First time posting on Jow Forums

First time posting on Jow Forums

Im studying abroad this fall in Belgium. While im there I plan on traveling to other neighboring countries (germany, netherlands, france and if i get the chance, spain, italy and england)

Can anyone give me some advice as far as what to expect, what places should i visit, advice on getting around, if ill get treated poorly due to being american, etc?

Attached: 1200px-Flag_of_Belgium.svg.png (1200x1040, 2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1Stxeat7hOQ
police.be/en/e-loket
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can be in Paris or Amsterdam in one 30 euro train ride with the Thalys.

>if ill get treated poorly due to being american
god i hope so, you fucking traitor, you deserve to be abused

Expect nobody wanting to speak with you and people being more blunt
Cologne seems nice, as does Utrecht
Train is your best bet
And yes, you will

People are quite reserved in Belgium. So you do have to take the initiative by asking people out to go do stuff with you.

Joining student societies can be a good idea.

Flixbus is nice for getting between cities on the continent. It's often cheaper than taking a train. Don't expect everyone to speak English, especially in eastern Germany.

I'm not OP

don't accidentally conquer it while you're there OP, that's a constant problem

Only planned on going to Germany for Oktoberfest desu. Germany has never really appealed to me since its pretty blue pilled.

London does still have the beat stuff to see and the inner city parts you'll visit are still cleaner and safer than the continent

London is the stabbings capital of Europe. Its literally one of the most dangerous places in Europe (outside of French and Belgian ghettos).

He's American, do you really think London is any worse than big cities in America? At least he won't be shot.

>ireland

generally: make yourself look like a sophisticated citizen of the world. the more you make yourself visible and the more touristy and "stand-out" you are; the more you will be shitted on. protip is to basically don't take your wardrobe; or buy clothes in advance; dressing the part makes you stand out and try to pay attention to local habits and customs and pick up on them.

example: this filipino american or whatever dude with his gf who are easily spotted from miles away and get endlessly shit on here: youtube.com/watch?v=1Stxeat7hOQ

true of the world; but in america if you act that way people think you are a shifty pedophile or something. its good to be in canada where we can observe literally both social expectations exist.

To be fair, I've never been anywhere near a mass shooting of any kind. My states been pretty lucky with that and my college town and home town are small country towns.

Where you going?

the biggest problems with you types of americans unless you went to a very good school or live in those wealthy suburb "small towns" is that they are incredibly insular and literally do not know how to interact with foreign people.

it amazes me actually but lots of americans cannot seem to pick up on the way other cultures think and behave. you can see this when observing euros vs american tourists in japan; they can pick up and adapt but a lot of americans are just awkwardly standing out.

UCL in Louvain La Neuve

Thankfully, I spent this winter working at a ski resort and had many foreigners come in so I'd like to say I'm a little more educated on the matter for someone who has never gone overseas

It's based. You'll love it.

It looks awesome. Just sucks I have to learn french now, but figured it will look good on a resume after college since im already semi-fluent in spanish

Wait 20 min Ill be bac iTT

Continentals (beside the Dutch) don't speak English. You might as well be in China, if you only speak English.

You can be fluent in any language in 8 months or so.
Although I find French to be one of the harder West European languages.

French is in the same language family as Spanish so its not as difficult. Just very different pronunciations obviously.
Ive met many Germans vacationing here who are pretty fluent in English. Basically told me that its a second language due to all of the military bases in Western Germany

LLN is a pretty much a student only town that was built in the late 60s. Back then it was a brand new town built out of nowhere but now a lot of the buildings built in the 60s/70s are kinda decrepit. You'll have to rent what we belgians call a "kot", pretty much a student room - dont worry they are everywhere and range from 300 for a shitty one up to 500euros a month for newer rooms with better infrastructures. Most people will know a bit of English butnot too much, please try to speak French even if you suck, it's much appreciated and helps fro integration. Dont be one of these asian students that only stay within their own kind and be considerate for Belgian culture. Belgians love it when you compliment their country and so do most Louvanistes (people living in LLN). Louvain has kind of a weird ass student culture, well so does Wallonia as a whole, you'll understand when you get there.

I come from a pretty liberal college town filled with hippies, so I doubt it can be much weirder but I'll take your word for it. Since learning french is hard to come by since I was forced to learn spanish since middle school, Ive resorted to duolingo. Hows the food there? is it easy to travel from/to?

Louvain is very liberal as well, but it's pretty different to other students towns around Europe. This one is very "belgian" oriented and has its own traditions, chants, culture. I can't relaly put words on it but you'll see for yourself trust me. Speaking with French speakers is literally the best thing you can do when you get here, you'll learn quite fast. Food is pretty good,lots of snacks and friture, lots of drunk food, cheap beer. It's super easy to travel from/to, Louvain-La-Neuve has its own trainstation connected to Brussels.

Did you go to school there?

I live 20 minutes down south and have many friends who went to uni there despite never living there myself. I've been there a lot, going out and working as well. I also own "kots" which I rent to students so I know the town pretty well, it's not big at all.

So I take it that the people that live there as well as the students that go there and aren't "rude" to Americans? One of my worries is that I'll be treated poorly because of my nationality

No one is rude to Americans in general. Americans who arent't complete dickheads are appreciated dont worry about it lol. You may be a bit surprised no one really cares for you when you get there, Belgians aren't really outgoing, especially with foreigners that dont really speak their language well. You will have to "force yourself in" at times. Consider going out and meeting people as we are much more open to conversation when drunk lmao. Don't expect much from locals, they see a lot of foreigners and Erasmus students all the time so they don't really bother. Making friends with Belgians can sometimes be a bit of a pain but once you actually make friends it's probably a good one if that makes sense

I don't think you have to worry about that. Just like everywhere else people just behave normally. Although you should realize that Europeans make no distinctions between someone from Texas, Ohio, New York, Florida or Alabama, Hispanics, whites, jews or blacks. You're all the same when you're abroad. So you might want to avoid politics. It should also be noted that anti-americanism is mostly a left wing thing in Europe.

From Belgium you could take easy and cheap trips to Aachen and Cologne. Both have beautiful Cathedrals and Cologne has a good nightlife. But no would treat poorly because you are american. It will make you rather more interesting for small talks. I always made good experiences with Burgers in
Europe, and they never told me
any bad experience they just because of being American.

Are you there for uni or language course?

Uni
ill be the first to say that I don't know much about Germany besides beer and football so I dont know much about Germanys culture

thanks for the help, belgian bro

>Im studying abroad this fall in Belgium
going to dox and kill you, fucking amerimutt

Attached: 1525744262303.png (671x690, 694K)

Okay

Don’t listen to this thread, most people won’t give a shit, especially young to middle-aged people. Some older folks might hassle you but that comes with the age.

The only places Yanks ever conquered were ass-backwards under-developed places inhabited by primitive savages (mainland U.S., Hawaii, Guam, Samoa etc.).

I've heard Belgians are racist to Asians, is this true?

>tfw no exchange student to cuddle with

Generally? No. Occasionally? Sure but that is true for literally every country on Earth, all of Asia included.

The definition of racism in Europe is different from America. We love to make jokes about Asians. But we dont treat them differently.

ill cuddle with you desu senpai uwu

Ehhhhhhhhh, I wouldn’t go that far. Yes, they are generally not treated differently under the law but they do face some minor discrimination as well as unequal treatment solely because they are “other” (visually). The reasons for this are largely biological and will unfortunately be with us for quite some time but if does not go beyond that it is not that big a deal.

Report this death threat here

police.be/en/e-loket

I already have

kek

Typical Americlap response.

I have links to every european country’s police reporting and I report Europeans to the police practically daily for threats/racism etc depending on their country

Europeans need to suffer and I am doing my part every day to make sure that happens

I'm pretty sure our police doesn't care, unless you threaten a celeb on her Facebook with your name showing.

You keep thinking that those lead to anything, user, you clearly need this mentally.

Then your police won’t care, didn’t say otherwise, but I DO take every opportunity to report offenses when I see them. Only Europeans though, don’t care about anyone else

are you a nice boy?

Any fellow Belgians here?
How do I get more studiepunten? Only have 70 left, I want to jew more

>only 70 left
Doesn't it work the other way around? That you get them for finishing courses you signed up for?

Just looked it up. In Belgium it does work the other way around lol.
In the Netherlands you can sign up for an infinite amount of courses..

>While im there I plan on traveling to other neighboring countries
Can you do that? Doesn't your visum only cover Belgium? I mean it's the Schengen Zone, but free travel only applies to citizens, not guests, not refugees, not visitors of any kind.

I'm pretty sure he can.

>Report this death threat here
weak pathetic mutt

Attached: 1532600349775.png (251x272, 8K)

Asians are based and hardworking so not really

my advice is to learn the language of the part you are staying

you can't have the rest back, but it's enough to enroll for one year though or just learn french and go study in a francophone uni, they don't care about studiepunten

That video is so fucking cringe. He looks like a toddler with his stupid hat.