/lang/ - Language Learning General

>What language(s) are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Ask questions about your target language!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Participate in translation challenges or make your own!
>Make frens!

Read this shit some damn time:
4chanint.fandom.com/wiki/The_Official_Jow Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Totally not a virus, but rather, lots of free books on languages!:
mega.nz/#F!x4VG3DRL!lqecF4q2ywojGLE0O8cu4A

Check this pastebin for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides:
pastebin.com/ACEmVqua

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:
FAQ U:
>How do I learn a language? What is the best way to learn one? How should I improve on certain aspects?
Read the damn wiki
>Should I learn lang Y so I can learn lang X?
No
>What is the most useful language?
Ancient American
>What language should I learn?
New British

Old thread Old challenge

Attached: getkilling.png (588x603, 323K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5XtDSei90ZM
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

is hungarian the easiest uralic language to learn?
which if not?

ur options are basically finnish, estonian, and hungarian
id say estonian would be slightly harder but thats simply because of a lack of resources
otherwise i would basically consider it a choice between finnish and hungarian, they seem to be roughly of equal "difficulty" (finns/huns help me out if youre here) so i would mostly choose based on usefulness/which one you like more

¿Thoughts on the catalan language?

Attached: D198SvYWsAIQkpr.jpg (1580x1533, 277K)

>¿

>>¿

Attached: 1562880954369.jpg (1618x2100, 934K)

Unironically the superior way of making questions
imagine accidentally thinking something isnt a question until you reach the last question mark

I am the German master

Attached: Untitled.png (734x854, 85K)

Teraz shitpostuję.
Może ktoś ocenić tego strasznego potwora (w skali od jeden do dziesęć), który wleciał mi do pokoju?

Attached: IMG_3114.jpg (968x1296, 236K)

Chill, lad, I just meme arrowed it because it's not used in English orthography.

Go to bed Sven

Nej du

alright, nice and early

Easy:
>Austrians make me sick.
>Austrians are lower than vermin.
>Austrians are an inherently dirty people.

Medium:
>Austrians are null in value to both man and God alike.
>The mere sight of an Austrian is enough to make small children cry.
>I tolerate the existence of Austrians on the same planet as I in the same manner I tolerate chronic back pain.
>A paralyzed begger living in a box in an alley anywhere else in the world is still more fortunate in life than a wealthy, comfortable Austrian.

Hard:
>God has not cursed any other people as much as he has cursed the Austrians.
>Any misfortunate inflicted upon me in life is tolerable, for I always have the knowledge that at least I wasn't born Austrian.
>I would rather be castrated without anesthetic than forced to exist in this world as an Austrian.
>There is no language on this Earth sufficient to describe my absolute disdain for Austrians.
>Vice permeates within the Austrian character to such an extent that wickedness and Austriandom are the same entity.
>If I am ever cursed with the severe misfortune of encountering an Austrian in real life, outside of the internet, I will tear my own throat out with my bare hands without hesitation; lest I continue to suffer an Austrian in my proximity.

Bardzo dobrze, ale spójrz na tę dużą czarną ćmę.

Attached: 310.jpg (5312x2988, 2.97M)

what's something i can watch or listen to in Italian?

rai
or go full boomer and listen to italian classics

the average /lang/uidboi:
>reads grammarbooks
>memorizes conjugation tables
>does sentence-building exercises
>makes translations of poorly drafted English sentences
me:
>has fun by listening to J-pop songs and masturbating to h-manga
>concerns himself more with getting a feel for meaning than structure
>doesn't care about output at all (lest it be essential for survival)

my wife chino... I WANT TO FUCK CHINO
please chino is so cute my wife chino is so cute chino chan sex chino sex with chino i'd like some more kafuu chino sex with chino kafuu chino my wife cute is so chino wife

Who the hell thinks masturbation is "fun"? What is your problem?

チノちゃんと同じ部屋にいったら、何をすろうか?

People die, if they are killed.

TheMoreYouKnow.png

Take the Cyrenaic pill

Attached: image.jpg (373x524, 100K)

If their school was so great why did they get btfo'd by the Stoics

They didn't.

is this really it?

Why does 90% of Western philosophy follow the principles of Stoicism?

>What is Utilitarianism?
>What is Egoism (both the Stirnerist and Randian variants)?

That's not me this time, it is a different leaf. There's nothing really wrong with his challenge. The opinions in the sentences are only supposed to be translated for practice, not engaged with seriously. I don't really care what goes in a challenge as long as there are easy, medium, and hard sentences.

help me with portugueses pls

>Personally, I am a Romanticist.

Attached: 91.jpg (1080x1331, 135K)

find italian athlete or singers name and search for their interviews on youtube.

also andrea bocelli

Utilitarianism isn't mutually exclusive with Stoicism, and Egoism is retarded modernist bullshit that only came into play recently after degeneracy and anti-intellectualism started becoming acceptable by society (which was built by Stoics to begin with). Anyway, those two philosophies alone didn't even influence 2% of Western philosophy so I don't really know why you thought that was a good counter-argument.

Is there a good comprehensive resource for learning Chinese anywhere? For Japanese I have itazuraneko (blows every other resource I've ever seen out of the water) but Chinese has a scattering of half completed guides on the internet that go over each stage/the recommended order in vastly different ways

Why do you call it "itazuraneko"? That's the the name of the discordfag who made it. The site's name is "DJT Guide".

it's the best coping mechanism lol

It's just an easy way to remember it since that's the website name

Tell your other brain cell to get it together and remember shit properly then.

ちのちゃんは 現実存在

Attached: 1563133640071.jpg (1024x724, 376K)

Naming is arbitrary m'nizzlewizzle. Most people call exhentai the sadpanda website, just as many people call America Freedomia or Burgerland. If it's easy to recall and relatively unambiguous, then people will more likely than not prefer a simple name over a complex one, or one that may be confused for others.
If you mention the djt guide, I could think of either the whole site, or just the main user guide, sans the library itself. If, on the other hand, I say "itazuraneko", there's nothing else that can come to my mind that I'd confuse it with.

Well, he confused me by using some stupid discordfag's name to describe a site that has been called "DJT Guide" for years.

この文章に動詞を見えない。

I wasn't even aware it was named after some "discordfag". I hate discord trannies probably just as much as you do, but I don't feel the need to cast everything related to them into a pit of fire.

What's the difference between "validate" and "justify"?

>Łatwy
(This is such a stupid question, but is it proper to have these in singular masculine form? Previously I was using the plural form because there were multiple sentences, but others seems to be using the sg. masc. declension.)
Słabo mi na widok Austriaków.
Austriacy są gorsze od robactwa.
Austriacy są właściwie brudnymi ludźmi.

>Średni
Austriacy nie mają dla ludzi ani Boga żadnej wartości.
Właśnie widok Austriaka wystarczy sprawić, że dzieci płaczą.
Toleruję istnienie Austriaków w taki sam sposób jak toleruję przewlekłego bólu pleców.
Sparaliżowany żebrak, który żyje w pudełku w alejce w każdym innym miejscu na świecie, wciąż ma więcej szczęścia niż bogaty wygodny Austriak.

>Trudny
Bóg nigdy nikogo nie przeklął tak dużo jak przeklął Austriaków.
Każde nieszczęście, z którego jestem zadany, jest znośne, bo zawsze wiem, że przynajmniej nie urodziłem się jako Austriak.
Wolałbym być wykastrowany bez znieczulenia, niż być zmuszony istnieć na tym świecie jako Austriak.
Nie ma języka, który jest wystarcza opisać moja absolutna pogarda dla Austriaków, na ziemi.
Nałógi przenikają w charakterze Austriaka w takim stopniu, że niegodziwość i Austriactwo są te same rzeczy.
Jeżeli kiedykolwiek jestem przeklęty z ciężkim nieszczęściem spotkania Austriaka w prawdziwym życiu na zewnątrz internetu, bez wahania wyrwę moje gardło z gołymi rękami, więc nie kontynuuję cierpienia z powodu Austriaka w mojej bliskości.

Justify is something you do for your own actions.
Validate is something that would be have to be done by a third party.

Off the top of my head:
The difference is basically when you validate something, you are approving of it in any manner, and when you justify something, you are proving it just or right. Also, there are other related meanings of validation.

You can justify others' actions.

emotional waking up this morning

it wasnt a dream

it really did come home

Attached: tumblr_punmmjyehR1u5f06vo1_500.jpg (414x680, 107K)

The lang wiki

Come on now, justify is literally a single verb that means "to make just/right", it ain't harder than that. Validate means "to make/declare valid" (therefore it also has some overlap with confirming). It's literally in the names.

>I will justify these actions.
>I will validate the data later.

>Can you justify your expenses?
>Validate your information and try again.

Etc

You can validate someone's actions and you can also validate someone.

>went through an Italian grammar book and came out with minimal vocab but good at tenses and verb conjugations
>now want to join an italian class but my knowledge is scattered all over their curriculum so beginner will have some easy moments and so would intermediate
do I just start from scratch again?
it doesn't sound bad having a class be easy but I'm paying to learn

だから中国語の方は読みなさい

Attached: 1561051084617.jpg (1000x645, 113K)

join the class, it'll be fun and you'll make real life frens

Try speaking Italian with the other students. Ask if they want to practice speaking Italian with you.

>中国語
その言語知らない。

Help meeeeeee

Try writing some more complex structures next time, I'm not going to waste my time filling out the post form just to say "it's all correct".

bump

Learning languages is beneficial

Shame I wasted time getting good at French and Mandarin only to never have to use it and forgetting it all.

오스트리아인들을 싫어해요.
오스트리아인들은 벌레보다 인하해요.
오스트리아인들은 원래 더러워요.

인들과 하나님에게 오스트리아인들이 유익하지 없어요.
그냥 오스트리아인들이 보니 아이가 울 수 있어요.
저는 내 만성 등 아프기처럼 세계에 오스트리아인들 존재를 용인해요.

>it's been half a year since I last practised.
It's probably all wrong.

Attached: 1563003614933.png (728x483, 258K)

greetings, trvefrens

do the challenge NOW

Imagine being such an autistic freak that you couldn't deduce a question from context.

bump

>Austriacy są gorsze od robactwa
it should be
Austriacy są gorsi od robactwa
>Właśnie widok Austriaka wystarczy sprawić, że dzieci płaczą.
właśnie doesnt fit there
the correct sentance would be
Sam widok Austriaka sprawia, że dzieci płaczą
or if you want to use wystarczy
Sam widok austriaka wystaczy, żeby dzieci płakały
>Austriacy są właściwie brudnymi ludźmi
właściwie means actually, you should put "z natury" meaning they are born with this characteristic, so it would be
Austriacy są z natury brudnymi ludźmi
>Nie ma języka, który jest wystarcza opisać moja absolutna pogarda dla Austriaków, na ziemi.
Nie ma języka na ziemi w którym mogę opisać moją absolutną pogarde dla Austriaków
The grammar in this language is probably impossible to learn for a foreigner, although i admire you for trying to learn this language

Just finished a new podcast for french learner.

Can you guys give me your review because I share it ?

youtu.be/5XtDSei90ZM

Thanks a lot !

you have a cool voice

i like it, but you should expirement with some backgrounds the current one seems a bit too bright or distracting, at least for me

>Teraz shitpostuję.
gównopostuję*

>Austrians make me sick.
Nie mogę znieść Austriaków.
Austriacy są gorsi od szkodników
Austriacy są nieodłącznie brudnymi ludźmi

>Austrians are null in value to both man and God alike.
W naszej i Boga opinii, Austriacy nie mają wartości
Widok Austriaka to wystarczy, żeby mali dzieci płakali

>cricket
Nobody cares about that sport outside of bongland

>I tolerate the existence of Austrians on the same planet as I in the same manner I tolerate chronic back pain.
Toleruję istnienie Austriaków na moim świecie, w ten sam sposób, jak toleruję chroniczne bóle pleców
>A paralyzed begger living in a box in an alley anywhere else in the world is still more fortunate in life than a wealthy, comfortable Austrian.
Sparaliżowany żebrak, który mieszka w pudle gdzieś w alecje, ma wiele szczęścia w życie niż bogaty Austriak

Facile
>Les autrichiens me dégoûtent
>Les autrichiens sont pires que les vermines
>Les autrichiens sont intrinsèquement personnes sales
Intermèdiaire
>Les autrichiens n'ont aucune valeur soit pour les hommes que pour Dieu
>La seule vue d'un autrichien suffit à faire pleurer les petits garçons
>Je tolére la presence des autrichiens sur la même planete où je vis de la même façon que je tolére les maux de dos chroniques
>Un clochard paralysé qui vit dans un boite dans une route ailleurs dans le monde est plus chanceux qu'un autrichien riche et confortable
Difficile
>Dieu n'a maudit aucun autre peuple autant qu'il a maudit les autrichiens
>N'importe quel malheur qui m'est infligé est tolérable car j'aurai toujours la conscience de ne pas être autrichien
>Je préférérais être castré sans anésthesique que d'être forcé d'exister dans ce monde comme un autrichien
>Il n'y a pas de langue dans ce monde suffisiante pour décrire mon dégoût absolu pour les autrichiens
>Le vice impregne le caractère autrichien à tel point que méchanceté et autrichieneté sont la même entité
>Si j'avais la malchance d'éncontrer un autrichien dans la vie réelle, hors de l'internet, je vais couper ma gorge avec mes mains, plutôt que continuer à supporter un autrichien à proximité

I tried it but I feel like if it's not moving it's too static :/ You feel like the editing's good enough ? I did eveything in one morning, so I probably missed a few thing

no one cares

Imagine thinking that all languages have a structure that lets you deduce a question from context?

This word order makes it not a question.

thats the difference between english and spanish
in Spanish a sentence could be "Tienes los papeles" (You have the papers), but the question form would be exactly the same "¿Tienes los papeles?" - Do you have the papers?

We also use the same word order for questions and affirmative questions, but we don't use the ¿ thing

its just spanish standarization
the starting question mark was originally recommended for long questions in the 18th century, but later was enforced in 19th century
if english had such strong standarization as spanish, words would actually resemble their pronunciation

You're kind of ignoring the fact that the standard form of a question is "¿Tienes tú/tiene él los papeles?", and "¿Él tiene/tú tienes los papeles?" is an odd variant that is meant to highlight the subject's importance (that is to say, xem as opposed to everyone else).
I would suggest you not to try to guess the spelling of English words, like "standardised", based on their Spanish spelling, and to consult them in a English dictionary instead. It might sound kind of unusual to you, but different languages have different rules and customs. Not every culture prizes strongly phonetic spelling.

How different is Ukrainian from Russian and how difficult is it to learn Russian?

Is language closer to mathematics or to music in terms of the way it works?

min esposa ちの。。。 AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH ちのちゃんちのちゃん *嗅ぐ* *嗅ぐ*
ARGGHH YESS いい匂いいい香りああああああああOh yes mm yes arghh

Attached: CHINO.png (255x170, 2K)

I'd compare it to finite state automatons as in discrete math.

What do you guys think about Duolingo?

It's not very good
You're better off reading a textbook with audio tapes + testing yourself with Anki

Fun little side tool. A waste of time if you dedicate any more than 5% of your learning time.

Okay for simple languages like Danish

Today I got my German beginner news. I found out that Ursula von der Leyen Germany's military minister is resigning, stepping down, so she can be president of the EU. But uhhh .... their military minister was literally a stay at home mother of 8 children. She has never been involved with the military before becoming the chief boss. Did you know that?

Pro:
> lots of resources and speakers
> interesting history and culture
> incredibly rich language (both in literature and swearing)
> just three tenses (present, past and perfective future)
> no articles
> easy to deduce gender
> the alphabet ain't too difficult
> Russians are generally helpful with learners (the whiter the better)
cons:
> complex declensions for nouns, participles and adjectives
> motion verbs are nightmare
> stress changes the pronunciation of words but it is not usually marked and it is mobile
> lots of irregularities and exceptions
> imperfective/perfective distinction (meaning you usually have to learn the two forms for each verb)
> lots of prefixes and suffixes and lots of new words being coined

You forgot one con: Russian boipucci is bad

> motion verbs are nightmare
What's so special about them from your point of view?

How can I improve my capacity of discerning words in spoken speech, bros?
Even in languages I reached proficiency in reading I still have some hard time when it comes to audio. Have no otic handicap - that I know of.

>Easy:
>Austrians make me sick.
Aвcтpийцы дeлaют мeня тoшнит.
Aвcтpийцы нижe чeм вpeдитeли
Aвcтpийцы - гpязныe люди

Medium
Bид Aвcтpийцa дocтaтoчнo, чтoбы cдeлaть мaлeньких дeтeй плaкaть.
I can't do the rest.

Also, you have a retarded definition of easy, medium and hard.

>spoken speech
Sorry. I've been woken for too long

tu parle un peu trop lentement qui me semble très condescendant

et, en plus, on s'habitue à la voix de quelqu'un trés rapidement, il faut donc parler plus vite pour défier le public

Reminder to learn Latin.