Most difficult languages by native English speakers

Most difficult languages by native English speakers

Attached: oFbTauc.png (2000x2200, 842K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sljfaq.org/afaq/mora.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: Language Difficulty.png (1263x2532, 348K)

Heh nothing personnell kid

I'm sorry if I'm asking the wrong person but why is Japanese considered harder than Chinese? Doesn't Japanese have actually words that aren't just screams which makes it easier to learn?

Japanese also has 3 alphabets and a ton of bizarre honorifics. The language is so pant on head retarded that even Japanese people mess it up.

Honestly I am surprised I think Chinese will be harder for an English speaker. Definitely pronounce is harder.

>3 alphabets
Ah hiragana and katakana aren't so I think.

One thing is, Japanese uses fewer kanji than Chinese. But in Japanese we have different ways to say each kanji. So maybe learning that is the same difficult.

Ahhhhh, I wanna learn languages but it takes so long..
French, Russian and Japanese would be fun to know

I want to learn Russian

Joke's on you: the difficulty is symmetrical

Yeah it's a big country I want to visit, knowing the language would definitely help

What does that mean, I don't understand.

I don't think I've ever met a non-Chinese American who could speak Chinese, write sure but I've never met one who could speak it.

the reason why japanese is ranked so high because only low IQ people wanting to read their fap material want to learn it

Wait, so the same Kanji can mean different based on how you pronounce it? Or am I misunderstanding the Japanese language

He's trying to say that english should be just as difficult for japanese people to learn as japanese is for english people. I don't think that's true personally, English is a really easy language.

Why are native English speakers so retarded?

Sometimes the meaning is different. For example 便. By itself this means "flight".

But for example 大便 means "poop".

But mainly I mean the sound is different depends on if this kanji is with the other kanji or not. For example

水 is water and we say "mizu"
水槽 is water tank but water kanji is said sui. Suisou.

>Japanese also has 3 alphabets
that would make it easier not harder to learn (vis a vis Chinese), and they're not alphabets but syllabaries (two of them, hiragana and katakana) the other are Chinese characters (kanji)
>and a ton of bizarre honorifics
a lot of languages have honorific systems, it's not something specific to Japanese

Attached: tumblr_o4bdbg8X5D1uuqf4fo1_r6_1280.jpg (1280x592, 235K)

Probably honorifics is not so difficult as pronouns.

In English everyone just says "I". But in Japanese men can say watashi, boku, ore. It depends on the situation. and you can sound funny not to use the right one.

Should be 3-level for Italian (tu, Lei, Voi)

What's your personal opinion on the difficulties of the Jap language?
From what I've seen, the grammar is very easy and the pronunciation is even easier, but the writing and the formality-related stuff is tragic. What do you think about your language's grammar/pronunciation?

I think pronunciation is easy. Because it has 5 vowel sounds only. English has maybe 20 I think. I don't know about Italian. Grammar I think some things are easy some maybe difficult. Grammar of Japanese is harder for an English speaker than Romance language.

it's pretty well know that most of the times mutual intelligibility between two language varieties is not symmetrical, and one of the most cited examples is actually Portuguese-Spanish, where the former find it way easier to understand the latter unlike the other way around

source is based on data from the [American] Foreign Service Institute of the Department of State, generally students there are screened for good academic skills, they study 25 hours a week and generally they already know other languages

>But in Japanese we have different ways to say each kanji
Same in Chinese (obviously they don't have a kunyomi v onyomi distinction, but different kunyomi pronunciations)

>Voi
COSA???

> Voi
Not the same guy but in Italian you can use "voi" as the courtesy form for a singular person: it's most common in the South (it was influenced by Spanish domination I think) but I have heard and used it in the North where I live.
"Lei" is much more common but sometimes "voi" can be used, although I don't think there are specific rules on when to use it.
"Lei che ne pensa?"
"Voi che ne pensate?"
These two sentences might be potentially the same, depending on where you are and to whom you are talking.

>grammar
It probably is, but it wouldn't be all that difficult for a romance speaker, or better yet a German/Slav, that's what I was referring to
>pronunciation
Vowels and most consonants seem pretty easy and common but I don't understand what the 'special moras' N & Q mean

It's being looked down upon by some people I think, associated with fascism, for some reason.. that's what my hs literature teacher told me anyway

ok I've heard about "Voi" used as a pronome di cortesia, but certaintly they don't make a triple distinction between "tu" "Lei" and "Voi" isn't it? only between "tu" and "Lei/Voi"

>Slavic languages a little bit harder than German and easier than Chinese, Japanese or Korean
>

How mutually intelligible are turkic languages?
I know the general divide to Karluk (Uzbek and Uyghur), Kypschak (Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Tatar dialects), Oghuz (Turkish, Turkmen, Azeri) and Siberian turkic (Yakut, Tuva and other small misc. ones) but other than that no idea.
Though there's of course some inner differences like Crimean Tatars afaik spoke Kypschak dialect but due to Ottoman influence it got Oghuz'd. Then there's Russia and its influence of loanwords and such.

Japanese has actual grammar (chinese is just "i eat yesterday food") and the many readings is hard

Never understood why people think German is harder to learn than Spanish for English speakers
It's so similar but also more consistent

lol i have always suspected that portuguese is closer to english than french itself because i literally learned (bad) english overnight, everything was just too similar

swedish is also pretty fucking close but it is also a really easy language, i don't think it is as related

>but I don't understand what the 'special moras' N & Q mean
think of it this way, in Italian the word "otto" would have two syllables (ot-to) but in Japanese it would be three syllables (o-t-to) because ん/ン is a different kana

Possible, although I have never heard of it (but I don't study literature anyhow).
In terms of usage there are slight differences but what may make it a triple distinction is that they all use a different verb conjugation when forming a sentence (tu pensi, Lei pensa, Voi pensate) so it might be proposed as a three-way distinct form (after all, all the seigo and honorifics shit in Japanese is difficult because you don't know exactly when to use them and because they modify verbs and nouns).

>but in Japanese it would be three syllables
well in Japanese (and other languages like Latin and Sanskrit) syllabic weight is measured in "moras" not "syllables" but that distinction doesn't really matter right now
anyways you can learn more here sljfaq.org/afaq/mora.html

I didn't naruhodo shit
Why are 'N' & 'Q' listed as separate consonant sounds? Are they similar to, like, glottal stops or whatever?

You may also add that some people write Li/Vi etc with a capital consonant to emphasize formality (vorrei darLe/darVi), although that may just be a thing some people here in Sardinia do

I've studied Latin but I've never heard of anything similar to 'moras' in it, what do you mean by that?

I do know that Turkish and Azeri are basically the same language. The only difference is the vocabulary, from what I was told.

>but what may make it a triple distinction is that they all use a different verb conjugation when forming a sentence
that's not what the map is showing, in order to have a three (or more) level distinction of formality the words have to be different ways of addressing the speaker, in Italian in would either be "tu versus Lei" (two levels of distinction) or "tu versus Voi" (two levels of distinction), compare with some Central American or Chilean dialects where they make a distinction between "tú", "vos" AND "usted" (one of them being close and familiar, the other kinda formal and the other formal), same in Romanian between "tu", "dumneata" and "dumneavoastră"

>I didn't naruhodo shit
it's just a different way to parse words
>Why are 'N' & 'Q' listed as separate consonant sounds? Are they similar to, like, glottal stops or whatever?
"N" is uttered just like an "n" in other languages and "Q" (っ/ッ) just represents a gemination of the consonant that comes right after it, it does not represents a glottal stop

Map is wrong, we have 3 levels

no, see

*for

Voi sounds a bit more servile than lei, although they're both courtesy forms

I can't imagine how an english speaker could master all the conjugations of verbs in spanish in 600 hours

Really, they find learning a Slavic language as hard as learning Khmer?

We have three forms, although one is archaic

That's not exactly correct. Chinese grammar may seem non-existent but it's still there.
Your example would actually be something like "Yesterday, I eat [past tense particle] meal". It's subtle, yet quite difficult to master.

Gagavuz turkish is also very similar to Turkey turkish

onda vital el jómer don pepe y los globos aqui vejeta777 a todo gas

I'd say this is only accurate if you include having to read a newspaper because of the advanced vocabulary that requires more characters to learn.

But in terms of speaking, listening, grammar, and alphabet, this is way off. Whatever language you are exposed to early and immersed in you can become fluent. For me the hardest language I've ever tried to learn is Mongolian and Vietnamese, there are few resources, they don't have any similarities with other languages, they are super hard to pronounce. Korean for me is harder to pronounce than Mandarin, but easier to read and write.

how different is mongolian and turkic language ? a lot of turkey people say its similar on youtube comments so why its a level harder than all turkic language

İt sounds similar but I'd say that's all

This IS

TUX868MAL

Attached: TUX868MAL.jpg (497x275, 95K)

>bulgarian
>1100 hours

What? No way, our language is actually very easy. For a start, our alphabet is literally pronounced as the individual letters are pronounced in the words, so you just learn the alphabet's pronunciation and you can directly pronounce 90% of our words as they're just individual letters tied together. The problem probably comes from the Cyrillic script which spooks people but it's basically latin plus a couple other letters. Maybe I'm just biased but then again I know both English and Bulgarian and I can easily compare their difficulty.