Has anyone here actually taught themselves Mandarin...

Has anyone here actually taught themselves Mandarin? It genuinely seems extremely inaccessible unless you either live there or speak a very similar language

Attached: China map flag_-ALEKSA-_iStock_Thinkstock-516796230.jpg (770x400, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4906
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

why would it be inaccessible?

The entire writing system is crazy and unlike anything else. The language has 4 tones where each tone can be the same word but a totally different meaning. Some dialects have at least 6 tones apparently.

It's very difficult but it can be done. It's easier if you already speak an Asian language. But I've seen White Brits who speak very good Mandarin.

There's plenty weebs who teach themselves a bit of Japanese but I've genuinely never met anyone who knows self taught Mandarin. Let alone being able to read or write it.

>self taught
Yeah not gonna happen. You'll never get the sounds correct. Self teaching any language is already difficult let alone a language that is completely different from English. I suppose with the internet, if you spend lots of time with Chinese to get the slangs correctly. It's better than just reading books.

Spoken Japanese is a million times easier than mandarin

Yeah exactly. Crazy that it's got so many speakers yet so difficult to learn.

No. Chinese is a ugly, disgusting language that should have been forgotten ages ago.

For a native speaker it's never hard, though

The writing system is pretty grammatically similar to English. It shouldn't be harder than Japanese considering how you have to learn kanji in Japanese.

我愛英國帥哥。。。

Kanji is an archaic writing and reading method that's based more off an obsession for calligraphy than actually expressing sentiment or detail.

Switching between katakana and hiragana for loan words and "native" words is annoying, but at least there's always romaiji which is at least consistent in it's rules. Use of multi faceted intonations for changing the meaning of individual words however is retarded, and indicates either some kind of cultural split, or running out of useable syllables in your alphabet.

>Yeah not gonna happen. You'll never get the sounds correct.
the Chinese themselves can't get the sounds right. Chinese people barely understand each other. Imagine not being able to understand someone's English just because they have an English accent. that is what the Chinese language is like.

Is that why chinese people are always yelling at each other?

I'm just saying it's prolly easier to learn how to read Chinese considering you really just have to remember 3000 characters. Tones on the otherhand is just natural to native speakers but strange to foreigners.

hmmm

Attached: Language Learning Difficulty for Engli.png (1366x2499, 831K)

well if they yell at each other then they're not getting the tones right so they aren't saying anything really. the language is non-functional.
Like chinese people listen to someone singing, and they sound beautiful, but they are speaking gibberish because all the tones are wrong. So that is why all chinese music has subtitles.

Attached: oFbTauc.png (2000x2200, 842K)

>Use of multi faceted intonations for changing the meaning of individual words however is retarded, and indicates either some kind of cultural split, or running out of useable syllables in your alphabet.
tonogenesis
languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=4906

apparently the only one retarded here is you

Attached: tumblr_npj15jIUiu1uuqf4fo1_r1_1280.jpg (1280x592, 224K)

Tones are straightforward unless you are tonedeaf or retarded. There are really five but only two are difficult to distinguish. Context is way more important than tones anyways, despite what american HAPAs on youtube will who have never been to china will tell you. Intonation is generally light to non-existent on many words in normal speech. It is important when two near-homophones that both work contextually exist, or to make obvious a change of subject or similar situations.
They are kind of intimidating at first but they are not the difficult part. though if you dont get them early on you might as well switch languages, because its hopeless.

>The writing system is pretty grammatically similar to English
only on basic levels. It is more familiar than japanese, but upper-level chinese is full of all manner of inscrutable structures and endless idioms. People constantly underestimate this because someone once told them it was SVO like most western languages.
>considering how you have to learn kanji in Japanese.
kanji has only a fraction of the number of characters compared to how many are used to 'read a newspaper' in mandarin.

Large portions of china dont speak mandarin natively, and even those that do have all manner of different accents and whatnot. If you have a decent grasp of mandarin its easy to pass as an actual chinese person on the phone because there are a zillion dfifferent accents and dialect peculiarities
you might not be able to scream with tones, but you can most definitely speak loudly without any confusion on intonation.

I studied mandarin in Taiwan for two years

You just need to study user, i've just barely started and I could already read and understand some. Just speaking is difficult in my opinion

I took two years of Mandarin in high school. I remember next to nothing.

I know a couple guys who learned it. They're some of the very few white people I know who can speak it.

Mandarin is one of the easiest lamguages to learn.

The grammar is one of the simplest in existence. The hard part is learning the vocab and the symbols. Mao really should have adopted pinyin.

I am Chinese I know mandarin automatically

>muh difficulty-is-morphology myopia
kys