Did anyone here major in Computer Science or anything IT related?

Did anyone here major in Computer Science or anything IT related?

How is the tech industry in your country? Can you get into Silicon Valley with a degree from a smaller, lesser known University?

How are tech jobs? I'm an Accounting major, junior in college. Almost feel like I should've done CS or something though because it seems like a booming industry and less boring. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Attached: 1280px-Oak_Street_Beach_in_Chicago.jpg (1280x960, 232K)

>feel like I should've done CS
thank Allah everyday you didn't do that
IS and IT on the other hand...

>how is the market
People get hired before graduation. Hell I know someone who got paid €500 to attend a job interview he had no interest in whatsoever.

FUCK I'm desperately looking for a job meanwhile a friend has his own little IT company and literally receives job invitations every hour through linkedin.

>How is the tech industry in your country
growing faster than other industries but our president want to kill it with a new tax to tech companies

care to elaborate?

I think CS is only good if it fits your (lack of) personality.
In my circle of friends there's people who work in sales, mechanical maintenance, programmer and various other work. The people in sales for example have all these fun friday afternoon drinks where they can fuck the intern. The mechanics generally just mess around on the job and have the most fun stories.
The two programmers talk about how a coworker brought a Nintendo Switch to the job or they messed around with a raspberry pi.

what did you major in

Business economics. My last jobs were procurement and project controller.
I could get a job tomorrow if I wanted to but I'm never going back to doing any administration.

>The people in sales for example have all these fun friday afternoon drinks where they can fuck the intern.

on the job?

you are on the right track don't do it

don't study STEM. millions of pajeets and chinks are doing it all third worlders are doing it. everything will get outsourced, just like 80% of production getting outsourced to china

soon wages will crash extremely hard. accounting and business/administraiton jobs will be the last ones to get automated. whole silicon valley will move to india/china and people will work for peanuts

yeah actually part of the reason i stayed away from Engineering/IT/CS was because it's full of chinks and pajeets

>on the job?
No of course not but from what they told me they only have a few drinks at the office and then most leave and a few people remain and have dinner together + drinks. From there on sometimes someone hooks up with an intern.

good
i dropped out of engineeirng after wasting 3 years there. those third worlders will crash the wages and most other jobs will get automated. however we will always need people for managing even the automated jobs, and keeping records of everything (even if a computer does it, you translate what it does and file tax reports etc. basde on that)

You can't outsource mechanical jobs.
Welders cost about €70/hour over here.

>not working cheaper than any pajeet

Attached: fresco.png (680x1209, 945K)

I know 6 people who don’t have degrees, and they make $110k+ and all they have are a few certificates

Schrödingers magapede. They all make $100k+ doing 'real work no degree' while Mexicans drive down wages and steal all manual jobs.

alcohol at the office? or is there a bar in the same building?

i studied mechanical engineering. engineering part of it can easily be outsourced assuming you have 1 engineer that knows the laws/limits/standards of your country.

mechanics themselves can't be outsourced (well refugees might take care of those jobs if they ever start working and going into trade school).

i'd go trade school route instead of engineering. be a welder,automotive repairmen etc. there are expat turk engineers who barely make 2500€ working for german automotive companies while trade school almancıs make over 5000€ easily working for auto shop.

those jobs will pay way more than engineering as long as you have low birth rates.

they are Cyber security techs. All they did was spend a few weeks studying for Security+. They took the test, passed, and got good paying jobs

It's customary at 'cool' and 'trendy' workplaces that work often shuts down at 16:00 on fridays and then they have some snacks and beers.
That said this is all stories I've heard from others

Attached: DWK2ZYrWAAAtNqF[1].jpg (1200x900, 172K)

yeah but is it a bar in the same building/nearby they just visit after work or are these niggas drinking in the office?

Yeah its good
I live in london so it feels like theres an infinite amount of jobs
I earn enough to live comfortably in london which is all i want 2bh

I think they have the first few drinks (often only 1 or 2) at the office itself and then people either go home or to a nearby bar.

Lol know a freelance test automatisation guy who makes €80 per hour in Rotterdam.

Backend deveopers with good contact rates can have daily rates of 400-500 euros in Amsterdam working from fucking home half the time.

Why the fuck would someone want to be a Welder working in horrible Heat and having back issues after 10 Years

Yup that's me. Dropped out of University. Started from the bottom. Gained experience. Got Cisco, Checkpoint and ITIL certs.

are the jobs demanding?

When I worked as a project controller my job was checking if the bills matched the quotation.
All those self-employed people doing engineering work had the most ridiculous rates you couldn't even believe. Obviously they pay taxes, insurance, blablabla but imagine charging €95/hour how much do you have left?

CS market in the USA seems to be in a bubble. Salaries in your tech hubs can be insane if you’re good. Not just compared to Poor countries but western countries as well.

American code monkeys on average earn double what the average west european code monkey earns.

Im not sure how sustainable this is. Good companies in the US inflate the total compensation with stocks and were currently in the largest bull market in history.

It's alright

Exactly. It was bizarre to me as well when I worked there on a project and spoke with the Dutch guys (who were almost all self employed and contracting through their own company)

What’s also weird is if you’re a normal salaried worker you earn around 50-60k euros as a mid level developer. The contractor guys doing the same job earn way more. It could be because they’re just cutting out out the bullshit middleman in NL (companies are overflowed with fucking managers and HR cunts)

yeah, i don't know how they pay the average code monkey 50/hour.

like every single tech job is 30+/hour right now. 25 at the very very lowest maybe 20 if you're doing absolute bitch work. lot of dudes making 60-100/hour working 40-45 hour weeks.

i don't know how they can keep it up. i think it'll last as long as there's a shortage of workers for the jobs but 10 years from now it'll regress to a mean where people go down to the rates of other office jobs.

I’m currently working on going freelancing here in Croatia as an iOS developer. Know a guy who does it for mostly American clients and the rate is around 50 bucks per hour.

Companies here mostly do the same shit, do software projects from western clients for cheap but the funny thing is they pay their developers peanuts essentially. Like 30k per year max when if the code monkey skips the bullshit company and negotiates as an independent contractor he can get these good rates of 50 bucks per hour.

Apparently this rate is still cheap to the companies in the USA compared to hiring a local native guy who’ll probably demand 3x that in the tech hubs.

Like it’s super nice rn lots of demand and w/e but I wonder how sustainable it all is

>What’s also weird is if you’re a normal salaried worker you earn around 50-60k euros as a mid level developer. The contractor guys doing the same job earn way more. It could be because they’re just cutting out out the bullshit middleman in NL (companies are overflowed with fucking managers and HR cunts)
This is something pretty much every employed person at that company talked about. At this point it doesn't make any sense anymore to not rent yourself out.
All those self-employed contractors would tell you it wasn't worth it etc but then drive home in their fucking S-class (charging €0.40 for every km driven until home)

Yep. You can also buy yourself shit and write it off for taxes.

One guy took us to an all you can eat Mexican restaurant in Rotterdam and wrote off the bill as a business expense (dinner with clients)

They were all talking about buying houses and were mostly in their late 20s (from what I understand the average Dutch person can only dream of buying a house in randstad rn)

Can be but it's never too bad. I'm a web developer so I'm with a team. It's quite a sociable environment.

Yeah the people I was talking about did a 1 week boot camp for CompTIA Security+, studied their asses off for a few weeks, passed the test and got jobs right away. I live near Washington DC so there are endless amounts of Cyber security jobs. These guys doubled their salary in less than 6 months. Without degrees. Fucking insane

>Yep. You can also buy yourself shit and write it off for taxes.
You can, but it's not always fully legal. It's one of those things you can get away with until you get a random audit and then you are fucked.
However the part about restaurant bills is true.

How much do you earn per year?

London seemed crazy because the salaries don’t seem that good compared to the rent

£65k
I graduated a year and a half ago. Started on 35k

Oh that seems great. That’s around what the big guys like FB and Google pay in London for fresh grads.

STEM is good, it's just that you should not be a simple code monkey
I mean programming should be a tool in your work, not work itself. If the only thing I could say about my job was that I'm a programmer, I'd kys myself straight away
I was also scared about my future so I diversified my skills as much as possible, did industrial automation, embedded electronics, power electronics (for the upcoming green energy) and machine learning. I could probably build a pretty badass robot all by myself by now (haven't done it in a long while tho)

you don't have to be scared you are a firstie

go work in a depot of supermarket and you'll make more than 90% of worlds doctors

rofl

not everyone should go to CS because most people are fucking brainlets and CS is 99% math unless you are doing some god awful KODING "Cs" programming. CS should literally be renamed to applied computational mathematics so people know what they are getting into

The only decent programmers in this country are from the top 20 universities, rest of them shouldn't even be near a computer.

third world subhuman

rofl doesn't matter 99% of cs jobs are codemonkeying

anyone who can install an IDE and solve first 3 problems in project euler can do any CS job

I finished a business admin degree in the US and can't find a job here. I wish I had gone with the CS instead.

Comp Sci is kinda booming but it's overblown. Even though there are lots of openings, many of them never get filled or at least go through hundreds if not thousands of applicants before picking one. Companies are really really picky, very few places will even call you back, but even then, you usually have to go through like 3-4 different interviews, lots of stages. I slacked off in college and got a B- average and I still haven't gotten any offers after graduating this spring. A bunch of my friends are in similar situations.
Lots of big companies are closing their US offices to outsource to India and Poland and shit like that, where they get significantly cheaper wages.
But if you have a job, it's pretty good and pays pretty well

Attached: 1558864108693.jpg (240x240, 6K)

just photoshop your transcript
stop being a loser