Is a car a good investment

my parents want me to learn to drive, but id rather keep my money in crypto. Are cars good investments? i dont really need one as where i work is a 5 minute walk from my house. am i right in thinking that the money it would cost to buy, insure and run a car would be of more use to me in crypto where it is activly making me more money. i have $3k in link rn and dont want to take it out for this

Attached: 1531917324007.jpg (1014x1143, 264K)

You do realize you can learn to drive but not buy a car right? Stop being unskilled and learn to drive.

yeah they want me to buy a car too

a car is not a direct investment since you will end up selling it at a loss

however it does open opportunities and that could be considered an investment. What if there is some great job just out of walking distance? or a qt3.14?

being able to drive where you want is a good investment for your life. even if it isn't for your finanicial situation right now.

thats true, but is it worth pulling out of the market right now? i dont have any other savings so thats what i would have to do

If you're not retarded you can start driving basically immediately once someone tells you how the controls of the car work. You don't really benefit from a car unless you're seeking a job that isn't walking/biking distance from your house, or other things that you might need a car for.

nah i wouldnt do that

My car is worth it just for the ability to drive out of the city on the weekends after a week of mentally draining wageslaving slowly driving me to suicide to the middle of the nowhere surrounded by mountains and fields with no humans.

Buy a used car for cheap that runs well.

New cars are a boomer meme.

Who is gonna buy the new cars then you asshole? Gotta get second handers somehow? The boomers already own five cars

user you can also use a car to get outside. autist neets on here won't tell you this but these are your best years. go out, find some friends, go hike and climb and camp and fish. a car opens all that up for you. money can't buy memories.

>is a car a good investment
Depends on your situation and what car you're buying. For most people buying a car, in general, is a good investment. They just buy or lease the wrong cars.

>my parents want me to learn to drive
Learning how to drive is ALWAYS a good investment. It's literally one of the most fundamental skills in our society and you will never ever become 100% independent if you can't even drive a car. Get your license, no matter what. The amount of freedom you get is unbelievable and who knows when you'll need one. Imagine your mother having a heart attack and you can't even drive her to the hospital.
Just make sure to lean driving a manual fom the start, automatics are literally brainlet tier and more expensive to drive.

Also cars are cool and fun

Attached: DXZ6GrnVQAAnokE.jpg (750x642, 104K)

Does your mom drive you to interviews or something? Yes learn to drive and just borrow your parents cars when you need em. If you buy your own car, dont spend more than 5K. Its a shitty value proposition to buy anything other than a used Camry or Civic.

t. asks mommy for a lift to mcdonalds everyday

this

How to get a used car for $5k that won't break down in less than a month? Last car I got was a civic that died literally 3 weeks in.

That is the point - you let a brainlet buy new and sell his bags at a massive loss to you.

It's very simple.

1. Learn how to drive with your parents car, don't need to buy one
2. Get our license
3. Once you need one and parents can't take you to a place or public transport is to cumbersome you buy one

Gabish?

Well, cars aren't investments they're multifaceted assets. Cars do not, in and of themselves, accrue money. Cars can alleviate opportunity cost and allow you to gain more money.

Overall, if you need a car to get to work which will then make you money then yes it is a good asset to possess. Otherwise tell your parents no and that it is not a sound financial decision/

yeah i think thats the sensible thing to do

Also if you're american you can fucking drive at 16. Take this huge opportunity and get you license ASAP

also i just remembered that my work provides hire cars. so i think a lincense for now is probly the best. also means i dont have to dump all my bags

You know that you're not obligated to buy a car in order to learn how to drive, OP? Anyway, I'd consider getting a car if you don't have good public transportation, or if you're ready to make an investment that will be useful for the rest of your life.
On a side note, who is this girl and where was this photo taken? Is she known? Do you happen to know more about her?

Get it inspected by a mechanic. I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion for 5K a few years ago and havent had any problems since. Gas milage is good too. The only problem is that the black interior can get hot in the summer.

Jesus Christ, OP. Get yourself a fucking car or at least learn to drive. How old are you? Even an NYC fag like me has been licensed since 18 and owned a car since 21.

>On a side note, who is this girl and where was this photo taken? Is she known? Do you happen to know more about her?
Reverse google search

>Honda
>breaking
That shits literally mechanical legos user, 14 dollars and some hot glue will almost fix anything on one regardless of issue.

Patrician taste

>is a car a good investment
do you need to drive?

>is learning to drive a good investment
do you need to drive?

What is the biz way to buy a car?

I have a good chance of getting this one job. I don't have a car now but I need one for this job. Job is 40k a year in a low cost area.

I'm thinking about buying a new Honda Fit. It is 18k. A few cars are cheaper but none can match the space and quality.

The bizraellite in me is weighing that I can more easily get the loan for a new car and I expect to put on so few miles (under 5k a year) that dealing with the issues of a used car is not worth it.

So how do I get a cheaper new car, without Uber or other second job?

Attached: 0B6C5435-6314-4E4B-BA56-1979270E224F.jpg (573x322, 58K)

why buy a new car, they lose most of their value in the first month

A car will always be worth less than when you buy it unless you're paying out the ass for a limited run sports car and don't drive it. But all things considered it probably will be worth more than your link after 5 years so you might as well.

Buy a 10th gen Honda civic, 2.0L. Its very reliable, cheap to maintain, cheap to fuel, and comfy

Attached: f208543a9e8c119e03233bd89ea1c63f.jpg (700x450, 54K)

Well a couple reasons.
>new car loans are easier to get
>It is 18k, well below the average new car price
>honda fits hold their value better than most cars
>I feel as though I take care of my things better than most people, so it should last me a long time (10+ years)
>Used car prices are not as cheap as they once were.

do NOT buy a fit. Buy or you will sorely regret it. Fit's have a reputation for being unsafe, also ugly, and you look like a fag in one

Fit is fine but you will get your wheels stolen

Crypto/Car two of the worst investments possible.

Well the consumer reports about the collision safety disagrees.

Civic is more money and doesn't have the space.

I looked worse in my green 2001 Kia Rio years ago.

but the civic is more /fun/
and more power. you can get a used 10th gen for 15k

Why? And do you mean the 16 inch sports model or the 15 inch base model which I plan on getting?

Oh I should have prefaced that I hate driving. It isn't fun. Paying 15k for a used car when I can have a new one for 18k with likely a better loan rate is foolish and not biz.

Investment? A car is the contrary of an investment. It is a need, in your case a luxury. Would you call something that certainly won't give you any returns an investment?

maximum autism

also buy one 2-3 years old if you care so much about money autist, they can depreciate 50% in this time, and typically will last at least 10 years unless you drive like a grandma or wog

a used civic with 20k miles on it is basically new, dont be gey

I inherited my grandfather's old car when he died and my dad wants me to buy some new car with blindspot detection and all that shit. Thing is he can't actually make me spend my money.

A three year old fit in my neck of the woods is around 12 to 14k depending on model usually with 30 to 40k miles. I'd rather buy the new base model with zero miles for 18k.

>driver's license
No brainer, as previous anons have stated
>buying a car
Run a quantitative analysis on opportunity cost rated against estimated ROI of your current assets. Things to consider:
1) psychological benefits of having freedom of mobility and social currency
2) likelihood+estimated value of opportunities arising outside walking distance
3) opportunity cost of alternative means of transportation based on 2); how likely will these options be available? How reliable do they need to be? Are there associated risks in increased travel time?
The calculation should look something like
>car budget = sum of 1) to 3) opportunity cost value - ROI*(budget) - depreciation rate*(budget)
With some uncertainty error baked in. Run it for best-to-worst case scenarios, evaluate likelihood, and determine courses of action from there. Voila, that's quant analysis 101 for free

yeah, in this instance the depreciation isnt as large because honda are notoriously reliable.

My family have had the same one with no problems ever (beyond factory recall safety stuff), for probably 15 years

A car may depreciate but its still an asset, you USE it to get shit done

Yeah I mean I'm not saying I would not but used. But 40,000 miles for a $4000 cheaper car doesn't add up. That is a depreciation of 10 cents a mile. It should be closer to 20 cents or 30 cents according to the government.

So whats your budget for car? Is it 3k? Also, I assume you're in the US?