Why are french speakers so afraid of English dominance?

why are french speakers so afraid of English dominance?

Attached: lp.png (1137x417, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

exactly, english happily takes on words from other languages, french speakers set up bodies to fine people for using english

Attached: language evolution.jpg (812x782, 173K)

funnily enough, quebec french is full of english words

>le grilled cheese
hahahaahahahahah
sounds like fucking Jow Forums with meme words by adding a ''le'' for comedy effect
like ''le 56% face'' for example

How pervasive are unofficial Anglicisms in French?

>Citing a small business in Chelsea for replying in English to English comments on the store's Facebook page without writing a second, French version of the response.

Attached: 1555022398259.png (330x274, 2K)

Here's a few English words we use more commonly than their French equivalents:
>week-end, parking(for "parking lot"), smartphone, internet, thriller, sponsor, pull(for "pull-over"), live(as in a live show), boycott, lobby, air-bag, best-seller, interview, high-tech, geek, football and other sports names
Mostly concepts that were born in English-speaking countries and that we didn't bother translating. I think it bothers us a lot less than it bothers Quebecers.

in france not so much the only words we often use are ok and cool the other than that not so much
of course if its some new invention thingy we would use the english but with a french pronunciation

I'm an Anglophone Quebecoise and I support the French-only stuff.

I moved here to learn French. American culture is way too dominant in Quebec as it is. I also support making all the southwestern American states bilingual (English and Spanish).

>>week-end, parking(for "parking lot"), smartphone, internet, thriller, sponsor, pull(for "pull-over"), live(as in a live show), boycott, lobby, air-bag, best-seller, interview, high-tech, geek, football and other sports names
>mfw i didnt even consider them english before you said those

Attached: 1553202415766.png (451x461, 399K)

lol dude you have no idea. german doesn't exist as a language anymore. people literally use anglicisms every second sentence. what the frenchies are doing there is actually quite fantastic.

They fear the british BVLL

Boycott is an English word name after a french guy.

Charles Boycott was English.

Aw shit I goofed.

You were right actually, he was descended from Huguenot immigrants, and his ancestors' name was "Boycatt" which indeed sounds French.

In France, KFC is called KFC, but in Quebec, they call it "Poulet Frit Kentucky".

The phrase, "more Irish than the Irish themselves", comes to mind.

They also translate movie names literally. We almost always keep the English name.

There's being protective over your language (Catalonia comes to mind) and then there's the retards in Québec who think that some how all the pompous French has-beens would even stooping so low as to speak English.