/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Faroese
>What language should I learn?
Catalan

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: kattströ.png (1080x810, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rebond
rimbalzo
chouk

>Det fick mig att se dum ut
>dum
More like fånig 2bh. Dum in such a sentence means dumb/stupid.

>Vet du var de säljer de där chiper(?)
chipsen (if potato chips)
chippen (if microchips/computer chips in general)
markerna (if poker chips)

>Det är så kallt jag måste bära en tröja

>Jag kommer förneka dig (?)
>(?)
idk man, fucking lyrics in translation challenges are always the worst
Your translation could be correct, or it could be wrong, we just don't know...
Most likey it's "jag kommer att förvägra dig" tho, as I'm guessing deny here means denying someone something.

>Denna världen tillhör mig
värld*
or
Den här världen tillhör mig, which I'd say sounds better.

Nostalgic song btw

>Jag har just avslutat mina övningar
Jag blev precis klar med mina övningar.

What I didn't quote was good.

Attached: PeepoPointersCool.png (128x66, 13K)

french or russian lads?

Finnish, then Nepali

Why not Russian French?

Still going Aramaic user even though I'm riddled with disease 24/7

Attached: CK2game 2019-06-17 19-22-20-04.png (1920x1080, 3.88M)

I hate the league leaderboards on Duolingo. They just cause unnecessary stress and aren't helping me to learn more.

Not a bad idea. You do kinda need to know both to read Tolstoy's War and Peace.

Don't use duolingo.

Duolingo and memrise are good for practice, but to really learn the language, you have to watch
let's plays and TV shows of familiar shows/games in your target language; like the weebs do.

didn't ask

You don't have to ask to get proven wrong

didn't ask

Just disable this shit, duh. I didn't even bother to change default nickname, that's how hardcore I am at ignoring useless junk.

>Si, I am learning European Spanish. How do you know?

Attached: Buff Duo.jpg (244x206, 4K)

duolingo/memrise is tedious and mundane as fuck. Why do people enjoy it? I much prefer partaking in activities that make the language come alive like reading/listening to music/translations

I never understood how people can learn language from absolute zero by just reading/listening. At the very least you have to learn orthography to make sense of word transformation and how they go in sentence. Otherwise you just end up knowing bunch of disconnected phrases.

Popular for normans

I must maintain my 550+ day streak.

i still review vocab. I just think the flashcard system is monotonous. Do you not also review conjuration charts as you're translating text?

>Good canada user, good. Remember, break this streak and I'll break your waifu's legs.

At first you don't want to believe in the owl memes, but then it's the only way to explain your addiction.

Attached: Duolingo.png (300x168, 4K)

Rate how I did translating the first four lines of this this song I'm listening to, germanbros.
>Fucking throw you in the toilet, fucking shit on your balls
Werf dich im ficken Toilette, Scheissen auf dein ficken Balle
>With my cock in your ass
Mit meinen Schwanz in dein Arsch,
>While you're eating my poo
Wahrend isst du meinen Kot.
>You won't come up for air, because you want to die in shit.
Du werd nicht kommst fur Luft, da willst du in scheisse sterben.

Right now I am still learning the very basics of Czech, so I am just following the course.
With English I already had decent understanding of how language works when I began watching movies and reading forums, and even then it was pretty hard to understand, because school English doesn't really cover that much. I wasn't really enjoying it either, I was driven by need to access cool stuff, and it was just frustrating most of the time.
Maybe I am just lazy, I dunno. Once I got to the point where it was easier to read definition of the word rather than translation of it, I just stopped learning properly and switched to passive consumption of English media.

page 10

>learning Spanish instead of a зaмeчaтeльный language like Japanese or Russian

bump

Thanks for the reply, I don't like not acknowledging corrections

Yikes to both the lyrics and German

For the first few weeks it was out I dumped a bunch of time into practicing old easy stuff and got myself to ruby league. Now I just do the 50xp minimums every day and hover around the middle of the list.

If you're doing Spanish or Portuguese then the stories on PC are a really easy way to rack up xp.

In my experience gold league was the most competitive for some reason. Sapphire was still difficult but not as much.

Please serious answers. Should I start with both and stick to the one I enjoy the most?

Yes.

No.

English is in desperate need of the Finnish vai/tai.

Can you repeat the question?

You son of a bitch, you ruined it:
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY
I was in the middle of filling out the dumb captcha for maybe.

Use 4chanX with noscripy captcha, it's much faster and it doesn't fail simply because google hates you.

meinem*
deinem*
wirst*

and there's a few more sentence structure mistakes

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME NOWWWWWWWWWWW

It still wouldn't have helped. The update just came through while I was doing it, user probably sent it sooner.

I don't understand how people learn languages at all

No matter what I can never make sense of anything

>durrrrr how do babies learn language??

With a completely different process than adults. It's a retarded way to learn, regardless

Better get back to mindlessly grinding your methodologically superior Soylingo™ instead, then. You don't want to demote out of your precious Ruby League after all now do you, goy?

Is your flag even capable of not leaving angry shitposts everywhere

By spending two years making disconnected sounds then speaking tiny words and phrases in a retarded voice for another 2 before they can sort of function. Have you ever talked to a 5 year old? They can barely spell circle after 5 years but they're the golden standard for language learning methods?
Before you quip back with another memelingo post, know that I am an FSI chad because I am an adult who uses serious and well developed methods and am not afraid of a book.

Ok cool, now consider the fact that their brains are 3 times smaller than the average adult and how fast they acquire language comparatively and you'll see why your fallacy makes no sense.
I am not afraid of textbooks, it's just that I have a good grasp of how language acquisition works and recognise them for what they are: complementary, optional tools worshipped by suckers who want to learn language but at the same time need all their information handed in a plate to them in the most inoffensive way possible. This aspect of the human personality is also probably why Duolingo is so popular, it doesn't require any thinking or filling the gaps like in i+1, it's just artificial progress optimised for the low attention-span nature of millennials.

You said it well. Exactly why I don't think that semen slurping website is for me.

Bump to keep the fascinating Duolingo discussion going.

It's pretty ironic that he's shitting on Duo for being low effort while defending even lower effort methods

French is definitely easier for a Portuguese speaker.

Stop embarrassing yourself already niggy, you clearly know nothing about methods.

Are you by any chance, I have a reason for asking

No

Okay good, you've been a complete hostile twat talking out of your ass and I don't want to help you
I'm not fluent in either but have studied both for a while, but here's some thoughts I have

French
>More memorization than anything, not very fun to learn in my own experience
>Extremely difficult to understand spoken due to parts of words commonly not being pronounced, liaisons etc.
>French people in general are overly rude and aggressive to learners (and ironically they get mad when people go to France and *don't* learn the language) and from the times I've been to France, just behave pretty badly in general (yes I've been to places besides Paris). This was another reason I didn't want to continue learning
Again even compared to Russian I didn't study it much so take this with a grain of salt and the rest of the shaker with it

Russian
>Cyrillic is not difficult to learn but it will slow reading/writing down significantly, since you remember the 'shapes' of words rather than individual letters it's also difficult to read cognates written in the latin alphabet
>Declension gets rather complex but it's consistent and not -that- hard to learn, the bigger issue is there's a lot
>Genders can be guessed in most words
>Words are pronounced how they're spelled IF YOU KNOW THE STRESS
>Stress is nearly random aside from some small patterns, affects the pronunciation of words significantly due to vowel reduction
>The above plus voicing/devoicing/prepositions make it a little annoying to understand spoken but it isn't too bad
>Verb conjugation is a nightmare
>Aspects make you learn each verb twice, essentially
>People [the ones online anyway] are generally decent, polite and helpful to learners. Best posters on Jow Forums imo

Oh right, I recommend Russian highly between the two

Why would I want advice from someone that doesn't understand something as simple as language acquisition?

You just said it wasn't you, and why would it be when you clearly know everything and everyone else is wrong because they just totally are bro

lol funny you say that because assuming you're I posted a big reply explaining why exactly you're wrong and you just chose to ignore it.

I'm not that guy but you're still talking completely out of your ass and if you had the slightest idea how neuroplasticity reduces with age you wouldn't be arguing

Actually after reading he's also a moron

你好

>neuroplasticity
wew this fallacy again
Neuroplasticity is a very interesting concept because the point of it is that the human brain is able to change its structure with time yet all you retards seem to get from it is that language acquisition is LITURLY IMPOSSIBUL for adults, which just makes you sound like those monolinguals in the 20th century who thought learning more than one language was harmful.

You keep thinking in absolutes. Harder to learn doesn't mean impossible but that doesn't mean learning methods are identical between children and adults. Anyway it's late as fuck and I'm going, if you infer this as a concession then go ahead

While it is often said that tai is to be used in affirmative clauses and vai is to be used in question clauses, a more precise difference is that tai is an inclusive or, while vai is an exclusive or. For instance, while Söitkö sinä leivän tai hedelmät? and Söitkö sinä leivän vai hedelmät? are both correct, the former asks in a yes or no question if you ate bread, fruit, bread and fruit, or nothing, while the latter asks which you ate, the bread, or the fruit.

Thanks for the wiktionary copy/paste, Jere-Pekka.

Attached: 1444485398991.jpg (800x600, 124K)

You see, that's the problem. They are indeed identical. They're both based on i+1. The only difference is that as an adult you won't have as many opportunities of exposure (input) as you would as a child. Whether neuroplasticity actually plays a part is not proven, but even if you consider that our higher intelligence as fully grown humans would outweigh it either way.

How do you learn japanese pitch accent?

Don't bother with it until later. Actually, don't bother with it at all since the only way to learn it by ear anyway.

Somebody has Duolingo Plus? Do you recommend it? I currently have a basic English level and I want to improve it.

Attached: 2v8h84w.png (545x420, 31K)

Nonbenefits

>paying for d*olingo
don't do this

duolingo is probably of no use to you if you have a basic level of english

Yo estudio espanol. Been at it for two weeks with DuoLingo now, have about 5k exp. It's a good way to kill time when you're shitting, waiting for the bus/train etc. I hope I'll be able to read some spanish short stories by the end of the year.

xd

Attached: 64664223_2300610350022586_2969341978145193984_n.png (550x677, 242K)

those are some moderate goals, it might just work. good luck desu

you've really got to remember to use the umlaut, and if that's not available use the combination "ue/oe/ae" to substitute. it's not a stylistic addition to the letter, it actually changes the sound

Gracias mi amigo! I don't have any delusions about being able to become fluent through DL, but at least I'll be able to start reading less complex books and use that as a stepping stone to eventually becoming even better.

xdd

Attached: 64834539_1362329353906028_2205788898490056704_n.jpg (604x599, 20K)

^^

Watch more anime. Pitch accent changes regionally

someone invited me to the discord a few weeks ago but i didn't have time
so if someone could invite me that would be great

send ur discord name, theres no public invite. i'll get you in there dudelad fambro

I learned and like both.

Attached: 2202014163157.jpg (728x435, 53K)

Lappol
you're the guy that invited me, right?

is it the r/lang discord?

sure am, i need the numbers behind the # too tho
yuh

pardon me, i never used discord
Lappol

ey get me in there too anguscs#0418

why?

aight chief

>Facile
I fell over
>Sono caduto
It made me look silly
>Mi ha fatto sembrare uno sciocco
That's not what I was thinking
>Non era su questo che pensava
Do you know where they sell those chips?
>Sai dove vendono quelle patatine fritte
It's so cold I had to wear a jumper
>È cosí freddo che ho bisogno di indossare un maglione
I will deny you
>Ti vado a negare
This world belongs to me
>Il mondo appartiene a me (appartienemi?)
I just finished my exercises
>Ho appena finito i miei esercizi

Fuck it, me too please dqp#7470

>dqp#7470
aite

I'd like in on this sausage fest chief
Ween#5580

im a grill :)

Danke

>Non era su questo che pensava
"Non è quello che pensavo"
>È cosí freddo
"Fa così freddo"
>Ti vado a negare
"Ti rinnegherò"
We don't use that construction to form the future in italian
>(appartienemi?)
"mi appartiene" if you want
The pronominal particle goes after the verb only with infinite, imperative and gerundio tenses

Grazie, friendo.

Bump because reasons