Is it true that French is very different from other Romance languages because of Germanic influence?

Is it true that French is very different from other Romance languages because of Germanic influence?

Attached: france.jpg (600x337, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00365006/PDF/vaissiere_1996_from_latin_to_modern_French.pdf
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonème_Jow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>different from other Romance languages because of Germanic influence
Yes,
>very different
No

Only phonetically

How did Germanic influence affect French phonetics?

why do you spergs say we speak 'spanish with french accent'?
french pronounce is totally broken and different

r and u mostly and eu

I thought the phonetic shit was because Gallo-Roman speech was Latin with Gallic pronounciation

halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00365006/PDF/vaissiere_1996_from_latin_to_modern_French.pdf

What?

Baguette bros I've been trying to learn french on duolingo for the past month. Honestly, that shit fucking sucks. What materials would you recommend someone who wants a more in depth understanding of you vernacular?

Nobody says this

I can read through a text written in Portuguese, Spanish or Italian and more or less understand what's going on but I can't understand a word of German

>What materials would you recommend someone who wants a more in depth understanding of you vernacular?
By a grammar and work every day. It's the only way to have a good grasp on a language

Their accent is different but so.is Spanish accent that has basque donation none of us would be understood by italians

>us

Do you think having conversations with a native speaker would help? Also, how the fuck do you say "Français"? That "r" sound is so hard it always keeps on coming out sounding like "fwance" with a bit of phlegm.

It s so mellow. Nothing but a dead beat glistened in cherry drop shining, pink overboard

Dunno if that makes sens but when pronouncing the R of France with an english accent (fwance) it's a throat sound whereas pronouncing it with my normal french voice it's a palatal sound. Kind of the same noise you do before spitting

r prononcitation comes from a southern trend of the XVII-XVIIIth century
fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonème_Jow Forums_en_fran%C3%A7ais
>Le r roulé, qui était utilisé en latin, a été conservé en ancien français et en moyen français jusqu'au xviie siècle dans les centres urbains et jusqu'au xviiie siècle ailleurs. Il a alors été remplacé par le r grasseyé4 pour réaliser le son du r géminé.

>Do you think having conversations with a native speaker would help?
Yes
>That "r" sound is so hard it always keeps on coming out sounding like "fwance" with a bit of phlegm.
Hear a native say it then try speaking really slowly

We need to stop this fucking "France is Germanic" for Good already. Ffs only Moselle and a little part of Haut de France has Germanic dialects. Rest is Latin/Romance. Fuck off

Attached: 2000px-Langues_de_la_France.svg.png (2000x1898, 1.72M)

*Alsace-Moselle I meant*

>No
Yes, it is.

Thanks boise. I've been trying to work on that one for weeks now. Somehow its been easier to pronounce the r sound in words like Paris and Parle

Nobody in the history says that shit kkkk

Mostly Gallic influence

AHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

You are germanics though

t. Delusional """"French"""-American

>Here comes the genetic muttoid Jow Forums expert

Please do the world a favor and kill yourself

>different
Yes
>because of Germanic influence
No. Oïl languages are farer from the Mediterranean and evolved faster away from Latin, simple as

French-Flanders looks like heaven. Their local dialect is barely understandable though.

Attached: Westhoek.jpg (1440x720, 228K)

Then, why are we handsome and classy ?

Oh wait, that's actually Loker in West-Flanders (Belgium), but French Flanders look the same.

With pronunciation yes, French definitely "sounds" very different from Spanish/Italian/Portuguese. The vocabulary isn't really different and if you look at it you won't see many Germanic words.

For example people often mention the fact French is the only Romance language that has - like English and every Germanic language - propositions of the form "pronoun + verb" instead of pronounless verbs in Latin and other Romance languages as a proof of Germanic influence on French. That's bullshit. Common speech in Spanish also tends to use the "pronoun + verb" form. The language evolved a bit slower so the original form still exists in formal speech whereas it disappeared long ago in French, but well after the Franks in France had stopped speaking Frankish. There are processes in the Romance languages: the conversion of cases into a large inventory of articles that act as disjointed suffixes (le, la, les, de, des, etc.), the conversion of complex conjugation forms into pronouns that act as disjointed prefixes, etc. who exist since the Latin of Cicero. These processes acted more throughoutfully in French because it is more isolated