/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Swiss Danish
>What language should I learn?
Dutch Norwegian

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: community_image_1417209546.gif (800x336, 1.29M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xT_lKmbUp7g
endangeredlanguages.com/
omniglot.com/conscripts/tapissary.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=xT_lKmbUp7g

Attached: Midoriya burger.jpg (1000x1000, 163K)

Learning japanese
Miss being in japan, the exposure helped a lot. Might go back next summer.

3.6 peнтгeн. He вeликий, нe yжacный.

Attached: 1555839127068.jpg (750x750, 106K)

Attached: geography.png (322x293, 76K)

French master race

how do you say *shudders* in German?

is there any point in learning another european language i can see japanese or chinese being necessary but everyone in europe already speaks english

Challenge

Easy
>I have a big black dog.
>I can't tell you his name.
>He is named after a racial slur.
>I don't want to get banned again!

Medium
>She rejected the wedding proposal in front of everyone.
>I freaking hate immigrants, they just steal jobs and ruin American identity.
>I thought I almost forgot to do Duolingo today, but I only forgot that I did it as soon as I woke up.
>You should really get some curtains for your room to avoid sunburns.

Hard
>Both the international situation and certain publishing exigencies have dictated the preparation of this book at a far higher rate of speed than we should have liked.
>We wished it editorially to be, and we believe it is, a fine, scholarly, genuinely definitive edition of an enormously important book.
>If small errors have crept in, and we think even those are few and far between, they are due solely to the pressure of time.
>The Austrian and Czecho-Slovakian crises of last year, culminating for the moment in the pact of Munich, have awakened the American public as never before to the seriousness to the world and to themselves of the Nazi program, and consequently to the possible significance of every page of the book that can justly be regarded as the Nazi gospel.

Learn Hungarian.

Attached: 265305f0297af014cb49a505fc793991.png (4592x3196, 830K)

Find your new impossible lang here:

endangeredlanguages.com/

Attached: ELP-Logo-Horiz (2).png (950x252, 24K)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

>how say bye in breton

Attached: 1561947568747s.jpg (104x125, 2K)

I praise the old gods of /lang/ who put together the wiki and language resources

Attached: 1561751731796.jpg (1245x1200, 117K)

Tengo un perro grande y negro.
No te puedo decir su nombre.
Es nombrado por una denigración racial.
No quiero estar banned (prohibido?) otra vez!

Ella negó la propuesta de casarse enfrente de todo el mundo.
Miércoles yo odio imigrantes, solamente roban tabajos y ruinan la identidad estadounidense.
Pensé que a propósito olvidé de hacer Duolingo hoy, pero solamente olvidé que lo hice apenas me desperté.
De verdad debes obtener telones para tu cuarto para evitar quemaduras solares.

Had to look up:
slur
banned
proposal
cuss euphemisms
ruin
as soon as
curtains
sunburns

>I have a big black dog.
Mam dużego czarnego pies.
Nie mogę ci powiedzieć jego imię.
On został nazywany po rasistowskie wyzwisko.
Nie chcę znowu zostać zbanowany!

Ona odrzuciła propozycję małżeństwa przed wszystkimi.
Nienawidzę kurwa imigranci, oni właśnie kradną pracę i niszczą tożsamość Ameryki.
>I thought I almost forgot to do Duolingo today, but I only forgot that I did it as soon as I woke up.
Myślałem, że dzisiaj prawie zapomniałem zrobić Duolingo, ale właśnie zapomniałem, że zrobiłem to tak szybko, jak obudziłem się.
Powinieneś naprawdę dostać trochę zasłon dla twojego pokoju w celu unikania oparzenia słonecznego.

You don't.

>pies
isnt it psa not even gonna bother reading the rest

You're right, I forgot.

yeah the book collection is pretty astounding

>page 9

>Easy
>>I have a big black dog.
Jag har en stor svart hund
>>I can't tell you his name.
Jag kan inte berätta för dig hans namn
>>He is named after a racial slur.
Han är uppkallad efter en ras slur
>>I don't want to get banned again!
Jag vill inte bli förbjuden igen!
>
>Medium
>>She rejected the wedding proposal in front of everyone.
Hon avslog bröllopförslaget framför alla
>>I freaking hate immigrants, they just steal jobs and ruin American identity.
Jag jävla hatar invandrare, de stjäl bara jobb och förstör amerikansk identitet
>>I thought I almost forgot to do Duolingo today, but I only forgot that I did it as soon as I woke up.
Jag trodde jag nästan glömde göra Duoling idag men jag glömde bara att juag gjorde det så snart som jag vaknade upp
>>You should really get some curtains for your room to avoid sunburns.
Du borde verkligen få några gardiner för ditt rum för att undvika solbränna

>stránka deset

Technically you mutts and other Anglophones can easily do without any foreign language, especially in terms of jobs (obviously your field may impact this), so you could say that for you there is no "real" point in learning any language.
Going by mere usefulness criteria, by speaking English you have already covered the general, then the next question is: why do you want to learn a language?
It then follows: which language?

>I have a big black dog.
我有隻大黑狗。
我說不了他的名字。
他的名字是一個種族侮辱。
我不想又被取締了。Should I use 又 or 再 in this context?
她在每個人的前面拒絕他的求婚。
我很恨移民,他們偷我們的工作而且毀美國的雜種身份。
我以為我今天差不多忘記上Duolingo,不過我只忘記我醒了之後已經做了。
如果你不要曬斑,你最好買一些窗簾。

bump

恶魔的trips

1. already pointed out
2. not imię but imieniu
3. nazwany po rasistowskim wyzwisku
4. good
5. good
6. Szalenie nienawidzę imigrantów, oni tylko kradną pracę i niszczą amerykańską tożsamość.
in first part you added kurwa which didn't fit imo also used wrong form of imigranci, other was correct beside właśnie, just was used here as only so it should be tylko
7. , ale tylko zapomniałem, że zrobiłem to zaraz po wstaniu/tylko jak wstałem (idk is that form colloquial), you really need to add tylko to your vocabulary it's really common word
8. Naprawdę powinieneś zdobyć/załatwić (idk is this colloquial) jakieś zasłony do twojego pokoju żeby unikać poparzeń słonecznych.
just ask if you don't understand something in this sentence

Facile
>J'ai un grand chien noir
>Je ne peux pas te dire son prenom
>Son prenom vient d'un insult raciale
>Je ne veux pas être banni encore!
Intermédiaire
>Elle a refusé la demande en mariage devant à tout le monde
>J'hais les immigrés, ils volent nos travails et gâchent l'identité américaine
>Je pensais que j'avais oublié de faire Duolingo aujourd'hui, mais je me suis seulement oublié que je l'avais fait juste réveillé
>Tu devrais vraiment prendre des rideaux pour ta chambre pour éviter des coups de soleil
Difficile
>Soit la situation internationelle que certains besoins de publication ont imposé à la preparation de ce livre un taux de vitesse très plus haut que nous l'aurons voûté
>Éditorialement, nous aurions voûté, et nous croyons que c'est, une édition raffiné, érudit, et vraiment définitif d'un livre très important
>Si des petites erreurs y se sont infiltrées, et nous pensons qu'ils sont peu et dispersées, ils sont seulement en raison de la pression du temps
>Les crises austrichien et tchèque-slovaque de l'année dernière, culminant pour le moment avec le Pacte de Moine, ont réveillé le public americain comme jamais auparavant sur le sérieux du programme nazi pour le monde et pour eux-même, et en consèquence sur le possible sens de chaque page du livre qui peut être avec raison indiqué comme la Bible du nazisme

Is it worth it to learn German?

说不了 is "I can't speak (it)". I feel 我不能/不可以告诉你他的名字。is better. I think they use 又 for bad things and 再 for positive things.

dude noone can say is it worth to learn x, you must decide it by yourself, you need to add in what aspect are asking is it good, is it good to learn it for x, otherwise there is no good answer for that

I am amused by the drachenlord videos. I am wondering how deep the memetic german spurdohole goes.

三Q

>8

>8

argh YES YESSSSSSS

>Did over 1.5 years Worth's of intensive Mandarin
>The kids here don't have a fucking clue what I'm saying
Kinda my fault desu cos I thought tones were unimportant and never bothered memorising them, and thought all the sounds had an equivalent in English

Ever listened to Chinese rap? Without tones it can get extremely tricky to decipher what the rapper is saying.

Easy

Attached: IMG_20190701_153503.jpg (4160x3120, 1.91M)

Why are you doing this?

Medium.
Some of the words I couldn't find, I had to say question for marriage since I could only find 1000 of the 8000 characters.

Attached: _20190701_162521.jpg (3791x1445, 718K)

I've never felt the desire to consume Mandarin media desu

Doing what?

If you are wanting to learn Arabic, will you be able to communicate with people from Morocco to Saudi if you finish? Or no?

Only if you wrote in Standard Arabic, many of the dialects are as far apart as Scots is from English.

Also, there are large numbers of Berber people and most of them can't understand Arabic.

>not consuming the media of your target lang
Big mistake mate. I know Mandarin media isn't exactly high quality, but at least make an effort to watch what the natives are watching. No wonder no one can understand you.
If you want something entertaining to watch, Mandarin dubs of Hong Kong films from the 80s/90s are good.

I am just wondering if the regular people from these would be able to understand you verbally, if you educate yourself with all these Arabic courses there are.

help me Hans

They would be able to although sometimes it might be hard to get your point across. An example for Scots vs English is below;

My bairn wis taen tae the braes wi my faither tae luik fra a deer..

My child was taken to the hills with my father to look for a deer.

There is similar to the difference in the Arabic languages/ dialects.

>XIII

Thank you.

The difference between Arabic dialects can be way more significant than the superficial differences between Scots and English.

>XIII again

Lol @ my brain

Attached: Untitled.png (1633x1172, 59K)

Attached: yikes man.jpg (933x824, 184K)

learning french again, my brain is getting fried

>fra
Are you clinical/critical guy?

If you want to learn Arabic for the purpose of verbal communication, you will also need to learn their dialect? So, communication with Arabians for example, would require you to learn their dialect?

As I understand, all Arabians can understand MSA due to its use in media and for cross-dialect communication. That being said, it's very different to any of the dialects that are used in day to day speech and thus it feels awkward and highly formal (modern Arabic dialects have undergone extensive simplification, whereas MSA is based off of the much more complex Classical Arabic). There isn't really a good analogy in English - perhaps it would be a little like trying to communicate in Middle English.
I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but yeah, for meaningful communication MSA would likely not really be sufficient.

Attached: arabic dialects.png (1316x436, 76K)

look at this image. Consider the differences here. Do you really think that the differences between Scots and English, which are almost entirely limited to pronunciation (and some different lexical items, I will grant you) are comparable to Arabic "dialects" with extremely divergent grammar, huge influence from surrounding languages, etc. etc. ?

Easy
>I have a big black dog.
Tengo un perro negro y grande
No puedo contarte su nombre
El nombre es de origens racista
no quiero ser baneado de nuevo!

Medium
Ella rechazo la propuesta de casarse en frente de todo del mundo.
Yo odio los pinche inmigrantes, ellos simplemente roban los trabajos y deruyen la indentidad americano.
Pense que casi olvide hacer duolingo hoy, pero solo olvide que lo hice justo despue me despierte.
Deberias conseguir unas cortinas para tu habitacion para evitar las quemaduras del sol.

Hard
>Both the international situation and certain publishing exigencies have dictated the
preparation of this book at a far higher rate of speed than we should have liked.
Ambos de las estudiantes iternacionales y specifico agencias de publicar han dictado las preperaciones de este libra en una tasa de velocidad que deberiamos han querido.
>We wished it editorially to be, and we believe it is, a fine, scholarly, genuinely definitive edition of an enormously important book.
lo desemos que editorialmente estar, creimos que lo sea, una tarifa, estudiamente, edicion definitava de un libre massivemente importante.
>If small errors have crept in, and we think even those are few and far between, they are due solely to the pressure of time.
Si errores pequenas ha arrestrado a dentro, y pensamos que hasta los estas pocas y lejos, estan solo porque a la presion de tiempo.
>The Austrian and Czecho-Slovakian crises of last year, culminating for the moment in the pact of Munich, have awakened the American public as never before to the seriousness to the world and to themselves of the Nazi program, and consequently to the possible significance of every page of the book that can justly be regarded as the Nazi gospel.
El Austriano y Czecho-slovakiano crisis del ano pasada, culminando por el momento en el acuerdo de munich, ha despiertado el publico americano como nunca antes al serio a la palabra y por sus mismos del programacion de nazi, y consecuentamente a la significancia possible de todas paginas del libra que puedo justo sea considerado como verdad de Nazi.

holy fuck lol brutal.

>XIII again again

アイスクリームとビールはとてもおいしいです。
今、僕の尻はあまりに大きい、大尻だ!

Attached: 1560301772914.jpg (640x640, 60K)

Per ora
Facile
>I have a big black dog.
Ho un grande cane nero
Non ti puosso dire il suo nome
Il suo nome è un insulto razziale
Non voglio essere espulso/vietato? di nuovo

Medio
Lei ha respinto la proposta di matrimonio di fronte a tutti
Io odio l'emigranti, semplicemente rubano e rovinano la identità americana.
Ho pensato che aveva quasi dimenticato Duolingo oggi, ma solo ho dimenticato che lo aveva fatto doppo di svegliare.
Dovresti ottenere delle tende per la tua stanza per evitare scottature solari

-Kvisleis går det med tråden?
-Joda, den æ dau.

gli emigranti*

Are there any tips/videos about the correct pronunciation of German umlauts?

Threads dead. Dubs picks the language i learn over summer.

tsez

i hope you like russian, user.

Attached: 1546357508489.png (657x624, 46K)

Old English

Check'd.

Yorkshireian.

Mirandês

>Non ti puosso dire il suo nome
"posso"
>espulso/vietato?
"espulso" if you're getting kicked out of a team or something
If the sentence is about some internet site we simply imported the verb "bannare", so "Non voglio essere bannato"
>Io odio l'emigranti, semplicemente rubano e rovinano la identità americana.
"gli immigrati", emigranti are people who are moving away from your country
"semplicemente" is also a bit weird here, if i really had to translate it i'd say "non fanno altro che rubare e rovinare l'identità americana"
>Ho pensato che aveva quasi dimenticato Duolingo oggi, ma solo ho dimenticato che lo aveva fatto doppo di svegliare.
"Ho pensato che avevo quasi dimenticato", but even better would be "Ho pensato di aver quasi dimenticato"
"ma ho solo dimenticato che lo avevo fatto dopo essermi svegliato", or more simply "che lo avevo fatto appena sveglio"
>Dovresti ottenere delle tende per la tua stanza per evitare scottature solari
Correct, just maybe "prendere" sounds better than "ottenere"

Irish Gaelic

Chinese.

Welsh

Cornish.

Breton.

American Sign Language

Holy shit, I am German and didnt know this existed.
Thanks for pointing me towards some amusing peak autism.

You should go on a pilgrimage to his house and post it on Jow Forums.

what is this

Took me 3 seconds to find dozens of them on youtube.
One of those videos will probably be sufficient.

Are you struggling with something specific?

Dilate

Thank, friend, I was really happy that I didn't have google translate too much and it seems I didn't completely fuck everything up.

What?

TapissaryIt's not due to just pronunciation. Scots has a completely different vocabulary, grammar and most of the words are monosyllabic so English speakers can't actually say them.

Tapissary. A writing system that is not written in any language.

omniglot.com/conscripts/tapissary.htm

A Brit posted a challenge before and one of the lines started with "It's clinical to..." when he meant critical. He insisted that saying clinical was correct.

What does that have to do with Scots against English being similar to the Arabic dialects?

Please answer the question.

Does duolingo really work?
I started to learning Arabic and so far it goes pretty good (I'm first on Silver League).
I wonder how much different is the Arabic in duolingo than the Arabic Arabs speak here

>Does duolingo really
no.

>Does duolingo
no.

>Scots has a completely different vocabulary, grammar and most of the words are monosyllabic so English speakers can't actually say them.
It just doesn't though. Try reading anything in Scots and one quickly realises that the grammar is all but identical, vocabulary is overwhelmingly similar (though, again, not identical), and those "monosyllabic words that English speakers can't say" just aren't a problem.
Now, spoken Scots is much harder to understand, sure, but spoken slowly and clearly at least a fair bit should be understandable, and with even the slightest knowledge of phonological changes and some vocab, an English speaker could likely understand basically everything being said.

Duolingo is working for me but I'm also using other resources.