DJT - Daily Japanese Thread #2213.8

DJT is a Japanese language 勉強スレ for 人々 interested in the language, anime, manga, visual novels, light novels and Japanese video games.
Japanese speakers learning English are welcome, too.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
itazuraneko.neocities.org/library/librarymain.html
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous Thread:

Attached: djt121.png (1373x1300, 105K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iknow.jp/courses/764467
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youbian_dubian
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou_system
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitōrei_Edict
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority
youtube.com/watch?v=CvzqmNEwzHM
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_of_Age_Day
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/暗器
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_and_vertical_writing_in_East_Asian_scripts#Right-to-left_horizontal_writing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wa_(Japan)#The_word_Wa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_pejoratives_in_written_Chinese
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/528.html
core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/459.html
youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-jA04OwAc
youtube.com/watch?v=f7TboWvVERU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

“造物主”

>あと30分もすると、次の授業も終わって昼休み入るぜ。昼休みに入る前に外でないと駅まで飯食いにいけないしさ
Does 「外でないと駅まで飯食いにいけないし」 mean to get something outside the school or by the station?

>"外でないと"駅まで飯食いにいけないし
maybe the contraction of "外に出ないと"
>Unless going outside before the lunch break we can't (won't have enough time to) eat it around the station.

In a restaurant

I never considered that, but it makes sense here.
TY!

This weekend I checked some new animes including the pic. It's not a bad one comparing with other contemporaries but I still don't get why some of posters here got so enchanted with this.
>the fox one was shit

Attached: watashi.jpg (600x338, 40K)

Read the guide

your taste is awful, kill yourself

You'd sound a 100 times more natural if you never used contemporary again

Could you tell me what point of that fur wife shit specifically attracted you so much?
Thanks.
>but if they were 8 to 9 yo it’d have been more natural for me as well desu..

Attached: 8FDE06B1-B39D-4737-B5CC-14D555C9BF1D.jpg (640x360, 39K)

Attached: sewayakikitsune4.jpg (620x444, 82K)

I think there's always a difference in taste when it comes to entertainment between Western and Eastern countries. There's been plenty of anime that flopped in Japan but were still immensely popular in the West. Baccano, Nichijou, and Shinsekai Yori being three iconic examples.

>Nichijou
Actually, I am totally pro when it comes to it and most of anime are exported oversea because it's been popular as well, maybe. (Or were they just pirated?)
There are plenty of fun of that fox wife in this country and I am just not sort of that it seems.
>Baccano and Shinsekai Yori being iconic examples
>But I haven't even dreamed it thanks.

Attached: y_hi.jpg (150x150, 7K)

>>the fox one was shit

Attached: 1559100952749.jpg (1341x695, 497K)

Is this your sister posting? Your English just got way worse.

Could you describe in what point of that did you attracted mostly? いいのじゃよ?
そうだよ!仲良くしてね

Attached: u_smug2.jpg (1096x706, 58K)

It's relaxing and it has cute girls, that's about all I need.
Although I do understand that it's not something everyone would like.

Attached: 1553980783570.png (1280x720, 1.23M)

By Japanese person learning English standards, his English is pretty good. Miles better than Pantsuya's, at least.

>So why fox one was not good for me
>First episodes of series are supposed to be a "hook" for stories in which creators should introduce some intriguing story lines, vivid movement of animation or mere new ideas that are inconceivable, simply "new", for their viewers.
>However, in that one what I got was merely cute girls, a furry incarnation of hundreds yo fox spirit and sol of a tired 20s 社畜 programmer. They're all we have been familiarized, I mean IN ANIME.
>It's totally OK to do CGDCT, and there was a context of relationship between protagonist and the fox in his childhood as well so that we could expect some plot twist later even though its stage setting of a cute supernatural spirit coming to the protagonist is unacceptably ご都合主義.
>But at least creators should make an attempt of showing something new to audience IN THE FIRST EPISODE even if it's adaptation from comics, which they, 動画工房, achieved so successfully in Umaru-chan and Gabriel dropout as that inconceivably catchy songs and minor but effective alterations.
>Maybe the fox one must have been still something new and conveying our peculiar taste of culture to you non-native audiences. But for me, it's not good enough (yes I want too much in anime).
However, the real shit was the pic. It just tortured me desu.

Attached: DefilingTheOriginal.jpg (599x854, 117K)

Senko is just wish fulfillment like most isekai, except it's the type of wish fulfillment that I like.
If you haven't already, watch pic related. It was my favorite from 2018.

Attached: toji no miko.jpg (424x600, 79K)

People like you should be the staple for our anime industry today, so it's not necessarily a bad thing as they can expect larger market, desu..
>As the broader its skirt become, the higher the summit of a mountain reaches in general..
じゃあこんど機会があったら…

Attached: u_smug.jpg (657x634, 36K)

I think I watch more anime than you, so I can't expect everything I watch to be a masterpiece. I don't really value my time that much so I watch a lot of mediocre anime just because I can.

In that case, I am not a permissive 通人 like you who sit in a seat of sumo stadium whole day squinting his eyes especially on matches of green wrestlers.
I'm just one of that fickle audiences who acclaim or heckle on a whim desu.

Attached: umaru_smug3.png (768x432, 472K)

Man if only you didn't use permissive, fickle audiences, acclaim and heckle maybe you would have sounded natural.

ありがとうございます。
>so what's are proper options?
>generous, selfish audiences, praise and taunt?

>what's
Rewrite, rewrite, rewrite.
>In that case
Unnecessary
>I am not x like you
Rude desu
>Sumo part
tl;dr
>I'm just one of that fickle audiences who acclaim or heckle on a whim desu.
I'm just one of those people that say a show is good or bad on a whim desu.

たいてい私はプロットなしてアニメが好きじゃないけど、日本語であればアニメを見てることが大丈夫です。理解することで私は忙しいと思います。

You can notice that the average English speaker has a very casual vocabulary and uses a lot of simplified terms instead of being specific.

The version 師匠 made is no bad in terms of natural.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_13.15_[2019.07.11_01.19.49].jpg (1920x1080, 278K)

ありがとうございます。
>Rude desu
>あなたの辞書にもこんな言葉があったんだね…

Attached: y_cry3.jpg (220x151, 9K)

Permissive is fine but rare, it's the 'I am not x like you' construction that's rude, you usually say that to be rude, comparing yourself to someone else while saying you're better than them.
>なして
>everything after 日本語

Attached: nonnonbiyori134.png (385x307, 144K)

>ムとジョンとどちらが強いですか。
>Given Translation: "Who is stronger, Tom or John?"
The translation, "Who is strong, Tom or John?" is also acceptable, correct, or is the comparative implied?

>なして
typo of なしで

>everything after 日本語
教えてくださあああい

Attached: dumbbell_18.jpg (1280x720, 158K)

>Shitty English site for learning Japanese
lol
I only deciphered what you meant after 5 minutes and only because I speak English. I'm not good enough to write all of that correctly fast, all I'll give you is that saying that if anime is in Japanese sounds beyond retarded since it's always in Japanese, unless you watch dubs then kill yourself. What you meant is either you watch without subs or with Japanese subs so either way you need 字幕 in there and then you work around that, saying that you focus on that instead of plot, not saying you're fucking busy with it like in English and not overusing こと with every verb you see.

For those here who primarily learn by consuming content meant for native speakers, what do you regularly review, (using Anki, or whatever)?

>>Shitty English site for learning Japanese
Please elaborate.

It was more like it's fine if it's in Japanese because then I am focused on comprehension. But point taken.

Also I have never watched dubs because they're disgusting.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_07.58_[2019.07.11_01.13.18].jpg (1920x1080, 179K)

iknow.jp/courses/764467

>たいてい私はプロットなし”の”アニメが好きじゃないけど、日本語であればアニメを見てること”は”大丈夫です。理解することで私は忙しい”でしょうから”。
”日本語であればアニメを見ることは大丈夫です” is bit unnatural though, as it sounds like you are talking about anime in general, not correctly conveying your intention that you can tolerate even those boring anime as far as it's in Japanese.
So it'd be nicer if it's
>日本語でさえあればどんなアニメでも見てられます
"理解することで私は忙しいと思います" is grammatically correct, but explicitly telling the reason why you can tolerate it will make it sound more natural here I think desu.
>どちらが
>which one
So it is comparing them.
>But I have no idea about the nuance of saying "who is strong, X or Y" instead of "who is stronger, X or Y"..

Attached: y_noidea.jpg (312x233, 21K)

ありがとうございます。次はもっと頑張ります。

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_14.28_[2019.07.11_01.21.17].jpg (1920x1080, 249K)

ダンベルも観ました。
少なくともちょっと新しいことはやろうとしていたと思います。あと歌がよかった。
デブエルフの方も早くアニメにして欲しいです。

Attached: dumbbell.jpg (400x220, 53K)

>デブエルフの方も早くアニメにして欲しいです。
君もデブ専オージーも..

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_08.26_[2019.07.11_01.13.52].jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

>Jow ForumsとかYoutubeでちょっと珍しい単語を見るとすぐ使ってしまいます
どんな風に聞こえるんだろう?去年ぐらいにこのスレに語彙はすごいブラジルアノンがいて、なんかタイムスリップしてきた侍みたいな日本語で書きこんでたけど、ああいう風に聞こえるのかな?
最近はどうしてるの?お兄ちゃん元気?

Attached: u_curious.jpg (337x337, 17K)

>>which one
>So it is comparing them.
Well, no. That might be implied by "どちらが," of which I am unsure, (whence proceeded my original question), but saying, "which/who is," does not by itself imply comparison, at least not in English, and does not if the comparative form of the adjective is not used.
>But I have no idea about the nuance of saying "who is strong, X or Y" instead of "who is stronger, X or Y"..
This is a fairly basic distinction in English, but the ambiguity between comparative and the regular forms in Japanese, (at least when providing the proper English translation), is something that frequently confuses me.
Surely:
>誰が強いですか?
>Who is strong?
and:
>誰が強いのですか?
>Who is stronger?
must have clearly distinct meanings in Japanese.
(I'm assuming "誰が強いのですか?" is grammatical).

'Who is strong' is something you'll never say probably because it's kind of unnatural and there's always a better way to say it, especially in a x or y situation, I'd only see this working as "Who's strong here, I need some help with carrying boxes" or something like that, but even then there are better options like "Which of you guys are strong" or "I need a bunch of strongmen to help me out, are there any here?".
Basically 'Who is strong' asks how many strong people there are.
'Who is stronger/the strongest' wants only 1 person, the strongest one out of a list of choices. You can say it either way, usually -er is used for 2 choices while the -est is for more than 2 but it's not a rule, people say it however they see fit.

A: Who is strong, Tom, John, Chad or Susie
B: Tom, John and Chad are strong

A: Who is stronger/the strongest amongst these people, Tom, John, Chad or Susie
B: Chad is the strongest motherfucker in the hood and I'd let him fuck my entire family any day.

===BONUS・TIME====
'Who' is used in questions for people, you use 'which' for probably everything else and mixed lists with people and other things.
A: Which of these are strong: an elephant, a horse, a parrot or a cat.
B: Elephant and horse

A: Which one of these is stronger/the strongest: Chad, a shark, an elephant or a train running at 100 km/h
B: Obviously Chad

Also the bullshit the American is posting isn't a good translation so 気をつけよう、自分で考えよう
You sound like a foreigner trying out rare words he randomly learned somewhere, straining his remaining 3 gray cells with a hard task of coming up with the most retarded sentence possible, while there are way easier choices available that will get your thought across way easier to more people.

Attached: DEAR SGT NEAL.png (1233x238, 29K)

>昼休みに入る前に外でないと駅まで飯食いにいけないし
If we don't get out the school before lunch break, we can not go to the station to have lunch
興味もないのに、無理して観る必要はないんじゃない?
「うちの娘」も「二回攻撃のお母さん」も、大して面白くねーよ
今季の日常系は「女子高生の無だづかい」
今季の推薦 日本語スレに遊びにおいで

Attached: 1545039987086.jpg (2048x2048, 663K)

最近モンハンワールドをやっています

>iknow.jp/courses/764467
What I take from this is that the sentence I posted does not imply a comparison, in contrast to the translation provided by DoJG, as neither "ほうが," nor "より" is present.

Both sentences, with the translations provided
>A: トムとジョンとどちらが強いですか。
>Who is stronger, Tom or John?
>B: トムのほうが(ジョンより)強いです。
>Tom is stronger (than John).
My confusion is that the first sentence seems to just ask, "Who is strong, Tom or John?" but the translation and the answer assumes a comparison, for what reason, I don't understand.

You're trying to learn Japanese while comparing everything to English, stop you fucking retard

Attached: 1550729158983.jpg (277x217, 42K)

I can't read, disregard this post
In both languages "who is strong" doesn't really make sense. Who is the judge to what is strong and what is not strong? So it's by default a comparison.

>In both languages "who is strong" doesn't really make sense. Who is the judge to what is strong and what is not strong?
In both languages it's a basic fucking question but strong is one of the worst words for the example.
>So it's by default a comparison.
No

Attached: yakuza2.jpg (1024x576, 57K)

Reminder to do your reps :)

Attached: 1UJW5PIYjsZK_2019-07-15-15%3A19%3A47.png (541x395, 29K)

Terrible. Why didn't you just do them on your phone.

Attached: [Erai-raws] Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru - 02 [1080p].mkv_snapshot_17.21_[2019.07.11_01.24.52].jpg (1920x1080, 243K)

I did :>
Still really nice to know how much you'd have to do if you end up slacking.
>though I didn't add new cards on phone, so now I will have to go through that backlog

Attached: [Elysium]Lucky.Star.EP01(BD.720p.AAC.DA)[0BB96AD8]00:08:42.522.png (1280x720, 1.21M)

If you ask which one is strong, then obviously the other one is not strong. Not strong relative to what? The other guy.

>core6k
>imabi
>DoJG
Is there any point to doing all of that together, instead of simply mining vocabulary and sentences straight off anime and LNs?
>Math
That sounds wrong. Mathematics is meant to practised, not to be rote-memorised (unless you're something like an engineer who thinks of mathematics as a set of orderly procedures with set solutions).

I appreciate the help, (much less the characteristically accompanying abuse, but I'm used to it from you by now), but:
>You're trying to learn Japanese while comparing everything to English
Okay, abstracting from a particular language, "トムとジョンとどちらが強いですか," strictly does not imply a comparison. I don't know how to interpret "どちら" literally to find a comparison.
>In both languages "who is strong" doesn't really make sense
Well, now that I think about, "Which one is strong," would be more natural, and still does not involve a comparison.
> Who is the judge to what is strong and what is not strong?
The person being asked.
As I stated above, one could say, "Which one is strong, Tom or John," as if you heard one of them was strong, but you don't know which one, so you ask, which is natural, and I don't see why, "Which one is strong: Tom or John?" isn't a very literal, natural, and valid translation of "ムとジョンとどちらが強いですか," and it seems I'm not finding a comparison not merely because I'm thinking in terms of English.
If the answer to my question is ultimately that a comparison isn't strictly grammatically implied, but that, for whatever reason, that it how the sentence ought to be interpreted, by convention or whatever, this is an answer I can accept. I just wanted to know whether I was missing something literal in the sentence, whether the translation was incorrect, or whether the proper interpretation is not strictly grammatical, which is something encountered in all languages.

Write shorter and less dumb posts if you want to get a (You) from me

Attached: doubt.jpg (461x439, 20K)

Is that a custom Imabi deck, or something you found online? If it is latter, where did you get it, and if it is the former, what sort of cards does it have?

The imabi deck is self made, so I don't forget what I learn.
As for the rest, I don't know, though I found them very helpful (even if Core is shabby), especially DoJG has some neat entries, but of course don't substitute proper practice.
>Math
It's just some formulas which I always
forgot, I would've added more if it wasn't so annoying to import .svg
Custom, it has the stuff I learned whilst reading through it (though I haven't finished yet)

>learned
Interesting, for a second I thought I made a mistake, but it turns out that "learnt" is just the British spelling

>ム
Who is stronger, Tom or John?
そもそも、日本語の形容詞に比較級はない
副詞「より」を付けて意味的に比較であることを示すだけ
だから、
contextにより
「誰が強いですか?」

Who is strong? / Who is stronger? / Who is the strongest?
となる。
教科書的には「より強い」、「最も強い/一番強い」となるが、副詞はあくまでも文の補助的要素。
ダンベルはエロいよな

Attached: 1535161381572.png (1024x576, 508K)

>トムとジョンとどちらが強いですか
>トムとジョンとどちらが強いのですか
Both are grammatical but there is not clear distinctive difference as you expect except the latter sounding emphasizing, and both are practically comparative in meaning asking which one is stronger.
And according to your (and of other posters) posts, the literal translation for
>Who is strong, Tom and John?
is
>トムとジョン、どちらが強い”人”ですか
>Who is strong one, Tom and John?

>強い人

強い人に屈服させられたいでーす
性的意味でね

I wonder which third world dungheap this animation was outsourced to.

Attached: Capture.png (1387x750, 1.84M)

watasi ha sekai de itiban tuyoku naritai dattebayo

いぢめてあげるな
自閉症の姐ちゃんが必死で書いている
とりあえす、尻を向けな
ジョジョの世界はジョジョの世界です

Attached: 1544549124358.jpg (480x271, 33K)

>ジョジョの世界はジョジョの世界です

Really? Because it looks like it was "animated" in the Philippines or Thailand or some other shithole.

With Japan changing it's age of majority in 2022, what will happen to 成人の日? Will they start celebrating it 2 years earlier then?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Youbian_dubian
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hukou_system

Attached: 0000200:02:43.997.png (1920x1080, 2.26M)

age of majority

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitōrei_Edict (Our Polish friend prolly knows where I mined this one from~)
>憂国慨世
>チラ見せ
bless this country
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_majority
>The word majority here refers to having greater years and being of full age as opposed to minority, the state of being a minor.
>Age of majority should not be confused with the age of maturity, age of sexual consent, marriageable age, school-leaving age, drinking age, driving age, voting age, smoking age, gambling age, etc., which each may be independent of and set at a different age from the age of majority.
>Although a person may attain the age of majority in a particular jurisdiction, they may still be subject to age-based restrictions regarding matters such as the right to vote or stand for elective office, act as a judge, and many others.

What is that dogshit on the left hand side?

私は (gibberish) 分からないからね

Attached: 74933830_p0_master1200.jpg (819x1200, 456K)

No idea

Attached: gintama165.png (976x720, 1.23M)

うなずくの とか

>しゃーんなろー

>オフィシャルファンBOOKの兵の書に書いてありました。
>いつも言ってるしゃーんなろーってどういう意味?という質問の答えです。
>「ウォリャ~!」みたいに気合いを入れる時のかけ声を、女の子テイストに可愛くアレンジしてみたのよ!!って書いてありました

youtube.com/watch?v=CvzqmNEwzHM
金的!

Attached: 0000000_05_16.024.png (1920x1080, 2.05M)

Thank you.

What does it mean?

満20歳のお祝いが満18歳に変わるだけ
2022年のみ、19歳と20歳も同時に祝われることになる
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_of_Age_Day
普通に
I don't know about nod or something

Attached: 1535773577031.jpg (1024x576, 57K)

Oh I think plenty of these manga authors know about the nod. Most of them write like they've got brain damage.

This isn't really for educational purposes more just for curiosity sake. Can someone post one video each depicting the following: slow early learner Japanese, regular casual Japanese, business Japanese, technical Japanese. I kind of want to see what the difference is at a glance.

Find them yourselves

Is there a reason WaniKani isn't in the guide for learning kanji/vocab? Is it a bad resource or is it just the paywall?

Probably it might be a matter about the sign language.
Mary is dumb person inherently

Im so-called pantuya in Japanese Thread
About whatever you want to know in Japanese, you go and can ask I and my friends the question
Come to Our Japanese Thread

Every user
Good Night

Attached: 1544351409914.jpg (1345x750, 216K)

It's not a bad resource but most people are opposed to putting money into a system that can be shut down at any moment with no way to export your progress to another app.

It's trash

that's a good point, I hadn't thought about that

Paywall content that you have to unlock step by step and can't progress through freely.

I still use it though being aware of the downsides.

ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/暗器
>雨冠
>冠
>top kanji radical
neat
> 胸糞が悪い
>胸
むな is usually used in compounds
>This change has caused confusion on the status of the holiday,
>
Good night! :)

Attached: 0000100_03_48.353.png (1920x1080, 1.57M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizontal_and_vertical_writing_in_East_Asian_scripts#Right-to-left_horizontal_writing
面白い

Attached: Sugoroku2500.jpg (2500x1480, 1.43M)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wa_(Japan)#The_word_Wa
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphic_pejoratives_in_written_Chinese

Anki isn't as useless for learning math as you might think. I use it to keep in mind the most important definitions and formulas, and to set up a reminder to review and do X exercises from a certain chapter of a textbook (after finishing each section, I would enter a blank card with 'Review Chapter Y' and do the review every time it comes up). I've tried self-studying math both with and without Anki, and even that little bit of help has proven to be immensely valuable for long-term expertise.

浦島太郎状態
罰一

core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/528.html Might also interest you
There are also other ways to use 甲斐core6000.neocities.org/dojg/entries/459.html

Attached: [REVO]Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind[BD,1080p] [BD0E1A0F]00_51_40.263.png (1920x1038, 2.36M)

暴走族
竹の子族

Attached: 2229581f.jpg (640x360, 54K)

youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-jA04OwAc

下乳
>右に出る者はない
>右に出る
>from the Chinese custom where the rightmost seat was the seat of honor
neat

Why am I keeping this alive, not like it will survive the night

Attached: 1024px-Yoyogi_dancers.jpg (1024x683, 227K)

I want to f*ck a japanese loli and have heard that the age of consent is very low in japan. To which prefecture do I have to go to take advantage of this low AOC law?

ばかな言葉なんていうのはとめるよ

Finally some company!
youtube.com/watch?v=f7TboWvVERU