg (288x512, 49K)

It is not a Japanese invention? I always thought the Asians created when they arrived here. Also, pamonha, pão de queijo only exist here?

Rocky mountain oysters (bull testicles).

Attached: 3547037638_5193071e3d_z.jpg (375x500, 120K)

Yeah but I never saw japanese people talking about pastel. Maybe it's something the japs created HERE and not THERE

Attached: f5753870a40ccef114a6cb88e7f48531.jpg (680x680, 85K)

Goose anus soup. (Scania)

Attached: svartsoppa.jpg (380x277, 28K)

They're not bad actually. You just think it's gross because it's balls. Who the fuck cares if it tastes good?

youtube.com/watch?v=Nbp9cda1V78

Yeah. Never thought about it that much. Brazilians have some foods no one tried.

Wait, what? Someone posted this image before but they didn't say it had to do with goose an... ani?

I want to post but no food from my region isn't liked by the rest of my cunny

Well then post the most unique food from your region, just for fun

You guys from skandinavia and germanic europe really like to eat blood...

Was probably me. I remember making up something I though was funny and posted it.
It's actually just goose blood soup.

Good stuff.

>IS THIS HIGH TEST MEAL

Attached: GAINZ.jpg (480x360, 14K)

my mom would make a tatertot casserole as well, in Montana

And how you eat this?

oh.. also cottage cheese roast.
with ketchup... this one is actually good
bigoven.com/recipe/cottage-cheese-roast/168064
nuteena is not bad by any stretch... but its kind of like making a sandwich with scalloped potatoes as the main feature
>its fine.. but how about you just give me a goddamn pastrami

Attached: cottage-cheese-roast-3.jpg (480x480, 83K)

Not sure what you mean by unique considering a lot of our cuisine has been made ultra popular and there isn't exactly anything made with shocking ingredients (see Baeckeoffe), but here's some "Fleischschnacka", a lesser known dish that is somewhat similar to Maultaschen

Attached: 158572828638.jpg (884x514, 336K)

With your fingers.

Attached: images (57).jpg (452x678, 37K)

cheburek

>a casserole with tatertots
I don't understand the meaning of your words

How spicy is that

Attached: fornettibakery_103116.jpg (500x500, 82K)

We make that with vanilla sugar, or you can make it out of apples too.

Twin Cities fag here, hotdish with tomato sauce, ground beef and macaroni was my favorite meal growing up but I only ever had it so often. Having grown up in a mostly gook area, my parents usually made Asian-style meals for dinner.

Graukas (Greycheese) and it's bloody delicious

Attached: graukase-sauer.jpg (1272x900, 215K)

Hotdish doesn't need to be made with tatertots. Its just a colloquial Minnesotan term for a casserole, which can be made in a variety of ways.

What's a casserole?

No, that's a barbaric generalisation. Only the fools in the north, those without proper cuisine, do that

Fried smelt. Every may in Saint Petersburg we have small festival celebrating season of smelt.

Attached: корюшка.jpg (2560x1644, 1.56M)

The green chilly is raw so only that spicy. It is healthy kind of spicy though

>or you can make it out of apples too
I'm going to assume you mean "with apples" rather than "out of apples". then it would be a cobbler
the base of the aforementioned recipe is cottage cheese (dairy fat & protein) with processed puffed rice>wheat>barley meal flakes for bulk & texture
the seasoning is distinctly savory - though it certainly could be turned into a sweet dish via seasoning
the use of processed cereal flakes as a primary ingredient is sort of the distinctly american part as the industrial process to produce puffed grains (extremely high pressure followed by immediate depressurization) is an extremely heavy handed industrial process applied to food which, in turn, was extremely ubiquitous and cheap in the nation. these things popped up in America before anywhere else, have often been some of the cheapest caloric sources, &, in turn, have developed the strongest relationships with the public

Casserole probably started as a way to make leftovers palatable, but nowadays it's usually just a bunch of stuff mixed together and baked, usually with some of kind soup as a base.

For example, tatertot hotdish is tatertots (think deep fried oily potatoes), hamburger beef, peas, corn, and cream of mushroom soup. Tuna fish casserole is another common finding at church potlucks in the Midwest, featuring canned tuna, noodles, peas, celery, and more cream of mushroom soup.

Its a type of pan you use to bake in an oven. The food in the pan is also called "casserole" since you serve the food in the pan. Theres many ways to make it, but its typically a mixture of meat, vegetables, a starch as a binder, and cheese on top.

It seems to be pico de gallo-tier spicy: not at all

Is this what fat people usually eat? I've only known fatties to eat fast food, but seeing all this brings it to another level. Slim average people usually eat vegetables, fruits, chicken breast, sandwiches, some type of healthy drink, but this is all disgusting

Koolaid and the Reuben sandwich was invented in my state, and also supposedly cheeseburger pizza as well. The only thing I can think of that might be """"unique"""" is a Runza, which is just like a hot pocket with breadier shell filled with meat, onions, cabbage and sometimes cheese, pic related shows it cut open and not fully enclosed in the bread. There is a fast food place here that sells them and i dont think it exists outside the state, except maybe iowa.

According to wikipedia it is also called a bierock, krautburger, fleischkuche, or kraut pirok so there are probably plenty of things like it in europe.

Attached: order_runzas_original_CREME_RETINA.jpg (1040x950, 78K)

looks like it would be good if it had gravy or something

Anybody who grew up in New England probably at at least one of these in their lifetimes, likely (or hopefully) as a child

Attached: fluffernutter.jpg (564x496, 50K)

Good Christ is that mayo and peanut butter?

i know that here in some rural areas people eat them

literally all we have are blue crabs

Attached: maryland-blue-crab[1].jpg (800x618, 95K)

capirotada
>The basic ingredients carry a rich symbolism to the Passion of Christ, and the dish is considered by many Mexican and Mexican-American families as a reminder of the suffering of Christ on Good Friday. The bread represents the Body of Christ, the syrup is his blood, the cloves are the nails of the cross, and the whole cinnamon sticks are the wood of the cross. The melted cheese stands for the Holy Shroud.

Attached: 800px-Capiratoda.jpg (800x1067, 186K)

we eat it in the south too (Italy and Spain for sure).
pic is a sweet pig blood pudding.

Attached: sanguinaccio.png (1702x1134, 2.85M)

i just remembered that i havent eaten a blood taco in at least 5 years

literally nothing wrong with eating blood 2bh

i dont agree
but ill do it anyways

Rüeblitorte (carrot cake)

low test but also hi test

my mind is telling me no
but my body is telling me yes

Foreigners always think you're supposed to spread Vegemite like it's fucking nutella. Not the case.

its a whipped marshmallow cream

Attached: beetus.jpg (750x987, 46K)

we don't have national cuisine, and certainly not regional

you have greenland, surely they must eat some weird shit

Frikadeller, Rödpölse, beer...

These are really good but look a bit weird since the fish are cooked whole in batter

Attached: whitebait fritter.jpg (1067x700, 161K)

I know literally nothing about greenland

all food here is unoriginal and copied from germany

I checked a website called visit denmark and they listed: smörrebröd, Wienerbröd, rödpölse, stekt fläsk, öl, ostron
I didn't know you were lacking that badly.

apparently they eat seals

Stjerneskud looks delicious though

Attached: stjerneskud_01.jpg (1000x750, 153K)

You're literally eating bull jizz and putting balls in your mouth. Wonder why this isn't more popular?

This is a classic, but ancient American comfort food. Historians believe it originated in the 50s. It consists of a glazed donut cut in half. The donut slices are the bread component for Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich.

Attached: Glazed-Peanut-Butter-and-Jelly-Doughnuts...with-Strawberry-Rhubarb-Chia-Jelly.-13.jpg (600x900, 58K)

so delicious, it always amuses me when foreigners in my workplace look at me and my coworkers like we are baabrians when some college gets 4kg of Mett and everyone eats some Mettbrötchen.

Attached: mettbroetchen-mit-zwiebeln-ob-das-koblenzer-wurfgeschoss-mit-gemuese-topping-kam-konnte-die-polizei- (610x343, 92K)

Can you make this with store bought minced meat?

yes but its not as good as if you get it from the butcher

Attached: large_e28ebeaa2c1cfd3e72ffaf652638211d.jpg (623x444, 144K)

so it's the same as tartare?

tartare is beef while Mett is pork. Also you eat Mett on a brötchen (bread).

It's like you got 1/4 of the way into making something properly tasty and gave up on it.

So you eating raw pork?

yes

>raw pork
yeah naw fuck that

>pork
yo i'm not gonna try that

how is it done

>yeah naw fuck that
whats wrong with pork? pic related is how the breakfast buffet every monday in my workplace looks like.

Attached: te1993a86a_8104879141_f3049e80b4_b_d.jpg (800x479, 174K)

Try raw chicken.

I'm not eating raw pork, Hans

personally I have an antibody deficiency and I'd risk getting the shits for a week if I ate raw pork, it's just not safe meat.
maybe it tastes good though, I dunno.

Germany has the highest hygienic standards in europe and probably one if not the highest in the world. If anyone would gotten sick by Mett it would be a huge scandal and the butcher who sold it would get bankrupt.

Attached: urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-140410-99-04177-large-4-3.jpg (630x472, 51K)

what is wrong with pork?

wow so many nice foods in this thread :)

actual bullshit, I'm not getting hepatitis

healio.com/hepatology/viral-hepatitis/news/online/{3acbbbb1-a340-41e5-996e-7bcd4aa1c409}/high-hepatitis-e-incidence-in-germany-linked-to-raw-pork-intake

>“Consumption of pork meat has been considered to be the major source of HEV genotype 3 infections in Europe. In addition to zoonotic transmission, blood products were shown to be a potential source of acute and chronic HEV-infection in industrialized countries,” Dirk Westhölter, MD, from the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany, and colleagues wrote. “The aim of the present study was to determine the prevalence of bloodborne HEV-infections at our academic tertiary care center in Northern Germany and to evaluate whether routine HEV testing of blood products should be performed.

I dont know a single case of someone getting sick from Mett and many people eat it here. You are paranoid.

I want to try fucking dorilocos

Attached: _TSE8966.0.0.jpg (1200x675, 99K)

>high hepatitis E incidence in Germany, superior to other European countries
>the virus is commonly found in pork meat and you are at risk of infection if you eat it raw
>>b-but listen to my anecdote I swer it's safe

yeah no Fritz, raw pork is shit tier meat full of parasites and viruses, I get it's traditional but you can't blame people for not wanting to eat that.

Sparingly. It's the saltiiest thing known to man aside from Clinton supporters

Didn't they make it illegal a number of years ago? Although I'm sure that doesn't stop people from making it. I've always been curious to try it but i have no idea where to look for it

dunno if it's llegal 2bh, but it's really rare to find anyone eating it nowadays.
I had it a couple times when visiting very rural relatives, it's okay when you get used to the idea you're slurping sweet blood.

We have similar stuff

Attached: Pizzelle-e-cicinielli.jpg (600x399, 89K)

brisket & adding jalapenos to everything

Attached: 1394755388076.png (512x525, 15K)

Neat. Do you catch them with nets too?

Attached: whitebaiting.jpg (558x372, 50K)

Not really unique to my region, but one thing we eat in France that is absolutely delicious but not popular abroad is sea urchins.

Attached: manureva-d-oursins.jpg (400x350, 49K)

trichinosis