I'm going to the Russian Deli in my town to awkwardly practice my Russian and buy Russian food products...

I'm going to the Russian Deli in my town to awkwardly practice my Russian and buy Russian food products. Any recommendations from Eastern Euros here for some good Slavic/Russian food?

Attached: 1509693395536.jpg (2592x1944, 1.93M)

If they have it my Polish coworker said the Russian stores in our area have the best smoked fish.

lidsky is a belarussian "kvass" and it's average

Kvas on the pic is good one. At least one on the left. Didn't try Dark one, don't even know how it is different from basci one.

Dark is just less sweet, has more hints of bread

>it's average
It depends what you compare it with. I remember such threads and saw pics from American Russian foods shops of some cheap fake kvasses, so comparing to sugar water with artificial flavouring and colors, it's good.

I don't like kvass... Something else?

Chocolate, sweets, pelmeni (you need to boil it), buckwheet (you need to boil it).

If you like soda, try Baikal or Tarhun. Tarhun is Georgian but popular. Baikal is sort of like if you mixed tea and cola. That's not an accurate way to describe it, but it's the only way I cab describe it. It's one of my favorites. Tarhun is a tarragon soda.

Obviously you have to try pelmeni if you've never had them. Get some smetana (sour cream but fattier). If you boil too many, fry them up as left overs, you'll thank me later. Korean salad is a carrot salad that's very good also. If you like snacking while you drink beer, grab some sukhari (I don't know the English for it). They're little bread bits that are twice baked and often flavored. Most Russian stores in my area also have chechil which is an Armenian smoked and brined cheese which is also wonderful with beer.

If you have any more questions post them. I love Russian food and miss eating it.

try holodets

Attached: UMA DELICIA.jpg (720x540, 104K)

Wew, now this was awkward as fuck. I'm sad I made it this awkward with the cashier (it was a cute Russian girl in her early 20s..). There was way too much shit I didn't knew and so I only bought some kvass, beer, chocolate and cookies. I will go back to get the pelmeni and some Russian cheese one day too (there was so many to choose for cheeses and meats I dit t know what to take!)

The small yellow thing is a strawberry candy which the cashier put in my bag just before I left. I wanted to say "этo пoдapoк?" but I was a bit stressed about my Russian so I said "этo пopядoк?" which didn't make any sense. The girl looked at me confused and then I switched to French to ask her what it was to which she just said it was free stuff and shit as a gift. Fuck I hope next time I will have normal interactions, and not be too shy to ask for tips on food by the employees

Fuck I saw tarhun lemonade and was wondering what it was, apparently it's estragon carbonated drink, is it good??

Attached: 15634842976786174116990276842575.jpg (2736x2736, 2.27M)

Both beers are Ukrainian, Obolon was okay last time I drink it some years ago. Alenka is most basic and probably most popular chocolate in Russia. Pryaniki (gingerbread cookies) seems okay.

Montreal?

>The small yellow thing is a strawberry candy
It's a vitamin C candy btw

frozen pirozhki, beer and dry fish, buratino and pryaniki. That's what I usually get but kvas is also OK.

Longueuil, why?

Phew nice at least it's not shit

Still candy?

Goddamn I've alwats hated those pryaniks they are disgusting

>why
Just wondering
>Still candy?
I mean it's more than a vitamin really
Also try kefir next time and buy smetana and/or adzhika sauce for pelmeni. And don't be so shy!

Dunno how it's in Canada but normally you can get Kefir and Smetana at all German shops here.

get yourself Kvas, Pelmeni(meat buns frozen cook them and add some butter or creme fresh), Halva, Pryaniki (mint and caramel), Sushki (ring dough cookies good with tea), Vareniki with potato. Canned in glasses stuff like Grechka, Baklazhany, Chocolate (russian Chocolate is actually pretty luxury level) black tea. damn. get their black tea.. Fish smoked(seledka good with cooked potato and onions.) and dry(with beer) Rye bread. get yourself caned Borsh (its not so good as home made by russian but you will at least taste it)

Attached: Birnen-Pudding-Päckchen.jpg (969x1508, 288K)

Dude wtf, everything on your pic is absolute garbage

:(
I will go back and buy the stuff you told me, I was just very shy because I had make the entire store back and forth for like 3 times and felt the 2 employees were looking at me hard so I rushed and bought random stuff. I will go back for the stuff suggested in this thread

Kéfir and Smetana are not very rare here. I will try to buy the pelmeni though, what is adzhika sauce? I don't find info on it..

It's a sauce made of red peppers, garlic, herbs, and spices. Some absolute madmans add horseradish to it