How do I get a job in New York City that pays enough to afford the rent there?

How do I get a job in New York City that pays enough to afford the rent there?

Attached: 08f9ruv1jsm01.png (640x640, 158K)

Other urls found in this thread:

refinery29.com/money-diary-new-york-city-marketing-intern-income
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I live in Manhattan near Hudson Yards/Hell's Kitchen. I'm actually working from home right now. My view from my 14th floor luxury condo is incredible (Cruise ships at the Hudson and Times square). I work in strategy consulting. Most people my age (23) with money here work in consulting or finance. I have a few friends who work for start ups too but it's way less common here than SF. AMA

I trade crypto, pretty good at it...actually I'm really good at it, you might even say I'm better than most. No, I'm lying to myself. I am better than most...who'd thought making money was as simple as buying and selling. Heh.

With an engineering background what can I do?

Lots of consulting firms want people with strong analytical skills (and interpersonal skills of course). My firm recruits mostly engineers. I studied economics, though. If you want to do engineering-specific industry work it may be tougher depending on what specialty you have. My best friend/roommate from college studied chemical engineering and made a decent living working for Kraft Heinz in Chicago. There are plenty of finance jobs that recruit engineers too, especially quant finance.

just stop being poor.
refinery29.com/money-diary-new-york-city-marketing-intern-income
lots of tips in this article

>he fell for the How I Met Your Mother propaganda
That show tried to make life there look cool but even they fucked up and made it look like total waste of time

NYC is a cancerous tumor. You don't want to live there.

I live in Manhattan, I'm the first commenter. It's a ton of fun, and no other city I lived in has as much going on. If you like to stay home a lot and want a simpler life, I can completely understand why you wouldn't want to live here. There are endless incredible restaurants and daily concerts/events but it's not worth it if you are a meat and potatoes guy who just wants to watch tv on weekends.

What firm do you work for? (Or an example) So I know what kind of firms to look for openings at. Just apply online

I work for a boutique consulting firm, so

Thank you

Attached: 02f.jpg (655x527, 34K)

you fucking don't, and you are an idiot if you do. you end up being some sort of "finance adviser" not actually contributing anything to society like ,
and thats if he's not a larp.
kind of proves my point, his friends that wanted to do real things with their life had to move. realistically this guy could be a finance consultant anywhere in America, but he fell for the NYC meme so he's paying the bank ridiculous amounts of money to live in what they consider to be the underside of their offices.

this is the post that made me feel bad for him though. This is the kind of person that is going to waste all of his efforts and brains just so he can go to overpriced restaurants/bars every night and try to convince himself its all worth it afterwards. He thinks $20 drinks are normal. he'll pay $100+ for a meal because it had a drop of truffle oil on it. He thinks the girls hooking up with him like him instead of just his potential to become actually rich. this guy thinks he's rich because he makes 200k a year, but when he's wasting most of it on living in NYC he's saving about as much as a union steamfitter.

I grew up East of NYC on LI and watched so many GenX/millenials fall for the NYC meme especially because of "Friends" and every other movie being set there. They either immediately become part of the lower class (shitty apartment, no car, barely any money), or they live like until their late 30s when they find a dried up FIT whore to be their wife and have shitty kids somewhere in Brooklyn or the West side. I moved to Denver and as a Mechanical Engineer went from saving $800 a month to $1500 doing the same exact job in a much more relaxed environment with better people, less traffic, and less pollution. Literally any city in the US is better to live in than NYC with the exception of LA. AMA you want to know about idiots moving to NYC

Attached: Colorado.jpg (648x432, 11K)

Just apply for Goldman Sachs new crypto trading desk. With your NEET skills, it should be a small thing.

Attached: 1505197926760.png (567x960, 269K)

>(and interpersonal skills of course).
this rules out biz then

I'm familiar with charts but I still suck at trading

this must be irony right? Right ?

Attached: 78e392bebb1c2cb4d567855e3fe9381b.jpg (641x530, 41K)

You're welcome. Glad to help

lol damn you must hate your life to write all that out. I'm very happy here and have a humble, down to earth girlfriend from the midwest. I don't waste my money on frivolous things (at least as much as others I know). I cook a lot and save a fair amount of money. that being said, I have friends who spend like you described. Don't assume all New Yorkers are like the ones you imagine from your myopic view (Friends, HIMYM, etc.). I am a strategy consultant so I actually work on super interesting projects involving major companies. Scream capitalist pig all you want but I'm contributing to this economy more than you could ever dream of, loser. "He'll pay $100+ for a meal because it had a drop of truffle oil on it." lol you clearly don't go outside much if you believe this. I'm sorry your peers growing up had more fun than you, loser.

Nice post

>Be born rich and have a network of rich friends with family in high positions in NYC
>Go to Ivy league school
>Intern at top NYC firms
>Have years of experience at position better than what you are applying for at good firm

If not any of there then it's not going to happen. Try Pittsburgh

Attached: 1526423312256.jpg (492x493, 43K)

Not going to lie, this describes me. I'll be the first to admit that living comfortably in NYC at 23 requires this, unless you work your ass off coming from a state school with zero connections or money.

Sounds like I'm fucked

Not necessarily. You say you studied engineering. If you went to a decent school (even a state school) and have great grades and some internship experience, then practice practice practice interview cases. You need to ace your interviews and have a shot at landing a job at consulting firm in NYC that pays less than average. Keep in mind average is about 80K base for entry level consultants. You may get a job paying 60K but that's doable if you live in Brooklyn or Queens. Live frugally for a couple years, work hard and you can make it.

in my experience there's so many 20 something suckers moving to NYC for jobs the wages are actually hilariously low compared to other areas if you aren't in finance. I moved to louisiana and make twice as much part time as I did working like 60+ hour weeks in NYC.

I have a few years of engineering experience but not in jobs there

You can make the switch from engineering to consulting but again, you have to ace your interviews. Cast a wide net

Wow I thought that was satire.