/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
French
>What language should I learn?
French

Old thread Old challenge(s)

Attached: 1557066006541.png (910x862, 186K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learnpersian.us/en/courses
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_(linguistics)
youtube.com/watch?v=5oJctKy_r6s
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>>What is the most useful language?
>French
basé
debout les damnés de la terre!

>french

Attached: 1548718775612.jpg (469x468, 23K)

Learn Uranusian.

I'm on a 19-day streak on Duolingo learning Chinese. Does anybody have any tips for remembering how to write the characters? I can recognize them but I always forget at least one of the strokes on the more complicated ones.

Attached: 1504046959779.png (585x470, 51K)

Just fucking write them.
Have flashcards with the word in pinyin on side and the character on the other and try to write out the character. It's not fun , but it's probably the only way to really get writing Chinese characters down, which you probably don't really even need anyway.

I should start doing that more often but I usually do all my practice on Duolingo. Are you fluent?

who here /sentence mining/

No, I'm not even learning Chinese right now lol. I definitely will in the future, but right now I'm trying to get to a listening and reading fluency in Japanese. Flashcards and consistent practice are the only way to get Chinese characters down, though.
Good luck on your studies, and keep in mind Duolingo can only take you so far.

I was but literally just stopped a week ago and I can feel my Japanese weakening.
超残念だよ

>width

>ふ
>umlauts
language learning sucks when you're a native phonemelet

Attached: 1548621939585.png (737x732, 355K)

>Laut Definition von "Besitz"

In this case does "laut" mean "tell me" as in "tell me the definition of possession?

hold my hand, one day I'll be able to pronounce Hebrew gutturals as well as a native...

What is sentence mining?

No, it's 'according to'

Here we fucking go. Another thread that's raining dead horses. Go make some thread where you pretend to ask a question you don't really have rather than spamming it here.

>spamming
At the very least it bumps the thread. Why so serious?

I'm trying to learn Russian, but I have trouble finding good material in my native language. I guess I'll look into apps.

Attached: pain.png (300x288, 154K)

Why so serious? As if posting the same fucking image every day for six years and even having the occasional "post your Rare P- Facebook Frogs" thread where raids to destroy this fucking website are planned 100 times over is not a serious, serious act of cold, calculated deliberation. As if it's just spontaneous at any single point when someone searches for an image to put next to their post and out of literal billions of images to choose from, an opportunity he's never had at any time in history, the poster realizes it is most good, true, and beautiful to post that abysmal fucking avatar face that gazes into you, mocks you for having the soul it never had, and which will never, ever, ever, EVER be the mascot of this website whose rotting carcass its newfag posters feast on, that they wish it to be, no matter how hard they try to rewrite history and pretend there's no such thing as a forced meme, that eeeeverything is subjective, oh yeah, that I'm just a spoil-sport, with a big mouth, and nothing to say, and just like clockwork that's what you're arguing right now. Just like clockwork.

Making flashcards with sentences. For instance, the foreign sentence is on one side while the translation/definitions for unknown words and grammatical structures is on the other.

Is there a /lang/ discord?

That's just it. Language IS discord. It is chaos. Modern history has proven that the drive for order and uniformity is the cancer that has already killed many languages.

Can anyone vouch for the language transfer free lessons?

200iq post

o/
What else you do? I just listen and read mostly

Why not learn with Russian-English books? If you're fluent enough for Jow Forums, it will be okay with language books.

awww Rosalie is comforting Lolle

Attached: episode9_2.jpg (1133x645, 238K)

Learning German in uni and it’s the worst mistake I’ve ever made in my life.

Should have gone Spanish and at least been able to look forward to communicating with Latina qties, not fucking Helgas and Ahmets

the girls from poland and german-speaking europe are much prettier than the girls of any spanish-speaking country though

I want a paisa so badly. I guess people just love what they don’t have, here I am surrounded by objectively beautiful Slavic women. Yet I long for a tanned black haired thicc booty goddess

POUET POUET

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Salve

my copy of Lingua Latina just arrived, going to start this afternoon woohoo

Attached: 1516659822675.jpg (1280x720, 47K)

Is anyone here learning another dialect or variety of their native language? I'm learning nynorsk, basically Norwegian village-speak.

Attached: 1554916841261.jpg (707x433, 149K)

I'm Persian dubs user from yesterday.
Using this for anyone interested. learnpersian.us/en/courses

I just envy people who got past the alphabet learning stage. You're not wrong though, so I'm sorry for derailing the general

You put fucking umlauts on that list. It's piss easy to learn some additional diacritics.

Based. I'm glad you weren't bullshitting, lol.

>he doesn't like frogs
COPE. You're the reason I post them

Attached: 1557774866523.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Thanks user. My best friend since high school is Persian, I'm thinking of surprising him by learning some Farsi.

An umlaut is a sound tho, not a diacritic. (Don't (You) me about the widespread convention to call diaeresis "umlauts", thank you.)

And those sounds are represented by letters with diacritics on them.
Stop being pedantic.

Καλημέρα

They don't have to be. They are in German, and that's the only example I can think of where an umlaut is marked with diaeresis on letters.

do you have any examples where umlauts aren't marked?

They're usually spelled with whatever vowel the umlaut shifts to. For example the I-umlaut goes like fall->fell (en), fallen->fällen (de), vallen>vellen (nl) and so forth.

Have a look, nibba.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umlaut_(linguistics)

There's different definitions of umlaut. I'm german so when I say umlaut I generally refer to the specific letters used in our alphabet not some linguistics stuff.

Are there any good italian comics or something that I could read? Something that has pictures and simply text

Wassa verb an how do me learning american?

Isn't that just an alternate writing system?
It would be cool to understand Resian but I doubt I could ever find any resources on it.

Attached: Merc-2014.jpg (1093x1153, 335K)

First off: umlauts don't only exist in German since it's a common sound shift to occur, and second: the reason for that is because that's how you guys mark umlauts so it becomes an umlaut diacritic when placed on a o u > ä ö ü, but the diacritic in itself (¨) isn't an umlaut, which is all I wanted to have said. A and O with diaeresis on them, ie Ä and Ö aren't umlaut markers in Swedish for example, but letters with individual sound values (aka not dependent on an umlaut to be used). Same goes for Ö in Icelandic, and Ä and Ö in Finnish.

It's one of two official written language forms, the other being bokmål. You could technically write in nynorsk and speak an Eastern dialect, but it is almost always associated with the Western dialects. It is also closer to Icelandic and Old Norse, though not 'close' per se.

Umlaut is literally a german word and anyone who's not a linguist here uses it to refer to the letters. It's not my fault linguist chucklefucks adopted a word that specifically refers to a, ö and ü to refer to sound shifts.
None of what you're saying matters anyway as the guy was talking about alphabets so he clearly did mean the letters just like I did.

Dettarar. Me må allarar snakkjarar nynorski. Kvisleis skönjarar ikkja osjlofolk att bögmåli er danski??? Eg berrar spörar

Dette, men uironisk.

En bergenserjævel prövde dette med meg i Oslo.

how fucking old are you? you said you have been learning german for over 10 years right? but why is your hearing comprehension not so good?

I want to learn central nahuatl but I don't even know where to begin

>Umlaut is literally a german word
I know. Doesn't change a thing. We use the term "omljud" in Swedish which is the exact same as umlaut in German, ie "re-sound". It's called umlaut in English to refer to the phenomenon because it's a handy fucking word, just like you call an inserted vowel between consonants a "svarabhakti vowel" because the concept was first used in Sanskrit for Jow Forums and /l/ and it's a handy word to describe the same practice other langs.

>It's not my fault linguist chucklefucks adopted a word
Nigga, that's the original meaning of it, hence why it's even called umlaut.

>None of what you're saying matters anyway as the guy was talking about alphabets so he clearly did mean the letters just like I did.
Still doesn't change anything. The issue remains important.

>page 8

BUMP!

kalhmera ti kaneis re file?

Have fun my man

Also you can get some tips here

youtube.com/watch?v=5oJctKy_r6s
The Amphitryo Comoedia recommendation might be useful later on

it's not. they're harder to pronounce than consonants

Same. I'm lucky enough to be able to listen to stuff at work. I sentence mine then listen to the stuff I've been mining from during the day. Sometimes I switch to the news even though I understand little.

Πολύ kαλά, εσύ;

They're like Michal Thomas lessons thigh I've never really used them much myself

It's learning words in context (in a sentence) rather than in isolation.

8elw na pai8enw alla kala eimai

Κι εγώ φαμ, kι εγώ. Πού μαθαίνεις Ελληνιkά;

I'm not a very smart man

How good am I supposed to be? I've never left the United States, I never speak German irl, the only German exposure I have is the classroom and movies I watch

is it even theoretically possible to learn german (fluently) in 6 months? pls help lads, gib some advice, resources for studying and whatnot

I would say that it's not possible

you will become frustrated by your overly optimistic timeframe when you're a couple months in and can barely understand anything other than 5 word sentences about cats drinking milk.

Check the wiki for resources

No

Well, according to that FSI chart, you'd need 750 hours to become fluent in German. Assuming there are roughly 180 days in six months and that you'll study everyday, you'd only have to study for about 4 hours and 12 minutes daily. So, yeah... It's pretty doable. Godspeed you, man.

I started french then I gave up because fucking verbs and all that conjugation shit

Pic related, it's me

Attached: rottoaless-only-just-noticed-wojak-doesnt-have-ears-35137911.png (500x675, 91K)

Read a grammar book on French. It helps

Link to chart?

Currently on mobile data so can't download anything, have to use gigs sparingly for next 10 days. How often is this thread up, I'd rly like to catch one when I get back home on wifi

I know spanish . am a native. Should i pick up esperanto? Im curious

Why would you

French italian portugaise or romainian.

It's up pretty much all the time.

Dope, thanks bros, I think I might tackle french again, really got demotivated with all the conjugation I felt i was all over the place

Easy
Hva er din favorit mat?
Moren min er lagen mat kylingen
Vannet tar rundt tre å (boil).
Middag vil være klar på klokken sju

Medium
Det er mange forskjellig type av salat
På Pacific, folk ofte spise (bats)
(Bats) lukte som (urine) når dere lagen mat dem
(Cheesecake) er laget av fersk ost

Hard
Landet som drikker det mest vin er France, Italy, og USA
En (traditional salami) er laget av storfekjott eller svinekjott.

I am reposting this because no one corrected me the first time, thansk in advance. Also I did use the O with a slash through it but it did not show up for some reason. Im using Windows 10's keyboard layout to type those letters but i guess for some reason it bugs out im not sure

Na, you don't need to. If your idea is that you should pick up esperanto to learn other languages then you dont need to because you already know spanish. It would just be incredibly easy and you'd find yourself not knowing who and what to speak with. I suppose if you want a confidence boost and something weird to talk about with people sure but there isnt much of a reason.

I recommend choosing another language

t. american hispanic

Guugu Yimithirr is a language that uses geographic directions (east, west) instead of egocentric directions (left, right) and native speakers of Guugu Yimithirr have a better sense of navigation than other people. What other languages provide superior cognitive ability?

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty

This is basically it, it says the amount of hours estimated needed for languages in relation to english

Attached: FSI chart thing.jpg (553x1954, 569K)

You'll do just fine. Your country used to be part of France. You also got triple 9s, that's gotta be a sign.

Huh

Im kinda curious about conlangs and learning an international language. And yeah I want something easier because while Im bilingual I have no idea what the process of learning a language is like

You should learn other romance languages

Conlangs are interesting and Esperanto is fairly interesting and there are plenty of communities if you live near a semi big city to talk with but again like i said, its fairly useless. You would be better off learning another romance language or fuck, go to something like Catalan, Catalan would be easy for you and itd be interesting and might get you interested in the history of Catalonia
I know Duolingo has Catalan on there learning from Spanish and while duolingo is usually shit by itself, I have a feeling for something like Catalan it could be easy since you already know spanish

Easy
>Hva er din favorit mat?
Favoritt is with two T's. It would aslo sound more native to say 'hva er favorittmaten din'.
>Moren min er lagen mat kylingen
Moren min lager kylling (the definite article isn't needed here).
>Vannet tar rundt tre å (boil).
Vannet tar rundt tre [minutter] å koke.
But "det tar vannet tre minutter å koke" sounds more native.
>Middag vil være klar på klokken sju
'På' isn't needed here.

thanks, I actually was wondering if I could mix the two into "favorittmaten" but I wasn't sure, I just remember that being something that you can kinda do, I should try to be a bit more confident when doing these
Thanks norwegian bro

Medium
>Det er mange forskjellig type av salat
Det er mange forskjellige typer salat (av isn't needed).
>På Pacific, folk ofte spise (bats)
På Stillehavet (lit; the quite ocean) spiser folk ofte flaggermus (lit; 'mus' means 'mouse' and 'flagger' basically means 'flapper').
>(Bats) lukte som (urine) når dere lagen mat dem
Flaggermus (plural is the same as singular here) lukter som urin når du koker dem.
>(Cheesecake) er laget av fersk ost
Cheesecake is 'ostekake'.

And by the way, Jow Forums doesn't accept the Norwegian ö. Norwegians generally use the Swedish one; ö.

Thanks Norway bro you really got my spirits up.

Lol we were under so many countries for as long as we existed but french did take a tie as accessory from us

No problem. 'Hard' coming up. :)

Hard
>Landet som drikker mest vin er France, Italy og USA
'Landene' for plural. France is called Frankrike (lit; Frank kingdom. Same as German 'reich', but pronounced differently) and Italy is called Italia.
>En (traditional salami) er laget av storfekjott eller svinekjott.
Traditional salami=tradisjonell salami

Very good overall.